Windows V5 Discussion

dlu

For the love of God, please remove the 'related notes' feature or allow me to turn it off. I use EN for both wok and personal.  I was showing a colleague one of the work notes (on the proector) when it showed snippets of personal notes.  Totally not acceptable.

There are numerous reasons why someone would not want to have this functionality.

View -> Show related Notes.

Aha... that worked. Thanks a million.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

The client seems to be generally fast, including the new sync bar on the sides, but i still face this problem. The moment i type a search option, the client freezes for a few seconds, before it offers me the search options in my account. Any one else facing this issue? I faced this problem in the beta version too.

On my netbook, the search is still running for the word "yes." It says "Not Responding" at the top. Everything else works fine, apparently, but not the search. Still a spinning blue disk... Oh goodness, it looks like I went and ruined things :(

• Level 5*

The client seems to be generally fast, including the new sync bar on the sides, but i still face this problem. The moment i type a search option, the client freezes for a few seconds, before it offers me the search options in my account. Any one else facing this issue? I faced this problem in the beta version too.

On my netbook, the search is still running for the word "yes." It says "Not Responding" at the top. Everything else works fine, apparently, but not the search. Still a spinning blue disk... Oh goodness, it looks like I went and ruined things :(

Done! It just completed (I think it was about three minutes total to find six notes). I think I will hold off on searches for a while!

I just realized, though, that the app doesn't tell you how many hits you get from a search. What!? Surely other people are finding this to be a problem. I mean, it isn't as if the notes are arranged by relevance or anything, so you are going to have to scroll. How do you know if you have 10 or 1,000 notes to wade through? I guess the scroll bar gives a hint, but is there really no room for numbers? I'd recommend giving us the data.

[Edit:] See below http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41552-windows-v5-discussion/?p=224229

For the love of God, please remove the 'related notes' feature or allow me to turn it off. I use EN for both wok and personal.  I was showing a colleague one of the work notes (on the proector) when it showed snippets of personal notes.  Totally not acceptable.

There are numerous reasons why someone would not want to have this functionality.

You can disable the related notes under the "view" option.

• Level 5*

I just realized, though, that the app doesn't tell you how many hits you get from a search. What!? Surely other people are finding this to be a problem. I mean, it isn't as if the notes are arranged by relevance or anything, so you are going to have to scroll. How do you know if you have 10 or 1,000 notes to wade through? I guess the scroll bar gives a hint, but is there really no room for numbers? I'd recommend giving us the data.

Should tell you at the bottom of the application in the status bar. You can enable/disable this: View / Show Status Bar
  • Level 5*

Should tell you at the bottom of the application in the status bar. You can enable/disable this: View / Show Status Bar

That's what happens when you get a Mac noob spending too little time with the Windows app. I thought I had that status bar on, but I guess not. Hand to forehead, Evernote Evangelist badge shrouded in shame.

In 4 you used to be able to multiselect two tags and then change folders (in List view) while keeping the tag selection in place.

So if I have an Action Pending folder and I want to see which notes in that folder share the tags "Work" and "Now", I can't do it.

If I select the tags first, they are deselected when I switch folders.

If I select the folder first, and then select the tags by using Ctrl+click, then the folder is set back to All Folders.

I'm using v4.6.7 and pressing Ctrl+Click does not do a multiselect; it just selects one tag at a time.

What else is necessary in order for this to work?

• Level 5*

In 4 you used to be able to multiselect two tags and then change folders (in List view) while keeping the tag selection in place.

So if I have an Action Pending folder and I want to see which notes in that folder share the tags "Work" and "Now", I can't do it.

If I select the tags first, they are deselected when I switch folders.

If I select the folder first, and then select the tags by using Ctrl+click, then the folder is set back to All Folders.

I'm using v4.6.7 and pressing Ctrl+Click does not do a multiselect; it just selects one tag at a time.

What else is necessary in order for this to work?

As far as I can tell, tag multi-select is missing in action in the V5 release as it stands.

I'm trying it in v4.6.7, not v5.

Pressing Ctrl+Click does not do a multiselect; it just selects one tag at a time.

Are there some other conditions that are required in order for this to work?

That feature is missing in action. I appreciate all the feedback on how it is very useful to folks, especially GTD etc. I find that understanding the specific use cases & workflows to be very useful.

thanks!

Having the bar right above the results makes more sense than having the bar all the way to the right as I'm trying to narrow my results down.

Again, this confounds me.  Having the bar right above the results OBSCURES them.  As soon as I click into the search field if drops 3/4 of the way down my 1600x900 display.  And doesn't get much shorter as I type and it matches possible search queries.  I wouldn't see any of my results if it wasn't next to rather than on top of the note list.

Remember that you don't just click a search and it goes away.  As you type, both the contents of the drop down refine, as well as the resulting note list.

Remember that the drop-down behavior is new to V5, and something that I'm not wholly convinced is useful all the time. I can see where it's useful sometimes, but other times I don't want/need it. Again, though, my main problem with the new location is that while I'm typing over *here*, the list that it modified is over *there*, and that's a disconnect in the UI, and a focus problem. I have to believe that there's a better solution.

I didn't connect these 2 earlier but that's probably one reason they moved it.  I can see the benefits of the recent searches showing up but it would present a problem if the search moved back to its v4 position.  Short answer have an option to have the old search bar come back right over the notes without recent history.  I know developers hate that sort of stuff but I find the v5 search location much less functional as a power user.

