(Archived) Idea: notes linking

Andrew Kostenko

Hello! Evernote has become irreplacable part of my life and I want to do it more irreplacable. 

What about to add an ability to link notes with each other by using special links? In my imagination it looks like usual hyperlinks in the content, but by clicking these ones, the note that link has linked to will be opened.

P.S. I'm sorry for any mistakes you may find — English isn't my native :)

Have a nice day!

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Have a look at note links: right click any note and see Copy Note Link - this gets you a unique identifier for that note which will act exactly as you describe (on the computer you're using).  Look under share and Copy Note URL which takes you to the web version.  But note that makes it public!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to second the request for an obvious way to link between notes. I just had a need for this today. I was making a to do list and one of my items referenced a note I had created days earlier. The hyperlink dialog could easily be expanded to handle links to notes.

• Level 5*

OK - a part solution;  right click a note,  choose Share and Copy Note URL to Clipboard.  Use that link as you would any other - it will open the web version of the note on any machine.  Caveat: your note is now publicly shared,  although if no-one else knows the URL they won't be able to see it.

@gazumped, Thanks for the suggestion. 

@eric99, the reason this is less than ideal is that absolute URLs leave the application and take you to a web client and out of the authoring context of Evernote. What I'm looking for is a simple way to link between notes that keeps me in the application. Will be interesting to see if Evernote add this capability at some point.

• Level 5*

@eric99, the reason this is less than ideal is that absolute URLs leave the application and take you to a web client and out of the authoring context of Evernote. What I'm looking for is a simple way to link between notes that keeps me in the application. Will be interesting to see if Evernote add this capability at some point.

So right-click the note and choose Copy Note Link - but that only works on the one machine.  You can't have an option to stay in Evernote if you're on a different machine - unless you have a second account and share the note to that account?

OK, so I'll chalk this up to the old adage about what happens when one "assumes." @eric99 is right; this works just fine across clients. Thanks to you both for pointing me in the right direction! I assumed the links would be http protocol and take me out of the app. 

So right-click the note and choose Copy Note Link - but that only works on the one machine.  You can't have an option to stay in Evernote if you're on a different machine - unless you have a second account and share the note to that account?

Copying a note link will work across all the platforms...as long as the globally unique identifier (GUID) doesn't get changed. This can get a bit complex, so I won't get into all the nuances. But if you create "note A" in a sync'd notebook & "note B" in a sync'd notebook. You copy the note link for "note A" & put it into "note B". Clicking on the link in "note B" will take you to "note A" on all platforms. (At least I know for sure the Windows, iOS & I think the web platforms.) The problem arises if you move "note A" to a local notebook (via Windows or Mac desktop client). Now your link is broken b/c the GUID has changed. It is broken even on the computer that contains the local notebook "note A" resides in. This is why I think anchors are never going to be implemented unless & until a different note link system is in place. IOW, not for a very long time, if ever.

FWIW, another way the GUID gets changed is if you have to restore selected notes from a backup.  And I think if you pull a note from the Evernote note history that may also generate a new GUID, I'm not sure.

So while note links are helpful, some users have been known to create intricate links using them...only to find if they moved to a local notebook or imported from a backup that all the links were broken.  Just keep that in mind when using them.

• 4 months later...

DTS: 02152013-1030

Hello,

RE: Note2Note Linking (N2NL)

I had converted our entire project management and communications scope to Evernote, where the only thing missing is analytics, a calendar within the Evernote interface so all items can be sorted on a calendar by date, which eventually converts to Gantt charting and internal note2note linking coined "N2NL." Of course the case study won't be published until later this year, I see the current linking system issuing shared links, as a permalink.

