Windows V5 Discussion

dlu

Unfortunately the client seems to be not very stable... it is crashing for me several times a day. After restarting I don't get the option to send a feedback about the crash to evernote. Didn't figure out yet when a crash occurs and cannot replicate the crash. I'm on Windows 8 64-bit.

I seem to be able to replicate the crash now... my client always crashes when I do the following:

• open note in fullscreen mode (double click on note)
  • close the note (click on the x in the upper right corner)

The client does not crash with all kinds of notes. Only the notes that have been clipped via the Web-clipper (sent to the evernote servers directly, not to the client) force the client to crash after closing them.

Does sb. else have this problem? Can somebody verify? Thanks!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forced search-history (and therefore lack of privacy) makes the new version unusable for me. How can I revert back to Versoin 4? All download-links are linking to version 5 now. Where can I download the last version 4? Do I have to re-download my complete database and export/import all my local notebooks or is there a more comfortable way to rollback?

A mail from Evernote told me to update to this version. Now I am forced to go back to version 4. I am really annoyed how much time I have wasted in the past and now waste again because of the strange update-process of Evernote. As long as a new version does not offer all the features of the old version please publish it as beta and do not send a mail to your productive users to update to this version.

• Level 5

Version 5:

• Hiding unused tags seem not to work any more. Even when I click on "Darstellung" → "Nicht zugewiesene Schlagwörter anzeigen" all tags are shown at any notebook/stack.

All tags visible in the left sidebar or the tag view when you click tags from the sidebar?

They always show on the left, but the un-used do remove from the central tag view...

All tags are always visible in the left sidebar AND in the central tag view. Why do you ask this? You can simply test it yourself.

Heh, I most certainly did. And what I see is what I said, which differs from what I'm understanding you to be seeing/saying. So I was asking a clarifying question.

Without that. I can only say that in my instance the feature works as seemingly intended.

So as I counter point it perhaps suggests there's some undiscovered variability in the feature that would be helpful if we could discover, or perhaps one of us isn't seeing what we think we're seeing, or understanding how its intended to work.

The forced search-history (and therefore lack of privacy) makes the new version unusable for me. How can I revert back to Versoin 4? All download-links are linking to version 5 now. Where can I download the last version 4? Do I have to re-download my complete database and export/import all my local notebooks or is there a more comfortable way to rollback?

A mail from Evernote told me to update to this version. Now I am forced to go back to version 4. I am really annoyed how much time I have wasted in the past and now waste again because of the strange update-process of Evernote. As long as a new version does not offer all the features of the old version please publish it as beta and do not send a mail to your productive users to update to this version.

Hi Mrossk,

you can find old versions of evernote at filehippo. Just look at the right sidebar of the filehippo evernote download page.

Cheers,

Thomas

• Level 5

After reading about the lengthy data-conversion upgrade process caused by the upgrade, I wonder if a Version-5-user can go back to an earlier version. Probably with a V4 backup, but a V5 backup might not work.

• Level 5

Should be fine if its cleanly uninstalled, but there's a thread from the early betas on a required process that may be still appropriate. Reverting should require a full fresh download of the data.

Remember that the upgrade is only to the local data not the remote data.

V4 has lived beside v5 on other OS platforms for many months, and for some time with the betas, side by side on different windows PC's on the same account.

Fastest way to revert to 4 might be to delete the EN5 local database before uninstalling EN5.

Uninstall EN5 completely.

Locate your last EN4 backup, preferably the one you made right before installing EN5.

Reinstall EN4 and have it open that last backup.

Sync. Only the changed notes since the upgrade should download.

Lena

• Level 5

The forced search-history (and therefore lack of privacy) makes the new version unusable for me.

Don't mean to be overly obvious but isn't the data itself (regardless of living in v4 or v5) just as unprivate as the search history?

It seems a little like calling an unlocked door handle a privacy violation as it hints to the method to gain entrance to a room, exposing its contents.

Except in the case of Evernote by the time you can see the search (doorknob) the door is already open and you're already staring at the first page of "room contents".

Just trying to understand. I guess search history *does* say "of all this information, here's the stuff that's *important* "so there's that. But wowsers, again if they're reading your saved searches they're IN YOUR ACCOUNT, with ALL of your stuff laid bare. The horse has left the barn and maybe there's enough weeds in the field we can't see him.

But it's a slippery slope.

Isn't sort by last updated then also leaking privacy?

And your saved searches, and shortcuts.

Or do we use no convenience features at all, and moreover slide our chair back using fully outstretched arms to reach the keyboard and only use squinting sideways glances at the screen (expecting same from others in the room).

• Level 5*

The forced search-history (and therefore lack of privacy) makes the new version unusable for me.

Don't mean to be overly obvious but isn't the data itself (regardless of living in v4 or v5) just as unprivate as the search history?

It seems a little like calling an unlocked door handle a privacy violation as it hints to the method to gain entrance to a room, exposing its contents.

Except in the case of Evernote by the time you can see the search (doorknob) the door is already open and you're already staring at the first page of "room contents".

Just trying to understand. I guess search history *does* say "of all this information, here's the stuff that's *important* "so there's that. But wowsers, again if they're reading your saved searches they're IN YOUR ACCOUNT, with ALL of your stuff laid bare. The horse has left the barn and maybe there's enough weeds in the field we can't see him.

Or do we use no convenience features at all, and moreover slide our chair back using fully outstretched arms to reach the keyboard and only use squinting sideways glances at the screen (expecting same from others in the room).

In my opinion, it is not a privacy issue in the slightest. It is your data, it is on your computer, and the app is trying to help you to navigate your account. Evernote is not collecting the data. Evernote is not mining it. And, Evernote is not showing it to anyone else.

HOWEVER, I do believe it is a control issue (Evernote developers can begin rolling their eyes now, because they know what is coming next). Without the ability to customize the user interface to our use case, we end up having physicians working with the same tools as elementary school children. It is not a good idea to strap us all down into Procrustes' Bed, because we all have different situations.

I am guessing that this user wants to show a note to a colleague, or works in an environment in which people can see their computer screen, and they want more control over what is shown. I completely sympathize! I created a test account specifically for the purpose of doing presentations a long time ago because I wanted to control what was shown on the screen, and with the type ahead search and related notes, this has become even more necessary.

As far as lookie loos, there isn't much you can do. On the Mac, I believe there is a file you can manually delete to get rid of the searches, but that is a pain. You could always do ten fake searches. However, you'll still get the suggestions popping up there.

THE ANSWER?

- Let us turn off incremental search. Let us turn off suggested search terms. Let us turn off search history. It's an easy fix, and it makes us all happy :)

• Level 5

GrumpyMonkey - awesome use a of a word. Shows the benefit of a good education.

Me? I had to google it.

In Greek mythology, Procrustes or "the stretcher [who hammers out the metal]", also known as Prokoptas or Damastes "subduer", was a rogue smith and bandit from Attica who physically attacked people by stretching them or cutting off their legs, so as to force them to fit the size of an iron bed. In general, when something is Procrustean, different lengths or sizes or properties are fitted to an arbitrary standard.

Fastest way to revert to 4 might be to delete the EN5 local database before uninstalling EN5.