Ditto on this issue.

• Level 5

Ditto on this issue.

Ditto on the previous reply that it's user controlled?

View -> Show related Notes.

Having the bar right above the results makes more sense than having the bar all the way to the right as I'm trying to narrow my results down.

Again, this confounds me.  Having the bar right above the results OBSCURES them.  As soon as I click into the search field if drops 3/4 of the way down my 1600x900 display.  And doesn't get much shorter as I type and it matches possible search queries.  I wouldn't see any of my results if it wasn't next to rather than on top of the note list.

Remember that you don't just click a search and it goes away.  As you type, both the contents of the drop down refine, as well as the resulting note list.

Remember that the drop-down behavior is new to V5, and something that I'm not wholly convinced is useful all the time. I can see where it's useful sometimes, but other times I don't want/need it. Again, though, my main problem with the new location is that while I'm typing over *here*, the list that it modified is over *there*, and that's a disconnect in the UI, and a focus problem. I have to believe that there's a better solution.

I didn't connect these 2 earlier but that's probably one reason they moved it.  I can see the benefits of the recent searches showing up but it would present a problem if the search moved back to its v4 position.  Short answer have an option to have the old search bar come back right over the notes without recent history.  I know developers hate that sort of stuff but I find the v5 search location much less functional as a power user.

YES! +1

Experiencing same invisible tags behavior w/ Outlook 2007 addin

Also, when adding a note via Outlook 2010, (32-Bit), I type in a tag and it doesn't appear....it's just blank with an "x" as if it was actually typed in.  The tags do appear as they should within the Windows Desktop Client.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

The new flat GUI, emphasizing large areas of gray, makes me want to keep the application window as small as possible: otherwise--when it is maximized-- the application transforms my screen into a depressing palate, an amateurish gray poster. 

Instead of using graphic elements to mark and weight the different views (left panel, note list, note panel), all views are given exactly the same (for me depressing) gray.  With extended use, I'm finding that my eyes need relief from the unrelenting fields of gray.  

Here's a question for your UI design people.  Isn't a prime responsibility of the GUI this: that it uses color and position to mark the importance and meaning of the different application views?   If so, can they really say that this GUI is meeting its responsibilities?   

Many of us have a monitor which can display a variety of colors in order to help the eye find GUI elements!  The insistence on a monochrome seems to privilege a notion of cool over practical usability and warmth, IMO.

I feel the same way about the overall color scheme - In the new features video the lead designer (I believe) said the new design makes your content "pop" but most of my content is black text so it all washes together. Maybe I need more pictures of food or something to provide some pop. Perhaps an option to apply a "Skin" and give us various color schemes to choose from?

• Level 5*

I'm also going to miss the favorites bar. It was nice to have the most used Saved Searches pinned up there, or may be a notebook or tag where it was one click away.

Same here. My 4.x favorites bar is very useful, and visible 100% of the time. The 5.x shortcut bar is less functional, and scrolls out of view. More clicks. 

• Level 5*

I'm back on 4.6.

I use the Secret Weapon GTD method. And I was not able to do following filter use case:

1) I have a filtered list view with notebook "actions pending", tag "2-next"

2) Now I want to change the filter to "actions pending", "3-soon". So I added "3-soon" to the filter (drag the tag from the left to the filter-bar above the list-view). Now I have no tasks, because the filter is as follows: "actions pending", "2-next", "3-soon" - and a task should not have two priority tags.

3) Next step would be, to de-select the tag "2-next". But this does not work.Clicking on the tag "2-next" has no effect, it resists and stays there. Obviously a bug.

With these drawbacks of filtering tasks, I can't use EN 5. I would try to use it if there would be a keyboard shortcut for the filter bar (NOT the search field). But if changing the filter does not work properly, I will never be as effective with EN 5 as with EN 4.

Cheers

Thomas

I am a GTD users too and 5.x isn't as good for us IMHO. I do like the saved searches showing up in the search box, but that is outweighed by not being able to have 2 of my most common searches pinned to my Favorites bar accessible 100% of the time by just clicking on them. There definitely should be a heavy duty GTD user on the design team.

And business user.

And on WIndows.

With my phone number to bounce ideas off of.  :D

• Level 5

The moment i type a search option, the client freezes for a few seconds, before it offers me the search options in my account. 

No, it's been prompt for me there.

I do get freezes and spinning mouse pointer elsewhere before the screen refreshes and it continues on.

Randomly when clicking on the reminder states.

And just now a couple times when deleting chunks of HTML/XML in a web clipped note.

Sort of two seconds of freeze, 2-3 seconds of spin, then a screen refresh and all's normal again.

I just started using Evernote 5 instead of the older version and here are my first impressions.

• Highlighter - fantastic feature - so happy they included this.
  • Related Notes - I really liked this version in Google search and now it is brought to the searching within Evernote as well. This is an excellent intuitive discovery way  to find similar or related notes to the one you are writing or working in. It is already saving me time as I occasionally forget about some notes I have already written.
  • Atlas Feature - not really using it yet but I think it has potential.

