(Archived) Updating from Windows V5 beta to public release broke saved search

danlefeb

I had a saved search like this:

tag:"next action" tag:"@work" reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

This search simply shows me what I have tagged at work, has a reminder but that reminder is incomplete.  Worked great in the V5 beta.  As soon as I updated to the public release for the Windows V5 app, the -reminderDoneTime:* portion of the search seems to have broken.  That is to say that I can remove that section and see the notes that I need to (notes that have reminders) but of course it also shows all notes that have reminders even if they are complete.    As soon as I add the -reminderDoneTime:* some of my notes disappear.   The odd thing is, I have notes disappear that have complete and incomplete reminders, so I have yet to pinpoint exactly what is the common denominator between those notes disappearing.  

I did notice, though, that when I complete a reminder now it doesn't show a strikethrough like it did previously - the reminder seems to just disappear.   Is this a known issue, a purposeful decision to remove the ability to search for completed/incomplete reminders or was there something in the public release update that I need to tweak the flag to compensate for?   Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Not sure of your problem as I don't have V5 installed, but need to confirm that there has not been a 'public' release of V5 for Windows yet.

Best regards

Chris

Per Heather's post...I guess it's a public release.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41527-version-5-release-date/?p=224043

But in light of the mixed messages from the email broadcast from Tues/Wed, I'd hesitate to say for certain.

Thanks Burgers,

Reading the blog it would certainly appear that it is going live in about a week. Which makes sense as I have tried to update and not got anywhere. I have also followed the email and that also says it is a beta.

Think I will install/update on one of my other laptops over the weekend!

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Burgers,

Reading the blog it would certainly appear that it is going live in about a week. Which makes sense as I have tried to update and not got anywhere. I have also followed the email and that also says it is a beta.

Think I will install/update on one of my other laptops over the weekend!

Best regards

Chris

The blog say (emphasis mine):

"The auto-update for existing Windows users will begin within a week. If you don’t want to wait, download now and install."

The title is:

"Evernote 5 for Windows Desktop is Here"

I interpret (perhaps incorrectly) that to mean V5 is now live but the  auto update will not start yet. 

Would you mind pointing out to me where the email clearly & specifically states that it's still in beta, as I did not notice that.

Hi Burgers,

Two things:

The email is titled: Coming Soon: Evernote 5 for Windows

And when you click on the link in the email, then click on this:

Current users may review our tips for updating to Evernote 5 for Windows Desktop. 

It takes you to a KB with questions and answers and this is the second:

When should I upgrade?
Note: Until official launch, only users who enable their application options to "Update to pre-release versions when available" will get the update.

So going this route makes it fairly clear that it is not yet released!

Best regards

Chris
  • Level 5*

As I understand it, the current release is a "GA Release", meaning it's intended for General Availability, and considered by Evernote to be release quality. So in that sense anyone can use it, but in the sense of automatic updates, this doesn't count unless you have the "Update to pre-release version when available" option checked -- you need to go online to download and install it. So it's a little betwixt and between.

Hi Burgers,

Two things:

The email is titled: Coming Soon: Evernote 5 for Windows

And when you click on the link in the email, then click on this:

Current users may review our tips for updating to Evernote 5 for Windows Desktop. 

It takes you to a KP with questions and answers and this is the second:

When should I upgrade?

Note: Until official launch, only users who enable their application options to "Update to pre-release versions when available" will get the update.

So going this route makes it fairly clear that it is not yet released!

Best regards

Chris

WRT #1 - the "coming soon" is part of the confusion because...

WRT #2 - the page looks like a live update including a link to download the latest version.  Absolutely no mention of it still being in beta.

The email says V5 is "coming soon" but links to a download that is still beta. This is confusing b/c if it's "coming soon", why is there a download link? I may have overlooked something. But nowhere on that page did I see where it specifies V5 is still beta. So a user is left to wonder if the "coming soon" part of the email is incorrect. This would not have been confusing if the link specified it was to download the beta version. So if you don't want to be on the beta train, don't install it.

So a user must read the email, click the link to find what's new, NOT click the big green DOWNLOAD link & instead click a second (smaller) optional link (tips) below that in order to get some confirmation that this may still be in beta.  Sorry, but I don't think that's clearly & specifically stating the V5 is still in beta & I suspect more than a few users may have unintentionally installed a beta version.  That's not good b/c as we all know, there are risks associated with using a beta.

I think this email & web page are very poor in conveying the status of V5.  In fact, even now, a day later, it still seems to be unclear as to whether this is a public release or not.  Personally, I don't care because I won't be installing it for a while.  (I'm not an early adopter & did not participate in the beta testing since I am dealing with other, ongoing Evernote issues related to my very large database).  I only got involved when replying to this thread:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41527-version-5-release-date/

Hi Burgers,

Beta, not officially launched, it all means the same to a novice. 

Either way, I agree there is some confusion.

I may try it on another computer over the weekend.

Best regards

Chris

danlefeb

I see the search you are doing as working correctly here.

reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

Does work for me and shows uncompleted reminders.

There is a setting with reminders that allows you to see completed reminders. You can change it by clicking on the cog in the reminders section of the note list.

Also with regards to public/beta:

Thanks dlu for your efforts and your team. Has the official release of v5 now happened ?

I am assuming so, I can see this when checking for an update:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/1c07db6d-7e43-4a88-a4c0-91b5beaf3cf2/fa1f295ebf56dda9b96ea8cb24aaadb6

Yes, if you're a beta user, you'll see the auto update prompt as spg SCOTT has shown. We're going to prompt non-beta users later on. We wanted to give them a chance to read about the update before being prompted to update
So the way I see it, public but with a slow release.

danlefeb

I see the search you are doing as working correctly here.

reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

Does work for me and shows uncompleted reminders.

There is a setting with reminders that allows you to see completed reminders. You can change it by clicking on the cog in the reminders section of the note list.

Thanks for the reply!   Hmm, yeah I've got that unchecked.  But really the search should automatically filter out the note as soon as I check the reminder as done so that option is irrelevant at that point.   Which is exactly what I want.  I'll have to keep playing with it to see if I can figure out why its not working with this latest release when it worked in all of the previous V5 betas.

So the way I see it, public but with a slow release.

That may be what's going on. IIRC, for public V4 launch as well as some other significant changes, EN made it clear there would be a slow rollout.  (Which I think is wise.  Even when it's a public release, you're most likely going to find bugs/issues that were overlooked in the beta testing.)  But eager beavers could get the version from a download.  If that's what they are doing now, it would have been helpful to make this clear & avoid the confusion.

Thanks for that link jefito.   I see the difference between clearing and completing, so I apologize for using incorrect terminology.  However I still think its a bug.  Worked as expected in previous versions of Evernote for Windows and now it doesn't.  I just did a test and using the same saved search mentioned in my original post I get 10 notes with reminders in Evernote for Windows.   When I log into the Evernote web app and pull up that same saved search I get 40 notes with reminders.   So....not the same.   For now it looks like I'll go back to using the Evernote web app since that pulls up my saved searches correctly until this bug is resolved.

Archived