I'm pasting in system directories into my Note. For example:

C:\Users\rburnett\Sites\mysite\

Evernote is automatically formatting this into a link. I've highlighted it, right-clicked and clicked "Remove". I've also highlighted and pressed Ctrl+Shift+R. Unfortunately the link remains.

How can I remove this link?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi - many people would be complaining if the line wasn't turned into a link,  so I think you may find there's no easy way to avoid that.  Is there a major reason why you couldn't just leave it as is?  You could try pasting into Notepad or another text-only editor and from there into Evernote..  come to that you could paste directly into Notepad and attach that file to Evernote.  Don't think there's a way to disable formatting though...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi - many people would be complaining if the line wasn't turned into a link,  so I think you may find there's no easy way to avoid that.  Is there a major reason why you couldn't just leave it as is?  You could try pasting into Notepad or another text-only editor and from there into Evernote..  come to that you could paste directly into Notepad and attach that file to Evernote.  Don't think there's a way to disable formatting though...

gazumped .. try typing in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft and see if the hyperlink is correct.  Not only that but printing same to Canon MFD results in the hyperlink lines being strikethrough the text.  Absolute PIA and automatic hyperlinks should be optional in settings somewhere.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Agreed. I want to be able to turn off automatic hyperlinks. I type the words "file:" and Evernote turns it into a hyperlink, which I don't want. (This is in the Evernote app for Windows.) I haven't found a way to make Evernote stop automatically adding hyperlinks.

I can't state how much I dislike most (if not all) of these auto-smart corrections. In my case, even a simple number was automatically turned into a link, and I don't even want to know what it links to...

Anyway, here's how I removed it in the web tool: click the "..." button just to the right of the bold-italic-underline group. A submenu opens, including "link" and "unlink" buttons. Just click the "unlink" button.

Right-clicking on the text and selecting "Remove" from the resulting menu works for me. The blue color, underlining and clickability all go away. I tried with a directory path, a URL, and the "file:" example. All were initially automatically turned in to links; all were successfully unlinked by right-clicking and selecting Remove. This is on Windows 7, Evernote 5.0.3.1614.

I agree that the automatic behaviour should be optional. I dislike programs trying to guess my intentions. If I want a link, I'll make one.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Ryan and Xaviererde, either Ctrl-Shift-R or <Right-Click | Remove Link> should reliably remove the hyperlinking BUT if you then press <enter> or <space> as the next key, the text turns back into a hyperlink.  That makes it look like the hyperlink didn't go away -- it DID, but then it CAME RIGHT BACK.  The trick is to maneuver away from the pasted in text (for instance, with a down arrow if there's anything else further down in the note) to get past the text that Evernote wants to make into a link.

• 1 year later...

RobertJSawyer, I tried the copy/paste method on my iPad and it initially appeared as if it removed it, but it went right back to a hyper link after I reopened the document. Do you have any other suggestions? It really disrupts the appearance of what I am trying to do.

Thanks to anyone who might have ideas?

• 9 months later...

Evernote turned the words "Small Black" in my note into a hyperlink advertising some celeb or something. The link isn't going away even after I removed all formatting from my note and turned it into plain text. This is incredibly annoying. Does anybody know how I can fix it? 

• Level 5*
On 21/03/2017 at 3:09 PM, greymountain said:

Evernote turned the words "Small Black" in my note into a hyperlink advertising some celeb or something. The link isn't going away even after I removed all formatting from my note and turned it into plain text. This is incredibly annoying. Does anybody know how I can fix it? 

Hi.  Your issue is not related to this thread so should really be in a new post,  but it's also not related to Evernote - the app does not randomly convert text into unwanted links,  and it's not possible for a plain text note still to include a link.  

I'd recommend you copy the content of your note into a plain text editor - Notepad,  if you're using Windows - and then delete the original note.  Create a new note and copy/ paste the Notepad text into that.  

If the note is not important,  just delete the original.  You might want to run an antivirus scan of your system just in case.

• 2 months later...

On 3/21/2017 at 8:09 AM, greymountain said:

On 3/22/2017 at 8:38 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Your issue is not related to this thread so should really be in a new post,  but it's also not related to Evernote - the app does not randomly convert text into unwanted links,  and it's not possible for a plain text note still to include a link.  