Dislikes:

• Less colour - The colour is removed from this version and now there is too much white - C'mon Evernote, embrace your innner green! :) Or let us choose custom colours. 
  • Movement of search box - I really liked the search box at the top of the Snippet view. This way the search and tags and all other ways I could narrow the search were in one spot. But now, with the search moved to the top right side, it is disconnected from the area where I am narrowing my search.
Still Waiting For:

• Keeping sort order when I share Notebook. One feature I am still waiting for is for Evernote to keep the sort view when sharing Notebooks. This would let me publish ebooks, textbooks, courses, etc. fully from within Evernote.
Overall, a nice upgrade. I hope they give some thought to the many people who suggested putting the search bar back to its previous spot and letting us have some more colour in our Evernote life.

Thanks for the job~ I've just upgrade to windows V5~ It's smooth, but I just found that I can't copy and paste a table from Microsoft word and excel! Table from MSWord become a word list in V5, and table from MSExcel become a table-like word block without line....what should I do?

I'm still loving EN5, but it just crashed on me twice in the past hour. First crash was when I was simply navigating through various notes to see what kind of related notes they bring up--it crashed when I opened a related note.  Second crash happened when I was playing around with various searches (btw, as it stands, using "any:" and not using "any:" mean the same thing when the latter is supposed to mean "all".). It just crashed when I clicked on a note in the search results. Hope these kinks get worked out soon.

Thanks!

p.s.: are we supposed to be able to edit pdf files in Skitch with the Windows client like we can on Android?

Hi Ed,

Many thanks, I had somehow missed that thread.

It is, in my opinion, a fundamental problem if Personal and Business Notebooks get mixed up. I really hope this gets sorted ASAP.

Best regards

Chris

Hi. I just want to give a quick feetback!

The new search funktion is "difficult". When you press F6, you can tipe, but there is no key that I can go back to the list. Please let ENTER get you back to the list so you can select one note like the old evernote. 

Why aren't my reminders visible when using the list view mode?

No one has this problem???

I also cannot see any reminders when using list view but they are visible in the snippet and card views. i assume this is a bug?"

I'd like to be able to select text to be highlighted, right click and left click "Highlight".  Is this possible to add?

Also, when adding a note via Outlook 2010, (32-Bit), I type in a tag and it doesn't appear....it's just blank with an "x" as if it was actually typed in.  The tags do appear as they should within the Windows Desktop Client.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

I have just spotted the same issue with Outlook 2007 - type a tag and they are invisible!

Excellent work, Windows team, with Version 5 so far. 
I have a couple of usability issues to report.
  • I believe having the shortcuts in the sidebar is a good idea.  What would be even better though, would be to also restore the ability to pin notes/saved searches to the Toolbar again.
    Here's why: Power-users tend to have a large no. of notes and/or complex notebook or tag trees.  For me (and I suspect many others) a brilliant way of working easily with that complexity was simply to drag whatever tags/saved-searches you are currently working with onto the Toolbar.  This forms a kind of 'temporary workspace' or 'virtual desktop', where you have at hand all that you need for your current work context without the distraction of everything else.  This was so useful.  Please, please, please bring this back.
  • Having the search box  a distance away form the search results  (ie. the notes list) is very awkward.  Maybe it's only power-users who will struggle with this... but the normal process of building a search query -- particularly one with complex search parameters -- is to experiment, using the feedback from eye-balling the returned notes to fine tune the search terms until you arrive at what you want. In other words, it's an iterative process where your attention (and your mouse) is on both the search query and it's results simultaneously.  This becomes incredibly difficult if the input  and output  of your interaction are in different locations.
  • Minor nit:  The rightmost scrollbar appears to be a couple of shades lighter than the leftmost scrollbar, and its lightness makes it difficult to see on a large monitor.
  • Reminders:  Could you include the Reminder related fields (isReminder, reminderChecked, reminderDate ??) in the list of fields you can select to include in the List View please.  The List View is an incredibly powerful tool to manage the meta-data of large number of notes together.  It would be shame not to maintain that.
    Finally, a question: Where can I find information on the new search terms/parameters for Reminders?
I hope this feedback is useful.  As I said, nothing but admiration for your efforts so far. Thanks again.

I'm trying it in v4.6.7, not v5.

Pressing Ctrl+Click does not do a multiselect; it just selects one tag at a time.

Are there some other conditions that are required in order for this to work?

That feature is missing in action. I appreciate all the feedback on how it is very useful to folks, especially GTD etc. I find that understanding the specific use cases & workflows to be very useful.

thanks!

EN: why would you remove a feature people are relying on? Removing this feature...does it make EN faster, better or what? So, what is the reasoning behind? Don't understand and never will.

I asked the same question in the beta thread - just can't see the rationale in removing it, similarly the way it resets the selected notebook to 'All notes' when you click a tag (same thing really, all multi-select). Does anyone know how the Mac version works?

In fact 90% of the issues on this thread were raised during the beta. I fully understand no software will be perfect and you have to release at some point, but I'm getting the feeling a release date was fixed and it was shipping regardless on that date. I was amazed to see the live release and not beta 4.

• Level 5*

EN: why would you remove a feature people are relying on? Removing this feature...does it make EN faster, better or what? So, what is the reasoning behind? Don't understand and never will.

A : Oversight and may be added back later.

B : Unable to complete before release and may be added back later.

C : Unaware that it was a critical feature for some and may be added back later.