N2NL would only require a notebook and note being two (2) independent objects instead. The GUID is the query endpoint, but I can understand where it's easier to implement online than through a desktop or mobile interface, unless all EN itself contained an XML map for each userid, guid, and apiid. In this implementation, there are security risks, but those risks can be controlled if the XML map only contained references attached to an authorization key, which is only initiated when the user is logged into the system. The XML map would then only be as accurate as the last sync. This means the user can only publicly release a fully shared link, so say a field entry that shows a permalink for sharing and another for N2NL (this of course can only be an anchor because it's an internally exclusive URL query string. For ex.: ?N2NL=294453453ewrwkhjfnvnerwer)

Hence, all notebooks and notes could only push and pull from the XML map last synced. I'm sure this will be implemented when EN becomes fully HTML5 compliant. I would advise using the tips above for N2NL, including the understanding that, the links can be publicly communicated and no note using N2NL should be presumed internally exclusive.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

• Level 5*

Hello,

I had converted our entire project management and communications scope to Evernote, where the only thing missing is analytics, a calendar within the Evernote interface so all items can be sorted on a calendar by date, which eventually converts to Gantt charting and internal note2note linking coined "N2NL." Of course the case study won't be published until later this year, I see the current linking system issuing shared links, as a permalink.

N2NL would only require a notebook and note being two (2) independent objects instead. The GUID is the query endpoint, but I can understand where it's easier to implement online than through a desktop or mobile interface, unless all EN itself contained an XML map for each userid, guid, and apiid. In this implementation, there are security risks, but those risks can be controlled if the XML map only contained references attached to an authorization key, which is only initiated when the user is logged into the system. The XML map would then only be as accurate as the last sync. This means the user can only publicly release a fully shared link, so say a field entry that shows a permalink for sharing and another for N2NL (this of course can only be an anchor because it's an internally exclusive URL query string. For ex.: ?N2NL=294453453ewrwkhjfnvnerwer)

Hence, all notebooks and notes could only push and pull from the XML map last synced. I'm sure this will be implemented when EN becomes fully HTML5 compliant. I would advise using the tips above for N2NL, including the understanding that, the links can be publicly communicated and no note using N2NL should be presumed internally exclusive.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

Hi. Thanks for the informative post. I am afraid I didn't understand what you said, though. Could you explain it in a different way for a non-techy person?

Specifically, I understand you to be saying that a note containing internal note links that is shared with others could provide unintentional access to the other linked notes that have not been shared. My understanding (and experience) suggests otherwise, so I would be interested in some clarification. Or, to put it another way, I have never seen a case in which any note could be accessed by anyone else unless you specifically tell Evernote to make the note shared or put the note into a shared notebook. 

DTS: 02152014-1143

Hello,

RE: RE: Note2Note Linking (N2NL)

Whether the Note URL is posted via social media or copied to the clip board, you'll notice the Note is categorized as "shared" because it's a live share. The link issued is meant to be public, although it now appears non-viewable within frames or iframes. If the shared link is posted to another note ("Note,") even though that link points to another note ("Note,") if the contents of that note ("Note") was meant for internal eyes only, all notes are viewable in a chain, if a single shared link was publicly exposed.

In essence, when using N2NL, make certain the information shared doesn't contain sensitive information. Risk of exposing sensitive information may not occur to solo or non-enterprise users, but in a business environment N2NL must be closely guarded. This issue may not have arisen in Evernote for business, but exclusive access rights must exist in Evernote solo or business, to separately control access to linking. The Evernote platform must be given the same treatment, as any platform where the solo end-user is still admin over his or her shares and content.

For instance, say there are three (3) parties: I'm the admin / PM, you're the executive (client,) and then contractors. If I share with you a link, say it's a pre-release manuscript, this link will obviously be a Notebook, as an Epic or Story (AgilePM) where you'll only have viewing and commenting access. I extend linking privileges to three (3) contractors who are responsible for the write-up. If these contractors become untrusted, that linking privilege for a single contractor or each contractor can be removed without disturbing the workflow. The only way to really handle this is having internally exclusive linking.

