I miss "Hide Unassigned Tags"

Santa in Oz

• Level 5*

If you click on: View > Show Unassigned TagsĀ should be the second last option. On the Windows desktop version anyway.

In the latest V5, it's checked, but I can click that to my heart's content and it never unchecks, and it doesn't appear to work anyways.
  • 2 weeks later...

Please fix this. I used it combined with CTRL+Click a tag1+Click tag2 to get a view of all the notes with tag1 and tag2 as well as a filtered list of the other tags that are also present on the notes with tag1 and tag2. I have been fighting for almost a year or more to get compound tag selection fixed and now show unassigned seems like it is going out the door as well.

Just updated to 5.0.2.1332, and it's still missing... could someone from Evernote at least tell us whether it will be coming back at all or not? It is really frustrating to be paying for a product, and relying on it in my workflow,Ā  when certain features are suddenly removed without warning!

Just to echo what everyone here has already said ...

Ā 

Evernote - please please put this feature back in! It's so important to people's workflow! It is one of the main things that made Evernote so powerful. The ability to quickly drill down on tags that are within the context of your current results is what tags are all about. Otherwise they're not much more than just categories.

Ā 

I found it annoying that this functionality wasn't included in the Android app, but now it's gone in the Windows client too!

Ā 

I completely agree with this earlier comment:

Ā 

It really annoys me how sometime Evernote goes one step forward and 2 steps back :(.

• Level 5*

I can't believe that it's so difficult for the Evernote staff to put a simple "Yes..." or "No...." in here...

This is primarily a user forum; sometimes they chime in, and sometimes they do not. Not sure that this is coming back, frankly. I am guessing that the treatment of tag display is undergoing some thought/redesign at this time.

• Level 5*

This is not funny, seriously.

Ā 

I started paying for Evernote Premium because it was fullfilling my needs. Hiding unassigned tags was a very important feature for me. Now that they got my money, they are removing features??

They remove features sometimes. Not sure why this one was taken out, or whether it's coming back in its original form; I'm guessing that there was some dissatisfaction with the way that that worked,and they have nothing to replace it with yet, though I don't know that for sure.

Ditto, please bring back, at least until EN figures out what a new fix might be.

yes, very important feature - but we can hope: the code is still working correct "inside" version 5.0.2 - if you press "Ctrl+Alt+T" you can change the view ... not in the sidebar, but seems to be technically feasibleo

Ā 

f089ff7f-5260-41f2-b61a-43b481554614.png

+1. I use tags heavily and being able to hide unassigned tags is critical for me. I had to uninstall V5 and revert back to 4.x. Please add this feature back!

Ā 

I talked to the Evernote support staff, and their response was that they have improved the search so much that no one would need this old functionality anymore. Sorry, but that doesn't work for me.Ā 

This is a very bad moment for Evernote as it seems they lost track of their philosophy... Tags are dynamic and notebooks are static. So, inside a static element as a notebook, I must be able to see the dynamic elements that apply to that element only. Or else, how can I understand my notebooks and their logic? I think this is a big mistake, bigger than it looks...

• Level 5*

This is a very bad moment for Evernote as it seems they lost track of their philosophy... Tags are dynamic and notebooks are static. So, inside a static element as a notebook, I must be able to see the dynamic elements that apply to that element only. Or else, how can I understand my notebooks and their logic? I think this is a big mistake, bigger than it looks...

So since Show/Hide Unassigned Tags seems to be absent, maybe never to return, why not check out Alt+Shift+T?

Ā 

and why is the search that good? if inside a notebook i can't search for the tags that apply to that notebook, then the search is failing...

Search is fine -- it's for finding notes, not for tags, and it's basically working the same as it ever has. However, it would be nice to filter the tag tree in various ways (including in the context of a notebook). As an alternative, it looks like Evernote is pushing for doing the filtering directly off the search panel above the note list, using Alt+Shift+T or by clicking on the tag icon in the search panel. I believe that this should show you a list of the tags available in your current context (notebook, stack or All Notes). Pick from there, and subsequent tag selections should narrow accordingly. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working perfectly just yet.

• Level 5*

This is truly a bummer. I miss this feature a lot.