D : Just checking to see who's paying attention. Congratulations.

E : Evernote hates Windows users.

F : Less is More.

G : That Syria thing...

H : I just washed my code and cant do a thing with it.

I : Make up your own reason!!!

Also, I've found View / Show Search Explanation, shows number of hits plus why they are hits (which notebooks have been searched, which words...)

Also, I've found View / Show Search Explanation, shows number of hits plus why they are hits (which notebooks have been searched, which words...)

Excellent find!  

This 'missing' search-criteria dropdown negates most of the pain of having the search box over on the far right for me. "Show Search Explanation"  wins the day!

I am having an issue with the latest version of V5. (5.0.0.1137) where I create a reminder, clear it, and it still shows in the Reminders list. I cannot get rid if it at all.

Anyone else experience this?

Click on settings tab at right corner of reminders bar.  You can then uncheck "show recently completed reminders".

The new evernote is impossible to use :(((

I can't select notebook and the click control (CTRL) to select tags like I did in the previous version.

I also can't select other notebook and then add tags.

THIS FUNCTIONALITY IS EVEN IN THE WEB VERSION ......

http://db.tt/JxaSdF6z  and how do you add more than one tag in this version ?

I'm sorry, but I'm a little bit p***ed. Functionality is way more important than the desing...

• Level 5*

An under-appreciated feature...

Just noticed that the note title is not always visible in V5.  It looks like it is the first line of the note.

When editing a note, I want to always see the title.  Any way to do this in V5 other than opening the note in its own window? 

I can't seem to find the "grammar and spelling" option anymore. If you click on the Edit menu there's only the spellcheck option left, which is exactly what I want to turn off. In V4 I could either click Edit -> Grammar and Spelling -> turn off or I could simply right click in any note and turn it off.

Any ideas?

The search function is not working properly.  It seems to find the notes that contain the selected words, but highlights random places on the page.  If I select a note and then search again, it will sometimes then highlight the specified word.  Is anyone else having this problem?

A search for the word "trust" resulted in the following:  http://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/8b70c0b5-f506-49e5-9aac-0325798dc08d/5101f9c0a5b4de453358ceadef86dd0b

The search function is not working properly.  It seems to find the notes that contain the selected words, but highlights random places on the page.  If I select a note and then search again, it will sometimes then highlight the specified word.  Is anyone else having this problem?

A search for the word "trust" resulted in the following:  http://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/8b70c0b5-f506-49e5-9aac-0325798dc08d/5101f9c0a5b4de453358ceadef86dd0b

Yes, I see the same thing when searching some of my notes.  It even highlights empty space.

Yes, I see the same thing when searching some of my notes.  It even highlights empty space.

I have experienced that also.  I hope someone is working on the problem.  Thanks.

Suggestion - If we have next and previous buttons. It works with alt + arrows. Why not bind it to MOUSE4 and MOUSE5 ? usually next and previous buttons for browsers.
Suggestion - I can't see reminders in list view.

Suggestion - How do you turn off the animations in the scrollbar? It slows me down as I'm used to scrolling the mouse button all the way, I have to way until the button stops, then the animation stops... And it's also buggy if used with a power scroll mouse. If anyone is interested I can make a quick video of it being buggy. (Edit - I made one right now - http://www.screenr.com/ounH)

Suggestion - custom shortcut buttons for shortcut items

Bug fix - Allow CTRL clicks for tags in sidebar.

Bug fix - http://db.tt/SIcK0F5I when I click any - the button on top to allow me to add tags - won't appear. 

I'm writing everything here because the support guy told me to copy the log which has nothing to do with any of these... Trying to be helpful.

Cheers!

To me and my usage scenario, v5 isn't a big change.

One thing I miss from v4 and one thing I expected but not seen yet.

1. I really want to have a "All notes" button in the upper left or in the top bar. I don't know how I can show all notes now.

2. I like the reminder comes to Windows desktop. Thanks to the team!  But I wanted to set a recurring reminder (like weekly, monthly, etc.). With that, I could remove another tool I'm using now.  Please consider it in the next round.

Version 5:

1. Hiding unused tags seem not to work any more. Even when I click on "Darstellung" → "Nicht zugewiesene Schlagwörter anzeigen" all tags are shown at any notebook/stack.
  2. How can I disable the search history? I don't want to see a search-history of my private notes shown in the search-box when searching in a business environment (while my colleagues watching me using evernote). Please don't make the same mistake like Google Docs and mix all notes together while searching. I need a strict separation between private and business notebooks at all places, even in the search-box.
    Maybe you make the content of the search-history depend from the settings "search all notes" / "search actual content" like the search.
    But the best way for me woud be an option to completely disable the search history.

Thanks.

Marcel.

• Level 5

Want to report another issue in V5

I am unable to edit the url for notes captured from the web --- when I click dropdown button, instead of providing option to edit, it just takes to the web page.

Fun fact.  There are ways...

If I click the drop down arrow next to the link that's visible at the top of the note after clicking on it in list view, the edit menu is available.

If you open the note and click the info icon to expose the URL, the drop down arrow doesn't work there.

However back in note view/edit mode, if you tap Alt, the formatting bar is replaced by the created date and URL.  The drop down edit menu works there too.

• Level 5

I'm sorry, but I'm a little bit p***ed. Functionality is way more important than the desing...

