Windows V5 Discussion

dlu

Please post your feedback about the new Windows V5. Thanks to all the beta users who have been helping us out. We still have lots to do and look forward to hearing from everyone.

cheers!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys did a tremendous job. Thanks, dlu!

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Hi, first time posting.  Just wanted to say "thank you" for EN5. I upgraded last night. Apart from a couple of crashes (probably due to the reindexing process, I suspect) and an issue with setting changes not sticking (which seems to have gotten fixed by completely exiting and logging in again), I am very happy with this update.  Reminders and highlighting are huge pluses for me.  So far my transition has been smooth. I appreciate what you do and hope you keep up the great work.  Also, thanks to the beta testers for helping to tighten up this release of EN.  I'm sure there's still bugs due to its infancy, but I'm already quite pleased. Cheers!

-Bryan

I'd like to be able to select text to be highlighted, right click and left click "Highlight".  Is this possible to add?

Also, when adding a note via Outlook 2010, (32-Bit), I type in a tag and it doesn't appear....it's just blank with an "x" as if it was actually typed in.  The tags do appear as they should within the Windows Desktop Client.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

Thank you so much for Evernote!  

So far, I like the V5 interface with a few exceptions -- I have been a heavy user of the left pane links for organization and I am not liking the way they now integrate my own personal notebooks and tags with Shared notebooks and other peoples' annoying tag systems.  My preferred tagging method is to drap & drop my notes onto the tags in the left pane, but now everyone's tags in my Shared notebooks are cluttering up my nice list of personal organized tags!  Also, clicking on "Notes" is now defaulting to All Notebooks.  I  would like this to default to My Notes only and have the Tags show only MY tags!  Is there a way to do this?  

Thanks so much again.  I like the new clean interface otherwise and thanks for Reminders & highlighting in the Windows version!

Thanks dlu for your efforts and your team. Has the official release of v5 now happened ?

I am assuming so, I can see this when checking for an update:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/1c07db6d-7e43-4a88-a4c0-91b5beaf3cf2/fa1f295ebf56dda9b96ea8cb24aaadb6

Yes, if you're a beta user, you'll see the auto update prompt as spg SCOTT has shown. We're going to prompt non-beta users later on. We wanted to give them a chance to read about the update before being prompted to update

RobD, check the "Style" section of the right click menu, or Ctrl + Shift + H.

Thanks that helps but I think it would make more sense to have a frequently used function like the Highlighter available from the immediate right click menu. 

Nice job with the new UI. I like how clean and fast it is. Thank you for bringing reminders and related notes to the Windows version.

Some comments:

1. I liked to be able to put my shortcuts on the toolbar. Can that still be done?
  2. I sort and resort notes a lot. V4 allowed me to do that in one click via a dropdown. V5 requires an extra step. Can that be fixed?
  3. When a note is in edit mode and I click on "Click to add tag..." the edit toolbar disappears and the Created and Updated dates appear, then I have to click on "Click to add tag..." again.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update.

Highlighter is very useful

But I find many useful features missing:

1. The shortcut bar at the top - it was very handy --- dont like the ways its now. The new method can be additional, but shortcut was really very useful.

2. The thumbnails are gone - and I am unable to make out the note just by looking at the thumbnails - really miss them. Earlier I could just glean through - but I have to read through, or get idea from image.

3. The new cards are too big. On my laptop with left panel removed, and note window reduced - I can just see 6 card.

Thanks 

Vikram

I REALLY don't like the location of the Search Bar.  It also cuts off my Toolbar shortcuts.  Very annoying and makes me have to click more.  Less clicks = better please.

I have found that closing Evernote and reopening it again sorts the sizing in the toolbar. Try Exiting via File -> Exit and opening EN again.

I believe that there is a fixed minimum size limit though, so it wont be shrunk to nothing if you add too many things.

I REALLY don't like the location of the Search Bar.  It also cuts off my Toolbar shortcuts.  Very annoying and makes me have to click more.  Less clicks = better please.

I have found that closing Evernote and reopening it again sorts the sizing in the toolbar. Try Exiting via File -> Exit and opening EN again.

I believe that there is a fixed minimum size limit though, so it wont be shrunk to nothing if you add too many things.

Thanks that did fix the cutoff but I preferred the location of the Search Bar in v4.  Why was it moved?  It used to be in a very natural place......for me anyway, lol.  V5 is noticeably speedier which is good.

• Level 5

Thanks dlu for your efforts and your team. Has the official release of v5 now happened ?

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/1c07db6d-7e43-4a88-a4c0-91b5beaf3cf2/fa1f295ebf56dda9b96ea8cb24aaadb6

Yes, if you're a beta user, you'll see the auto update prompt as spg SCOTT has shown. We're going to prompt non-beta users later on. We wanted to give them a chance to read about the update before being prompted to update

I wouldn't wait too long though.  At the moment it will be counter intuitive for them to read it, click through the link to "Tips for updating to Evernote 5 for Windows Desktop"

After becoming "informed" and reading "Note: Until official launch, only users who enable their application options to "Update to pre-release versions when available" will get the update."