Ā 

Popping down a search field doesn't do it for me. I want the list to persist in the left panel.Ā 

Ā 

:(

Understood that's not what was there, and it's not doing anything to filter the tag tree, which is something I've hoped for too, but this is there now, and it's not that discoverable, and it could be useful to some folks, so I'm pushing it a bit myself (having only recently figured out how it works (sort of).

Awesome.Ā 

Ā 

With all my frustations with v5 (and subsequent returning back to v4.7), it attracted me to this forum.... which attracted me to this thread...

Ā 

Which introduced me to the feature "hide unassigned tags" -- which is frikken awesome and improves my current workflows (the opposite of what v5 did).

Ā 

If this was version 5's true purpose for me (learning about this feature) then I'm a happy camper. B)

Maybe they'll get the message if we all downgrade back to version 4 (if those of us who miss this feature haven't already done so). I know for me there 's no way I'm going back to 5 until this is fixed; I saw no new features that justified giving up Hide Unassigned Tags.

This is not funny, seriously.

Ā 

I started paying for Evernote Premium because it was fullfilling my needs. Hiding unassigned tags was a very important feature for me. Now that they got my money, they are removing features??

Ā 

I'm stunned as well that the Hide Unassigned Tags feature has been removed. I have lots of notebooks and lots of tags. It was so very, very handy to click on a notebook, then hide unassigned tags, to find what I needed. I just don't understand such a decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Ā 

Just to echo what everyone here has already said ...

Ā 

Evernote - please please put this feature back in! It's so important to people's workflow! It is one of the main things that made Evernote so powerful. The ability to quickly drill down on tags that are within the context of your current results is what tags are all about. Otherwise they're not much more than just categories.

Ā 

I found it annoying that this functionality wasn't included in the Android app, but now it's gone in the Windows client too!

Ā 

I completely agree with this earlier comment:

Ā 

It really annoys me how sometime Evernote goes one step forward and 2 steps back :(.

Ā 

bump

Ā 

Really need this back.Ā  I am a GTDr and this is a huge step backwards.

• Level 5*

In 2010 this was a big feature and announcment by evernote.Ā  See their blog post from June 2010 announcing it.

Ā 

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2010/06/03/evernote-for-windows-update-3/

Ā 

I feel like someone did a bait and switch.

That was then, this is now. Software changes, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. If the lack of this feature is so onerous to your workflow, you can stop paying for the service, or downgrade to a version 4 version.

Ā 

At a guess, I think that Evernote may have somehow concluded that the Hide Assigned Tags functionality was confusing to users, and probably not easily discoverable. I.e., it had a relatively high support cost. They have added a new bit of functionality that allows you to drill down by only showing you appropriate tags as you add them, but that's not easily discoverable either (see shortcut key Alt+Shift+T), and there are some extra problems related to implementation (which I've posted elsewhere for them). Not sure what the answer is, but in general, I'd given up using the tag tree anyways, so it's not as big a deal to me as it is for some. Maybe it ill come back.

Ā 

In 2010 this was a big feature and announcment by evernote.Ā  See their blog post from June 2010 announcing it.

Ā 

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2010/06/03/evernote-for-windows-update-3/

Ā 

I feel like someone did a bait and switch.

That was then, this is now. Software changes, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. If the lack of this feature is so onerous to your workflow, you can stop paying for the service, or downgrade to a version 4 version.

Ā 

At a guess, I think that Evernote may have somehow concluded that the Hide Assigned Tags functionality was confusing to users, and probably not easily discoverable. I.e., it had a relatively high support cost. They have added a new bit of functionality that allows you to drill down by only showing you appropriate tags as you add them, but that's not easily discoverable either (see shortcut key Alt+Shift+T), and there are some extra problems related to implementation (which I've posted elsewhere for them). Not sure what the answer is, but in general, I'd given up using the tag tree anyways, so it's not as big a deal to me as it is for some. Maybe it ill come back.

Ā 

Ā 

Sure, I could cancel my service, but I've invested too much time in setting up separate notebooks and careful tagging to do that. What I Ā would like is for a very useful feature to be restored.

Ā 

But your tip about Alt+Shift+T is appreciated and useful.

Ā 

MichaelĀ 

Ok, "hide anassign tags" deprecated (for now at least).

Ā 

I have Evernote for Windows desktop 5.0.3.1614 Public. I have notes about Windows 7 in my notebooks. Tags of it: "Protocols", "Instructions", "Info", "Desktop", "Server", "Programming", etc.