Uninstall EN5 completely.

Locate your last EN4 backup, preferably the one you made right before installing EN5.

Reinstall EN4 and have it open that last backup.

Sync. Only the changed notes since the upgrade should download.

Lena

Thanks Lena (and all the others).

This seems to be the fastest way.

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey - awesome use a of a word. Shows the benefit of a good education.

Me? I had to google it.

In Greek mythology, Procrustes or "the stretcher [who hammers out the metal]", also known as Prokoptas or Damastes "subduer", was a rogue smith and bandit from Attica who physically attacked people by stretching them or cutting off their legs, so as to force them to fit the size of an iron bed. In general, when something is Procrustean, different lengths or sizes or properties are fitted to an arbitrary standard.

Thanks for the kind words :) You'll see me using the name to beat the customizability drum over similar issues back in March 2012 (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23967-request-better-date-editor/?p=129180), though, so maybe I ought to update my vocabulary and introduce some more variety!

Since the betas I am still having problems with resizing the notes list. Is the vertical area next to the scrollbar for dragging and resizing just very small or does it get disabled sometimes?

I can resize the vertical bars but I agree the right handle is too small... it seems for me it is only 1 pixel wide so that you have to aim very carefully. The left handle to drag is several pixels wide and easier to grab.

@ Evernote: Could you please make the right handle wider so that it's easier to grab? Thanks!

> Don't mean to be overly obvious but isn't the data itself (regardless of living in v4 or v5) just as unprivate as the search history?

No. The data is separated in different notebooks/stacks and is not shown on the screen earch other when viewing/editing this notebook/stack.

> It seems a little like calling an unlocked door handle a privacy violation...

Yes, the difference between business and private stuff is already very weak enough in Evernote. But showing the whole search-history of all notebooks mixed is exact the step that goes over the line and makes differenting private/business notes completely impossible on the screen.

> Just trying to understand. I guess search history *does* say "of all this information, here's the stuff that's *important* "so there's that. But wowsers, again if they're reading your saved searches they're IN YOUR ACCOUNT, with ALL of your stuff laid bare. The horse has left the barn and maybe there's enough weeds in the field we can't see him.

I am using EN also on my business computer in our company. When I have visitors which I have to show something on my computer and search something in my evernote business notebooks or make a presentation with my computer then I don't want evernote to show me my last searches of "sexy girls" or something else. Unfortunately evernote offers no other way to separate private from business stuff than different notebooks/stacks. So I have (an can) live with this. But mixing all search-results of all notebooks deletes the last thin line between business and private notes and so makes it unusable for me.

Exact. It is already slippery enough and so shoud not go even one step further.

> Isn't sort by last updated then also leaking privacy?

No, because I use sorting only within business or private stacks/notebooks but never mixed between them.

> I can create saved searches myself. But unfortunately I have absolute no influence to the search-history. Everything is listed there. 

I don't understand exact what you mean. But many convenience features has its disadvantage. And in my opinion privacy is more important than comfort.

Thanks for listening  :) .

I am guessing that this user wants to show a note to a colleague, or works in an environment in which people can see their computer screen, and they want more control over what is shown. I completely sympathize! I created a test account specifically for the purpose of doing presentations a long time ago because I wanted to control what was shown on the screen, and with the type ahead search and related notes, this has become even more necessary.

THE ANSWER?

- Let us turn off incremental search. Let us turn off suggested search terms. Let us turn off search history. It's an easy fix, and it makes us all happy :)

Yes, this is exactly what I mean and what I need. :)  I need more control over what is shown.

Sorry for my wrong used word "privacy". I use EN for everything and so I often have to show others something from EN on my computer and don't want to show them parts of other (private) notes from within my database. Thanks for clarifying this.

Jackolicious - Thanks for making multi-select a priority.  I'm another vote for how important that is.  Additional feedback:

Agree with other posters that I would prefer:

- search bar back to the left

- (GrumpyMunky) Let us turn off incremental search. Let us turn off suggested search terms. Let us turn off search history

New comment (?): Would like some way to make a more compact view.  Specifically, I dislike the forced blank space below the title bar above the first line of the note content, and I would prefer less empty space above / below lines in the left pane.

Thanks for considering our input.

"THE ANSWER?
- Let us turn off incremental search. Let us turn off suggested search terms. Let us turn off search history. It's an easy fix, and it makes us all happy :) "

I agree with Grumpy Monkey. Give us the capability to turn off some of the so-called improvements in EN5.

I turn off Related Notes in my web clipper because EN is so often completely OFF in what it offers, it's irritating. If I couldn't turn it off, I'd be using only click.to to send stuff to EN. (Check it out: better than the clipper in many circumstances.)

I also have no use for the Places capability, which includes notes from places I've never been to because a shared notes' author was there (confusing). So much "not mine" stuff from others that I just don't want to look at it.

Let us please turn off what we don't like. Otherwise, these capabilities are not improvements: they're noisy irritants at the very least.

Thanks,

Lena

• Level 5

Gotcha. And can totally agree that it would be prudent to give user control to turn off history.

Just getting into the devs head, If that sentiment was raised with v5 on the mac I missed it.

And though there are some (non simple) controls given we don't generally expect the same from our other information browsers. (chrome, IE, Safari). The history, searches, autocomplete, bookmarks are by default all there.

And not being a Business user I don't know what tools Evernote gives to switch between personal and business accounts (like I can switch between personal accounts) rather than viewing both together.

I may be a bit of a snore with nothing interesting in my 4500 notes. I'm using premium in my office with nothing separating my personal and business other than tags.

I just don't bring anything into the office (through evernote ir otherwise) that would be a problem.

So I'm guess I'm just pushing back a little. Maybe this could be presented to EN more as a feature request rather than as an egregious what were you thinking... Unless if course we're posting the same to the MS windows and all the browser devs to, or living in Incognito mode so nothing is ever remembered of your usage history to provide convenience.

• Level 5*

Gotcha. And can totally agree that it would be prudent to give user control to turn off history.

Just getting into the devs head, If that sentiment was raised with v5 on the mac I missed it.

And though there are some (non simple) controls given we don't generally expect the same from our other information browsers. (chrome, IE, Safari). The history, searches, autocomplete, bookmarks are by default all there.

And not being a Business user I don't know what tools Evernote gives to switch between personal and business accounts (like I can switch between personal accounts) rather than viewing both together.

I may be a bit of a snore with nothing interesting in my 4500 notes. I'm using premium in my office with nothing separating my personal and business other than tags.

I just don't bring anything into the office (through evernote ir otherwise) that would be a problem.

So I'm guess I'm just pushing back a little. Maybe this could be presented to EN more as a feature request rather than as an egregious what were you thinking... Unless if course we're posting the same to the MS windows and all the browser devs to, or living in Incognito mode so nothing is ever remembered of your usage history to provide convenience.

I agree that it isn't an egregious error. I think I know what the devs were trying to do, and Evernote has been explaining some of the features ever since August of last year, so it was no surprise when they made their way to the Windows client. I'm thrilled to see them innovating and I bet a lot of users will appreciate this kind of stuff, so I have no complaints at all about the existence of the feature.