They'll find and click that box in Options, then check for updates....

and nothing.  

Nothing at all.

I think the surprise barrier you're looking for is already in the product with that Options checkbox.

Not sure why you want to put up another one, non-user controlled, after reving them up.

[in the land of unicorns, Marketing and Development are a single choreographed department]

• Level 5

@dlu Can you tell me what's new since the last beta? I'm downloading GA over Beta as we speak.

In general I find the "what's new" notes when I check for updates to be opaque between betas and between beta and GA. Even a simple "diff" :-) doesn't make me feel I've got it.

I wouldn't wait too long though.  At the moment it will be counter intuitive for them to read it, click through the link to "Tips for updating to Evernote 5 for Windows Desktop"

After becoming "informed" and reading "Note: Until official launch, only users who enable their application options to "Update to pre-release versions when available" will get the update."

They'll find and click that box in Options, then check for updates....

and nothing.  

Nothing at all.

I think the surprise barrier you're looking for is already in the product with that Options checkbox.

Not sure why you want to put up another one, non-user controlled, after reving them up.

[in the land of unicorns, Marketing and Development are a single choreographed department]

If they click Update to prereleases and check for updates they should get it. You can also go download from our website and that will do a manual upgrade

@dlu Can you tell me what's new since the last beta? I'm downloading GA over Beta as we speak.

In general I find the "what's new" notes when I check for updates to be opaque between betas and between beta and GA. Even a simple "diff" :-) doesn't make me feel I've got it.

It is pretty much just bugfixes. Lots of bugfixes. We resolve the issue where using the down arrow through All Notes would periodically jump you to the top of the list. We resolved a few sync issues regarding permission_denied. We made some design polish to elements align a bit more properly. At least one design thing was specific to high DPI users... We have a crashfix and cleared up with a few issues of Last Edited By not being populated properly...

Like most major updates, I like some things, but not others. I'll give it time before I say too much, but I do have one major problem (perhaps bug.)

When I have the search box set for "Search All Notes" but have a notebook selected - it only searches the notebook.

I assume that it should only search the notebook when I have it set to "Search Current Context"

Am I doing something wrong?, or do I misunderstand how the search box is not intended to work?

• Level 5

Thanks @dlu.

What do you think about doing the "what's changed" a little differently - to clarify the changes in each beta and beta vs GA? Can't ask you for a commitment on it right now but please take the feedback on board. Thanks!

(I accept there's a counterargument that non-beta users don't care about changes between betas but I think it helps those of us who are beta'ing figure out what we ought to look for as changed.)

Thanks @dlu.

What do you think about doing the "what's changed" a little differently - to clarify the changes in each beta and beta vs GA? Can't ask you for a commitment on it right now but please take the feedback on board. Thanks!

(I accept there's a counterargument that non-beta users don't care about changes between betas but I think it helps those of us who are beta'ing figure out what we ought to look for as changed.)

Yeah, lemme think about a good way to balance the two. The GA's I tend to skip over the betas, since a lot of our users don't subscribe to them, they probably only care about what is new to them... what got fixed or added since the last beta is probably more confusing than anything.

Perhaps I'll try to do something for beta users in the forum post?

Like most major updates, I like some things, but not others. I'll give it time before I say too much, but I do have one major problem (perhaps bug.)

When I have the search box set for "Search All Notes" but have a notebook selected - it only searches the notebook.

I assume that it should only search the notebook when I have it set to "Search Current Context"

Am I doing something wrong?, or do I misunderstand how the search box is not intended to work?

That sounds like a bug. Let me check on it

• Level 5*

There's a query in another thread about how to go back to V4 if V5 isn't cutting it for some people - is it still the case (if I remember correctly) that just reinstalling V4 will not have a happy result?  Any suggestions for someone wanting a risk free try-out of the new features?  (Apart from install a separate copy of the free one and play for a while...)

In 4 you used to be able to multiselect two tags and then change folders (in List view) while keeping the tag selection in place.

So if I have an Action Pending folder and I want to see which notes in that folder share the tags "Work" and "Now", I can't do it.

If I select the tags first, they are deselected when I switch folders.

If I select the folder first, and then select the tags by using Ctrl+click, then the folder is set back to All Folders.

This is a HUGE problem.

Pretty sure he GTD community will miss this.

Was this done on purpose? 

If so I don't understand why such a seemingly simple bit of UI convenience would be tossed out.

I used the beta when it first came out but had to move back to the general release mainly because you can't multi select tags - and its still not fixed.

you can't control click or shift click any of the tags.

I like my tags to be nested in a hierarchical way as there is no way to do that in Evernote automatically I nest my tags and select all the tags and make sure that the all have the Parent tag.(selecting 'Any' for the search term)

That functionality has been removed you can't multi-select tags.