I use Win+Shift+F for fast search. I put "Windows 7" in search and I get search result. How can I quickly filter this search by tags "Protocols"+"Desktop"+"Programming" using some sort of new ideology, which implements 4.x functionality of "Hide anassigned tags" + tag multiselect at left panel?

Ā 

FYI, in 5.0.x there is no "hide anassigned tags", tag multiselect in left panel is not working without resetting search string (evernote just permits multiselect), alt+shift+t is not working (there is a glitch when I trying to enter multiple tags using only keyboard; clicking on "Click to filter by tag" resetting search string).

• Level 5*

Ok, "hide anassign tags" deprecated (for now at least).

Ā 

I have Evernote for Windows desktop 5.0.3.1614 Public. I have notes about Windows 7 in my notebooks. Tags of it: "Protocols", "Instructions", "Info", "Desktop", "Server", "Programming", etc.

I use Win+Shift+F for fast search. I put "Windows 7" in search and I get search result. How can I quickly filter this search by tags "Protocols"+"Desktop"+"Programming" using some sort of new ideology, which implements 4.x functionality of "Hide anassigned tags" + tag multiselect at left panel?

There is no way to do this using the tag tree in the left panel.

What happens when I try your search:

* hit Win+Shift+F, type "Windows 7"

* The "Click to select tag" prompt is now showing in the search control over the note list, click it and proceed...

~or~

* Hit Alt+Shift+T twice. You should get prompted for relevant tags. Proceed...

* Use the keyboard to select one (cursor up and down, or type letters to match existing tags; click Enter to select). The tag prompting should continue, with a smaller tag list.

Ā 

FYI, in 5.0.x there is no "hide anassigned tags", tag multiselect in left panel is not working without resetting search string (evernote just permits multiselect), alt+shift+t is not working (there is a glitch when I trying to enter multiple tags using only keyboard; clicking on "Click to filter by tag" resetting search string).

What you report is evidently by design: hit Alt+Shift+T starts the tagging process (to select more tags, click on the ; hit it again, and it clears the tags (I don't see it clearing the whole search string).
  • Level 5

Or... type into search "Windows 7"
Ā 
Tap the tag filter over the resulting search results
ScreenClip.png

Ā 

Ā 

When you click into that "Click to filter by tag" you get a short list of only the tags (and how many notes in each tag) that are contained in the search results.

So arguably better even than hiding unassigned tags. Ā You're only seeing tags relevant to your search results.

Ā 

In your case you may simply see just the tags:Ā "Protocols", "Instructions", "Info", "Desktop", "Server", "Programming"

Ā 

You could be at Windows 7:Protocols with two mouse clicks after entering the search phrase. Ā 4 mouse clicks if you needed Protocols+Desktop+Programming

The difference is that you're now clicking those from a very short list rather than a long sprawling unfiltered list (don't know about you but I have hundreds of nested tags).

Ā 

And if you find yourself doing that a lot.

I'd save searches for:

"Windows 7" tag:Protocols

"Windows 7" tag:Instructions

etcĀ 

Ā 

Or "Windows 7" tag:protocols tag:Desktop tag:programming

Ā 

And drag them to the shortcuts bar, or select them from the search box when needed.

Ā 

Even with unassigned tags hidden (I don't have many of those as I frequently consolidate and delete unused ones) Ā I seldom did tag clicking because it involved miles of scrolling.

If I do a search 3 times, it becomes a saved search.

With the current relevant tag filtering, I can nuance those saved searches into even more specific ones almost instantly.

Ā 

ScreenClip.png

I really need this feature. Being unsatisfied with Onenote 2013 after using it for a while, I wanted to come back to Evernote AS A PAYING PREMIUM CUSTOMER, but without being able to hide unassigned tags, I simply can't come back. Sorry about that. I'll return at once as soon as the feature is back.

• Level 5*

@cwb: thanks for clarifying that with pictures. I think we're aligned as far as eschewing the tag tree for use in search. Narrowing things down via "Click to filter by tag..." seems like an decent approach, though it's not very discoverable (not that "Show / Hide unassigned tags" was either).

@world-in-union: The Alt+Shift+T method also hides unassigned tags, but presents it in a different way. It's worth checking out.