My complaint is that we lack control. A lot of the issues (not just with these particular type-ahead searches, search suggestions, and past searches) could be simply alleviated by giving us control over our accounts. Then, everyone is happy. The default is whatever experience Evernote thinks will be best, and for those who find they need something else, they can invest the time and effort into changing their settings. That seems fair to me. In other words, I think some of these comments are framed as complaints about this (search history) or that (hidden wildcards in searches), but underneath they are really about control over the experience being taken from the user.

Yes, in an ideal world Evernote would just do it all for me. But, I don't even know what kind of breakfast cereal I want to eat from one day to the next, so I don't think it is realistic for the devs (or users) to expect Evernote to get it right. There has to be room for tuning and fine-tuning the app (in my opinion).

Naturally, the flip side of this would be endless menus of fine-tuning that no one uses, but the devs have to constantly manage each and every update. I have no interest whatsoever in promoting that nightmare. A middle ground, though, seems to be possible (in my opinion).

About Note Titles: 

Can anyone give me some insight to how to control the title of a note in V5?  It keeps changing the the first line of the note I am editing. 

How do I know when the title is derived from the first line of the note vs. an actual title that I have typed in?

• Level 5*

Search engine still can't handle international letters as mentioned in the previous betas. Makes the search engine unusable...

Just checked with German Umlauts, the search seems to work as expected for those.

Are you sure? Mine shows search suggestions without the proper letter and leaves out notebooks/tags/saved searches with the typed international letter completely.

xnuj.jpg

Can anyone help me with turning off the auto spell check?

Works for me, just tested.

Go to Tools --> Options --> Language and uncheck the option "check spelling as you type".

Does that work for you as well?

Perfect! Thanks a lot! That does the trick....I was desperately looking for that separate edit -> grammar from V4.

Search engine still can't handle international letters as mentioned in the previous betas. Makes the search engine unusable...

Just checked with German Umlauts, the search seems to work as expected for those.

Are you sure? Mine shows search suggestions without the proper letter and leaves out notebooks/tags/saved searches with the typed international letter completely.

xnuj.jpg

Oops, you are right. Same behavior here. Evernote does find the note though... so maybe only a problem with the search suggestions and not the search results? the suggestions don't even make sense and don't know where they come from :-) I can however find the note I was looking for...

15d0689.jpg

Thanks Evernote team - really like the new look of EN5, it has a very nice feel to it.

In terms of feedback:

1 - mixing shared notebooks and shared tags is really annoying - I liked having the tags, especially, separated out and not cluttering my tags up

2 - I don't have any value in the snippet or cards view but the list view doesn't have reminders?! 

3 - ultimate view would be snippet view without the snippets - aka list size bars on the LHS like the notebook menu

4 - reminders are a bit bulky and take up a lot of space

5 - reminders don't show on 'notes' view? I want to see all my reminders across all my notes

6 - I like the new shortcuts tab and I liked being able to pin things to the top bar - I mostly clear everything out so being able to pint things to the extra space was very useful. My ideal would be to have both and I would use each for different things

7 - ctrl + alt + T: mirroring the organisation of tags in this view would be great

8 - organising things like notebooks by whatever order I fancy rather than by alphabetical or the option to change if I want

It's obvious you've worked hard on this and there are some great improvements. I guess the lack of customisation on certain parts of the program where there's no need to 'have' to have it one way is frustrating.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Best.

• Level 5*

xnuj.jpg

Oops, you are right. Same behavior here. Evernote does find the note though... so maybe only a problem with the search suggestions and not the search results? the suggestions don't even make sense and don't know where they come from :-) I can however find the note I was looking for...

15d0689.jpg

The note search results are fine and the smart term search suggestions seem to work fine as well, except only showing the wrong letter as both our images show. But notebooks/tags/saved searches are completely absent. So when they decided to remove the individual tag/saved search searched from the toolbar, I can't search among my 2000+ nested tags...

How can I define a specific notebook as Inbox in V5?

When I send doxie scans over to Evernote, EN5 imports them into the active notebook I'm working in at that moment, which scatters the workflow, because it lacks a static Inbox where I can look for imported and sent stuff.

• Level 5*

Mr.Porter; I believe the "static inbox" should be your default notebook, but I am having some difficulty getting any notebook set up as the default that works across everything. Oh, and I also am wondering if the Clipper has been associated with changes of local notebooks to synchronized notebooks - you can use a local notebook as default in Clipper. Does that mess things up? I don't use Clipper normally, now I know why. I don't want notes going to some arbitrary notebook, especially if it is going to change it to a synchronized notebook!

Thanks Evernote team - really like the new look of EN5, it has a very nice feel to it.

In terms of feedback:

1 - mixing shared notebooks and shared tags is really annoying - I liked having the tags, especially, separated out and not cluttering my tags up

2 - I don't have any value in the snippet or cards view but the list view doesn't have reminders?! 

3 - ultimate view would be snippet view without the snippets - aka list size bars on the LHS like the notebook menu

4 - reminders are a bit bulky and take up a lot of space

5 - reminders don't show on 'notes' view? I want to see all my reminders across all my notes

6 - I like the new shortcuts tab and I liked being able to pin things to the top bar - I mostly clear everything out so being able to pint things to the extra space was very useful. My ideal would be to have both and I would use each for different things

7 - ctrl + alt + T: mirroring the organisation of tags in this view would be great

8 - organising things like notebooks by whatever order I fancy rather than by alphabetical or the option to change if I want

It's obvious you've worked hard on this and there are some great improvements. I guess the lack of customisation on certain parts of the program where there's no need to 'have' to have it one way is frustrating.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Best.

oh yeah and, after changing tags so you now have shared tags in your tags you removed the ability to multi-select tags....seriously...frustrating...

oh, and you can't nest someone else's tags...so now my nicely organised set of tags has been invaded by something I never wanted nor can I remove...joy! 

Twice today I have used 'Add To Evernote' in Outlook 2013, selected the correct Notebook, changed the title and added a Tag. The new Note opened up and when I clicked on the 'x' to close it, Evernote completely shut down!

Regards

Chris

Hi, I think that is a bug to create new notebooks in Evernote 5! I tried a several times, I even tried to install again, but the error still there....

What can I do to solve it?! I just became premium user, it`s so sad that it is not working... 

Can you give some more details? I can't seem to find this bug

A little visual annoyance:

I have disabled the sync notifications and Evernote is usually running in the background with its main windows covered up by a couple other windows. (I don't like to minimize my windows!)

As soon as Evernote starts to sync the tiny sync status messages which appear at the right bottom corner of the main window appear on top of ALL other windows.

I don't like this constant distraction and even though this is only a small visual annoyance please fix this. :)

Previously, I have been using the account switching feature quite frequently, quickly, and reliably. But since V5, it does not work in most of the cases except for immediately after a system reboot. 

When trying to switch from one account to the other, I get a CONNECTION_STILL_OPEN error message. Afterwards I could re-login, but that doesn't help: I cannot login to any of the two (premium) accounts. Stopping evernote doesn't help; only complete Windows restart. This is a real showstopper.

This has been present already in Beta2.

I'd like to be able to select text to be highlighted, right click and left click "Highlight".  Is this possible to add?