Say, you may want a specific contractor working on a project, but you want that contractor to have "no right-click" or "no CCP;" this would prevent theft of sensitive content while not disturbing the workflow. In the end, the contractor would submit changes for approval, sort of version checking or push and pull. In essence, parts of the virtual editor's ribbon can be disabled. Also, to know if someone anonymous or an authorized user is viewing the note would be helpful.

Of course this is all enterprise level, but to an extent some administrative control must be given to the solo user. In March we're switching to Evernote for business hoping there's more administrative privileges expanded on that level.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

REF.:

Hello,

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

Hi. Thanks for the informative post. I am afraid I didn't understand what you said, though. Could you explain it in a different way for a non-techy person?

Specifically, I understand you to be saying that a note containing internal note links that is shared with others could provide unintentional access to the other linked notes that have not been shared. My understanding (and experience) suggests otherwise, so I would be interested in some clarification. Or, to put it another way, I have never seen a case in which any note could be accessed by anyone else unless you specifically tell Evernote to make the note shared or put the note into a shared notebook. 

• Level 5*

DTS: 02152014-1143

Hello,

RE: RE: Note2Note Linking (N2NL)

Whether the Note URL is posted via social media or copied to the clip board, you'll notice the Note is categorized as "shared" because it's a live share. The link issued is meant to be public, although it now appears non-viewable within frames or iframes. If the shared link is posted to another note ("Note,") even though that link points to another note ("Note,") if the contents of that note ("Note") was meant for internal eyes only, all notes are viewable in a chain, if a single shared link was publicly exposed.

Hi. Sorry to belabor the point, but I am afraid I am still unable to understand what you are saying. This is probably my fault, but I think the issue may be (1) this is a thread about internal note links (started off as shared URLs but concluded with recommending internal note links) and you seem to be talking about shared URLs, (2) the terminology you are using does not distinguish between internal note links and shared URLs, and (3) Evernote is unclear (in my opinion) with some of its terminology.

What you are calling an N2NL is what Evernote calls a "shared" URL, right (a blue hyperlink)? If Note A is shared and linked to Note B by a shared link, then naturally one could follow the path from A to B and continue on to see everything. That makes sense, and that is how it is supposed to work.

If you want something for internal eyes only, you wouldn't use a shared URL. Instead, you would use an internal "note link" (green). The internal note links should NOT be accessible to others, even if you share a note that contains them. Here is an example.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/c11c4e10-0782-4bb9-be15-1102aa3b5fd2/1ce8d25ce06ee88833e48ccb8c4facc4

I assume that if you try to access the internal note link there, it will not actually take you anyplace (my computer keeps opening the Evernote app, so I am actually not 100% sure about this, but that is how it is supposed to work).

Anyhow, if I understand the scenario above correctly, I think as a business you want to restrict your use of shared note links and rely instead on shared notebooks. Everything in a shared notebook can be linked together with internal note links (see my public notebook link in my signature). If you had two notebooks shared to a client (one less sensitive than the other) and linked those together with internal note links they could seamlessly navigate between them, and when you want to remove access to the sensitive one, you simply remove them from the notebook and their links from the remaining one to the other would stop operating. It should work smoothly.

For the different ways to make links, see the screencast here:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=488

DTS: 02152014-1437

Hello,

RE:RE: Note2Note Linking (N2NL)

What you are calling an N2NL is what Evernote calls a "shared" URL, right (a blue hyperlink)? If Note A is shared and linked to Note B by a shared link, then naturally one could follow the path from A to B and continue on to see everything. That makes sense, and that is how it is supposed to work.

If you want something for internal eyes only, you wouldn't use a shared URL. Instead, you would use an internal "note link" (green). The internal note links should NOT be accessible to others, even if you share a note that contains them. Here is an example.
https://www.evernote...3e48ccb8c4facc4

I assume that if you try to access the internal note link there, it will not actually take you anyplace (my computer keeps opening the Evernote app, so I am actually not 100% sure about this, but that is how it is supposed to work).