Ā 

What happens when I try your search:

* hit Win+Shift+F, type "Windows 7"

* The "Click to select tag" prompt is now showing in the search control over the note list, click it and proceed...

~or~

* Hit Alt+Shift+T twice. You should get prompted for relevant tags. Proceed...

* Use the keyboard to select one (cursor up and down, or type letters to match existing tags; click Enter to select). The tag prompting should continue, with a smaller tag list.

Ā 

Clicking on "Click to select tag" resets search line and search results, like I just selecting tags with empty search. On the other hand, when I selecting tags at first in "Click to filter by tag" line and then clicking on search line, I have empty tag filter line, like I initially click only on search.

Ā 

After twice hit Alt+Shift+T tag prompt does not continue. This prompt is resets after selecting one tag. I select first tag, then I select second, tag prompt just blinks and first tag replaced by second.

Ā 

I can post some screenshots with these problems, if you need this.

Ā 

I'm sorry. My English is not very well.

• 2 weeks later...

+1. I use tags heavily and being able to hide unassigned tags is critical for me. I had to uninstall V5 and revert back to 4.x. Please add this feature back!

Ā 

I talked to the Evernote support staff, and their response was that they have improved the search so much that no one would need this old functionality anymore. Sorry, but that doesn't work for me.Ā 

This is extremely discouraging. I loved the way it worked and this is a significant reduction in capability.

Ā 

Clicking around to get dropdowns and execute extra searches is ridiculous. The old way was just a simple persistent view where you didn't have to click around or hit hotkeys or do any extra steps. I miss the old way and am constantly annoyed by its absence.

• Level 5*

Clicking on "Click to select tag" resets search line and search results, like I just selecting tags with empty search. On the other hand, when I selecting tags at first in "Click to filter by tag" line and then clicking on search line, I have empty tag filter line, like I initially click only on search.

You need to play around with this. In some contexts it will clear your current search. In others, it will start up the tag selection process. I don't have the patern down yet; often it takes me two Alt+Shift+T presses to start the tag selection process. Once you have picked a tag from the dropdown, then it should prompt you for more, if there are any available based on the current filtered note list.

As I've said, this isn't perfect. Sometimes tags are offered that are not appropriate: it should only show you tags that you can validly select, meaning, as tags that can be added to the filter's tags that don't make the note list empty.

• Level 5

I'm still surprised by the vitriol.

In the pre-5 clients, unassigned tags were clutter.

Except for a narrow GTD subset of tags, for me if a tag was unassigned, it wasn't a sign that it needed hiding, it needed to be culled.

I didn't want to hide the mess, but take the few moments to winnow and tame the mess.

Post-v5 though that mess doesn't get in the way. Ā It's smarter about being contextual.

Ā 

It's the older Evernote now that would get in the way of my productivity.

I don't want "Tag herding" or pretending I haven't created a mess by hiding it enough to allow me to "get focused" on a narrow niche of notes, to steal cycles from just getting at and using my notes.

The current EN search and shortcut tools do that better. Ā (IMO).

• Level 5*

I'm still surprised by the vitriol.

In the pre-5 clients, unassigned tags were clutter.

Except for a narrow GTD subset of tags, for me if a tag was unassigned, it wasn't a sign that it needed hiding, it needed to be culled.

I didn't want to hide the mess, but take the few moments to winnow and tame the mess.

Post-v5 though that mess doesn't get in the way. Ā It's smarter about being contextual.

I think that you make be somewhat mistaken about the old Hide Unassigned Tags feature (or maybe I'm mistaken about what you're saying). It wasn't for unused tags, it was for finding only the tags that applied to the current search filter; it "hid" (didn't display) tags that weren't relevant to the note list. It was useful in its own way, but I'm guessing that it was confusing to explain to users, and it wasn't particularly discoverable either. I know that we fielded lots of questions about them in the forums.

It's the older Evernote now that would get in the way of my productivity.

I don't want "Tag herding" or pretending I haven't created a mess by hiding it enough to allow me to "get focused" on a narrow niche of notes, to steal cycles from just getting at and using my notes.

The current EN search and shortcut tools do that better. Ā (IMO).

I'm fine with the new stuff, so long as it works well (there are flaws, for sure). I don't spend a lot of time herding my tags, nor do I want to.
  • Level 5

I think that you make be somewhat mistaken about the old Hide Unassigned Tags feature (or maybe I'm mistaken about what you're saying).