Also, when adding a note via Outlook 2010, (32-Bit), I type in a tag and it doesn't appear....it's just blank with an "x" as if it was actually typed in.  The tags do appear as they should within the Windows Desktop Client.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

This behaviour occurs using Outlook 2077 / XP as descriebed too.

• Level 5

About Note Titles: 

Can anyone give me some insight to how to control the title of a note in V5?  It keeps changing the the first line of the note I am editing. 

How do I know when the title is derived from the first line of the note vs. an actual title that I have typed in?

Ok.  Firstly, that's a "feature".  And one I kind of like.

You "know" when the title is derived because it appears twice at the top of the note

Once then an underline then the first line of your note.

You can make the title permanent and stop tracking (or not track in the first place) the first line by clicking on the words "Click to set title" where the Title would be.

• If you elect not to "set" a title when you first create the note, it will track the first line of the note.
  • If you set the title when first creating a note, it will stay at what you set and never mirror the first line of the note.
  • If you change your mind after the fact and want it to become the first line of the note, and mirror it's changes, just click on the title (not the first line of your note) and select all and delete the content there.  When you leave and come back to the note, it will have the same content as the first line
  • Level 5

Is there a fix for the issue where all note links are removed/deleted when you export to a evernote database backup and recover?

[shudder] if that's not an oversight bug, it's the first inkling into why they make it so difficult to actually use internal links.

I would have thought note reference link integrity would be maintained either through exporting them as hard reference in the export (and paying attention to them on the import) or even just through FIFO/FOFI ordering on the Export/Import.

But if there's no assurances of record ordering/reference integrity, that's a little house of cards (and a few product ideas) that just fell apart in my head.

I would say that it is a serious problem with the new UI as it breaks some core functionality for those of us who use Evernote with The Secret Weapon/GTD-style of organzing tasks.

I'm trying to get used to the new design, but I find that I'm fighting with these trivial changes to the tagging organization. The new ways of manipulating tags is very clumsy and inefficient.

There are posts from Mac users and other TSW about this same issue, but I guess we're in the minority. :(

Congrats to the Evernote team on their new design, but note that some of the changes are hard to get used to. I'm not sure if I should commit to Evernote and buy a premium membership or keep looking for another product to help me manage the chaos.

I say it's  "huge" problem...that's my first reaction to it being missing since I'm so conditioned to managing my work that way. Not trying to be too dramatic.  ;)

In 4 you used to be able to multiselect two tags and then change folders (in List view) while keeping the tag selection in place.

This is a HUGE problem.

Pretty sure he GTD community will miss this.

Was this done on purpose? 

If so I don't understand why such a seemingly simple bit of UI convenience would be tossed out.

• Level 5

When I send doxie scans over to Evernote, EN5 imports them into the active notebook I'm working in at that moment, which scatters the workflow, because it lacks a static Inbox where I can look for imported and sent stuff.

Following the right-click principal of "Show me all the things I can do with this object", Right-Click a Notebook from the side-bar.

Choose Properties.

Check the box "Make this my default notebook".

• Level 5*

I would say that it is a serious problem with the new UI as it breaks some core functionality for those of us who use Evernote with The Secret Weapon/GTD-style of organzing tasks.

I'm trying to get used to the new design, but I find that I'm fighting with these trivial changes to the tagging organization. The new ways of manipulating tags is very clumsy and inefficient.

There are posts from Mac users and other TSW about this same issue, but I guess we're in the minority. :(

Congrats to the Evernote team on their new design, but note that some of the changes are hard to get used to. I'm not sure if I should commit to Evernote and buy a premium membership or keep looking for another product to help me manage the chaos.

I say it's  "huge" problem...that's my first reaction to it being missing since I'm so conditioned to managing my work that way. Not trying to be too dramatic.  ;)

In 4 you used to be able to multiselect two tags and then change folders (in List view) while keeping the tag selection in place.

This is a HUGE problem.

Pretty sure he GTD community will miss this.

Was this done on purpose? 

If so I don't understand why such a seemingly simple bit of UI convenience would be tossed out.

Nothing against TSW (a system I have recommended to others), and I agree that an interface behavior should not change unless there is a clear reason to do it, but TSW does have some very specific requirements that make it easily "broken." Personally, I would recommend another system for organizing the chaos (I have my own http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367). Whatever you do, I recommend making it as portable as possible. Relying on metadata means you cannot easily leave Evernote for another system if you need to someday. Using the title or something unique in the content (I have reference codes) guarantees that it will easily travel from one system to another. More importantly, though, if you stick with Evernote, you can be pretty sure that things in the interface will change at some point (I think it was safe to assume the Mac behavior would make its way to the Windows app eventually, for example), so the more flexible your system is, the better.

• Level 5*

The real problem that I am having with the current V5 release is that it has become very difficult to fine-tune searches (i.e., start with a search, Ctrl-click a tag to add/remove it, change notebook or stack scope, etc., which was a real plus in the V4 world. It's something that I used to do a lot. Now I gnash my teeth a lot. :)

• Level 5*

The real problem that I am having with the current V5 release is that it has become very difficult to fine-tune searches (i.e., start with a search, Ctrl-click a tag to add/remove it, change notebook or stack scope, etc., which was a real plus in the V4 world. It's something that I used to do a lot. Now I gnash my teeth a lot. :)

It hasn't been a big issue for me, because that isn't how I do searches these days. But, then again, I have been trained to avoid them on the Mac and iOS platforms! I do remember working like that back in the old days.

Most of the time nowadays, I just close the sidebar on the Mac, and on iOS I don't have it to begin with, so I am flying without a net. Actually, the little star on the iPad that opens up my saved searches in the shortcuts area is super handy, and I find myself using the shortcuts more on the iPad than on the Mac. Go figure.

By the way, I never use the suggested searches or saved searches in the drop down. It is a terrible distraction (totally occludes the notes in Windows) and I prefer to type through the gnashing of teeth. A successful search is my reward for hard labor :)

Is there a fix for the issue where all note links are removed/deleted when you export to a evernote database backup and recover?

This is not a bug.  This is by design.  The thing that identifies each single note is the globally unique identifier (GUID).  If you're importing a note from an enex file, a new GUID is created so that the newly imported note does not potentially overwrite an existing note. 

BTW, exporting to enex is not a preferred method of backup.  That is mostly for either recovering select notes from a backup or moving notes from one account to another.  In order to do a proper backup, you need to backup the exb file.  There is plenty of discussion on the board already on this topic.  So please use the search function if you need more info.  Note links work just fine when you fully restore from a proper backup.

• Level 5

Further to the previous, Doxie should like most 3rd party apps, at least as of Doxie 2.0.1, post to the default notebook.  And if not, you can specify which it should save to.

Doxie 2.0.1 (1258) changelog

* Improved Evernote integration. Tags and the destination notebook can now

be specified from within Doxie by using the # and @ operators at the end

of the scan name. For example, to create a new note called "Assignment 1"

in the "College" notebook with tags "ENG 101" and "Essay", enter this:

Assignment 1 @College #"ENG 101" #Essay

Double-quotes are required if the tag/notebook contains a space. Omit the

notebook if the default notebook is desired.

• Evernote Expert

How to search for notes with pdf files in V5?