There does appear to be a clumsy manual way of doing it by using the select by tag filter but you have to type all your tags in - not great if you lots of subordinate tags. 

The new flat GUI, emphasizing large areas of gray, makes me want to keep the application window as small as possible: otherwise--when it is maximized-- the application transforms my screen into a depressing palate, an amateurish gray poster. 

Instead of using graphic elements to mark and weight the different views (left panel, note list, note panel), all views are given exactly the same (for me depressing) gray.  With extended use, I'm finding that my eyes need relief from the unrelenting fields of gray.  

Here's a question for your UI design people.  Isn't a prime responsibility of the GUI this: that it uses color and position to mark the importance and meaning of the different application views?   If so, can they really say that this GUI is meeting its responsibilities?   

Many of us have a monitor which can display a variety of colors in order to help the eye find GUI elements!  The insistence on a monochrome seems to privilege a notion of cool over practical usability and warmth, IMO.

Should shortcuts sync with Evernote 5 for Windows?  My shortcuts sync between iOS and Android Evernote apps, but the Evernote 5 Windows shortcuts are empty.

It should, if they don't could you PM me with activity logs?

I'm going to miss the Favorites bar. Not a big fan of 

I used the beta when it first came out but had to move back to the general release mainly because you can't multi select tags - and its still not fixed.

you can't control click or shift click any of the tags.

I like my tags to be nested in a hierarchical way as there is no way to do that in Evernote automatically I nest my tags and select all the tags and make sure that the all have the Parent tag.(selecting 'Any' for the search term)

That functionality has been removed you can't multi-select tags.

There does appear to be a clumsy manual way of doing it by using the select by tag filter but you have to type all your tags in - not great if you lots of subordinate tags. 

Yes I agree and posted something to this effect but didn't point out the hierarchical part of it. Thanks for posting that.

• Level 5

I'm also going to miss the favorites bar. It was nice to have the most used Saved Searches pinned up there, or may be a notebook or tag where it was one click away

You now have the Shortcuts in the left column that you can drag saved searches into.

Mine are there and still one click away.

Or with two clicks, the saved searches are there after clicking in the search box.

• Level 5

In 4 you used to be able to multiselect two tags and then change folders (in List view) while keeping the tag selection in place.

So if I have an Action Pending folder and I want to see which notes in that folder share the tags "Work" and "Now", I can't do it.

There's indeed going to be some new neuron pathways to burn to do the same things.

I'm not sure visibility has taken a hit.  I have yet to decide if tag management is net better or worse.  I'm on the fence still (having lived in v5 on the mac side for a while).

Just wanted to make sure you're making use of searches like:

notebook:"Action Pending" tag:"Work" tag:"Now"

Showing you that "folder" with items having both tags.

• Level 5

You should still have a Conflicting Changes notebook if you expand the notebook list in the left side panel.

I had cleared the notebook of conflicts before upgrading, but the (empty) folder persists post upgrade. (You can delete it and it comes back when needed on the next conflict).

It just doesn't pop out like in v4 since its the same colour as all of your notebooks and doesn't have the system iconography it did in v4.

There's indeed going to be some new neuron pathways to burn to do the same things.

I'm not sure visibility has taken a hit.  I have yet to decide if tag management is net better or worse.  I'm on the fence still (having lived in v5 on the mac side for a while).

Yes I figured that out but it's way, way slower for me to create that search now than when I could just hold down Ctrl and click on the tag in the hierarchy I have them.

Nice job with the new UI. I like how clean and fast it is. Thank you for bringing reminders and related notes to the Windows version.

Some comments:

1. I liked to be able to put my shortcuts on the toolbar. Can that still be done?
  2. I sort and resort notes a lot. V4 allowed me to do that in one click via a dropdown. V5 requires an extra step. Can that be fixed?
  3. When a note is in edit mode and I click on "Click to add tag..." the edit toolbar disappears and the Created and Updated dates appear, then I have to click on "Click to add tag..." again.

Thanks!

You have to right click on your saved searches (and you get to them by clicking in the search windows when there's nothing in there), and then select "add to Shortcuts". After that you'll have your saved search available in Shorcuts in the left pane.

You should still have a Conflicting Changes notebook if you expand the notebook list in the left side panel.

I had cleared the notebook of conflicts before upgrading, but the (empty) folder persists post upgrade. (You can delete it and it comes back when needed on the next conflict).

It just doesn't pop out like in v4 since its the same colour as all of your notebooks and doesn't have the system iconography it did in v4.

Can't see it in the list, and I hadn't cleared the conflicts. I'll see when I get on a machine that I still have v4 running on.

Also, when adding a note via Outlook 2010, I type in a tag and it doesn't appear....it's just blank with an "x" as if it was actually typed in.  The tags do appear as they should within the Desktop Client.

Capture_zps889077b3.jpg

I have this exact issue as well. Not sure how widespread it is, but it's definitely worth fixing if they can. Also, +1 on "I miss the shortcuts bar". 