The internal link wouldn't navigate anywhere, but it would pull the data. Rendering the data would require user session and GUID detection, to ensure the rendered linking isn't exposed. This means the actual internal URL would be hard-coded into the application interface whether it's Windows, Mobile or Mac; the interface would recognize the call and only process the "?N2NL=2094848skfjdsdsjk." Using hover methods could bring a unique feel and value-added depth to Evernote. Another possible method for rendering the data using N2NL is creating a capability to "insert data" or "include a note" into a note. Previously, I stated Evernote was used for AgilePM, so a note is actually a task.

Note: When we create the note as a task, I set the qualified "!Task" tag, set the reminder date, include the adhoc permission set preceding the title: -I (internal) -P (private) -R (restricted.) Since I have several stacks as notebook epics and notebook stories; we don't use that many tags, but we do have many. Instead, there's more than 50 notebooks that are used as phases: project management; E-procurement; sales; and publication; from !Archive-00 to !Close-[xxx]. Therefore, projects, sales, publication and production just moves from top down the assembly-line. We also have a "!Backlog-inbox" which is a primary notebook, within the primary backlog, for all incoming communications. It's all processed down the assembly-line.

Issue 1. Creating a task is the same way as creating a new note, but the title is written: -I} Task-1]; The -I} is the permission set seen first, to set the adhoc permission and then: Task-1] is the first task in the notebook stack: -R} Epic] Backlog Workflow; All tasks are held in the same notebook stack, but under: -P-I} Tasks. When the task is written, it can be moved to notebook: -P-R} Story] Outbox, for review or sent right away using send by e-mail. We cannot include a reference to the actual project as a notebook stack or notebook unless its a shared link. Of course that makes the notebook and note public, we don't want this, but instead perhaps even a link that expires at a set date could even work.

Solution 1. Option to: "include note data." In this effort, when a note is created as a task, the note can remain a task until complete because the data is included. No exposure is created. Almost like a forum quote.

=====================

Anyhow, if I understand the scenario above correctly, I think as a business you want to restrict your use of shared note links and rely instead on shared notebooks. Everything in a shared notebook can be linked together with internal note links (see my public notebook link in my signature). If you had two notebooks shared to a client (one less sensitive than the other) and linked those together with internal note links they could seamlessly navigate between them, and when you want to remove access to the sensitive one, you simply remove them from the notebook and their links from the remaining one to the other would stop operating. It should work smoothly.

Here, we don't want to disturb the workflow. It's easy with two (2) or even five (5) clients. When there's about 20 plus people in a workflow, you can't just remove the notebook, as the notebook or stack is, in fact, the workspace and integral to the workflow. Removing the workspace, in this instance crashes the workflow. Place your thoughts on an enterprise level. You have 2000 clients with 100 collaborating on one piece grabbing and publishing information (push and pull.) Now visualize the notebook stacks in your mind. Most solo creatives can only visualize their realm of output, but visualize 30 notebook stacks. The workflow is already done, work is entered and then exited according to the workflow, like a job: clock-in, perform the duties, clock-out.

In can be estimated how many contractors or clients will visit or collaborate on a stack, but only using trending data can it be tracked and that's long after 1 year demonstrated. The workflow is always the key for structured environments. Therefore, making a change requires all parties to be notified including the public with a set of exclusions for compliance and reaction; although designed for point and click, enterprise environments are never that easy in a workflow.

Issue 1. A set workflow in an Evernote specification requires delegation of notes management as task management. Each project or deliverable responds to change in the workflow creating a critical path (CPPM) for which the workflow is dependent. A note performing as a task needs adequate permission sets for which the note is processed within a workflow.

Solution 1. Provide role based permission sets for notes as tasks and notebooks as projects.

What are your thoughts.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

• Level 5*

My main thought would be that if you are trying to use Evernote as an enterprise class application and expecting it to have enterprise class controls then you are using completely the wrong application.

