Help! I accidentally deleted tags!

Please help I accidentally deleted a tab with maybe another 50 sub-tabs. Which means there are around 500-600 notes that I need to re-tag, it's going to take forever! So as i recognized what I had done, I unplugged my internet to prevent it from syncing. The good news is that I checked my online account and in that version all the tabs are still there.

My idea was to uninstall evernote on the PC, and then re-install it, in the hopes that it would download the old version of my database off the web. However I tried that, but when I re-installed evernote, it did not download anything. It already had all my notes there already, with the deleted tags still missing. So somehow uninstalling EN did'nt get rid on my local database. What do I do? so that I can get my online database to overwrite my local one?

Please help I accidentally deleted a tab with maybe another 50 sub-tabs. Which means there are around 500-600 notes that I need to re-tag, it's going to take forever! So as i recognized what I had done, I unplugged my internet to prevent it from syncing. The good news is that I checked my online account and in that version all the tabs are still there.

My idea was to uninstall evernote on the PC, and then re-install it, in the hopes that it would download the old version of my database off the web. However I tried that, but when I re-installed evernote, it did not download anything. It already had all my notes there already, with the deleted tags still missing. So somehow uninstalling EN did'nt get rid on my local database. What do I do? so that I can get my online database to overwrite my local one?

Windows is renowned for not fully deleting files/folders when uninstalling an app. For future reference, Revo uninstaller is the best way to workaround this.

However in this case, you don't need to uninstall EN. And it's great you prevented syncing. As long as the notes on the web client are correct & you have no unsynced notes (including any local notebooks) all you should need to do is fully exit EN on your computer, including any elephants in the system tray, locate all your-user-name.exb files on your computer (there will be at least one), rename them (I would not delete them until you're certain everything is fixed) & reinvoke EN. It will then require you to be connected to the internet & will require you to provide your account login credentials. (If it doesn't do this part, then EN found an exb file you didn't rename, so stop, exit EN & find it before continuing.) It will create a new exb file & download all your notes from the EN servers.

If you have any unsynced notes (including local/non-synced notebooks), please search the board on

backup restore local

For info on how to migrate them.

I would also suggest you start making your own backups of the EN database as well. There is a lot of information on the board already on the topic.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I made this same mistake Lenny25 did. Just cranking through clean up, and deleted the wrong tag. Lucky for me, BurgerNFries posted the solution above. It worked out great. So, anyone else comes upon this post with the same problem, just follow BurgerNFries prescription above.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5*

What if it has been synced? Evernote nowadays syncs everything immediately as it's changed. I just deleted one tag from some notes. If there is a way to know which notes were changed, I can retag them, but changing tags does not affect the Updated column of notes.

I'm a Mac user though.

If your database has synced to all devices then your only hope (AFAIK) is to have a recent backup that will give you the clue;  otherwise you would have to recreate the logic that led you to these notes in the first place - search for keywords,  dates or locations - and hope you can reinvent the tagged selection.

• 2 years later...

I accidentally deleted a tag that was attached to 532 notes, so I am not happy. I was trying to get to "STYLE" and mouse slipped I deleted! How can I turn back the option to "Are you sure you want to delete..." tag option? It does not seem to be under the options.

I wish there was a way to recover deleted tags after syncing. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I accidentally deleted a tag that was attached to 532 notes, so I am not happy. I was trying to get to "STYLE" and mouse slipped I deleted! How can I turn back the option to "Are you sure you want to delete..." tag option? It does not seem to be under the options.

I wish there was a way to recover deleted tags after syncing. 

A web search for "evernote tag delete confirmation" turned up the following: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

In hope someone will find this information useful … this is my case:

Accidentally deleted a tag "quotes" from 223 notes.
After a few moments of panic and an attempt to google the solution (no, I don't keep backups apart form the TimeMachine) I've rushed back to my second computer, disconnected it from wi-fi and lan and tried three (better safe than sorry) solutions:
I've selected all notes with the infamous tag and
1. Exported the notes to an .enex file (incl. tags).
2. Created Table of Contents Note.
3. Applied a new tag "quotes_new" to the selection.

Reconnected to the internet and synced the notes. It turns out everything is fine – the original tag "quotes" was removed, the new one "quotes_new" is applied.

• Like 2