Oh, don't rile them by resurrecting my function vs "spackle" thread ;-)

• Level 5

Just noticed that the note title is not always visible in V5.  It looks like it is the first line of the note.

When editing a note, I want to always see the title.  Any way to do this in V5 other than opening the note in its own window? 

Think the best you can do if scrolled down editing a note is to click the "I" info button which is always visible at the top, and that has the Title in it.

• Level 5*

@dlu Can you tell me what's new since the last beta? I'm downloading GA over Beta as we speak.

In general I find the "what's new" notes when I check for updates to be opaque between betas and between beta and GA. Even a simple "diff" :-) doesn't make me feel I've got it.

It is pretty much just bugfixes. Lots of bugfixes. We resolve the issue where using the down arrow through All Notes would periodically jump you to the top of the list. We resolved a few sync issues regarding permission_denied. We made some design polish to elements align a bit more properly. At least one design thing was specific to high DPI users... We have a crashfix and cleared up with a few issues of Last Edited By not being populated properly...

DLU,

Also arrears that hitting enter to select a tag was addressed.  Thank you very much for that.  Also kudos on incorporating reminders into the windows version.  Very nice.

• Level 5

Version 5:

1. Hiding unused tags seem not to work any more. Even when I click on "Darstellung" → "Nicht zugewiesene Schlagwörter anzeigen" all tags are shown at any notebook/stack.

All tags visible in the left sidebar or the tag view when you click tags from the sidebar?

They always show on the left, but the un-used do remove from the central tag view...

I am having an issue with the latest version of V5. (5.0.0.1137) where I create a reminder, clear it, and it still shows in the Reminders list. I cannot get rid if it at all.

Anyone else experience this?

Click on settings tab at right corner of reminders bar.  You can then uncheck "show recently completed reminders".

Thanks, I did that and its still persistent. That said, I didn't mark it is done, I "Cleared" the reminder so the desired effect should be that it just goes away.

OK - you select a tag, and even though you're in a notebook, it goes to the "All notes" page.  OK, then I go to the All notes drop down to pick a particular notebook, and it clears the tag.  Why would this work this way?  And then you can't just to a multiselect for multiple tags in a particular notebook.  This is very clunky. 

Clearly no one at the EN team has used it for GTD / TSW...  :)

I absolutely hate this flat colorless look that everything is going to - Office 2013, Gmail, a bunch of others... and no way to customize it.  You get your pick of grey or white (if you get to pick anything).  HATE IT!!!

I don't mind the "announcements" section, but it would be nice to have an option instead of either having it there or not, having it show up only when there are unread items.

Overall it's not horrible, but I need multi-select tags back, and I need an easy way to just pick a particular notebook and then find tags for notes in that notebook.  So far unfortunately I don't see any reason to move to EN5.  Clicking on the "Tags" or "Notebooks" piece is completely useless, but maybe someone likes it.  And the shortcuts area is not important to me - seems very limiting.  I'd rather be able to star my notes and find them.  Reminders might be the one real add over EN4.  But otherwise I honestly don't see the benefit of the new version.  It is quicker, but it seems like that must have more to do with the back end, which could have changed without the UI changing so much.

Anyway, those are my two cents.  

Why on earth did EN "F" with a winning formula?  I fell in love with EN4 last month.   EN5 is unusable as-is for me.  Very disappointing and frustrating.  very.

Um, go back and look at the move from EN3 to 4... that was actually way more disappointing at the time.  :)  They've slowly improved 4 over time... I'm sure the same will happen with this version.  But I hope we're not forced off EN4 right away because it has some deal breakers for me right now.

OK - you select a tag, and even though you're in a notebook, it goes to the "All notes" page.  OK, then I go to the All notes drop down to pick a particular notebook, and it clears the tag.  Why would this work this way?  And then you can't just to a multiselect for multiple tags in a particular notebook.  This is very clunky. 

Clearly no one at the EN team has used it for GTD / TSW...   :)

I absolutely hate this flat colorless look that everything is going to - Office 2013, Gmail, a bunch of others... and no way to customize it.  You get your pick of grey or white (if you get to pick anything).  HATE IT!!!

I don't mind the "announcements" section, but it would be nice to have an option instead of either having it there or not, having it show up only when there are unread items.

Overall it's not horrible, but I need multi-select tags back, and I need an easy way to just pick a particular notebook and then find tags for notes in that notebook.  So far unfortunately I don't see any reason to move to EN5.  Clicking on the "Tags" or "Notebooks" piece is completely useless, but maybe someone likes it.  And the shortcuts area is not important to me - seems very limiting.  I'd rather be able to star my notes and find them.  Reminders might be the one real add over EN4.  But otherwise I honestly don't see the benefit of the new version.  It is quicker, but it seems like that must have more to do with the back end, which could have changed without the UI changing so much.

Anyway, those are my two cents.  

"I absolutely hate this flat colorless look that everything is going to - Office 2013, Gmail, a bunch of others... and no way to customize it.  You get your pick of grey or white (if you get to pick anything).  HATE IT!!!"

• Level 5*

Why aren't my reminders visible when using the list view mode?

No one has this problem???

Reminders show up in Snippet and Card views, as far as I can tell.  Not list.