(Saturday night, late)

Hello,

Already proven false, but in case you're wondering, it seems to work for you and many others. It's already an enterprise application. The case study is coming along great unless you can debunk the value of Evernote, as an application.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

REF.:

My main thought would be that if you are trying to use Evernote as an enterprise class application and expecting it to have enterprise class controls then you are using completely the wrong application.

(Saturday night, late)

Already proven false, but in case you're wondering, it seems to work for you and many others. It's already an enterprise application. The case study is coming along great unless you can debunk the value of Evernote, as an application.

Huh? Why would Metrodon want to "debunk the value of Evernote"? He seems pretty darned fond of it.

• Level 5

<snip> Place your thoughts on an enterprise level. You have 2000 clients with 100 collaborating on one piece grabbing and publishing information (push and pull.)<snip>

<snip>Solution 1. Provide role based permission sets for notes as tasks and notebooks as projects.<snip>

<snip>Already proven false, but in case you're wondering, it seems to work for you and many others. It's already an enterprise application. The case study is coming along great unless you can debunk the value of Evernote, as an application.<snip>

I'm also having a difficult time figuring out where you are going, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Take a look at the link below to get some viewpoints from the Evernote CEO. You just might be in the "50 percent of corporate businesses" he references.

Companies will not be able to run an Evernote server behind the corporate firewall. Libin called it a "slippery slope" saying that he refuses to be a consultant that constantly adjusts its product for the customer.

"I think companies that are not comfortable using the cloud aren't going to be Evernote customers," Libin said. While he estimated that may eliminate 50 percent of potential corporate business, he expects that more companies are going to get comfortable using cloud products in the future. Libin isn't expecting to sell to financial institutions since, he said, that is the industry least likely to purchase cloud products at the moment.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

• Level 5

Copying a note link will work across all the platforms...as long as the globally unique identifier (GUID) doesn't get changed. This can get a bit complex, so I won't get into all the nuances. But if you create "note A" in a sync'd notebook & "note B" in a sync'd notebook. You copy the note link for "note A" & put it into "note B". Clicking on the link in "note B" will take you to "note A" on all platforms. (At least I know for sure the Windows, iOS & I think the web platforms.) The problem arises if you move "note A" to a local notebook (via Windows or Mac desktop client). Now your link is broken b/c the GUID has changed. It is broken even on the computer that contains the local notebook "note A" resides in. This is why I think anchors are never going to be implemented unless & until a different note link system is in place. IOW, not for a very long time, if ever.

FWIW, another way the GUID gets changed is if you have to restore selected notes from a backup.  And I think if you pull a note from the Evernote note history that may also generate a new GUID, I'm not sure.

So while note links are helpful, some users have been known to create intricate links using them...only to find if they moved to a local notebook or imported from a backup that all the links were broken.  Just keep that in mind when using them.

Preach it sister. I'm surprised this wasn't more general knowledge, and that Evernote isn't making more use of it, rather than seemingly letting it slide off the menu in favor of the public links.

You can create the note link once (on the desktop, or craft it arduously by hand on a mobile client) and use it everywhere, even on the web client.

Moreover on the Mac you can select a bunch of notes and create a new index note with links to all those notes.

Which gives me an idea... wait...

[tick tock]

Yes, I just did a select all on all my notes and created a link index note of all 5500, nothing broke.

Now I can just copy and past a link on my ipad when I need one.

• Level 5*

Hello,

https://www.evernote...3e48ccb8c4facc4

The internal link wouldn't navigate anywhere, but it would pull the data. Rendering the data would require user session and GUID detection, to ensure the rendered linking isn't exposed. This means the actual internal URL would be hard-coded into the application interface whether it's Windows, Mobile or Mac; the interface would recognize the call and only process the "?N2NL=2094848skfjdsdsjk." Using hover methods could bring a unique feel and value-added depth to Evernote. Another possible method for rendering the data using N2NL is creating a capability to "insert data" or "include a note" into a note. Previously, I stated Evernote was used for AgilePM, so a note is actually a task.