Otherwise I really like the look and feel. The beta had me worried about "look and feel" but the release tidied things up nicely (i.e. not using all CAPS on the menu items). 

All in all it looks good so far. 

• Level 5*

I went back to V4; The Search Bar being moved way over to the right side was reason enough...I have a 27" LCD and that's a lot of mouse movement.

I don't care for the location of the search control either (whined bitterly several times in the beta threads), but F6 puts you over there, with no mouse movement required.

• Level 5*

Should shortcuts sync with Evernote 5 for Windows?  My shortcuts sync between iOS and Android Evernote apps, but the Evernote 5 Windows shortcuts are empty.

They should -- you should check that they're set up to: there's a "Synchronize Shortcuts" checkbox under Tools / Options / Sync / that you should make sure is checked.

• Level 5

Yes I figured that out but it's way, way slower for me to create that search now than when I could just hold down Ctrl and click on the tag in the hierarchy I have them.

But isn't it quicker to create the search once, save it, put it in the shortcuts, and then it's only one click away wherever you are, rather than Find the tags, Ctrl click click.

• Level 5

I went back to V4; The Search Bar being moved way over to the right side was reason enough...I have a 27" LCD and that's a lot of mouse movement.

I don't care for the location of the search control either (whined bitterly several times in the beta threads), but F6 puts you over there, with no mouse movement required.

Hard to visualize that. On my 24", "over there" is virtually the entire right side of the monitor, where-as before it was just a little box in the Center. I've may lost a couple inches to the left, but I've gained more on the right. And since that's where I'm typing, mousing and clicking formatting controls anyway, I'm only mousing straight up 1 inch to click in the search.

Hard to visualize that. On my 24", "over there" is virtually the entire right side of the monitor, where-as before it was just a little box in the Center. I've may lost a couple inches to the left, but I've gained more on the right. And since that's where I'm typing, mousing and clicking formatting controls anyway, I'm only mousing straight up 1 inch to click in the search.

Makes sense.  I find my mouse residing more on the left and middle, hence, it was easier for me to use the v4 Search Bar.

• Level 5*

My take on it was this: the search control directly modifies the note list, and for those of us who use snippet or card view, it's wholly disconnected from the UI element that it's most closely tied to. Still doesn't make sense to me. I search to find a small range of notes that I can pick from. This arrangement doesn't work for me.

Regardless, F6 puts you into the search control, as it did formerly.

My take on it was this: the search control directly modifies the note list, and for those of us who use snippet or card view, it's wholly disconnected from the UI element that it's most closely tied to. Still doesn't make sense to me. I search to find a small range of notes that I can pick from. This arrangement doesn't work for me.

F6 is a great tip, thx - BUT - it's just another example of adding keyboard strokes or mouse clicks on to V5 when it wasn't necessary in V4.  It was a simple mouse "up".  Less = more.  It's a step backwards for me.

• Level 5

That makes a lot of sense, but for one area.  The saved searches used to be down the left panel (separate from the search field) and modifying the center list of notes.

Now that saved searches are IN the search field, the drop down would cover up the note list in the center, if the field was still at the top of the note list.

Instead, when I click the field for a saved search it drops down and covers up the current note (totally fine), and not the list of notes it's about to modify when I click it.

So the note list and the saved search list are still adjacent to one another, it's just flipped sides.

• Level 5*

That makes a lot of sense, but for one area.  The saved searches used to be down the left panel (separate from the search field) and modifying the center list of notes.

Now that saved searches are IN the search field, the drop down would cover up the note list in the center, if the field was still at the top of the note list.

Instead, when I click the field for a saved search it drops down and covers up the current note (totally fine), and not the list of notes it's about to modify when I click it.

So the note list and the saved search list are still adjacent to one another, it's just flipped sides.

Usability-wise, that wouldn't bother me: the note list is the product of a saved search, and the saved search goes away once you've executed it, so no conflict. I can't say that I'm totally sold on the auto-dropdown of saved and recent searches, though -- often I just want to type in an ad hoc search, and the dropdown is a little distracting, but I need to exercise that one a little more.

The fact that I need to move my focus from the search control over to the note list is the awkward bit. I look at the list -- nope, it's not what I want, gotta narrow it down... over to the search control, type a search or pick one... back to the note list, can't find what I wanted, lather rinse repeat. As opposed to V4-style, where it was all right there, and even saved searches were very close by (I generally keep my tag tree closed).

As it is, I am thankful that they kept the search explanation control, which I've found useful for a long time, in trying to figure out what Evernote thinks that the search it (there was some talk that they might ditch it). Unfortunately, it's received a couple teeth-grinding regressions that make it a lot less useful than it was in fine-tuning a search: clearing a tag can sometimes take out multiple tags that you didn't click on (love those intermittent bugs), and worse -- changing notebook/stack context blows away any tags you may have had before.

