Page camera cuts off portions of image IOS

I've been taking photos through evernote using the page camera of slides.  Sometimes it randomly cuts off portions of the slides, sometimes it works perfectly.  As far as I can tell, I'm not doing anything differently between when it works and when it doesn't.  Is this a bug or am I missing something about how to take the photos sometimes without realizing it?  Also, I turn the flash off but when it is not in the process of photographing, the flash's light stays on constantly...like a flashlight.  I'm using an iphone 4s with iOS 6.1.3.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

In the absence of any other replies to your post,  it looks like this is a pretty unusual problem..  best advice is often to uninstall and reinstall the app and see whether that fixes issues.  And raise a support ticket (see below) in case they have any better ideas...

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. The page camera behaves unpredictably and takes some poor quality images and most of the time it clips the edge of pages making it unusable.  I have removed and re-installed the app and there is no improvement. Looks like I need to raise a support ticket.

• 7 months later...

I just found this topic because I have the same experience and wondered why.  I just took a doc photo and it came out with the top inch cut off and placed at the bottom of the page.  Very weird.  I went back and took it again and it worked.  Not a problem, just so you guys know that this happens.

• 2 weeks later...

The page camera performs edge detection and cropping in a similar way as the business card camera.  If the document you are photographing has strong lines or borders in the document, it may be that these may be fooling our algorithms into thinking the document is smaller than it actually is.  However this is hard to diagnose without images of the document taken with and without the page camera.  

If this is a consistent problem, I would recommend that you contact support via the links below so that you can provide these image samples privately and our R&D devs can analyze and tell what the exact problem is.  

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this problem.  When I want to take a photo of an A4 document using document camera it crops the image to a square so removing the top and bottom section but maintaining the white crispness of the paper, when I take a normal photo in evernote, the dimensions remain correct but I have to make do with a bad image quality.  Can\t seem to work out how to do the taking a document photo which remains white and is the correct dimensions for A4 paper

anyone help?

• Level 5*

I also have this problem.  When I want to take a photo of an A4 document using document camera it crops the image to a square so removing the top and bottom section but maintaining the white crispness of the paper, when I take a normal photo in evernote, the dimensions remain correct but I have to make do with a bad image quality.  Can\t seem to work out how to do the taking a document photo which remains white and is the correct dimensions for A4 paper

anyone help?

See the post immediately above yours...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting this issue a lot, almost always with pages that have strong lines or borders. One "solution" I've found is, oddly, to take the photo upside-down (and then rotate on the desktop) - if I do that, the iOS camera seems to manage to ignore the "internal" borders.

Mind you, I'm not sure what doing that does to the document/OCR aspect of scanning.

Of course, you can also just keep re-taking the photo, but that often doesn't make a difference.

Archived