(Archived) Searchable Audio Recordings - A Proposed Method

Hi all.

Please take a look at one of my EverNotes [here] < A Great Idea for Developers as well  >

What

I have what I think is a workable solution to recording long audio (1 or more hours) and to be able to find important information in that audio file fairly quickly and without using too much CPU power either.

Why

Often my mind wanders during meetings, or discussions, or at other times, I just don't know what someone is speaking about... ofcourse I could just ask them to explain themselves - but these days, people just don't have the time and then they despise you for taking up their time, so I look-up the terms or concepts afterwards and if I really need to, I ask that same person again, but now the question is framed in a knowledgable context and that person is more inclinded to explain things under those circumstances. (my experience anyway)

The problem with audio files, is ofcourse, finding the exact point in that hour long presentation when they explained X or Y.

If you have multiple audio files ... even worse.

How

This is basically an "idea space" that the developers might take note of, but it's a long shot and I don't know yet who to approach and how to approach them - any suggestions welcome, but I'd also like to know if folks think this idea could work.

I really struggled to find the right place to place this message, if you know of a better one, please let me know.

Kind Regards

L.

• Level 5*

Hi all.

Please take a look at one of my EverNotes [here]

What

I have what I think is a workable solution to recording long audio (1 or more hours) and to be able to find important information in that audio file fairly quickly and without using too much CPU power either.

Why

Often my mind wanders during meetings, or discussions, or at other times, I just don't know what someone is speaking about... ofcourse I could just ask them to explain themselves - but these days, people just don't have the time and then they despise you for taking up their time, so I look-up the terms or concepts afterwards and if I really need to, I ask that same person again, but now the question is framed in a knowledgable context and that person is more inclinded to explain things under those circumstances. (my experience anyway)

The problem with audio files, is ofcourse, finding the exact point in that hour long presentation when they explained X or Y.

If you have multiple audio files ... even worse.

How

This is basically an "idea space" that the developers might take note of, but it's a long shot and I don't know yet who to approach and how to approach them - any suggestions welcome, but I'd also like to know if folks think this idea could work.

I really struggled to find the right place to place this message, if you know of a better one, please let me know.

Kind Regards

L.

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Have you tried LiveScribe? I think this kind of tool and integration is exactly the kind of thing you are looking to see.

http://www.livescribe.com/store/20070723002/skypensonly/2gb-sky-wifi-smartpen-w-evernote-premium/p-618.htm

@GrumpyMonkey

Thanks for the feedback.

LiveScribe is awesome for it's intended purpose, which is specific to a certain environment. (Classroom, boardroom)

However, I would not be inclined to take the special LiveScribe Notepad paper and the LiveScribe pen with me everywhere I go,

unlike my smartphone which is on par with my wallet in terms of (don't-leave-home-without-it).

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey

Thanks for the feedback.

LiveScribe is awesome for it's intended purpose, which is specific to a certain environment. (Classroom, boardroom)

However, I would not be inclined to take the special LiveScribe Notepad paper and the LiveScribe pen with me everywhere I go,

unlike my smartphone which is on par with my wallet in terms of (don't-leave-home-without-it).

Well, it is kind of tough to take notes on the Smartphone, in my opinion. But, if you are using an iPad, then you might want to check out Notability. When you are finished with a note, I think all of the data can be exported to Evernote.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability-take-notes-annotate/id360593530?mt=8

If you pair a bluetooth keyboard with your iPhone, you might be able to use it, but I have not done this myself, so I cannot say for sure.

Archived