• Level 5*

F6 is a great tip, thx - BUT - it's just another example of adding keyboard strokes or mouse clicks on to V5 when it wasn't necessary in V4.  It was a simple mouse "up".  Less = more.  It's a step backwards for me.
Perhaps not necessary for you, but many people use keyboards as exclusively as possible; keyboard shortcuts are a boon to them. A simple mouse up from where? The mouse pointer could be anywhere in the UI. But F6 is F6, always in the same spot, always doing the same thing : put you in the search control, and clear it out so that you can enter a new one. Less may be more sometimes, but consistency is an important factor, too.
  • Level 5*

It's only a large mouse movement if you have a big screen. I don't. On the one large monitor I have I keep the window smaller, so that the mouse movement is not great. I use Dragon a lot, and it is easier to say Press-F6 than to move the mouse ... From what I see, EN will NEVER be able to please everyone. We just have to learn to work with what we are given. At least the EN devs are much more responsive than the makers of that almost ubiquitous (in the business world) word-processing program ...

Ditto on this issue.

This was the first thing I noticed when I upgraded to v5.  I frequently use the search bar and having right on top of the notes made it easy to see what I was getting as I was typing.  I also have a 27" monitor and its just too far to the right.  Also liked the Favorites bar where it was but not a big deal compared to the search bar.

My issue is less mouse movements but more seeing the notes returned as I type.  Having the bar right above the results makes more sense than having the bar all the way to the right as I'm trying to narrow my results down.  I have a lot of technical doc in Evernote including PDF manuals, forum posts, email threads, etc tag by product version, platform, source, customer, etc.

Just noticed you can't change the notebook you are looking at or go from All Notes to a notebook or vice versa without your search options being wiped.  For example, I used to be able to type tag:<value>, get a list of notes back, go from All Notes/Notebooks to a specific notebook while still looking for just that tag.  In v5, changing the notebook selection now resets any search criteria.

• Level 5*

No offense to EN but at this point, V5 functions more like a Beta than an official release. I have to ask myself, "Whatvthe hell were they thinking?"

Could you be more specific?

I am also not a fan of the current search field placement. In fact (as you might have read in earlier posts), I am pretty strongly opinionated about it! However, I don't think moving it there is sufficient to make this seem like a beta. Rather, it seems like a design choice I don't agree with. It isn't especially clumsy there (no more than the Mac version) or anything like that.

Besides the search field, are there elements about the release that you had in mind?

No offense to EN but at this point, V5 functions more like a Beta than an official release. I have to ask myself, "Whatvthe hell were they thinking?"

Could you be more specific?I am also not a fan of the current search field placement. In fact (as you might have read in earlier posts), I am pretty strongly opinionated about it! However, I don't think moving it there is sufficient to make this seem like a beta. Rather, it seems like a design choice I don't agree with. It isn't especially clumsy there (no more than the Mac version) or anything like that.Besides the search field, are there elements about the release that you had in mind?

Search field placement

Glitch/bug in Outlook tagging (tags don't appear in OL)

I prefer more color, not less

There are other nagging items but I'm honestly too tired to think of them, lol. More tomorrow. Peace all.

• Level 5*

Could you be more specific?I am also not a fan of the current search field placement. In fact (as you might have read in earlier posts), I am pretty strongly opinionated about it! However, I don't think moving it there is sufficient to make this seem like a beta. Rather, it seems like a design choice I don't agree with. It isn't especially clumsy there (no more than the Mac version) or anything like that.Besides the search field, are there elements about the release that you had in mind?

Search field placement

Glitch/bug in Outlook tagging (tags don't appear in OL)

I prefer more color, not less

There are other nagging items but I'm honestly too tired to think of them, lol. More tomorrow. Peace all.

Well, that is a good start. Get some rest, dream gray dreams, and come back to us with more!

Personally, I'll throw this out there again (I guess I never tire of it!), but why not have customizability? Would it ruin the interface to let users designate the colors they want to see on their notebooks? Or, to find some other way to visually customize it to their particular use case? I don't think so! I am open to being convinced by the developers that gray is the way (personally, I like it), but until then, I will have to repeat my mantra: customizability please :) After all, there are an endless variety of use cases, and surely some of them would benefit from colors.

• Level 5

Why was the "Search Bar" moved to the top right hand corner?  I preferred it where it was located in V4.  Thanks.

Amen. This is so much harder to use now. It may seem like a small detail, but those of us with large screens (24"+) it's made the most fundamental feature of EN (search) much more tedious. Now I have to physically turn my head back and forth as I'm typing a search and then watching the results appear. Really annoying and fairly obvious that EN did very little actual UX testing on this. Please change it back or make that element of the UI customizable so we can put the search bar where we want it.

• Level 5*

Why was the "Search Bar" moved to the top right hand corner?  I preferred it where it was located in V4.  Thanks.