Ā 

Entirely probable.

I just journeyedĀ back to 2010Ā to re-read how it was envisioned.

And it's not my use case I guess.

Early on I was deciding between many notebooks or many tags, and after going both ways, settled on few notebooks and many tags.

Thus most of my effective note usage is in one of two notebooks. Ā All tags here would be visible, and unassigned tags are candidates for cleaning up.

The other use case is a search filter view. Ā I can get where some would be after a second level of tag refinement there-after, but I'm generally not. Ā So even here, unassigned tags aren't that relevant to me.

I'm looking for filtering once to get at what I'm after rather than iteratively. Ā If it's something I do multiple times, it gets a saved search.

I'm not likely to search on "Windows 7" and then in a second filter stage meander between a subset of assigned tags (though the tag filter is there for that as we've discussed).

c584a25c-019a-48e6-abd0-e9045dc2ce2c.png

Ā 

I'm more likely to click once on a saved search, and if frequently used, select it from the shortcuts sidebar. Ā Selecting from:

• "Windows 7" tag:Sysadmin tag:PowerShell
  • "Windows 7" tag:Programming tag:CodeSnippets
  • "Windows 7" tag:Sysadmin tag:Annoyances tag:ComonFixes
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what .... the .... FĀ Ā  Evernote.Ā  I have been using you for almost 5 years.

And I just noticed this hide unassigned tags feature is missing now in ver 5.Ā  This was huge for me, as apparently many others.

Why do you ***** with your users like so many other developers?

Ā 

This is not the feature to remove.

Interesting. I have only been using Evernote for two months, so I have never used version 4. Nevertheless I found this thread because I was looking for a way to keep tags that applied to my company notebook separate from those that applied to my personal one. I think this old feature might have done the trick quite perfectly. Oh well!

Ā 

Instead I have used sub-tags. I have a top-level tag "company-notebook" and all company tags are under that. And "main-notebook" and all normal tags are under that. Some tags pertain to both, e.g. "receipts" and I leave those at the top level of the tag tree.Ā I guess I will periodically have to herd new top-level tags down into the tree structure, which probably just means deciding for each tag whether it belongs under main-notebook or company-notebook. I do nest some tags more deeply as well though.

Ā 

For me personally, I find that spending a bit of time structuring my tag tree helps me to get a good sense of what I have stored away. I can understand that others may not want to spend time "herding tags".

Ā 

The main point of this post is to point out that tags can be arranged into a tree structure (by dragging and dropping in the left hand pane), and that this can form a solution even if not an ideal one.

Why show tags that never used in selected notebook? Why? Why show tags that never used with currently selected tag? I was using Evernote 4.X for work for past year and can't just sit and sort all tags and notebooks so it would be easy to use with ver. 5.X. And what guarantees that they wouldn't change it again in next month or two?

• Level 5*

Why show tags that never used in selected notebook? Why? Why show tags that never used with currently selected tag? I was using Evernote 4.X for work for past year and can't just sit and sort all tags and notebooks so it would be easy to use with ver. 5.X. And what guarantees that they wouldn't change it again in next month or two?

The tag tree in the left panel no longer does this. You can get some of this functionality back by using the Alt+Shift+T shortcut, or using the "Click to filter by tag..." button in the search control over the note list.

There are no guarantees that Evernote won't change their UI at any time.

• Level 5

Why show tags that never used in selected notebook? Why?

Lots of people have a use case for that I imagine.

GTD'ers come to mind as a set who create a framework ahead of time to hang things on.

Giving a context for time or place and dropping notes into that structure.

One might imagine tags for each month of the year, perhaps even a week1 week2... Tag framework in each month.

Until you near that part of the calendar those tags are likely to be blank but should be readily tree expandable to glean over the number of notes in each month/week.

Coincidently GTD'rs are also often in the set that want empty tags to toggle off so they can just focus on the stuff at hand in the time or place context they're in.

As for me I found that a hack and too broad.

If I want to hyper focus on a set of tags in a context I have a pre-crafted saved search.

Or even more specifically just that subset with unchecked todo's in them.

So I'm just saying tags hidden or not, I don't really see or care. It's too high or first level for me to even care about, and as such not a toggle I'd find myself using.