Note: When we create the note as a task, I set the qualified "!Task" tag, set the reminder date, include the adhoc permission set preceding the title: -I (internal) -P (private) -R (restricted.) Since I have several stacks as notebook epics and notebook stories; we don't use that many tags, but we do have many. Instead, there's more than 50 notebooks that are used as phases: project management; E-procurement; sales; and publication; from !Archive-00 to !Close-[xxx]. Therefore, projects, sales, publication and production just moves from top down the assembly-line. We also have a "!Backlog-inbox" which is a primary notebook, within the primary backlog, for all incoming communications. It's all processed down the assembly-line.

Issue 1. Creating a task is the same way as creating a new note, but the title is written: -I} Task-1]; The -I} is the permission set seen first, to set the adhoc permission and then: Task-1] is the first task in the notebook stack: -R} Epic] Backlog Workflow; All tasks are held in the same notebook stack, but under: -P-I} Tasks. When the task is written, it can be moved to notebook: -P-R} Story] Outbox, for review or sent right away using send by e-mail. We cannot include a reference to the actual project as a notebook stack or notebook unless its a shared link. Of course that makes the notebook and note public, we don't want this, but instead perhaps even a link that expires at a set date could even work.

Solution 1. Option to: "include note data." In this effort, when a note is created as a task, the note can remain a task until complete because the data is included. No exposure is created. Almost like a forum quote.

=====================

Here, we don't want to disturb the workflow. It's easy with two (2) or even five (5) clients. When there's about 20 plus people in a workflow, you can't just remove the notebook, as the notebook or stack is, in fact, the workspace and integral to the workflow. Removing the workspace, in this instance crashes the workflow. Place your thoughts on an enterprise level. You have 2000 clients with 100 collaborating on one piece grabbing and publishing information (push and pull.) Now visualize the notebook stacks in your mind. Most solo creatives can only visualize their realm of output, but visualize 30 notebook stacks. The workflow is already done, work is entered and then exited according to the workflow, like a job: clock-in, perform the duties, clock-out.

In can be estimated how many contractors or clients will visit or collaborate on a stack, but only using trending data can it be tracked and that's long after 1 year demonstrated. The workflow is always the key for structured environments. Therefore, making a change requires all parties to be notified including the public with a set of exclusions for compliance and reaction; although designed for point and click, enterprise environments are never that easy in a workflow.

Issue 1. A set workflow in an Evernote specification requires delegation of notes management as task management. Each project or deliverable responds to change in the workflow creating a critical path (CPPM) for which the workflow is dependent. A note performing as a task needs adequate permission sets for which the note is processed within a workflow.

Solution 1. Provide role based permission sets for notes as tasks and notebooks as projects.

What are your thoughts.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

I am embarrassed to say that I still don't quite understand. I think I'll have to bow out of the conversation, because I guess I don't have anything to contribute after all. My parting suggestion would simply be:

(1) to explore the capabilities of internal note links instead of share URLs, especially when working with a lot of data shared with a lot of people (see the link I posted above for the screencasts as well as my public notebook for more);

(2) to test well before implementing any workflow, because any time you have 100 people editing a single note you are almost inevitably going to encounter major sync conflicts;

(3) familiarize yourself with Evernote's limits, because I believe the number of people who can join a privately shared notebook is capped at 250 http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169;

(4) stacks cannot be shared, so I am not sure how you would incorporate 30 of these into an enterprise workflow.

DTS: 02152014-2044

Hello,

(1) to explore the capabilities of internal note links instead of share URLs, especially when working with a lot of data shared with a lot of people (see the link I posted above for the screencasts as well as my public notebook for more);

I have yet to view the screencast, I do apologize. After this commentary I'll review the screencast and refer back here.