• Evernote Expert

For all the users frustrated with changes on v5, some features may have been missed out and wil come back, while some won't. Change is a constant fact of life. Evernote has to do this inorder to acclomadate new features. Evolving technologies and hardware. In any case, it is not possible to satisfy all 65 million users. So, for those who want the new features will slowly have to adapt to version 5. Users who want the old interface can still stuck to v4, but I don't think that there will be any of the new features or improvements to the old version.

I am updating my database on my previous laptop. Once done I will install V5 and see if I can get on with it. 

The features are awesome, but I am concerned that mixing my Personal and Business Notebooks may prove to be a problem.

Dlu, is there any chance this will change in the future? I can sort of see why some would prefer them mixed, but am going to guess that the 'majority' would rather they stayed separate as in V4.

Best regards

Chris

How to search for notes with pdf files in V5?

I know I can't search in a pdf file without a premium account.  I just want to list my notes, by search or filter, which contain embedded pdf files.  How can this be done?

Also, I wonder what happened to the useful attribute searches that used to be at the bottom of the left column.  Any simple way to access these?

Thanks for any help.  

Joe

• Level 5*

I know I can't search in a pdf file without a premium account.  I just want to list my notes, by search or filter, which contain embedded pdf files.  How can this be done?

Also, I wonder what happened to the useful attribute searches that used to be at the bottom of the left column.  Any simple way to access these?

Thanks for any help.  

Joe

For some reason, the removed (perhaps temporarily -- who knows?) the handy UI to do advanced search. That's a little strange, since the Android client has something similar, and it's darned useful. I'd guess ou'll see it returning, though in a different guise than was in V4. Anyways, you can still do all of this, but you'll need to get savvy with the search grammar. See http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321 and http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php. To find PDF files, you would use the search term: resource:application/pdf

The new flat GUI, emphasizing large areas of gray, makes me want to keep the application window as small as possible: otherwise--when it is maximized-- the application transforms my screen into a depressing palate, an amateurish gray poster. 

Instead of using graphic elements to mark and weight the different views (left panel, note list, note panel), all views are given exactly the same (for me depressing) gray.  With extended use, I'm finding that my eyes need relief from the unrelenting fields of gray.  

Here's a question for your UI design people.  Isn't a prime responsibility of the GUI this: that it uses color and position to mark the importance and meaning of the different application views?   If so, can they really say that this GUI is meeting its responsibilities?   

Many of us have a monitor which can display a variety of colors in order to help the eye find GUI elements!  The insistence on a monochrome seems to privilege a notion of cool over practical usability and warmth, IMO.

+1

Yes, It would be nice if we could at least select different colour icons for notebooks.

I am resisting the upgrade to 5 until there is a reason for me to do so. This reason would be reminders.

I use the horizontal and vertical list views and as reminders are not available in this view yet there is no reason for me to upgrade.

Consider this a +1 on the request for reminders in the list views.

• Evernote Expert

Thanks for any help.  

Joe

Thanks for any help.  

Joe

One way you can find the notes which have embedded PDF files is by adding a unique tag to them, for e.g PDFNOTE for each of the notes that have a PDF. Then when you search for the tag PDFNOTE, all the notes having PDF attachments will be found.

• Level 5

One way you can find the notes which have embedded PDF files is by adding a unique tag to them, for e.g PDFNOTE for each of the notes that have a PDF. Then when you search for the tag PDFNOTE, all the notes having PDF attachments will be found.

That's similar to a suggestion I made for completed reminders (if I remember correctly). Shame it has to be that way but it's workable, I think.

• Level 5*

That's similar to a suggestion I made for completed reminders (if I remember correctly). Shame it has to be that way but it's workable, I think.

I think it is a lot of work to do something that can easily be accomplished with existing functions. As suggested earlier, resource:application/pdf will pull up all of your notes with PDFs in them. Put this as a "saved search" and you are all set. If you want to tag all of these at once, that would be fine, and it would be a lot easier than tagging them one by one.
  • Level 5*

resource:application/pdf is the search string you need for pdf files.

reminderOrder:* to show all notes with reminders.There is a complete list of search terms for reminders somewhere on this forum. If I recall correctly.unfortunately, though, I couldn't get some of them to work. OTOH, maybe that's just me!

• Level 5*

resource:application/pdf is the search string you need for pdf files.

reminderOrder:* to show all notes with reminders.There is a complete list of search terms for reminders somewhere on this forum. If I recall correctly.unfortunately, though, I couldn't get some of them to work. OTOH, maybe that's just me!

From spgScott's shared notebook (https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help/):

reminderDoneTime:* 

List all completed reminders.

-reminderDoneTime:*

List all incomplete reminders. Note the minus at the start of the search term.

reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1

List all reminders due today. A combination of due from today onwards, and ignoring all due tomorrow onwards

reminderTime:week -reminderTime:week+1

List all reminders due this week. Similar to the current day search.

reminderTime:day -reminderDoneTime:*

List all incomplete reminders due today.

reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:*

List all reminders without a specific due time/date set. reminderOrder is needed as without it the search will also return notes without a reminder set.

-reminderOrder:*

List all notes without a reminder.

• Level 5*

Yeah, IMO it was nicer to have the note meta data between the title and the note itself.  Suppose we will have to get used to it....

• Level 5*

To me and my usage scenario, v5 isn't a big change.

One thing I miss from v4 and one thing I expected but not seen yet.