If I don't want an empty tag seen, it gets deleted. Otherwise it's there to serve its place holder purpose. But as a visual filter... It's like asking what color the painting canvass should be. By the time I get my filtering and search "paint" on it, it won't so much matter. We're way beyond the point of "should empty tags be visible"

• Level 5

I was using Evernote 4.X for work for past year and can't just sit and sort all tags and notebooks so it would be easy to use with ver. 5.X. And what guarantees that they wouldn't change it again

I would just suggest that you often get out of an organizational system what you put into it. There may be a day where natural search replaces a pre-organized structure. But I don't see that day here yet.

And the UI uncertainty is in part why I think one needs to create their own organizational UI with tags and saved searches. Then it doesn't so matter much what Evernote does on the UI peripheries. You own your data access structure.

As such v4->v5 didn't impact me at all. In fact it only made my system better.

Some of their new stuff might be interesting but while it doesn't work (clicking tags as search suggestions) my own system keeps me as productive in v5 as in v4. The only difference is where I'm clicking on my saved searches. But the functionality is the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Evernote 5 for Windows.....I know you have made some enhancements, and yes there is a filter for Tags, but why remove "Hide Unassigned Tags" ?????

Ā 

Tags in Evernote 5 are a mess. I have a business account and instead of having two sections of tags, it is one big unreadable unusable blob. If I select a tag, such as "#Quote" while the tree shows 11 notes, it instead pulls 790 notes, so it is getting stuff from my business account.

Ā 

I see tags from people I share notebooks with, even if I am not currently "in" their notebook.

Ā 

I hate it. Despise it. En5 is really cool in some respects - many respects actually - but there are two big failings compared to EN4, and tags is the biggest of the two. I really wish they would drop what they are doing and just fix the tags in EN5 for Windows.

Quite honestly, downgrading back to v 4 seems to solve more problems that it creates. It just might be the best way to get their attention as well as they are aware of the number of users using a particular version even if they don't comment here in the forums (currently using v4 and the old chrome clipper after upgrading both initially across the board). I no longer feel like a complainer since switching back.Ā 

Ā 

Here is a discussion of what is involved Ā to downgrade and where to get the file.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39981-downgrading-from-v-5-back-to-4/

Ā 

Edit: Typo

• Level 5*

Atangel, I use 4.x on my main machine, but keep 5.x on one at home and continually hope for improvements with each upgrade. Nothing has been done though to fix the tag issue. I guess their target customer has about 30 tags and no business account.

Evernote's search function is very weak in the Google era. I have more than thousand pdf articles stored in my account and when I am looking for something, I can find it easier on Google than in my own Evernote account. A typical plain search in Evernote returns tons on notes and that is when the showing only assigned tags feature is essential. Ā So it is really hard to understand removal of this feature. Huh, good old times when we could expect new versions to have more features and less bugs. I have cancelled my premium account... Ā 

• Level 5

That's a huge unfair combination of things it seems to me.

1. A local Evernote search will likely neverĀ in any way be comparable to a Google search. Ā It seems easy in our minds to reduce the compute gymnastics that Google does, based on contextual signals it knows about you, and massive infrastructure. Ā That's not to say there isn't some value in Evernote evolving in similar directions. Ā But right now there's no sort by relevance. Ā And that's a huge difference from Google. Ā You feed Evernote a pretty prescribed search, and it wrotely feeds you the hits back in your choice of order. Ā Could Evernote feed results back with relevance to your search history, plus what it knows about your likes, your recent email content, where you currently are... Sure, but it doesn't, and calling Evernote's search broken because it isn't like Google's is catastrophically off point.
    • Indeed I expectĀ Google to do a better job presenting a desired PDF in the top 5 hit results than Google. Ā That's currently by Google's and Evernote's respective design parameters. Ā The nice counter-balance is that it isn't always going to be the case, if my search is specifically relevant for a PDF I do have in Evernote. Ā And the best part is, my Evernote search results show in my browser at the top right of the Google search results. Ā Best of both worlds with one query.
  2. How is showing only assigned tags essential in having tons of search results? Ā I get 30,000 or 300,000 search hits in Google on a typical plain query and find things (as apparently do you), without any notion of tags.
    • As mentioned above you do get a notion of only related tags to your search results in the Jump to Tags view at the top of the search results list. Ā So it's not so much removed as changed. Ā So it's continued usage, requires us to change as well. Ā Doesn't mean it isn't there.
  • Level 5

If I select a tag, such as "#Quote" while the tree shows 11 notes, it instead pulls 790 notes, so it is getting stuff from my business account.