I know I can't search in a pdf file without a premium account.  I just want to list my notes, by search or filter, which contain embedded pdf files.  How can this be done?

Also, I wonder what happened to the useful attribute searches that used to be at the bottom of the left column.  Any simple way to access these?

Thanks for any help.  

Joe

Hi, I think that is a bug to create new notebooks in Evernote 5! I tried a several times, I even tried to install again, but the error still there....

What can I do to solve it?! I just became premium user, it`s so sad that it is not working...

Hi Paula, the Evernote v5 is a brand new design release and is bound to have a few teething problems. If you are a new user, you may have some issues initially, especially if you are a little unfamiliar with some of the processes like data backup etc. if you want a more stable version, suggest you go to version 4 with latest update, and you can later on upgrade to v5, like many users want to do this way.

First of all a big thank you to the EN team - I do like the new version.Yes, it takes time getting used to the new GUI and the new features, but overall in my experience it is more powerful. I am already faster in structuring my notes as I was with EV4.

I do have some comments though:

1. EV5 crashes non-reproducible - a few times a day, when I use the notes list view panel, and select other tags and/or notebooks in that panel
  2. I am old enough to remember the time we switched from monochrome monitors to color monitors. So this new GUI paradigm with flat and no-color icons is making me feel old. I do like colors. Please give us an option, to skin the application or put some color back.
  3. Saved searches in the search bar is something I had to get used too, but it is okay. It should definitely be in the "What's new" section, I searched some time until I found it, and I think I am not the only one.
  4. And there is a feature I am really missing, which is not unique to EV5 and has bugged me since day 1: Please give us an option to turn off auto-creating tags. I know, the twitter generation is using tags more generously, but I use my tags for structuring my notes, not for searching notes (EV search feature is powerful enough for this), and I have nested tags. Creating a new tag is always a though process for me, and I never "just make a new tag". And deleting accidentally created tags is still a pain in the ass, and even after years of using EV it still happens to me much too frequently.

But overall thanks for new version! I like it!

Just reproduced the crash after it happened during normal use a couple of times this morning.

Started sync

Selected all of my Notes

Searched for something

Seems to happen first or second time I search.

Regards

Chris

I also am having a hard time with searches and am now trying to learn more about typing in my searches (a LOT slower).  :(

I want to search for a note that contains the words "storage" and "rack" and contains either a jpg or png file.  I can't figure out how to do this, did some searching and discovered BitQwik :) BUT then discovered that doesn't work V5. :angry:

Can anyone help me fix this search:  storage rack any:resource:image/jpeg resource:image/png    :wacko: 

[*]And there is a feature I am really missing, which is not unique to EV5 and has bugged me since day 1: Please give us an option to turn off auto-creating tags. I know, the twitter generation is using tags more generously, but I use my tags for structuring my notes, not for searching notes (EV search feature is powerful enough for this), and I have nested tags. Creating a new tag is always a though process for me, and I never "just make a new tag". And deleting accidentally created tags is still a pain in the ass, and even after years of using EV it still happens to me much too frequently.

But overall thanks for new version! I like it!

Evernote itself or the Windows client does not auto create tags. There may be an additional app (Hello, Skitch, Food) or a third party app you're using that is doing this.

[*]And there is a feature I am really missing, which is not unique to EV5 and has bugged me since day 1: Please give us an option to turn off auto-creating tags ...

Evernote itself or the Windows client does not auto create tags. There may be an additional app (Hello, Skitch, Food) or a third party app you're using that is doing this.

Sorry for my unclear post. I should have written it "EN should not automatically create non-existing tags".

For instance, I have a tag "ToDoNow". If I type "todonw", backspace the "w" and forget to explicitly select the "ToDoNow" entry. which is popping up again, but not selected, hitting enter will auto-create a new tag "todon". Which I have to find in the tag list and select and delete. I never want EN to make a new tag for me.

EDIT: I don't think this belongs to the EN5 discussion, so I created a new topic, which I hope is more clearly then my first post (English is not my mother language).

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41930-request-option-to-ask-before-automatically-creating-a-new-tag/

• Level 5*

I also am having a hard time with searches and am now trying to learn more about typing in my searches (a LOT slower).  :(

I want to search for a note that contains the words "storage" and "rack" and contains either a jpg or png file.  I can't figure out how to do this, did some searching and discovered BitQwik :) BUT then discovered that doesn't work V5. :angry:

Yes, unfortunately, BitQuik got bushwhacked by a change to the (secret) Evernote WIndows API.

Can anyone help me fix this search:  storage rack any:resource:image/jpeg resource:image/png    :wacko: 

The any: term must be alone, and following any context term (notebook: or stack:), and it applies to the whole search. In general, you can't mix AND and OR searches, but you can find both PNG and JPG images (plus any other image type) using the wildcard: "resource:image/*"

See if this works for you: 

storage rack resource:image/*

Yes, unfortunately, BitQuik got bushwhacked by a change to the (secret) Evernote WIndows API.

The any: term must be alone, and following any context term (notebook: or stack:), and it applies to the whole search. In general, you can't mix AND and OR searches, but you can find both PNG and JPG images (plus any other image type) using the wildcard: "resource:image/*"

See if this works for you: 

storage rack resource:image/*

Yes!  resource:image/* works very well for what I was trying to find.  Thank you jefito. 

I really hope this post isn't buried in with rest (unless, of course, somewhere in the hundreds of comments, someone already talked about this!)

In the previus EN version, I could click on a notebook, then click on a tag, and it would automatically display notes that matched both criteria. In EN 5, this is not working.  For example, I have a notebook called "Next Actions" which represent my to-do items.  I then have tags by project and day, etc.  When I now click on Next Actions, I get the 50 notes I have entered.  When I then click on one of my tags, (in this case 14 for fourteenth day of the month), I see notes associated with this tag across ALL notebooks, not just Next Actions. 

The image I have attached is the search bar when I click on a tag (in this case, 14) 

post-150779-0-08515300-1378840216_thumb.

Ideally, when I click on the dropdown menu for notebooks, and select "Next Actions", I should see all notes from the Next Action notebook with the tag "14".  But, instead, I am just given all notes in "Next Actions" notebook again, and any reference to the tag is lost. 

BTW, this is clearly a bug in ver. 5 for Windows - this click to search feature works PERFECTLY with my online EN account.

• Level 5*

I really hope this post isn't buried in with rest (unless, of course, somewhere in the hundreds of comments, someone already talked about this!)

In the previus EN version, I could click on a notebook, then click on a tag, and it would automatically display notes that matched both criteria. In EN 5, this is not working.  For example, I have a notebook called "Next Actions" which represent my to-do items.  I then have tags by project and day, etc.  When I now click on Next Actions, I get the 50 notes I have entered.  When I then click on one of my tags, (in this case 14 for fourteenth day of the month), I see notes associated with this tag across ALL notebooks, not just Next Actions. 

The image I have attached is the search bar when I click on a tag (in this case, 14) 

attachicon.gifevernote2.jpg

Ideally, when I click on the dropdown menu for notebooks, and select "Next Actions", I should see all notes from the Next Action notebook with the tag "14".  But, instead, I am just given all notes in "Next Actions" notebook again, and any reference to the tag is lost. 

