(Archived) Feature request: more powerful ways to organize notes (Evernote as personal knowledge base)

Hello

Please add more powerful ways to organize notes.

I`m using Evernote for a year and allready have 212 notes in 46 notebooks, grouped in 8 notebook groups. With so many items it became hard to navigate between them, especially in mobile versions.

Flexible organization of notes, relying on searching and sorting makes it very easy to start using Evernote. But optional tools for enforcing structure to notes can be very useful for hardcore users.

What I ask:

• Deeper notebook hierarchy (2 levels is not enough for me).
  • Wiki features.
  • Advanced tags ("Projects") - which will not only select tagged notes, but also enforce some type of structure to them.

From all software I tried Evernote is closest to be the excellent personal knowledge base. I will switch to premium account if Evernote will have features for organizing large knowledge base.

• Level 5*

While I probably go along with "Wiki features" because I'd like to see [wiki-style note links] and page transclusion and Categories - and to be fair Wiki Categories might answer your Advanced Tags request - but I do have to ask: what exactly are you looking for?  Evernote's mission (I believe) is to provide a generally available database with advanced functions that can be used for a wide variety of cases.  If it enforces any kind of structure,  it by definition limits the uses to which it can be put,  because that structure will not be appropriate for some cases.

And as to " I will switch to premium account if Evernote will have features for organizing large knowledge base."

1. It already has those features - my database is 15,000 notes and rising,  and it works fine for me..  and
  2. -100 points for mentioning the "I will switch to premium" promise.  I don't think your single subscription would cover the cost of adding the features!

Hello

Please add more powerful ways to organize notes.

I`m using Evernote for a year and allready have 212 notes in 46 notebooks, grouped in 8 notebook groups. With so many items it became hard to navigate between them, especially in mobile versions.

Flexible organization of notes, relying on searching and sorting makes it very easy to start using Evernote. But optional tools for enforcing structure to notes can be very useful for hardcore users.

What I ask:

• Deeper notebook hierarchy (2 levels is not enough for me).
  • Wiki features.
  • Advanced tags ("Projects") - which will not only select tagged notes, but also enforce some type of structure to them.

From all software I tried Evernote is closest to be the excellent personal knowledge base. I will switch to premium account if Evernote will have features for organizing large knowledge base.

It's doubtful EN will add sub-notebooks anytime soon, if ever. You really can organize a large number of notes more efficiently using tags, descriptive titles & keywords. IMO & IME, the more notes you have, the more limiting relying upon sub-notebooks becomes. (IME, this also happens when you rely upon sub directories for organizing files on your hard drive, which explains apps/functions like Spotlight (Mac) & Locate32 or Everything (Windows)) Additionally, EN limits you to 250 notebooks. There are several threads on this topic. Please search the board should you want more info.

I'm not nearly as knowledgable or experienced with Evernote as the two previous responders, but I do use Evernote daily (at work and at home) and have about 2000 notes at this point.  I thought I would chime in just to show a mid-level, semi-techy user's perspective on the tags and notebooks parts of your request.  

I'm not sure what you mean by needing to enforce structure through advanced tags (true tech folks know exactly what you mean, I'm sure - I'm just not one of them).  It seems to me that you can already do just about anything with tags, searches, good titles, and a little creativity.  I use prefixes to create structure in my tags, include a group that represents active projects.  Combined with saved searches I have essentially unlimited "virtual" notebooks (aka filters; ways to select and view batches of notes with a couple clicks).  This way anyone can use simple naming conventions to build a custom organization system that does exactly what they want.  As B&F said there are lots of good ideas for doing this in other threads. 

As you can see, I am totally sold on using tags to organize info.  I'm not saying folders are bad, only that if you are finding it awkward to navigate to notes in the system you're using and are willing to experiment, tags are a great alternative to using more folders.  I put a high value of getting things into EN quickly, and retrieving them equally quickly.  Tags do this really well.  And I love not having to decide which single folder I need to put each note into, then drill down to that folder (assuming I remember what I picked) every time I want to retrieve the note.

My apologies if I've totally misunderstood what you are asking for.  Just wanted to say that the more I use Evernote, the more I find the current tools to be extremely powerful, and I that I value the flexibility that allows me design my own organization system.

Archived