Ā 

I see tags from people I share notebooks with, even if I am not currently "in" their notebook.

That does sound like a mess.

I could indeed see a need to hide non-personal tags.

Not having a business account, can I query on specifics?

On your first point on selecting the tag #Quote...

Is that any different with the search field is set to Search Current Context?

Can I assume you can constrain that, pain as it may be with, Notebook:[...] Or Stack:[...]

I think Evernote may be acting in what it sees as its own best commercial interests: if tags from different notebooks are hidible then notebooks become so independent that partners, a family, or a small business could use one Evernote account for multiple people working entirely as if they had separate accounts, so long as they are not concerned about privacy within the group of users. That could impact on Evernote's income stream.Ā 

• Level 5*

You can constrain it, but that is an extra step and doesn't seem reliable. I tried doing it yesterday and it took me two tries. I could just use the search thing and forget clicking on tags altogether, but I know of no way to search within ALL personal notebooks.

Ā 

Or I could just stick with 4.x until this is fixed.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote may be acting in what it sees as its own best commercial interests: if tags from different notebooks are hidible then notebooks become so independent that partners, a family, or a small business could use one Evernote account for multiple people working entirely as if they had separate accounts, so long as they are not concerned about privacy within the group of users. That could impact on Evernote's income stream.Ā 

I'm having a hard time understanding the argument here. Multiple accounts or a single shared account in these cases would generate as much traffic to their servers, though, and if the accounts are free, it has no effect on revenue anyways.

I encourage everybody to contact Evernote Support and express your discontent with the incomprehensibly poor decision to remove the "Hide unassigned tags" option!

To each his own...although I don't know why EN chose to remove this (or any) feature, personally, this has not bothered me or affected my workflow at all.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

That horse done left the barn. My guess is that they removed it for the reasons that it's confusing to some users, and confusing to explain, and wasn't particularly discoverable. Removing functionality can be dicey, but user interfaces are not carved in stone, and if the feeling that a particular bit of functionality isn't working out is backed by, say, customer support evidence that it's a problem (goodness knows that it was something that I had to suggest fairly frequently as a poster on this forum), then its use probably should be reconsidered. This is all guesswork on my part, though, nothing I've ever seen from Evernote folks has told the true tale...

• 2 weeks later...

Ā 

I encourage everybody to contact Evernote Support and express your discontent with the incomprehensibly poor decision to remove the "Hide unassigned tags" option!

To each his own...although I don't know why EN chose to remove this (or any) feature, personally, this has not bothered me or affected my workflow at all.

Ā 

Well, you should obviously only do it if you miss the feature, but I assumed that the main reason why people read this threadĀ  :)

Well, you should obviously only do it if you miss the feature, but I assumed that the main reason why people read this threadĀ  :)

People read threads (or anything) all the time for a variety of reasons. Just because I read an article about how to move a 500 pound alligator doesn't mean I want to do it. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this tip, CWB!

Or... type into search "Windows 7"

Tap the tag filter over the resulting search results

ScreenClip.png

When you click into that "Click to filter by tag" you get a short list of only the tags (and how many notes in each tag) that are contained in the search results.

So arguably better even than hiding unassigned tags. You're only seeing tags relevant to your search results.

In your case you may simply see just the tags: "Protocols", "Instructions", "Info", "Desktop", "Server", "Programming"

You could be at Windows 7:Protocols with two mouse clicks after entering the search phrase. 4 mouse clicks if you needed Protocols+Desktop+Programming

The difference is that you're now clicking those from a very short list rather than a long sprawling unfiltered list (don't know about you but I have hundreds of nested tags).

And if you find yourself doing that a lot.

I'd save searches for:

"Windows 7" tag:Protocols

"Windows 7" tag:Instructions

etc

Or "Windows 7" tag:protocols tag:Desktop tag:programming

And drag them to the shortcuts bar, or select them from the search box when needed.

Even with unassigned tags hidden (I don't have many of those as I frequently consolidate and delete unused ones) I seldom did tag clicking because it involved miles of scrolling.