BTW, this is clearly a bug in ver. 5 for Windows - this click to search feature works PERFECTLY with my online EN account.

Workaround.  Select the notebook, hit Shift-ALT-T and enter the tag you want.  Or click on the tag icon next to the layout icon, I believe.

Nothing against TSW (a system I have recommended to others), and I agree that an interface behavior should not change unless there is a clear reason to do it, but TSW does have some very specific requirements that make it easily "broken."

I'm not so sure about this. TSW makes use of Folders and Tags, which are pretty standard conventions in the GTD community and other todo-type of applications. Folders & tags are still present in Evernote 5, it's just that it's now more difficult to organize tags while still viewing the content within those tags.

That said, TSW always seemed like it was shoehorned into Evernote. It never fit very well.

I'd like to be able to select text to be highlighted, right click and left click "Highlight".  Is this possible to add?

Also, when adding a note via Outlook 2010, (32-Bit), I type in a tag and it doesn't appear....it's just blank with an "x" as if it was actually typed in.  The tags do appear as they should within the Windows Desktop Client.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

I noticed this also.  However, when the content arrives in Evernote, the tag is there.

OK, I found a bug/problem. 

I normally copy/paste from a note to Word 2010. Then I check/correct/save in Word so I can send it to my editor (we only use Word & Dropbox). After I finish saving, I copy the data in Word and paste over the previous text in the same note (so that I have the corrected copy in EN).

The problem I've run into is that after I paste back into my note, EN freezes. I get a "Not Responding" message and have to force close. I've waited for over 10 minutes and it doesn't do anything unless I force close it through the task manager. When I reopen EN, the text did not paste, but if I paste over again, it works fine.

Is there a workaround? I don't want to attach the word documents, since I want to be able to search through the text as reference for later work.

About Note Titles: 

As far as I can tell, if the first place you enter text in an untitled note is the body, then auto-title kicks in.  If you type the note title first, then that will stay static unless you change it.

If you manually edit the title of an auto-titled note, it will then stay static from that point on, regardless of the content of the first line of the note.

Hopefully this works for you!

[EDIT] Oops, this was answered here.  This *is* a long thread!

I normally copy/paste from a note to Word 2010. Then I check/correct/save in Word so I can send it to my editor (we only use Word & Dropbox). After I finish saving, I copy the data in Word and paste over the previous text in the same note (so that I have the corrected copy in EN).

The problem I've run into is that after I paste back into my note, EN freezes. I get a "Not Responding" message and have to force close. I've waited for over 10 minutes and it doesn't do anything unless I force close it through the task manager. When I reopen EN, the text did not paste, but if I paste over again, it works fine.

Is there a workaround? I don't want to attach the word documents, since I want to be able to search through the text as reference for later work.

Hi Jacqui,

I have just tried this and had no problem.

Check what version you are on. Did you update to the latest version with bugfixes?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41939-evernote-for-windows-501-ga-bugfixes/

Obviously try re booting your computer to see if that fixes the problem.

If it is still a problem get a ticket raised.

A possible workaround would be to right click in the Note and choose 'Paste as text'

Best regards

Chris

Hi Jacqui,

I have just tried this and had no problem.

Check what version you are on. Did you update to the latest version with bugfixes?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41939-evernote-for-windows-501-ga-bugfixes/

Obviously try re booting your computer to see if that fixes the problem.

If it is still a problem get a ticket raised.

A possible workaround would be to right click in the Note and choose 'Paste as text'

Best regards

Chris

Hi Jacqui,

Forgot to mention. Evernote does search Word documents now as well.

Best regards

Chris

I had not updated yet (I hadn't realized a new update came out since I only downloaded late last week!). After updating, a quick test showed it to paste fine, but my articles are in the 1000 word range, I'll test again later.

I also didn't know EN now searches Word documents. Can I simply attach it and have it search, or do I need to do something special (I'm a Premium User if it makes a difference).

Hi Jacqui,

Just attach. I have an 'Import Folder' set up. Once the original Word document has been saved, it goes into the designated Evernote Notebook. 

Just remember that if you want to work on the document again, open it from Evernote and you only have to save. Your original location for the Word document will not be updated. Once you get your head around this, it should not be a problem, just a different way of working.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Jacqui,

Just attach. I have an 'Import Folder' set up. Once the original Word document has been saved, it goes into the designated Evernote Notebook. 

Just remember that if you want to work on the document again, open it from Evernote and you only have to save. Your original location for the Word document will not be updated. Once you get your head around this, it should not be a problem, just a different way of working.

Best regards

Chris

OK, I do this with Excel all the time (I don't know why I thought it would be different in Word.)

And I ran into the issue again, although I caught a step this time I forgot to mention (and may be part of the problem). After I paste, I sync, to ensure that the new version is properly saved. That's when it freezes, during the sync. I'm off to submit a ticket for it.

Jackolicious - Thanks for making multi-select a priority.  I'm another vote for how important that is.  Additional feedback:

Agree with other posters that I would prefer:

- search bar back to the left

- (GrumpyMunky) Let us turn off incremental search. Let us turn off suggested search terms. Let us turn off search history

New comment (?): Would like some way to make a more compact view.  Specifically, I dislike the forced blank space below the title bar above the first line of the note content, and I would prefer less empty space above / below lines in the left pane.

Thanks for considering our input.

Additional notes:

- Thanks! for addressing the multiple tag select concern

- highlighting of search terms in notes doesn't highlight proper part of the note

- bulleted / nested list format gets jacked up.  It has never been great (v3 to v4 seemed to mess up some), but worse now

-

Hmm. There is a lot to like about the new version - and some things that simply 'aren't so good'. Display efficiency seems to be worse, so I end up dragging scroll bars around - in particular, moving the shortcuts to the left means that there's less space for my list of Notebooks. There's more space at the top, of course - we have a menu bar that takes up half the screen, and the Evernote toolbar that could be the other half - or do what other apps (eg Firefox) have done and hide the menu. And card view? What was wrong with thumbnails - I got far more into that pane than I can now (three across) - if I drag it out I can get two across but nowhere near as fast to navigate.

There's lots more space around words too - which makes it cleaner and airier, but means that there's less on screen - because we have a very monochromatic interface, there's no use of colour to differentiate stuff.  Seems like it's been cleaned up, probably make it all more accessible to the newbie - but harder work for those of us who live our lives in it!

The v5 has a much better look than the previous versions, Thank you and crongratulations for that!

But i don't understand why not make available the text formatting options "Section" and Subsection" like on the iphone app. It's a much simpler way to create titles and subtitles.

I have to type notes on the desktop and then edit the titles on my iphone everytime..

So that's my suggestion for the next release! Thanks again

Okay, its true.  I'm beginning to find Evernote indispensable.  Thanks for a great product!

But... (always a "but") I have to get something off my chest (I'm feeling a little cheeky after discovering that the support ticket page only accepts 500 characters, so please bear with me.  I *do* like the product.  See, look:  SMILIES!  :) :) :) ).

I just installed version 5.0 on a new system and I HATE IT!  (version 5, not Evernote)

My Windows laptop runs version 4.6.7 and there is a bar in the app with the note title and a folder selection pulldown. 

But there is also a tiny little Carat right on the very right edge.  That little Carat is my friend. 

Do you know what the Carat does? 

It lets me get rid of all the useless clutter that I have no need of.

I click it once, and a bar appears over my note window with the useless url and useless add tag button.

I click again and I get an even BIGGER bar with tons of "stuff" (this might be a family forum) in it that I am not interested in, or already appears in the document list, like dates and location and who knows what other "stuff".

But here's the cool part.  I click it a THIRD time...  and all the useless "stuff" goes away.  My window is clean, uncluttered and fully functional.

I REALLY LOVED that little Carat.  I WANT IT BACK!

But do you know what I want back even more? 

The HUGE amount of my window that is completely unmovable and unresizable sitting RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of my Evernote window between the document list, and the note window, which are the ONLY two things I want there at all. 

Ever.  (Note-ed?)

Simplicity.  I read articles on the internet ALL THE TIME how there are folks that take one look at Evernote and feel its "too complicated". 

I agree.  What has enabled me to use it is that I've been able to weed out all the stuff I don't need, like the folder list in the left panel.  There are TWO folder selection drop downs (three if I don't click my carat enough times) that let me choose folders in the article list and note panel.  WHY would I want to dedicate half of my very tiny laptop screen to a redundant "drop down" list that doesn't roll back up, but just sits there TAKING UP SPACE???

There are a couple other new space wasters in version 5.0.

The "Customize toolbar..." feature used to let you customize the great big yawning empty spot to the right of the menu.

No more.  Now its UNDER the menu, with miles and miles of space to the right of the menu that I will never get back.

But its no big deal, the customizable toolbar can be customized, right?  I only EVER used two buttons there (synch and new) and I can use the menu instead (since its not going away, like the way it does in Firefox) and get used to living without.  Right?

Oops!  Wrong.  I can "customize" and remove ALMOST everything from the customizable menu bar.  Everything EXCEPT the search bar.  So NOW, I have ANOTHER huge chunk of real estate, completely lost, that I can't get back.

And there's something odd with the edit tool strip.  It kind of pops in and out kind of at random.  I DON'T get back any real estate when it goes away though, it just covers up the bottom of the ugly panel that won't go away either.

Neat.  Simple.  Clean.  Windows suffers TERRIBLY from feature bloat.  There are so many apps out there that you can't even fit all the icons on the screen.  Gah! 

In fact, if I had a choice, I'd make the 4.6 app EVEN SIMPLER!  I'd love it if the note list and maybe even the menu bar had friendly little Carats. 

Where have all the Carats gone? (Long time passin')

Also, 10 seconds after I type in the note title I can live without the title bar.

And I'd love to have a button that let me open and close the edit strip easily so I could stop looking at it when I don't need it.

Heck, sometimes I double click on a note and get rid of the Evernote window completely.  But its not very satisfying, since there's alot of stuff on the individual pop-out note Window.  And I'm paranoid, and I like to click "sync" a LOT, and I just have to go back and re-open the main window to do that (Not really.  I can use the menu - or F9 - since I can't get rid of the menu...).

Anyway, please take this as tongue-in-cheek but also as constructive criticism.  You have a balancing act to perform (I'm a 35 year software developer, so I understand).  Some of your customers can't get enough.  But I have read about how intimidating Evernote *can* be for Window phobes, or just people like me that stare at a screen all day and want to get back as much of my screen real estate as I can.

But, PLEASE!  Keep up the good work.  Evernote has a permanent place on my desktop, even if I have to upgrade.

Hmmm.  Have to look in to that.  Can I downgrade to version 4.6?

Okay, its true.  I'm beginning to find Evernote indispensable.  Thanks for a great product!

But... (always a "but") I have to get something off my chest (I'm feeling a little cheeky after discovering that the support ticket page only accepts 500 characters, so please bear with me.  I *do* like the product.  See, look:  SMILIES!  :) :) :) ).

I just installed version 5.0 on a new system and I HATE IT!  (version 5, not Evernote)

My Windows laptop runs version 4.6.7 and there is a bar in the app with the note title and a folder selection pulldown. 

But there is also a tiny little Carat right on the very right edge.  That little Carat is my friend. 

I click it once, and a bar appears over my note window with the useless url and useless add tag button.

I click again and I get an even BIGGER bar with tons of "stuff" (this might be a family forum) in it that I am not interested in, or already appears in the document list, like dates and location and who knows what other "stuff".

But here's the cool part.  I click it a THIRD time...  and all the useless "stuff" goes away.  My window is clean, uncluttered and fully functional.

The HUGE amount of my window that is completely unmovable and unresizable sitting RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of my Evernote window between the document list, and the note window, which are the ONLY two things I want there at all. 

Ever.  (Note-ed?)

Simplicity.  I read articles on the internet ALL THE TIME how there are folks that take one look at Evernote and feel its "too complicated". 

I agree.  What has enabled me to use it is that I've been able to weed out all the stuff I don't need, like the folder list in the left panel.  There are TWO folder selection drop downs (three if I don't click my carat enough times) that let me choose folders in the article list and note panel.  WHY would I want to dedicate half of my very tiny laptop screen to a redundant "drop down" list that doesn't roll back up, but just sits there TAKING UP SPACE???

The "Customize toolbar..." feature used to let you customize the great big yawning empty spot to the right of the menu.

No more.  Now its UNDER the menu, with miles and miles of space to the right of the menu that I will never get back.

But its no big deal, the customizable toolbar can be customized, right?  I only EVER used two buttons there (synch and new) and I can use the menu instead (since its not going away, like the way it does in Firefox) and get used to living without.  Right?

Oops!  Wrong.  I can "customize" and remove ALMOST everything from the customizable menu bar.  Everything EXCEPT the search bar.  So NOW, I have ANOTHER huge chunk of real estate, completely lost, that I can't get back.

And there's something odd with the edit tool strip.  It kind of pops in and out kind of at random.  I DON'T get back any real estate when it goes away though, it just covers up the bottom of the ugly panel that won't go away either.

Neat.  Simple.  Clean.  Windows suffers TERRIBLY from feature bloat.  There are so many apps out there that you can't even fit all the icons on the screen.  Gah! 

In fact, if I had a choice, I'd make the 4.6 app EVEN SIMPLER!  I'd love it if the note list and maybe even the menu bar had friendly little Carats. 

Also, 10 seconds after I type in the note title I can live without the title bar.

And I'd love to have a button that let me open and close the edit strip easily so I could stop looking at it when I don't need it.

Heck, sometimes I double click on a note and get rid of the Evernote window completely.  But its not very satisfying, since there's alot of stuff on the individual pop-out note Window.  And I'm paranoid, and I like to click "sync" a LOT, and I just have to go back and re-open the main window to do that (Not really.  I can use the menu - or F9 - since I can't get rid of the menu...).

Anyway, please take this as tongue-in-cheek but also as constructive criticism.  You have a balancing act to perform (I'm a 35 year software developer, so I understand).  Some of your customers can't get enough.  But I have read about how intimidating Evernote *can* be for Window phobes, or just people like me that stare at a screen all day and want to get back as much of my screen real estate as I can.