I'd recommend you copy the content of your note into a plain text editor - Notepad,  if you're using Windows - and then delete the original note.  Create a new note and copy/ paste the Notepad text into that.  

If the note is not important,  just delete the original.  You might want to run an antivirus scan of your system just in case.

This happened to me with the phrase "Toy Story." Yes, even in plain text, it automatically links to info about the movie...but only on my iPhone. Pressing the link takes me to a pop-up of said info, while long pressing gives me the options—through Evernote—to Look Up, Search Web, or Copy. 

There is no link on my Windows desktop app, nor on the Web app. It seems to be an issue with the iOS app, and it's extremely annoying.

I'm not sure how this issue would be considered "not related to this thread."

• Level 5*
On 01/06/2017 at 1:46 AM, Happy Elephant said:

I'm not sure how this issue would be considered "not related to this thread."

This thread is rather specifically related to how text like " C:\Users\rburnett\Sites\mysite\ " is displayed as an active hyperlink in a note.  Having 'Toy Story' - which isn't initially formatted as anything like a hyperlink,  active or not,  show up as some sort of a link to information about the film is something different.  This is also a Windows thread,  so an issue related to iOS needs its own thread in that forum.

It seems likely that iOS is being 'helpful' in looking up data related to that particular term - it doesn't seem likely that this is an Evernote feature gone rogue.  Maybe an iOS user can comment...

• 1 month later...

I want the ability to turn on or off automatic hyperlinking.  Not after the fact as an edit but the presumption.  If you've already fixed this fatal flaw, please let me know where in the settings I can set Evernote to "never automatically hyperlink".  In addition, there should be an option to highlight a word and right-click restore or add the hyper link to the selection if desired.  So, the exception is in the end-users control.  Pretty simple, really.  I am long time paid subscriber, this is beginning to annoy the _______ out of me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, apexadam said:

I want the ability to turn on or off automatic hyperlinking.  Not after the fact as an edit but the presumption.  If you've already fixed this fatal flaw, please let me know where in the settings I can set Evernote to "never automatically hyperlink".  In addition, there should be an option to highlight a word and right-click restore or add the hyper link to the selection if desired.  So, the exception is in the end-users control.  Pretty simple, really.  I am long time paid subscriber, this is beginning to annoy the _______ out of me.

If it doesn't suit your particular use case I can see how this sort of thing - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41557-remove-automatic-hyperlink/ would bug you.

But why would you type a link without wishing to ever click on it and move elsewhere?  This is just a convenience to avoid your having to copy and paste that link into a browser window to see the original page.  (I'm not being disrespectful here,  just genuinely wondering in what context this is unhelpful).

Sadly being a subscriber doesn't entitle you to instruct Evernote what features to change for your personal preference.  If there's enough support from other users I'm sure they'd be open to adding it as an option,  but (unless they were already working on this - and they don't -usually- share progress reports) it simply won't happen anytime soon.  You could raise a feature request in that section of the Forums to see what support you can raise.

Meantime right click and 'remove' or (Windows) Ctrl+Shift+R is the only way to avoid the link.

(If I were sufficiently motivated,  I might look at options to use a text expander like Phrase Express to automatically remove the link with a key press,  or to insert white characters around the address to 'hide' it from Evernote.  Beware though that invisible extra characters would be a problem if copying and pasting the link in future).  A leading "\\" forinstance seems to stop Evernote from recognising a link address.  Just sayin'  ;)

• Level 5*
On 7/10/2017 at 9:35 PM, apexadam said:

So what you probably should do is to add a feature request in the appropriate forum (probably Windows Desktop Product Feedback) so that other users can upvote it, comment, whatever (of course checking first to see whether someone else has already added the same request, in which case you can add your vote and comments to that topic).

I can do that.  But this thread was related to this issue "Remove Automatic Hyperlink".  So, it seemed applicable.  Now that I think about it, why wouldn't this be an issue from the very beginning? Sigh.  I use a MAC, is "Windows Desktop Product Feedback" a more obvious section than, "Remove Automatic Hyperlink."  But, thanks again, I'll look around.