If I do a search 3 times, it becomes a saved search.

With the current relevant tag filtering, I can nuance those saved searches into even more specific ones almost instantly.

ScreenClip.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

miss the "unassigned hidden tags" very much too.

Ā 

The way @cwb proposed in his post from Nov.2013 is not working for me!

When having a search result and I click to "filter tags.." I always get all my tag presented and not only those fitting to the search result.

This is definetly worth a try but how do I get it to this Situation described by @cwb and yourself??

Ā 

Any help appreciated!

Ā 

I found out it only works when searching by tags when simply using a keyword search this narrowing down does not work -> that way it is worthless!

I am always searching for a "keyword" and check in what tags/areas results are found!

For a ideal Scenario all search possibillities must neatly work together but this is currently not the case!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

miss the "unassigned hidden tags" very much too.

Ā 

The way @cwb proposed in his post from Nov.2013 is not working for me!

When having a search result and I click to "filter tags.." I always get all my tag presented and not only those fitting to the search result.

This is definetly worth a try but how do I get it to this Situation described by @cwb and yourself??

Ā 

Any help appreciated!

Ā 

I found out it only works when searching by tags when simply using a keyword search this narrowing down does not work -> that way it is worthless!

I am always searching for a "keyword" and check in what tags/areas results are found!

For a ideal Scenario all search possibillities must neatly work together but this is currently not the case!

It actually works but it is not very elegant:

Ā 

When you click the tag symbol, the whole list of tags (both assigned and unassigned) pops up, just like you say. However, if you click outside the tag list, it will be replaced by the text "Click to filter by tags". Click this text, and the list of tags that are assigned in the current search will appear.

Ā 

So it basically works like the good, old "hide unassigned tags" feature, but requires two extra clicks.

• Level 5*

The tag control(s) in the search panel operate on the current note filters, just like the old "hide unassigned tags" did: the tags presented to you will be the tags that are used by notes in your current note list. That's true even for note lists produced by non-tag, non-notebook filters (e.g. a search on "updated:month", or the notes updated this month). If you start with "All Notes", then you'll get your whole set of tags (just like with good, old "hide unassigned tags" in the past); it will not include any unassigned tags, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure that I see any extra clicks there.

Ā 

cwb's method, I think, was to start with shortcuts that select commonly used areas of your note database (whichĀ shouldĀ have fewer tags), and work from there.

Ā 

The tag tree and "hide unassigned tags" was cool in some ways, but sometimes confusing (evidenced by forum posts), and occasionally user-hostile: hey, I have my note list, and I can only see assigned tags, hooray, but oops, I see a note that needs a tag, but the tag's not in the list, so I can't drag from the list to the note. Hardly elegant...

Thank you for your answers "magnuss" and "jefito".

Ā 

Searching for only tags is fine and I understand why the Tree thing was dismissed, no Problem.

Ā 

The Thing I miss very much is to Combine the "tag search" with the "keyword search"!!

I want be able to:

1. Select a tag or moreĀ + give an additional keywordĀ 
  2. Keyword search -> select a tag

Now:

When I select a tag which for e.g. gave me a result set of 100 notes I want do search within this 100 notes with an additional given keyword!

-> when I do this now the tag search is gonne and a new search with the keyword is done and the resultset is a complete different one!Ā  -> NO narrow down!

Ā 

The other way around it is the same, the search result for a keyword gives me a result set

-> I also get only the tags listed which are among the notes of the result set

-> but if I select one of those tags the result set does not narrow down NO it is a new search with the tag onlyĀ  -> NO narrow down!

Ā 

The combination would it make it sooooo worthfull!!!

Ā 

Can you confirm that this is not possible or do I only do something wrong?

Ā 

I know it is possible by writing the search Terms, but there I have no Support from assigned/unassigend tags.

With the search Terms I Need to know exactly all I am looking for in advance, there the "browse factor" is missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Come to think of it.....

Ā 

With the tags by context located in the "middle" (along with Notebook chooser) the left panel is kinda useless now and can be hidden! Ā That's actually a good thing. Ā More screen real estate. Ā Hmmm, I'm gonna give this a try for a while and see how it turns out.

Ā 

View > Left Panel > uncheck "Show Left Panel"

Archived