(2) to test well before implementing any workflow, because any time you have 100 people editing a single note you are almost inevitably going to encounter major sync conflicts;

Of course, but then as previously stated requires testing Evernote business. The personal edition works fine, as planned for SMBs. So it's good to go AgilePM and the expanded use of Evernote is great for SMB collaboration.

(3) familiarize yourself with Evernote's limits, because I believe the number of people who can join a privately shared notebook is capped at 250 http://www.christoph...ayo.com/?p=169;

These limits are set because it's the natural limits placed of bandwidth connections via Internet Protocol; Evernote has nothing to do with it.

(4) stacks cannot be shared, so I am not sure how you would incorporate 30 of these into an enterprise workflow.

The notes and notebooks within a stack can be shared. Incorporating workflows into stacks is easy. The workflow itself is the stack, but each notebook in the stack is a process. Originally these processes were tags, but as each notebook pertains to a process or queue also relates to AgilePM as an epic or story. Visualize a stack labeled: "Backlog Workflow". Within this stack are more than 30 notebooks numbered sequentially as processes -00 to [-xx] with [-xx] being a final close (actually it's not the final close, but a restricted close, holding records for the end of the year review.) The workflow covers e-procurement, project management, publication, sales and task management.

By the way, I had seen the screencast.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson.

DTS: 02152014-2106

Hello @megsaint,

Only if he wants to prove Evernote isn't capable of enterprise implementation, he would need to debunk my findings that, Evernote is capable of enterprise implementation. Of course he must wait until I publish my case study proving that Evernote is capable of enterprise implementation or before I publish my case study, he can publish his own case study why Evernote isn't capable of enterprise implementation.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

REF.:

Huh? Why would Metrodon want to "debunk the value of Evernote"? He seems pretty darned fond of it.

DTS: 02152014-2114

Hello @jbenson2,

It takes a lot of nerve, to reference a two (2) year old article regarding Evernote supposing the article's declaration is effective upon today's application. More so, I don't have to be an Evernote employee, to know that, publicly defaming a public figure is a crime and is especially noted as a violation of the ToS for forum moderators. It goes without saying! More so, the reference to the article was improperly cited and using it against Evernote as a moderator should qualify banning your account.

Here's the reference:

Evernote to launch tool for business Evernote's idea- and note-capture tool will be released in a few months, CEO says. By Loek Essers. Last accessed on April 27, 2012 10:39 AM ET from < http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business >.

In response, no I'm not barking up the wrong tree because you have no credibility. The above reference is also provided, to give Evernote and myself a chance to defend against that non-sense you slandered and plagiarized.

Thank you,

Mario F Stevenson

REF.:

<snip> Place your thoughts on an enterprise level. You have 2000 clients with 100 collaborating on one piece grabbing and publishing information (push and pull.)<snip>

<snip>Solution 1. Provide role based permission sets for notes as tasks and notebooks as projects.<snip>

<snip>Already proven false, but in case you're wondering, it seems to work for you and many others. It's already an enterprise application. The case study is coming along great unless you can debunk the value of Evernote, as an application.<snip>

I'm also having a difficult time figuring out where you are going, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Take a look at the link below to get some viewpoints from the Evernote CEO. You just might be in the "50 percent of corporate businesses" he references.

Companies will not be able to run an Evernote server behind the corporate firewall. Libin called it a "slippery slope" saying that he refuses to be a consultant that constantly adjusts its product for the customer.

"I think companies that are not comfortable using the cloud aren't going to be Evernote customers," Libin said. While he estimated that may eliminate 50 percent of potential corporate business, he expects that more companies are going to get comfortable using cloud products in the future. Libin isn't expecting to sell to financial institutions since, he said, that is the industry least likely to purchase cloud products at the moment.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

• Level 5

Um... Wow.

Just... Well, nah

just wow...

Perhaps a high water mark for letting sleeping dogs lay.

But it's just so tempting to jump in where he says...

Nope, moving along now, nothing to see here.