1. I really want to have a "All notes" button in the upper left or in the top bar. I don't know how I can show all notes now.

2. I like the reminder comes to Windows desktop. Thanks to the team!  But I wanted to set a recurring reminder (like weekly, monthly, etc.). With that, I could remove another tool I'm using now.  Please consider it in the next round.

You can add an all notes icon to the toolbar.  Right click on the toolbar - Customize - move the icon where you like.

From spgScott's shared notebook (https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help/):

reminderDoneTime:* 

List all completed reminders. WORKS. 10 NOTES

List all incomplete reminders. Note the minus at the start of the search term.  LISTS ALL NOTES WITH INCOMPLETE REMINDERS + NO REMINDERS. 529 NOTES.

List all reminders due today. A combination of due from today onwards, and ignoring all due tomorrow onwards NO RESULTS - INTERPRETS THE '1' AS A SEARCH TEXT

List all reminders due this week. Similar to the current day search.NO RESULTS - INTERPRETS THE '1' AS A SEARCH TEXT

List all incomplete reminders due today. LISTS ALL NOTES WITH REMINDERS OF ANY DATE. 11 NOTES

List all reminders without a specific due time/date set. reminderOrder is needed as without it the search will also return notes without a reminder set. THINK IT WORKS, HAD ONE BUT CAN'T SET REMINDER WITH NO TIME

-reminderOrder:*

List all notes without a reminder. WORKS. 516 NOTES

I posted a few pages back the syntax is buggy or has been implemented differently.

I have 539 notes in total. 2 reminders set to today (I had an email from Evernote with them both in so they're set correctly). 1 I've completed, the other still has reminder set to today. I haven't tried all of them in the Web interface but the one in my previous post did work, and behave differently from Windows.

Results added inline above.

So, these are my search suggestions.

I haven't really tested the search terms just yet but your post has shown me I have got at least one wrong :P

Will list basically all note without a "Done" reminder (including note without a reminder at all)

I will test them some more and update the list :)

Scott

• Level 5

Is there a way to have a shortcut for copying the note link? 

[Not the URL, the evernote:// link]

It would seem not. +1 from me on that.  Also, we can customize the toolbar to have a Copy Note URL button, and I think we should have one for the Note Link (especially since the Copy Note URL was already exposed in the Toolbar Share button)

Ok, so I tested the ones listed here and found them to still be a little buggy. Some showed notes where they shouldn't and some failed...

Lists all notes, except completed ones. Need to add reminderOrder:* (My error here :P)

Shows incorrectly - ignores day+1

Same as above.

Buggy. Doesn't seem to work correctly, listing the wrong notes.

Doesn't list all reminders without a specified date for me.

I *think* the different search terms are working alone, but when combining them I see issues.

In fact, is it just reminderTime that is failing to work correctly? I have to test some more

Installed onto another computer as mentioned.

Yes, all of my Notebooks got mixed up, there is no way of knowing which is Shared (from others), Personal and Business. So I moved all of my Personal Notebooks move into Stacks with the title beginning with 'A - xxxxx'.

All the Shared Notebooks - that are not mine - into a Stack called 'Shared - Not Mine' and all the Business Notebooks in Stacks starting with 'SWI - xxxx'

So they are all now in order!

But it seems a bit daft not having any designation as to what is someone else's Shared Notebook, or even which of mine is a Shared Notebook. I will have to put my Shared Notebooks under another Stack indicating same.

Off out, but will have more of a play tomorrow. Oh and will read how all of you lot have got on.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Installed onto another computer as mentioned.

Yes, all of my Notebooks got mixed up, there is no way of knowing which is Shared (from others), Personal and Business. So I moved all of my Personal Notebooks move into Stacks with the title beginning with 'A - xxxxx'.

All the Shared Notebooks - that are not mine - into a Stack called 'Shared - Not Mine' and all the Business Notebooks in Stacks starting with 'SWI - xxxx'

So they are all now in order!

But it seems a bit daft not having any designation as to what is someone else's Shared Notebook, or even which of mine is a Shared Notebook. I will have to put my Shared Notebooks under another Stack indicating same.

Off out, but will have more of a play tomorrow. Oh and will read how all of you lot have got on.

Regards

Chris

Yep. It is possible to order the notebooks using a prefix (maybe O=owned, S=Shared, J=Joined, and B=Business) and this is a useful workaround!

However, in my opinion, it is not terribly user friendly. In the case of a business, I guess you could instruct your employees about proper naming practices, but why should you have to? In the case of an individual, I guess you could contact everyone whose notebook you have joined and ask them to change their notebook names, but why should you have to? Naturally, you can stick all of these notebooks into stacks with those names, and that kind of works (assuming you don't have any stacks yourself, in which case it is a mess again). And, it also assumes you won't use any other device, because the stacks are not carried over into them. In short, it is a very manual, labor-intensive process.

Is it a big deal for me? I guess not. I only have two notebooks at the moment (local and online) in my main account. I have a totally separate account for sharing, and splitting things up this way works for me. I don't think Evernote expects users to make separate accounts for public and private matters (otherwise, why bother merging all of this in the first place?), so I think there is more work to be done.