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2017 at 12:11 PM, gazumped said:

But why would you type a link without wishing to ever click on it and move elsewhere?  This is just a convenience to avoid your having to copy and paste that link into a browser window to see the original page.  (I'm not being disrespectful here,  just genuinely wondering in what context this is unhelpful).

Hi gazumped, I just would like to explain to you one situation in which automatic hyperlinks are incredibly unhelpful/annoying. First of all I do understand why most people would want this feature and I do not object to it being the default behaviour, but the lack of an option to not turn it off is unbelievably annoying for people with legitimate cases to not want it. 

In my cases, many of my notes relate to computer science/networks/Internet technology. Therefore I am regularly writing notes which include examples of what code/settings/other stuff look like. These very often include Internet addresses/other URLs/file locations/other URIs/email addresses/IP addresses which do not exist and have only been used to demonstrate an example of some concept. Even in the case where the linked item does exist, the link is not wanted, as the text was only entered to serve as an example, and not because I wanted a handy way to get there. For example, http://example.com/ exists, but I have only used it as an example. I don't want a link to it.

Have a nice day :)

• Level 5*

Hi @ASDFGHKKL - you're picking up a discussion which has been quiet for almost a year,  so it doesn't exactly appear to be a hot topic.  You're right,  of course;  I was thinking in terms of links recorded from web clips and bookmarks,  not web addresses that might appear in code snippets.  Don't know if anyone took up jefito's suggestion to start a votable thread on this as a formal feature request -

- but you could add your vote (or start your own request) to get this added to (maybe?) the code block option in the desktop and web apps...

Hi @gazumped, thanks for the response. Yeah I have upvoted and done all that stuff. I'm not expecting it to be actioned though. Just started looking around for something more suitable for my purposes.

Really, the only reason I commented at all is because you mentioned in the thread (more than once I think) that you could not think of a reason why someone would want to have the feature turned off, so I thought I'd give you an example.

Have a nice day :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It is really annoying that evernote make email address or internet address in to hyperlink.  It is very difficult to edit these parts afterward.

very sad that such good tool does not have setting to disable this feature until now.

its 2018 now, how many years has past after release of evernote ?  :)

• 3 years later...
For example, this is what Evernote did to filenames in a note I wrote. It converts everything with a dot to a hyperlink:

....Run the program rlMiFilesToParticleStar.m, having edited it to give the input Info directory and the output file names and location. The program creates four output files with names like
micrographs_ctf_u.star
micrographs_ctf_v.star
particles_u.star
where 'u' means unsubtracted, and 'v' means vesicle subtracted....

• 3 months later...

I did the latter, probably about 5-6 years ago. Have used OneNote since then. OneNote searching is foul but at least it is not a resource sucking, awkward Electron abomination like Teams, Visual Studio Code & Evernote.

3 minutes ago, KymC said:

I did the latter, probably about 5-6 years ago

2 minutes ago, KymC said:

but at least it is not a resource sucking, awkward Electron abomination

but you dumped Evernote well before it moved to Electron, no?

Yeah, Evernote was a great note taking application with no real competition (I used it for technical notes with script programming). Then an update broke text formatting (dot points and indentation) and was never addressed so after 12 months I moved on to OneNote where at least text formatting worked even if the searching was pathetic. I understand the economics of an Evernote having to maintain only 1 code set with Electron, but the final product for end users is slow & crappy. For macOS users the Evernote experience (as an Electron app) is just jaw dropping ugly.

5 hours ago, KymC said:

Yeah, Evernote was a great note taking application

One could argue that it had more than it's fair share of problems for a long time. This from 2014: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7009995

4 hours ago, KymC said:

but the final product for end users is slow & crappy. For macOS users the Evernote experience (as an Electron app) is just jaw dropping ugly

This hasn't been my experience at all lately. Maybe initially after the first several months of v10, but it's seriously gotten pretty good for me (and I hope it keeps getting better). I run Evernote v10 on two different MacBooks, a Windows 10 PC (from 2013 era), iOS, and iPad.

It *is* slower than native -- I'll give you that, but I love the UI/UX and consistency across platforms. (Some people hate the UI -- too much white space. I don't like things too compact.)

FWIW - other similar apps I like: UpNote (also Electron - but way snappy) and Bear. I've investigated over a dozen pretty seriously in the last year. I know there are people that love Notion and OneNote -- but for me, those are at the bottom of the note-taking app barrel.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

The obvious choice here is:  if something works for you - keep on using it.  If it doesn't - don't. No rocket science required.

