Issue pasting Evernote Note into Outlook - Extra Bullets

I use Evernote to take all my business meeting notes.

I need to email these notes to folks and emailing a link isn't acceptable in my business.

So, I try to either (1) C&P the note directly into Outlook or (2) Export Note to HTML and then C&P that into Outlook.

In both cases, I run into a terribly annoying situation - when pasted into Outlook I get an extra bullet per indent level.

Here is what it looks like in Evernote:

START

• TEST
  • TEST
    • TEST 2
    • TEST 2
  • TEST

END

Here is what it looks like when pasted (or exported and pasted):

START

•    
  • TEST
  • TEST
    •    
    • TEST 2
    • TEST 2
  • TEST

END

By the way, the export to HTML looks fine.  It's when I paste into Outlook.

I have dealt with this for years.  It's the reason I started using ONENOTE for a long time.  I recently came back to Evernote and it still has the same problem.

This does not happen when I C&P from Word, ONENOTE, WEBPAGES, so I don't think it's an Outlook issue.  

Fixing this would literally make this product perfect for me.  It it remains broken I might have to find another solution as almost every note I write I email.

HELP!!!!

post-148098-0-57996200-1377439524_thumb.

post-148098-0-99368300-1377439524_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi - do you have Word as well?  As far as I know C&P from Word into notes works fine,  and if you attach a file to the note too,  you could cut and paste from that into Outlook - which should then be OK.  You have the content of your notes visible but just have to remember to use the Word file for edits.

Try submitting a support request (see below) to see if there's a more direct solution.

Hi - do you have Word as well?  As far as I know C&P from Word into notes works fine,  and if you attach a file to the note too,  you could cut and paste from that into Outlook - which should then be OK.  You have the content of your notes visible but just have to remember to use the Word file for edits.

Try submitting a support request (see below) to see if there's a more direct solution.

Thank you gazumped for the shot-on-goal.

Unfortunately, it happens when a C&P into Word as well.  

I have submitted a Support Request.  

I can't believe I am the only who's experienced this.  I've seen it for year - on XP machines, Win 7 machines.

Thanks Again

Hi,

I have experienced the same problems since I use Evernote on Win XP or Win 7 with both Office 2003 and Office 2010. Now, in a new company (Win 7, Office 2003), it happens that also some other characters appear in addition. Most of the time it's the degree-sign "°"....but this happens without regularity and the reason why could be the beta version which i'm currently using.

I think this highlights a basic issue I've seen raised before and why I have to use OneNote for business...inserting Evernote notes directly into Outlook email vs sharing a public link, which doesn't work for many businesses.  Evernote used to allow me to attach notes directly into Outlook emails in a nice format (clear it was an Evernote note so I actually got others to sign up - a perk for Evernote).  Then they discontinued for some reason, which wasn't clear to me.  Does the SDK still support this?  Maybe someone could develop a product around this.  

I've got a slightly different problem, using V5 beta and Outlook 2010, though just tried in Word and it's the same. When I paste in the fonts go wrong - it changes some parts from Tahoma in the EN note to Times New Roman in Outlook, and generally increases the sizes of fonts (e.g. from 10 to 13.5). I often have to spend another 5 or 10 minutes making it up to an acceptable standard to send the email.

Anyone else get this, or could it be an issue with the beta (in which case I'll raise it there)

• 1 month later...

+1

I have this problem with Evernote 5.0.2.1392 and Outlook 2013 and have had it for several versions back of both products. So annoying.

Almost as annoying as pasting a bulleted list within Evernote getting the double-bullet on the first line issue I've also been reading about!

Anybody want Evernote to slow down on the interface changes and fix the text editor, which is still leagues behind OneNote (dynamic tables, anyone?) At least make it paste verbatim between apps. There's gotta be a standard RTF control, right?

I LOVE EN, but miss the sweetness of OneNote's text editing capabilities. I sometimes have to work on a Windows machine (gasp!) and my experience there has always been somewhat lacking in polish, even given the recent updates to the EN client.

I use EverNote dialy on my Windows 7 PC, but also regularly on my iPad 4 and IPhone 5 (both IOS 6).  One of the things I do daily is to keep logs of team member status reports, which I enter into EverNote using the outlining mechanism - basic bullets and indents.

I send a daily summary of the team's activity out using Outlook, weekly updates, product release status reports., etc.  When I copy from EverNote to an Outlook 365 email. the formatting gets all screwy, with extra empty bullets being added each time there is a level of nested bullets.  Also, the font size changes from a source in EverNote of Calibri 11 to a destination in Outlook Calibri 13.5.  This happens regardless of whether I set the Outlook email format to Pain Text, Rich Text or HTML.

This is unacceptable.  The whole point of using EverNote is that it allows me to use the device that is available to me (especially when travelling) to access a shared set of documents.  Interopoerability with the Microsoft Office suite is pretty fundamental.  A few lines like are shown below is not a big deal to correct, but several pages of outlining sent one or more times a day that require font changes and hand elimination of 'extra bullets' is pretty irritating - enough that I am contemplating going back to Word and forgoing the benefits of EverNote.  Note to mention that the outlining in evernote has bugs, especially with an intermittent 'floating extra bullet' artifact that is very difficult or impossible to remove.

Before

Aaron
  • EAS 4.6
    • Got the new 4.6 to my sandbox
    • Setup new Capri (4.6) on my computer

After

Aaron

• EAS 4.6
  •  
    • Got the new 4.6 to my sandbox
    • Setup new Capri (4.6) on my computer

• 3 weeks later...

+1

I've got the same problem. Not just extra bullets also fonts and sizes are changing.

I also got this weird problem. If there is a table within email there is no chance to get well formatted export.

Tables must be copied manually from outlook to evernote. This has started after last update.

Also all my previously exported tables are gone. They were turned into something like below

jszj0w.jpg

I'm gonna give up using Evernote just for this. It's just very annoying.

• Level 5*

AFAIK there's no 'fix' as such since Evernote isn't actually broken if a paste into or from another document format doesn't play well - it's an incompatibility that Evernote may or may not be able to do anything about.  And even if they're looking into whether they can - (all together now) "Evernote don't share their plans" so we'll only find out when it's fixed.  Meantime it's possible to attach files into Notes,  so if other word processors exist that will generate files which can be opened by apps on all the devices you're using,  you can use it as an interface between Outlook and Evernote to do a copy & paste into the WP and save the resulting file in the Note.  You may even find that copy/ pasting into the WP will take out whatever extraneous characters are causing the problem and show your copy accurately,  so copy to WP and copy paste again to/ from the destination...

Hey all - 

I've been having this same 'extra bullet point' problem for a bit now, and finally figured out a work-around. 

From the desktop version, if you go to the 'FORMAT' tab and select 'SIMPLIFY FORMATTING' (apparently also CTRL + SPACE), and then send it as email to Outlook, the bullets are gone!

I've tried it out a couple times and it does seem to work!

-JSA

I've recently begun using Evernote for much more than I had been.  Having all of my content on all my devices is incredibly useful.  Unfortunately I've run into exactly the same problem that's being discussed here (and in several other threads as well).  Copying from Evernote PC (v 5) and Office 10 (Word, Outlook, PPT) causes formatting to become very screwed up.  Bullet lists mis-formatted, fonts and font sizes seemingly randomly changed, etc.  Since my adoption of Evernote for increased use a work, I really need these features.  My current workaround has been to select the text pasted from Evernote in my Office application and then to reformat the font and size (at minimum) and manually fix any other issues like incorrect bullet lists.  As noted by JSA, the Simplify Formatting does seem to help with misformatted bullets at least most of the time (but it's still a pain).  I have to +1 the other comments that say that when to copy/paste from one PC application that supports rich text formatting into another one on the same platform that also does, the formatting should be correctly carried over.  I've honestly hardly ever had to deal with this in any other PC applications - they nearly all work 100% correctly (at least for simple stuff like this).

I should also note that I have the same general issue copy/pasting between Evernote and browser based application (e.g., Gmail), where once again formatting in copy/paste from other apps works correctly.  This is not just on the PC.  Same issue on the iPad and iPhone versions where copy/paste from Evernote to browser apps (and other iOS native apps like Gmail) have the same problem.  

I love Evernote for everything else that it does for me, but really hope that this is something that's being addressed in future versions

- Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same issue for years. I chatted with support and they claim it is a know bug and that they are working on it. They could not give a timeline as to when it would be fixed, however. The response was pretty lame. I have been using Evernote for 7 years now and love it but the need to reformat notes is problematic.

Actually, the bullet/formatting issue between Evernote and Outlook may be the deal breaker that prohibits our company of 50 people from using Evernote for Business. Too bad - I really want this to work! Anyone out there listening?!?

Bryan

Hey all - 

I've been having this same 'extra bullet point' problem for a bit now, and finally figured out a work-around. 

From the desktop version, if you go to the 'FORMAT' tab and select 'SIMPLIFY FORMATTING' (apparently also CTRL + SPACE), and then send it as email to Outlook, the bullets are gone!

I've tried it out a couple times and it does seem to work!

-JSA

Good to know there is a workaround.  

• 3 months later...

I've had this issue for a while as well and agree with the sentiments: Evernote is great, but this is truly a deal-breaking flaw.

I get the feeling that it is a Microsoft bug though.. I tested it out, and both Apple Mail for iOS7 and Gmail render shares and copy/pastes of bulleted notes from Evernote perfectly fine. It seems as though only Outlook(2010) has this problem.

I don't have Outlook 2013 yet, but I hope they've solved this problem.

I have had issues copy and pasting from Evernote into Microsoft Word for Mac, and the issue sounds similar to your Outlook for Windows problem. 

You can try Paste and Match Style... I don't know what the Windows hotkey is, but that resolves my issues pasting into Word. 

I've had this issue for a while as well and agree with the sentiments: Evernote is great, but this is truly a deal-breaking flaw.

I get the feeling that it is a Microsoft bug though.. I tested it out, and both Apple Mail for iOS7 and Gmail render shares and copy/pastes of bulleted notes from Evernote perfectly fine. It seems as though only Outlook(2010) has this problem.

I have Office 2013 and the latest version of Evernote (5.2.1) and the problem still exists. Extra bullets issue is still there and the font size isn't used in the paste (e.g., Tahoma 10 in Evernote pastes as Tahoma 13.5 in Office). Problem exists both in Word and Outlook

I have Office 2013 and the latest version of Evernote (5.2.1) and the problem still exists. Extra bullets issue is still there and the font size isn't used in the paste (e.g., Tahoma 10 in Evernote pastes as Tahoma 13.5 in Office). Problem exists both in Word and Outlook

did you try my "paste and match style" suggestion? That has often worked for me when extra bullets appear. 

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

There have been improvements with indenting and bullets,  but pasting from other formats and converting to an Evernote note is still a complex and occasionally glitchy process.  Removing formatting just makes it easier.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem and hope they are trying to fix it. I spend too much time reformatting to email out my notes. Simplify formatting does work to fix the extra bullet problem, but it still changes my font to 13.5 (but this is quick to fix so I can live with it). Remembering to simplify formatting each time I send a note shouldn't be necessary, though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm so surprised and disappointed that this is still an issue after so long.

When I need to take my note content and post it into an email I find my self going to Google Docs, pasting it into a document there, and then copying it pasting it from there to my email or Word document.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, feldpauschRVA said:

Is there a way to have "simply formatting" happen or be set as a default or does it have to be selected every time you want to email a note?

There is no option for automatic application of "simplify formatting".

It is only needed when you copy, or web clip, text that contains complicated formatting.  When you use the Web Clipper, you can choose "Simplified Article" which may help.

On Tuesday, February 09, 2016 at 9:55 PM, JMichaelTX said:

There is no option for automatic application of "simplify formatting".

It is only needed when you copy, or web clip, text that contains complicated formatting.  When you use the Web Clipper, you can choose "Simplified Article" which may help.