In my sharing account, it looks like a grenade went off inside of it, with random tags all over the place like shrapnel (who knows who made them, where they belong, or even what they mean?), stacks that are all messed up (business notebooks won't stay in the stacks when I view them on the iPad), and notebooks with similar names. It's not pretty, and frankly, because of all the other issues I have mentioned in this thread (see earlier posts), it wouldn't be very easy for me to work there.

This is all old stuff, though. I've been saying this for a year now. My guess is that the Evernote developers are smart folks (they seem pretty sharp to me), and they have reasons for this, but I just haven't heard them. I'm cool with no roadmaps, but I would be curious about the rationale.

I'm also going to miss the favorites bar. It was nice to have the most used Saved Searches pinned up there, or may be a notebook or tag where it was one click away.

I notice though that saved searches show clearly in the search bar now.  Hit Win-Shft-F and see all your saved searches.  Its still not single click though.

Got to agree Grumpy, I have sorted a workaround, but feel it should not be necessary. I would so prefer to have the separation I had previously. But it is going to keep me going until we get back to some sort of sanity.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5

I notice though that saved searches show clearly in the search bar now.  Hit Win-Shft-F and see all your saved searches.  Its still not single click though.

Ok, so make it one click.

• Click into the search bar to expose the saved searches.
  • Click and drag the desired saved search over and drop it to the diresired spot on the list of Shortcuts in the left sidebar.

Voila.  One click saved search.

Hi Everyone, 

I read most of the pages of this thread and did not see mention of the issue I am having with the windows 5 product. I use evernote with GTD and used to be able to select a notebook (inbox) and then a tag (!!Today) and get those notes. I might be doing something stupid, but I can't select a notebook and a tag for within that notebook.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dean

• Level 5

Hi Everyone, 

I read most of the pages of this thread and did not see mention of the issue I am having with the windows 5 product. I use evernote with GTD and used to be able to select a notebook (inbox) and then a tag (!!Today) and get those notes. I might be doing something stupid, but I can't select a notebook and a tag for within that notebook.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dean

I think you're right.

It's been quite a while since I've done that though.

It's only one click for me to click on a saved search that looks for (using your example):

notebook:inbox tag:!!Today

Something else you can do is click the down arrow next to the magnifying glass in the search box, and set it to current context rather than all notes.

Then you can click on a notebook, and type in the search field: tag:!!*   (assuming you have no other tags starting with !!)

• Level 5*

Hi Everyone, 

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dean

Beyond what cwb said, if this is something that you do a lot, then you should make a saved search out of it, and add it to your shortcuts.

Hi dlu, 

I would like to add some comments about "Jump to Notebook" and "Jump to Tag".  (You can see full text at here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41617-why-did-you-remove-dropdown-boxes-for-filtering-notebook-tag-or-search-in-windows-evernote-v5/)

Their workflows seems different when I use them, I think it is a little strange.

"Jump to Notebook" is like a shortcut to filter notebook. 

BUT "Jump to Tag" is more like a switch to switch on / off tag filter.

In my view, for the meaning of "Jump to ", it's good to be seen as a shortcut to filter notebook or tag. 

I though it would be more elegant, wouldn't it? 

Hi Everyone, 

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dean

Beyond what cwb said, if this is something that you do a lot, then you should make a saved search out of it, and add it to your shortcuts.

This isn't a really good workaround - It's part of what makes the IPad / other mobile versions clunky in my opinion.  I can make saved searches, but sometimes I want to select a particular notebook, with a particular tag.  However, many times I want to select multiple tags.  Or I want to select from several different notebooks with these tags.  I pick these things very dynamically - in order to get what I'd want, I need like 20-30 different saved searches.  It doesn't work nearly as well as multi-select.  And I want to select tags for a certain notebook ALL THE TIME.  And then keep those same tags, but look at a different notebook.  None of this functionality works as I need it to in v5 now.

Hi Dlu,

I really do not like the mixing of Notebooks, but my method of naming Stacks seems to be working. I am of the belief as a lot of you will know from past postings, that you work within the limitations of the software you are using. Of course we should ask for changes, but I have already solved my own biggest problem. I have always scrolled up and down my list of Notebooks to get to the one I need to work on. Now I have that functionality back with V5.

But it has occurred to me that another solution that has been asked for many times is having multiple levels of Stacking. This way you could easily put the various categories under a new Stack heading.

Personal

Chris's Photography

Camera Club

Emails

Family

Wife

Daughter

Business

SWI 

Quotes 2013

Emails

Etc.

Any chance of this happening Dlu?

Best regards

Chris

As with others I would still prefer to see Shortcuts be capable of being dragged onto the Toolbar. It would be great if you could do this within the the 'Customize Toolbar' facility.

The way I work is scrolling to less used Notebooks, but will often need to get back to my 'Diary - 2013' very quickly when I want to type notes. The current method of scrolling to the 'Shortcuts' menu on the left is a bit of hindrance.

Best regards

Chris

Unfortunately the client seems to be not very stable... it is crashing for me several times a day. After restarting I don't get the option to send a feedback about the crash to evernote. Didn't figure out yet when a crash occurs and cannot replicate the crash. I'm on Windows 8 64-bit.

Version 5:

All tags visible in the left sidebar or the tag view when you click tags from the sidebar?

They always show on the left, but the un-used do remove from the central tag view...

All tags are always visible in the left sidebar AND in the central tag view. Why do you ask this? You can simply test it yourself.

Archived