how to annotate a pdf with penultimate

gawnfishin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm using Evernote since I bought my iPad. I tested Penultimate but I'm using Goodnotes because I need to take notes on pdf files.

I want to quit using Goodnotes and get back to Penultimate since I want to have my handwritten notes synced to Evernote.

Can you please develop this feature??????

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Another testimonial to this subject.

This is one of the major features that is missing in Penultimate.

I want to be able to open PDFs from anywhere in iOS straight into Penultimate, and then sketch anything in it. I would use this to annotate and to sign documents. Note: I am very much in favor of integration, vs. multiple applications for different purposes. I will not bother using Evernote for storing, SketchIT to annotate and penultimate for handwriting. Penultimate + Evernote already has the most advanced set of features, I would love to see the missing features added to them only.

This function as well as the paper rotation (see thread on this topic) and a zoom window (or any smart solution improving the zoom mode) would make Penultimate THE best nite taking app. And would kill any doubt about switching to competing applications.

Thanks to the EN team for the good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Add me to the list of people requesting this.  I take notes on my ipad with a stylus, and on paper, often on the same topic.  In the past I have scanned my paper notes and inserted them into the ipad notebook (using Notability).  That way I have a consolidated set of notes on a topic in whatever form they were originally created. I appears that Penultimate lets you export pdfs, but not import them.  This is the principal reason I am still using Notability and not Penultimate.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Essential feature for me too. I try to annotate pdf with the evernote "a" button on the top of my iPad and the experience is no where near penultimate. It is unusable. I am premium by the way as i value evernote as a great tool, but would like to see that feature added.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree.  This is the most frustrating thing about Evernote.  I want to use my apple pencil to write on top of a PDF, but I don't want to sit down and take a photo of every page and paste it into penultimate.  If they don't get a drawing over pdf feature soon, I may dump them and find something better. 

• 2 weeks later...

+100 for this feature - would be an absolute killer. Have a 9.7" ipad pro with pencil and look into ways of making it my travel companion rather than carrying a laptop around with me, and data isolated in app silos is the biggest challenge here - evernote has a great potential to pool and sync all relevant data, and penultimate is my favourite note taking app already.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Also having the same problem. I had been using NotesPlus (the paid version, wich doesn't cost much). It might solve your problems until someone from Evernote/Penultimate read their discussion board and give us any reply. I'm listing the reasons why I'm still with NotesPlus:

1. It produces neat notes
  2. Provides the approximation writing (zoom) AND move the writing box automatically
  3. Offers palm rejection when using approximation writing box (so people don't need to have a Bluetooth stylus),
  4. Lots of pen styles, colors (+ opacity),
  5. Easily import and export pdf notes/documents without limit for the number of pages. Also very easy to get pdfs from your google drive with the app. I download pdf books and read them with the app so I can take notes and highlight things very easy (including exporting just the pages I want to my peers)

Downside:

1. Hurts the iPad performance, it gets slow when you start having a lot of notes. 
  2. Not a lot of improvements

Hope this provides some help to the users, and maybe some nice ideas for improvements to Evernote/Penultimate.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so i worked on it a bit and found out that the problem is with the proprietary filetype of penultimate, which does not support PDF's until today. Sorry folks, you're not going to find it anytime soon. Also, I want to say, support for apple pencil in the app is really bad. Penultimate's team have a lot of potential, you can see through the app, but it seems to me EN is stalling that potential.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/27/2013 at 6:39 AM, PhilFromFrance said:

Another testimonial to this subject.

This is one of the major features that is missing in Penultimate.

I want to be able to open PDFs from anywhere in iOS straight into Penultimate, and then sketch anything in it. I would use this to annotate and to sign documents. Note: I am very much in favor of integration, vs. multiple applications for different purposes. I will not bother using Evernote for storing, SketchIT to annotate and penultimate for handwriting. Penultimate + Evernote already has the most advanced set of features, I would love to see the missing features added to them only.

This function as well as the paper rotation (see thread on this topic) and a zoom window (or any smart solution improving the zoom mode) would make Penultimate THE best nite taking app. And would kill any doubt about switching to competing applications.

Thanks to the EN team for the good work.

Almost 4 years sigh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys Evernote gave up on Penultimate, check the update dates. The thing is dated outclassed by every other apple pencil application. Sadly they just don't seem to care about thats why it hasn't ben updated with features the community wants. I say abandon it and include the entire feature set into EN since penultimate by itself is just like using a a 5 year old piece of software with one good thing about it which is EN sync. 

18 hours ago, Randen Montalvo said:

Guys Evernote gave up on Penultimate, check the update dates. The thing is dated outclassed by every other apple pencil application. Sadly they just don't seem to care about thats why it hasn't ben updated with features the community wants. I say abandon it and include the entire feature set into EN since penultimate by itself is just like using a a 5 year old piece of software with one good thing about it which is EN sync. 

Yes it appears that way.  This is unfortunate because Penultimate wouldn't take that much work to make it really useful.  I'm currently using Noteshelf since it syncs with Evernote.  Noteshelf's features are great but I don't like it's organizational structure.  You have to remember to designate a notebook for syncing when creating and whole notebooks sync as individual notes in Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived