(Archived) Evernote and ScanSnap S1500

Mikey Dread

Idea

Im a first time user so please be gentle with me if I inadvertently flout the protocol of the forum.

I have Evernote in my dock and usually with the window open. 'keep in dock' and 'open at login' are both checked.

When I scan a new document I get an additional scan to Evernote icon that appears briefly and then a brand new Evernote window opens. I now have two Evernote Icons in my dock and two Evernote windows open. The new one has the new document proudly on view while the original window that was open all the time doesn't show the new document until I sync it.

Any subsequent scans are sent to the new window, ie it doesn't open a new window for every scan.

I would like Scan snap to recognise that Evernote is already open and not open a new window when I scan a document.

Thanks in advance for any help with this irritation.

6 replies to this idea

HI Mikey,

I can't offer a specific solution but I've had this problem on my mac at various times and it has sorted itself out. I suspect it is to do with updates to Evernote and the ScanSnap software - I think the link between the applications doesn't get updated and ScanSnap opens up an older version of Evernote. I can't remember if I fixed it by associating ScanSanp with the newer version of Evernote or whether it sorted itself out with an update to Evernote.

There is a related problem I think - For the last couple of weeks I've needed have the Evernote application open when scanning otherwise it says it can't open Evernote. I've just downloaded version 5.3.0 Beta 2 and Evernote opens normally after scanning…..

If you are new to ScanSnap with Evernote, have faith, it's a great combination (and it usually works really well).

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I seem to have inadvertently solved the problem.

I had Evernote open and when I scan something it opens another Evernote, I noticed that when I scanned a second or third document it didn't keep opening new Evernotes so I deleted the original Evernote Icon and everything now works fine with just the one Evernote sitting there quite happily.

I fully agree with your sentiments on Evernote, I have used it since March 2013 and it wouldn't be exaggerating to say it has changed the way I run both my business and family life. Brilliant stuff!

Cheers Steve.

Hello. I use ScanSnap S1500 with Evernote as well. However, I scan everything to a folder and then import it to Evernote afterwards. I tried the whole scan directly to Evernote route, but scanning to a folder (I use the desktop) just means less problems. Less problems with ScanSnap and less problems with Evernote. Including, but not limited to, the ones you describe.

That is a good option to scan directly into a folder. However I think I've somehow fixed the problem with a lot more luck than judgement! see previous post

Thanks for your advice! Evernote is such a broad topic with so many uses and many different ways to use it as well.

Hello. I use ScanSnap S1500 with Evernote as well. However, I scan everything to a folder and then import it to Evernote afterwards. I tried the whole scan directly to Evernote route, but scanning to a folder (I use the desktop) just means less problems. Less problems with ScanSnap and less problems with Evernote. Including, but not limited to, the ones you describe.

I do this today on my Windows XP machine by using "Tools/Import Folders".  But I am moving my S1500 over to my Mac and was hoping to have the same function.  However, unless I'm missing something it appears the Import Folders feature is absent from the Mac version of EN.  I am able to use the ScanSnap feature "Scan to Evernote" but that drops my files into the default folder which isn't really where I'd like them.

Have you figured out how to do this automatically (import) or are you kicking this off manually each time?

Hi, jelake. Evernote on Mac and PC are definitely different. What you ask is not available in the current version on Mac. But you can use Hazel, or learn Applescript to do what you want. 

That approach solves another problem. It allows you to control how to scan using ScanSnap's profile, which lets you control one versus two sided, whether to scan multiple pages into one document or one per page, etc. at the same time as designating how a file is named and what folder it ends up in.

Hazel, or Applescript, can take over from there, grabbing the file you scanned and creating a note in the desired folder, perhaps tagging it, and even deleting it from the folder that ScanSnap put it in.

See http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43176-can-i-control-the-scansnap-configuration-when-scanning-to-evernote/ for some more details.

Archived