REQUEST: Evernote for Chromebook

Thanks for the link. Yep - nothing to get excited about in there regarding an offline Chrome app.

Surely with Google Keep available as an offline Chrome app, Evernote have their sights on this area? Would anyone from Evernote care to reassure about this?

Thanks for the link. Yep - nothing to get excited about in there regarding an offline Chrome app.

Surely with Google Keep available as an offline Chrome app, Evernote have their sights on this area? Would anyone from Evernote care to reassure about this?

Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.

Before anyone gets too negative on this, Evernote was prominently featured in the Google Developers conference when they made the announcement. Something is coming, if you are content to wait, but if you need Evernote access offline now, a Chromebook is probably not your best option - says the Chromebook fanboy.

Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs. 

That's a shame in this instance. I'm sure there are both pros & cons to such a strategy.

Something is coming

With the greatest respect, this offers no reassurance whatsoever in that neither the thing nor when it will actually arrive are even hinted at let alone stated.

Looks my best option right now is to just twiddle my thumbs and start wondering if I might be better off with Google Keep on such a device (believe me I'd rather avoid it).

Dix-huit - I appreciate where you are coming from. And had it not been for the fact that the Google Developers mentioned Evernote in their presentation, I would likewise remain skeptical. I also use a Bible study software called Logos and they say they are "looking into this". I don't have high hopes for them. But for Evernote, they actually showed it in the presentation where Google announced the change. I would wager it's not a matter of if, but when. 

All that said, right now, momentum is about all that is keeping me with Evernote. I could fairly easily roll my own service using Google Docs and Keep. Honestly, the fact that Pocket doesn't share nicely with GDocs but does with Evernote for long term storage of those articles I want to keep is a big factor in me sticking with EN for now.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for Evernote offline.  I took the plunge and bought a Chromebook.  I go to a lot of conferences and love that Chromebook has such good battery life and full-featured browser (I'm a google apps user).  But any Internet flakiness and Evernote on the web sucks.  I've lost the last 30 seconds of typing lots of times this past couple weeks.  Super annoying.  I'm constantly on edge if it will save what I just typed.  Not worth the stress.  I am using Keep and Google docs more and more because that stress is gone.  I was 100% in evernote, but that is waning.  

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely +1 for that!! I bought a Chromebook yesterday and do really think that Evernote suits the target market for Chromebook users; people who are on the move and yet need laptop-style computing ability or those who need a full laptop but are trying to get by on a budget.

My only question is will they bother? I read in a couple of different places that Android apps will be able to run in Chrome OS so maybe Evernote are just going to wait and then use their already pretty good Android app....?

http://lifehacker.com/chrome-os-will-run-android-apps-natively-sync-with-and-1595975542

http://www.omgchrome.com/android-apps-notifications-call-alerts-chromebook/

I agree the waiting will be difficult but hopefully not too long...

(I owned a Chromebook, but sold it.  I am considering purchasing another...)

When using free Evernote accounts with the app for Chromebook, is it possible to have all information/data available when offline (as the Windows application allows for)?  If not, I may just stay with a cheap Windows notebook computer...

I just got the evernote android app for chromebook (if that is what you call it), and it is much better than using the evernote web app.  The only drawback is that it is in an unsizable panel on the chrome desktop.  Even so, after the initial sync it was so much better than the web app.  I understand the reasons it is a fixed size, but I hope Evernote can either make it full screen or include larger fixed panel sizes.  Apart from that, good job!  It is so great to be able to pop out my chromebook, and be able to add or edit a note with a real keyboard, all in just a few seconds.  The trouble with a traditional Windows laptop is that it takes a pretty good while to get from stop to editing a note.  The trouble with the tablet version is that editing text is clunky at best.  The problem with the evernote web app is that it is pretty slow, especially on my chromebook.  This app release neatly gets rid of the drawbacks to each platform.  I will probably wind up using this evernote client more than my phone, laptop, or tablet.  The combination of instant-on plus keyboard typing is what was lacking before.

Did you guys have to do anything special to get the Evernote Android app running on Chrome OS?  I installed it on my Samsung series 3, it loads, but it always says that it can't connect or that there is an issue connecting to the internet.  Thus, I can't log in.  I think the other Android apps seem to be having a similar problem.  The Android runtime extension is installed and appears active/enabled.

The internet is running perfectly fine for all other devices and the rest of the Chromebook itself.  I am running on beta channel, which is currently Chrome 38.

Any thoughts?

Did you guys have to do anything special to get the Evernote Android app running on Chrome OS?  I installed it on my Samsung series 3, it loads, but it always says that it can't connect or that there is an issue connecting to the internet.  Thus, I can't log in.  I think the other Android apps seem to be having a similar problem.  The Android runtime extension is installed and appears active/enabled.

The internet is running perfectly fine for all other devices and the rest of the Chromebook itself.  I am running on beta channel, which is currently Chrome 38.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, don't know you have to do anything special although it's quite possible if you're not on the full version of Chrome OS it may not be enabled. Mine is running on:

Version 37.0.2062.119 (64-bit)
Platform 5978.80.0 (Official Build) stable-channel falco
Firmware Google_Falco.4389.78.0

If you're an advanced user running a beta version maybe best to back up your current set-up, then restore to factory settings and see if that solves the issue?
  • 6 months later...

i would LIKE to like the chromebook evernote app HOWEVER it wont stay working long enough for me to use it.   It keeps hanging and i have to close it. 

i reeeeeeeealy hope this is fixed.  i have the latest chrome updates.  all other apps work fine. 

disappointing. 

i would much rather use it than the web... sigh

I am an avid Chromebook user, though it is not my only device and could never be.  But for a light, high quality (Toshiba Chromebook 2) laptop to do 90% of what I need to do, I find Chromebooks to be excellent.  

The big challenge for Evernote on Chromebook is that if the new web beta becomes the mandatory interface and the old interface goes away, it'll be impossible to be productive using EN on Chromebooks.  The "old" interface has virtually all the functionality of the desktop client - it's practically identical for most uses.  The new web beta is not.

I use the "old" web interface for 90% of my Evernoting...phone and the desktop auto-import/folder watch features are the only reasons I run a local client.  I couldn't do that in the new web beta because it's so feature-stripped.

The new web beta doesn't have all the features and I'm not sure they're on the roadmap or there is a guarantee that everything that can be done with teh "old" web interface will be replicated in the new skin, which would uniquely leave Chromebook users in a pickle.  With Windows, Mac, etc. users, they could just say "well, it sucks but I can use the native program to get to what I need" but there is no native version for ChromeOS.

• 6 months later...

Archived