Amen. This is so much harder to use now. It may seem like a small detail, but those of us with large screens (24"+) it's made the most fundamental feature of EN (search) much more tedious. Now I have to physically turn my head back and forth as I'm typing a search and then watching the results appear. Really annoying and fairly obvious that EN did very little actual UX testing on this. Please change it back or make that element of the UI customizable so we can put the search bar where we want it.

I imagine a lot of testing went into it. I mean, there was a lot of beta testing and the Mac version has been out for a year with essentially the same search bar (and for years before with the same placement, if I recall correctly). I don't like it, and I've always preferred the placement of the Windows search field myself, but I think a lot of users have had their hands on this.

Instead, I would say that we (those of us who want the customizable search field or a different placement) haven't been persuasive enough in our arguments. Or, perhaps there simply isn't any way to move it while also including some of the new features that involve a dropdown.

What if we could float the search bar off the UI entirely? I think that would be great. Then, I could close the toolbar (I never use it anyhow) and conserve a bit of space while having access to the search (on the Mac, at least, closing the toolbar takes away your ability to search).

• Level 5

Having the bar right above the results makes more sense than having the bar all the way to the right as I'm trying to narrow my results down.

Again, this confounds me.  Having the bar right above the results OBSCURES them.  As soon as I click into the search field if drops 3/4 of the way down my 1600x900 display.  And doesn't get much shorter as I type and it matches possible search queries.  I wouldn't see any of my results if it wasn't next to rather than on top of the note list.

Remember that you don't just click a search and it goes away.  As you type, both the contents of the drop down refine, as well as the resulting note list.

Saved searches have always been adjacent to the note list.  Now that they're IN the search box, so must the search box be adjacent to the note list.  Or sure, Gumpy, tear it off and float it I guess.  Note sure that's the Metro-esque way of things they're going for though.

• Level 5*

Having the bar right above the results makes more sense than having the bar all the way to the right as I'm trying to narrow my results down.

Again, this confounds me.  Having the bar right above the results OBSCURES them.  As soon as I click into the search field if drops 3/4 of the way down my 1600x900 display.  And doesn't get much shorter as I type and it matches possible search queries.  I wouldn't see any of my results if it wasn't next to rather than on top of the note list.

Saved searches have always been adjacent to the note list.  Now that they're IN the search box, so must the search box be adjacent to the note list.  Or sure, Gumpy, tear it off and float it I guess.  Note sure that's the Metro-esque way of things they're going for though.

I don't know if it is Metroesque or not, but it would solve my problems!

Currently, the search obscures my note content, so I'm not too keen on that. It's not a big deal, but as I personally derive no value from the dropdown, it is an unwanted intrusion. Another alternative would be to let us turn off these features when the search bar is over the note list. I can see why the developers did what they did, and I've put up with it on the Mac for years, so I can live with it. That doesn't mean I have to like it, though!

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the UI. My quibbles concern other things.

• Level 5

You have to right click on your saved searches (and you get to them by clicking in the search windows when there's nothing in there), and then select "add to Shortcuts". After that you'll have your saved search available in Shorcuts in the left pane.

Or just click into the search box and drag a saved search out and drop it into the position you want in the Shortcuts.

Pretty nice work since first beta on Evernote 5 final. Thanks.

Question. I like the Atlas feature. But is there a way to manually add point on the map to be attached to the particular note. So when I click on it, it goes to the atlas map. Thanks.

Having trouble with the reminder search syntax - it's either implemented differently in Windows, buggy, or I just don't get it! I'm going off various forum posts because I can't find an official guide to the syntax.

This works ok to find all notes with incomplete reminders:   reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

I want to find notes with reminders for today and am trying: reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1 

• On the Web interface this works and returns one result
  • In Windows the search summary returns no results and shows: Viewing 0 notes from All Notebooks matching All of the following: contains words starting with 1 with advanced filters reminderTime:day and none of the following: with advanced filters -reminderTime:day

It doesn't look to be parsing the date parameters correctly.

If I select the tags first, they are deselected when I switch folders.

If I select the folder first, and then select the tags by using Ctrl+click, then the folder is set back to All Folders.

This is a HUGE problem.

Pretty sure he GTD community will miss this.

I have also a problem with this. It is not clear for me, why a CTRL-Click is not possible anymore, even when it is a common feature on the underlying operating system. I use this filter method a lot.

The manual filtering on the filter bar on top of the listing is too slow to work effectively.

Plus, i miss the favorite bar. I want to put the shortcuts from the left pane to a horizontal bar. This gives me a better overview and gives more room in the pane on the left for the tags.

These are two major usability drawbacks for me.

Funny name in atlas:

I've just installed version 5 and I was checking the atlas feature when I've found that my "Getting Started" note has coordinates 43.260895,-2.938797. That's Bilbao, Spain. But the name it shows in the Atlas is "El Bocho", not "Bilbao". 

"El Bocho" (or Botxo) is certainly used to refer to Bilbao by people from Bilbao and its surroundings, but it is not something that you'll see in maps and the like, or that people from outside Bilbao know.