Addendum: If it doesn't work for you and you move on, be sure to come back here every couple of years and tell the people for whom it works how lousy the thing is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Addendum: If it doesn't work for you and you move on, be sure to come back here every couple of years and tell the people for whom it works how lousy the thing is.

I said as an Electron app these days, it is a resource hog and on macOS just plain ugly. I also made it clear what I specifically use a note taking app for. BTW I have as much right as you 5-star wonders to post with whatever frequency I want. @Dave-in-Decatur What is the deal with your Evernote fan-boi signature 🤮  ?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, KymC said:

What is the deal with your Evernote fan-boi signature

I think that post was an in-joke on my post mainly for us five-stars.  An amazing number of ex Evernote users still seem to find time to come back and point out the many drawbacks of the system and how they're doing so much better with <insert your third party app of choice here>.  Since commenters here are mainly user / volunteers, all this extra traffic is usually about as welcome as a rainy Sunday.

I have nearly 60,000 notes built up over 12 years or so,  and while Evernote - like any other software - can be a royal pain at times,  it's still working for me.  I'm about to dive into Windows 11 and version 10 however,  so my opinion might change.  If it does,  all you'll get of future me will be the green smoke drifting in the wind...

That being said,  as regards posting whatever,  there are a few Forum rules - about constructive and helpful comments for the OP, general civility and sticking to the subject,  but within those terms,  feel free to comment away.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2013 at 3:41 PM, gazumped said:

How about making it optional? That way those who don't want it can make their own links, and those who do can be happy that they are automatic. 

• Level 5*
On 7/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, ellencarnahan said:

How about making it optional?

That may come in v10 sometime - this is a Legacy thread,  so if you're still rocking the 'old' version of Evernote,  what you currently see is all that it will ever be.  6.25 is no longer developed or support.  In v10 Evernote is still getting the new app more fully in line with the old,  and I think they still have a long way to go.  If you feed back your preferences directly to Evernote (we're mainly users here) you may get some reaction.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, ellencarnahan said:

How about making it optional? That way those who don't want it can make their own links, and those who do can be happy that they are automatic. 

In V10 it is still not easy to bypass the automatic link creation. Unlike 6.25 though, it is possible to use the inline code feature. Paste your link between two back ticks (``) and you get

image.png.fb6d175437d9d8a4d953be39eb8f0684.png

Although I wouldn't be surprised if you thought that was even worse than the link!

There is always the option of people "making their own links" by opening the link dialogue box and pasting the link into the url box. Or you can use the markdown style

[title](https://www.example.com)

So the sequence is

[my prefered link title](ctrl+V)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/21/2013 at 3:00 AM, ST85 said:

"..." button just to the right of the bold-italic-underline group. A submenu opens, including "link" and "unlink" buttons. Just click the "unlink" button.

No, as a matter of fact that is NOT a working option in the online editor that a good many of us use.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, martshal said:

No, as a matter of fact that is NOT a working option in the online editor that a good many of us use.

You're quoting a 9-year old work-around.  Even in Legacy things moved on from there.  What version are you using,  and what are you trying to do?

• Like 1
On 11/2/2022 at 10:57 AM, martshal said:

image.png.659596a6afe95f262342308671317906.png

That's from the online (aka the web version) editor as of a few moments ago. Looks working to me as far unlinking something manually after the fact. It's just not in the same place as it was 9 years ago.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, H E said:

Bump, sorry for spamming, just trying to get attention to this silly issue. Say "NO" to automatic hyperlinks.

Hi.  Bumping is against forum guidelines and commenting here won't help your cause much - if there's not already a Feature Request you can vote on to make auto-links an option,  you could try starting one to get some momentum going...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Evernote Expert

@Tobbe This is a 10 year old thread for software that is no longer supported. Sadly, coming back every couple of months isn't going to get any progress.

You could post a new thread in a forum devoted to the software you are now using.  But if that is the no longer supported so-called Legacy version then that isn't going to go anywhere.

So if you are on version 10 post a new thread describing the suggestion and see if it gets any traction. Alternatively send feedback to feedback@evernote.com

• Like 1