Google must be mucking about with Translate again today.

• Level 5*

I shouldn't bite but hey it's Sunday (18:30 if you are interested).

I have no idea of your experience level but I have nearly 15 years working with multi-national enterprises. One or two immediate enterprise level concerns that immediately spring to mind.:

- user management, Evernote has no directory integration. Adding and managing very large numbers of users and groups is simply not practical.

- data security, availability, backup

True enterprises, especially those that are listed are still not willing to make wholesale investment in cloud services where control over data security, availability and backups is lost. It seems to me that you are talking about groups of 5-20 people, this isn't an enterprise and what works for a small group does not necessarily scale.

There are of course a multitude of other reasons but I look forward to seeing how your case study addresses these 2 key and very high level requirements.

DTS: 02152014-2106

Hello,

I'm not sure what you're getting at because your response sounds more like "tabloid" table-talk than actual experience. I never seen an enterprise level collaboration with so few people ("...5-20 people..." what's that!) From my experience, small groups like those you mention are "meet-ups" or "telephone conferences." Teaching a class of students in those numbers isn't considered "enterprise." So it's best not to consider small groups as such as "enterprise level." I finished 2013 reviewing more than 2,820 CRMs; 1,000 ERPs; and all PM platforms. Sometimes a review can last between one (1) hour and eight (8) hours, just to issue-out the review for corporate use in practice management.

I'm neither sure of your idea of "user management;" to "managers," again, I'm not sure if you're one or not, but it's very basic, as to the point, not enterprise level and as far as: "...data security, availability, backup." If you can't provide these services as part of your "workflow," I'm not sure how "enterprise level" provisioning of any kind was something you experienced (or rather missed.) These are neither "very high level requirements." I could see if perhaps you were employed to "work for" multinationals, of course then you wouldn't be privileged, to enterprise architecture and engineering details and really that's an area reserved for plan admins, PMs and project sponsors. It's a closed circle where, if my information herein puzzles you, then you're not in that circle (not to be confused with "oration.") Therefore, I'm not sure how my case study would benefit your needs referencing your responses already. You're probably thinking the case study would be a white paper which it isn't (these are two (2) distinct reports.)

A case study provides a solution to questionable scenario, as in "case study;" it's evidenced-based. It appears that, you're wanting to debunk my case study before it's published based on your previous experiences with "et cetera." If those experiences are documented for public review (which I know isn't based on industry standards and that your appearing haven't previously shared them,) then debunking evidence without presenting the contrary does nothing, but get in the way.

So what is it you're looking for because if you haven't implemented it by now, then you never will. In comparison between the number of posts you have and the number of posts I have in this forum, you should've been far ahead providing some value-added research to Evernote, but waiting for my publications for which you should've produced by now, far more information, on a platform than I won't meet your needs nor improve your situation.

I take on projects with no funding and create funding mechanisms to sponsor an array of program budgets and practices; of course, if you're not in that circle, it's useless information anyway. You'll find I'm hard to spook!

Thank you,

Mario F. Stevenson

REF.:

I shouldn't bite but hey it's Sunday (18:30 if you are interested).

I have no idea of your experience level but I have nearly 15 years working with multi-national enterprises. One or two immediate enterprise level concerns that immediately spring to mind.:

- user management, Evernote has no directory integration. Adding and managing very large numbers of users and groups is simply not practical.
- data security, availability, backup

True enterprises, especially those that are listed are still not willing to make wholesale investment in cloud services where control over data security, availability and backups is lost. It seems to me that you are talking about groups of 5-20 people, this isn't an enterprise and what works for a small group does not necessarily scale.

There are of course a multitude of other reasons but I look forward to seeing how your case study addresses these 2 key and very high level requirements.

• Level 5
Mario,

You deserve a pat on the back. Well done. You have managed to keep us entertained over the weekend with only 5 posts (and 2,227 words) on drivel and poppycock. Simply brilliant!

Archived