Apparently, as this whole thread points out, the other time you need "simplify formatting" is if you want to email a note that happens to contain a bulleted list.  I wouldn't think of a bulleted list as "complicated" but apparently it is.  It would be great if the dialog that comes up to email a note had a checkbox or something so you could simplify the formatting in the process of sending the email.

Emailing a note and having it look decent in the email application would make a number of folks pretty happy as this thread can attest.  If "simplify formatting" can accomplish that, can we somehow include "simplify formatting" into the email process?

thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue as the OP with EN 6.1.2 and Outlook 2016.

Here's my workaround:

1. Position the cursor to the right of any extra blank bullet.
  2. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-L, which removes the bad bullet
  3. Hit Delete, which removes the extra lines.

It's a pain, but manageable. 

Someone with more time than me should export to HTML and then use trial and error to edit the HTML and find out why MS Office is inserting bad bullets. Then one could do a find & replace on the HTML file to remove the bad bits.

• 7 months later...

I don't normally post to threads this old, but in this case, I think it proves a point.  Here we are in 2017 and this STILL hasn't been resolved.  3 and a half years after the original post (I'm sure the bug itself is older than that) and we're still having to rely on work-arounds and manual correction.  

Devs...please...this is a huge pain and prevents me from efficiently sharing my notes with my co-workers that are not on EN.  I am the CIO of my company.  I love the application, but until this and the clunky collaboration system have been addressed, I cannot recommend this to my organization or consider EN Business.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've posted this in a few threads around here,  so apologies if you've seen it before but:

Long story short - the original apps were developed by independent teams with instructions to 'do the best you can with your platform'.  Their designs were for basic editors without frills - little more than plain text plus any easy add-ins they could find within a deadline.  Problem was their editors were baked in platform specific code so adding further options would have been a root-and-branch exercise in Android.  And a different one for iOS,  and Mac,  Windows and Web.  

So they recoded the whole app for all OS's so that all editor modules were the same;  a 'Common Editor' with links into every OS-specific code.  Now improvements could be added to all devices at more like the same time without completely separate development teams.  It took a while,  finishing the initial releases in 2016. 

Things have gotten a little better.  They say there's more to follow...

• 2 months later...

The issue seems to be even worse on a Mac. Copy / Paste from / to a Mac just does not work: Indents disappear, bullets are messed up and a perfectly well structured email with bullet-points virtually becomes unreadable once pasted into evernote.

Really annoying and a core productivity killer. Any solution in sight? 

Outlook source.png

Evernote copy paste.png

I can't remember the last time I actually signed up to participate in a thread. I'm sorry but I just never do for some reason. But I continue to have this issue on my Mac and it is truly becoming a productivity killer, always having to try to c&p from Outlook into Word and then into EN to see if the formatting remains. I've been annoyed for years like many, suffered silently, and, for whatever reason, it hit a threshold today. Searching around, there are other similar thread along these lines for YEARS. Perhaps I missed the solution, in which I am sorry to take up space and would appreciate any guidance. Otherwise, I just want to throw my hat in the ring to say that this remains a problem; so much so, that I'm seriously considering abandoning ship.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote have been working for years on Editor issues (see my longer post above) but there's still a ways to go.  You should find this will get better,  but Evernote don't give timescales for this sort of thing...

• Level 5*
On 4/10/2017 at 4:32 AM, Hauke Hansen said:

The issue seems to be even worse on a Mac.

You should post complaints / issues / suggestions in a Mac-specific forum, probably its Product Feedback forum. This forum is Windows-specific.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 11/05/2017 at 3:58 PM, teristevens said:

Any update on this topic as I noticed most of the notes are outdated.

Hi.  The most recent comments are a month old but there have been newer version updates on most OS's since then - what's your device,  your OS and Evernote version,  and what issue are you seeing with your notes?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

FWIW - I have this same issue on Mac.  Going from Evernote app to Outlook the formatting is terrible.  I found a simple workaround by opening the web client editor and copying directly from there into my Outlook.  Hope this helps others and hopefully I am not spamming this again... read most of the thread but did not see this suggestion.

Hope we get a solution for the desktop app.  

Archived