So I think you should check where you are getting the names from...

EDIT: 

I'm using Evernote in Spanish.

From what I see in the credits, you seem to be using GeoNames for the names. Well, I don't know how its API works, but in the names of Bilbao, the one marked as preferred in Spanish is "Bilbao", so I think you should use that one

I'm back on 4.6.

I use the Secret Weapon GTD method. And I was not able to do following filter use case:

1) I have a filtered list view with notebook "actions pending", tag "2-next"

2) Now I want to change the filter to "actions pending", "3-soon". So I added "3-soon" to the filter (drag the tag from the left to the filter-bar above the list-view). Now I have no tasks, because the filter is as follows: "actions pending", "2-next", "3-soon" - and a task should not have two priority tags.

3) Next step would be, to de-select the tag "2-next". But this does not work.Clicking on the tag "2-next" has no effect, it resists and stays there. Obviously a bug.

With these drawbacks of filtering tasks, I can't use EN 5. I would try to use it if there would be a keyboard shortcut for the filter bar (NOT the search field). But if changing the filter does not work properly, I will never be as effective with EN 5 as with EN 4.

Cheers
Thomas

I update to V5 today.

The font size of "left panel" seem smaller than V4 in my computer.

It is not easy for me to see the word clearly...

I usually set the default font size of note at "14".....

Is it possible to implement the function of the left panel's font size setting ?

thanks....

• Level 5*

Remember that you don't just click a search and it goes away.  As you type, both the contents of the drop down refine, as well as the resulting note list.

Remember that the drop-down behavior is new to V5, and something that I'm not wholly convinced is useful all the time. I can see where it's useful sometimes, but other times I don't want/need it. Again, though, my main problem with the new location is that while I'm typing over *here*, the list that it modified is over *there*, and that's a disconnect in the UI, and a focus problem. I have to believe that there's a better solution.

For the love of God, please remove the 'related notes' feature or allow me to turn it off. I use EN for both wok and personal.  I was showing a colleague one of the work notes (on the proector) when it showed snippets of personal notes.  Totally not acceptable.

There are numerous reasons why someone would not want to have this functionality.

For the love of God, please remove the 'related notes' feature or allow me to turn it off. I use EN for both wok and personal.  I was showing a colleague one of the work notes (on the proector) when it showed snippets of personal notes.  Totally not acceptable.

There are numerous reasons why someone would not want to have this functionality.

Due I deinstalled already the new version, I can't say for sure. But I think I disabled this feature (somehow) by closing the related notes panel. After that it kept closed. Maybe this works for you.

Due I deinstalled already the new version, I can't say for sure. But I think I disabled this feature (somehow) by closing the related notes panel. After that it kept closed. Maybe this works for you.

Nope. I still see related notes.

For example. Folder A contains notes for Customer A. Folder B for Customer B. If I'm in Folder A I can see notes from the Folder B.  I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Overall, I like the 'look' of V5. However, the side bar is now more confusing. The multiple search fields are confusing.

I'll likely revert later today.

View -> Show related Notes.

Interesting update, not hating it and it's nice to have an interface more similar to Mac, but I agree that there's not enough contrast throughout much of the app. I'd like to see shortcuts as a drop-down at the top and not just in the left bar, because it's not always visible without scrollign now. Also, I found one bug so far (in 5.0.0.1137) in that when I click on Atlas, it shows an "All Notes" panel and then says "Connect to the Internet to view Atlas." Except I'm writing this post on the same computer at this very moment, so...yeah, kind of a fail there. Try again :-) And this is after connecting to the Internet in multiple locations from my laptop across two days, not just an initial install thing. Clicking the panel or the error makes them "jump" but doesn't appear to actually _do_ anything...

Please post your feedback about the new Windows V5. Thanks to all the beta users who have been helping us out. We still have lots to do and look forward to hearing from everyone.

cheers!

Love the new interface.  Been a user since early 2009 and have never had any complaints with EN.

Great to see the product evolving, love the new freshen up.   Have never felt the need to join the forums and post, but I had to today to just say great work on V5 and to keep up the great work.

All the best,

Chris

Dlu, has anyone been testing V5 on a Business version?

Regards

Chris

C6REW, I have been testing it as a Business user since the first Beta.  Specifically for a business user (i.e. beyond some of the issues already highlighted) the outstanding issues that it looks like it has are the following:

- The tag filtering does not work properly in business notebooks - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41033-evernote-for-windows-v5-beta-3/page-5#entry222638 and http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40780-v5-beta-2/page-4#entry220788

- The author field is not being automatically populated - this seems like a fairly critical feature needed for business users (don't think it ever worked in v4 either)

- There were some issues with the last edited field, but dlu said these may have been fixed - http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40470-how-does-the-last-edited-by-field-work/#entry218652

A simple mouse up from where?

From the vertical Note list.  I find my mouse working in that area the majority of the time.

Capture_zps6e4fa9bd.png

Hi Xabi,

Many thanks for your input.