But, PLEASE!  Keep up the good work.  Evernote has a permanent place on my desktop, even if I have to upgrade.

Awesome reply, lol and welcome to the EN forums!

• Level 5

A word of thanks and gratitude to the users who decided to pave the way forward by upgrading to version 5.0 - thank you for your effort in pointing out the issues and bugs. I'm sticking with version 4.6 for at least a couple more months until the dust settles (December?). Other users might want to think twice before making the leap to 5.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

I noticed this also.  However, when the content arrives in Evernote, the tag is there.

Yep, this bug is on our radar

Ever.  (Note-ed?)

Yeah, it is a balancing act. I'd love to make it a simpler app (I think V5 is visually less cluttered than V4), but at the same time we do get posts about how there's not enough stuff "for those of us who live in the app."

We'll keep tinkering. If you hang around long enough GrumpyMonkey and I will get into another (friendly) argument over how customizable the UI should be :)

• Level 5*

Ever.  (Note-ed?)

Yeah, it is a balancing act. I'd love to make it a simpler app (I think V5 is visually less cluttered than V4), but at the same time we do get posts about how there's not enough stuff "for those of us who live in the app."

We'll keep tinkering. If you hang around long enough GrumpyMonkey and I will get into another (friendly) argument over how customizable the UI should be :)

I'm ready to throw down anytime!

But, you have to be given credit for keeping so many powerful features in the app when you made the transition. Simple things like the search explanations even are much appreciated.

Thanks for a GREAT post, my feeling exactly! I have Evernote 5 running on an old laptop, just to remind me why I love Evernote 4.6 which is running on my PC. When the Evernote 5 on the "old laptop" takes care of all of the many problems "you" pointed out, then it will be time to upgrade.

I pointed this out in another post, when I was a kid I watched black and white TV and loved it, but I don't watch black and white TV now!

Regards,

David in Wichita

EN user since 2008. Love EN and growing to love 5.

1. Suggestions:
    1. Reminders:
      1. Add reminders to List View
      2. Allow user to show a reminder's due time in all views (as in iOS)
    2. Left Panel:
      1. Separate out Folders for main and shared accounts
      2. Separate out Tags for main and shared accounts
    3. List view
      1. allow option for reading pane on the right (as in snippet view)..this was not avail in versions prior to 5 either
  2. Bugs?:
    1. Back/Forward arrow does not consistently move backward/forward to the correct (last viewed) note

Thank you for all your work in improving Evernote

• Level 5*
  • Separate out Folders for main and shared accounts
  • Separate out Tags for main and shared accounts
I'd amend the first to "allow notebooks for main, shared and Business accounts to be separated", since I prefer to be able to mix and match notebooks of any provenance. Similar for the tags, though the current mode is less to my liking currently. Things should get better once "Show/hide unassigned tags" comes back into the functional world.

• allow option for reading pane on the right (as in snippet view)..this was not avail in versions prior to 5 either
Vertical list view? Try the Ctrl+Shift+F5 shortcut to get there (might take a couple of presses).

I don't know if I can take any more of this. First the 5 beta, which should have been classed an alpha because of the crashes. A beta is supposed to be solid for everyday use, but with a few rough edges. Your beta should never have been made public. I've followed the Evernote 5 discussion on LinkedIn, and the terrible experiences of other users affirmed my miserable experience of trying the beta and having my work life destroyed. I loved the new functionality and look, but then it crashed and crashed and crashed. Fortunately, after I uninstalled it and reinstalled the 4.7 from an executable file I had archived, I could continue using Evernote to do my work. Then, this evening, the clipper updated in Chrome, but it does not clip. The circle turns but nothing happens. How many straws does it take to break a camel's back?

Evernote has a good concept behind it, but the execution is execrable. This week was a big patch week for Microsoft, too, and I've lost many hours of productivity to their incompetence. I'm now placing Evernote in the same category of companies. Next week, I buy a Mac. Tonight, I begin migrating my GTD system out of Evernote. 

• Level 5

Just perhaps keep in mind that your experience might not be universal.

I've had every version of Evernote since the near beginning. And I'm one of the more critical forum grumps.

Yet after a few freezes and crashes in the first couple days, it's been smooth sailing since.

My GTD methods are generally fine other than some Reminder related search wigginess (but I've also been adapting to v5 on the mac side for a while, and I more rely on GTD stuff on my mobile devices).

I saw the update go through on web clipper today, and other than having to re-log in and enter my 2 factor code again, it all went smoothly.

If anyone else in my company had issues with the update in Chrome (the mandated browser) it would have come across my desk. Nothing so far.

I'm generally a happy camper in Evernote land.

• Separate out Folders for main and shared accounts
  • Separate out Tags for main and shared accounts

I'd amend the first to "allow notebooks for main, shared and Business accounts to be separated", since I prefer to be able to mix and match notebooks of any provenance. Similar for the tags, though the current mode is less to my liking currently. Things should get better once "Show/hide unassigned tags" comes back into the functional world.

• allow option for reading pane on the right (as in snippet view)..this was not avail in versions prior to 5 either

Vertical list view? Try the Ctrl+Shift+F5 shortcut to get there (might take a couple of presses).

Thanks for the vertical list view shortcut!!!!

I like the overall look, but functionally for me it is a bit of a step backward. 

I use tags liberally, and there is precious little space to view or add tags (I never have liked the dialog box method once you run out of toolbar space). I was initially pleased to see that at least I could modify/customize the toolbar and get rid of some of the default tools. But whenever I customize that area of the toolbar it holds for a while but then I'll start reviewing a note for tags and see that the tool icons I removed have returned. What's up with that?

Also, I cannot believe you have a search bar that takes up 50% of the width of the app display area? You don't need to enter the first paragraph of an article to find what the note you're looking for. I can't believe what an obvious design flaw this is. Open up that space for other use (tool icons or more tags) and make the search bar automatically shrink so that additional tools can be added there.

Close, sort of. Definitely no cigar.

• Level 5*

I agree with the previous post. I think part of the concern I have is with the size of the icons: the same as fifth-place with the rest of the design.the problem is made worse if you use the labels as well as the icons. I am not a web designer, but I do enjoy seeing a good layout: unfortunately, this does not quite make the grade.

• Level 5

I can agree with the notion of the search width yielding space if you elect to cram addition items in the customized toolbar.

But in general the width serves to meet the other complaints that "it's so far to mouse over to the search". It obviously doesn't need to be that wide to accomodate the search content generally, but recall that it's multi-functional now unlike in v4 and clearly my saved searches may be longer than yours, and I appreciate the width. Primarily it gives a large click target.

It's hard to complain about it being farther away in v5 than in v4 where it used to be in the center, when it starts only a cm to the right of where it used to end, and the click target is half your display.

Can you make it an option to always show the Created/Updated/Link on a note? Instead of being able to simply click the link, now it takes 2 clicks, one to show it and one to click it. I understand you're trying to clean up the interface but you should at least give us the option!

Missing "Search Options" (Mac 5) or "Filters" (Web) - like "contents", "source", "created". Was in EN 4 Win in the left sidebar. Of course I can use the search syntax. But would be great to get such instant filters again!

post-84041-0-60084300-1379432421_thumb.j

Archived