When I tested it on a spare computer I found that Personal and Business Notes where getting mixed up. As I have about 13,000 Notes, I really don't want them getting mixed up. I know Dlu was looking into all of this and was hoping he would come back with confirmation that it was now running OK.

Best regards

Chris

Here is my initial feedback about v5.0.0:

• When viewing a long note that has a vertical scrollbar present, dragging the scrollbar doesn't work correctly to scroll the note contents. It moves very reluctantly in very large steps and only once you've made a big dragging movement. Compare that to the scrollbar for the notes list, which is much more 'direct-drive' and moves much more smoothly.

• Some notes have just a single line visible as their border at the bottom, while others have a weird double-line.

• When switching between notes of different lengths, the rendering that has to occur to figure out where to place the bottom border is very distracting. You can see it happen in stages as it initially renders the bottom border in a certain position and then re-adjusts to accommodate the length of the note. This flashing/re-rendering as you're moving through notes doesn't look good.

• If you have a notebook selected that contains a note that is also in your Shortcuts, if you then select the note in the Shortcuts section, the notebook you were previously on stays highlighted. So you have two things highlighted simultaneously in the tree on the left: the note and its associated notebook. If that was the intention, then why, if you select the note beforehand without first selecting the notebook, does the notebook not get highlighted. Inconsistent.

• 'View -> Show Unassigned Tags' appears to do nothing. This option can't be toggled off.

• 'Search all notes' is non-intuitive. I expected it would search all notes, not just the ones in the currently selected notebook.

• When my cursor is in the search box, I expect that when I press Esc it will clear my typing and reset the search. But this doesn't happen.

• The biggest irritation of all (and which has been present in all previous versions): When a button or other UI widget has been clicked that results in a dropdown becoming visible, then I expect that when I click a second time on the button the dropdown will disappear. But instead, to make it go away, I have to find something else on the screen to click on.
  • Level 5*

My feedback: There is a lot to like about this update (I have written my thoughts on the betas up until this point), but there is one problem that is making it difficult for me to evaluate the changes; namely, the app is "Not Responding."

I have installed and uninstalled several times now to no avail. Apparently, the app somehow was syncing something last night when I made notes on my Mac, but not syncing everything. I have about 1,000 notes in total synced to the servers at the moment, and only 124 are showing on my Windows computer. Why these 124? I don't know.

The blue disk (Windows 7) is spinning, but nothing is happening after the app opens. I've got a netbook, so I expected it to be slow and all, but I really cannot use it. Is this a widespread issue, or is it just me? If it is just me, it might be time to retire the netbook...

My feedback: There is a lot to like about this update (I have written my thoughts on the betas up until this point), but there is one problem that is making it difficult for me to evaluate the changes; namely, the app is "Not Responding."

I have installed and uninstalled several times now to no avail. Apparently, the app somehow was syncing something last night when I made notes on my Mac, but not syncing everything. I have about 1,000 notes in total synced to the servers at the moment, and only 124 are showing on my Windows computer. Why these 124? I don't know.

The blue disk (Windows 7) is spinning, but nothing is happening after the app opens. I've got a netbook, so I expected it to be slow and all, but I really cannot use it. Is this a widespread issue, or is it just me? If it is just me, it might be time to retire the netbook...

#Ultrabook time, lol. #Zenbook

• Level 5*

#Ultrabook time, lol. #Zenbook

I await your $1400 check in the mail :)

Having to upgrade my computer just to use Evernote (I actually spend most of my time on a new Mac) seems a little much to take advantage of V5!

• Level 5*

A simple mouse up from where?

From the vertical Note list.  I find my mouse working in that area the majority of the time.
It was a rhetorical question - a user is not always operating in the note list (much less close to the top), and that's why many users prefer shortcuts that work the same way wherever they are working. Don't get me wrong, though -- I preferred the search control where it was, and advocated that strongly in the earlier betas. On the other hand, with respect to keyboard shortcuts, less is *not* more. Not everyone is a mouse lover.
  • Level 5*

Are you suffering through the database upgrade process?
  • Level 5*

Are you suffering through the database upgrade process?

I don't think so... It has been many hours now (almost a day now), and my notes are mainly short text files. Well, the good news is that suddenly, as I am writing this, the app has sprung to life. I just watched hundreds of notes appear in a few minutes. Everything works relatively snappy (for a netbook).

Thanks dlu for stepping in and taking a hammer to my shard in the Evernote servers! Just kidding. Seriously, this is probably not expected behavior for the app or an upgrade. What if this netbook had been my only computer?

I'll still take that $1400 check, though, because I would like to see the Evernote Windows app in action on a machine worthy of Mordor.

• Evernote Expert
The client seems to be generally fast, including the new sync bar on the sides, but i still face this problem. The moment i type a search option, the client freezes for a few seconds, before it offers me the search options in my account. Any one else facing this issue? I faced this problem in the beta version too.

Archived