Notebook from Online to Local (preserving links)

Rafal108

Hi there, (Win 8 / En4)

Is there a way to switch from the online to local notebook? 

I have build database with clients info in local notebook including links, base working similar to wiki.

Now due to security issues I thought that it would be better to keep those info in local notebook (safer protection before hackers etc)

When I just move the notes (with links) to local notebooks the links doesn't work, hence the only solution would be to make the whole thing again in local (links connection). 

Is there any other way?

Thank you, Rafal

Hi there, (Win 8 / En4)

I have build database with clients info in local notebook including links, base working similar to wiki.

Now due to security issues I thought that it would be better to keep those info in local notebook (safer protection before hackers etc)

When I just move the notes (with links) to local notebooks the links doesn't work, hence the only solution would be to make the whole thing again in local (links connection). 

Is there any other way?

Thank you, Rafal

First, no, notebooks cannot be changed from sync'd to local or vice versa.  This is pointed out to the user in a dialog box when creating the notebook, at least on the Windows client.

Second, even if you could, the note links would not work anyway, since note links are dependent upon GUIDs which can/do change when a note is moved from a sync'd note to a non-sync'd note & vice versa.  This is evidenced by the fact that when you create a new note in a sync'd notebook in your desktop client, if you try to copy the note link before the note has been sync'd, the app actually does a sync before it returns the note link to you.

You could use tags to tie the notes together.  Or a workaround is to use a unique number to identify notes you want tied together.  I use the password generator tool in Roboform but you can use an online (free) random number/password generator, as long as the result is a unique number to your system.  I take the "password" & make an entry into all the notes like this:

Reference # my_random_number

Once I see one note I'm looking for, I know to search EN on that reference number in order to find all the notes that are "linked".  I used this method before EN incorporated note links.  I still use it fairly often b/c I have multiple accounts & share notebooks between some of them.  So when I'm in account B & am working on some notes that I want to link together & that will eventually be transferred over to account A, the EN copy note links won't transfer between the accounts.  I initially tried using the sharing option to get note URLs, but they are very long & I don't want all my notes to be publicly available, eventhough the chances of anyone stumbling upon them is slim to none. 

Neither of these methods work as the EN note links does. 

Hi there, (Win 8 / En4)

Is there any other way?

Thank you, Rafal

First, no, notebooks cannot be changed from sync'd to local or vice versa.  This is pointed out to the user in a dialog box when creating the notebook, at least on the Windows client.

Second, even if you could, the note links would not work anyway, since note links are dependent upon GUIDs which can/do change when a note is moved from a sync'd note to a non-sync'd note & vice versa.  This is evidenced by the fact that when you create a new note in a sync'd notebook in your desktop client, if you try to copy the note link before the note has been sync'd, the app actually does a sync before it returns the note link to you.

You could use tags to tie the notes together.  Or a workaround is to use a unique number to identify notes you want tied together.  I use the password generator tool in Roboform but you can use an online (free) random number/password generator, as long as the result is a unique number to your system.  I take the "password" & make an entry into all the notes like this:

Reference # my_random_number

Once I see one note I'm looking for, I know to search EN on that reference number in order to find all the notes that are "linked".  I used this method before EN incorporated note links.  I still use it fairly often b/c I have multiple accounts & share notebooks between some of them.  So when I'm in account B & am working on some notes that I want to link together & that will eventually be transferred over to account A, the EN copy note links won't transfer between the accounts.  I initially tried using the sharing option to get note URLs, but they are very long & I don't want all my notes to be publicly available, eventhough the chances of anyone stumbling upon them is slim to none. 

Neither of these methods work as the EN note links does. 

Thank you. I am doing it again in local now (sixth hour now) ;)

.  I initially tried using the sharing option to get note URLs, but they are very long & I don't want all my notes to be publicly available, eventhough the chances of anyone stumbling upon them is slim to none. 

Could you explain why it is 'slim to none'?

.  I initially tried using the sharing option to get note URLs, but they are very long & I don't want all my notes to be publicly available, eventhough the chances of anyone stumbling upon them is slim to none.

If I generate a shared URL for an Evernote note, the URLs are very, very long.  As long as I don't share that URL with anyone other than another one of my notes, I'd venture to say it's impossible for someone to simply "guess" or stumble upon the URL.  Someone would need to be actively generating possible URLS & checking to see if they exist.  So yes, it's probably possible for a hacker to use a ton of CPU cycles & some automated program & find my shared note.  But I'd say it's very unlikely.  Compound that with the fact that my shared notes do not contain sensitive data.  So in the unlikely chance someone did find my shared note, it's probably going to be of very little interest to them.

If I generate a shared URL for an Evernote note, the URLs are very, very long.  As long as I don't share that URL with anyone other than another one of my notes, I'd venture to say it's impossible for someone to simply "guess" or stumble upon the URL.  Someone would need to be actively generating possible URLS & checking to see if they exist.  So yes, it's probably possible for a hacker to use a ton of CPU cycles & some automated program & find my shared note.  But I'd say it's very unlikely.  Compound that with the fact that my shared notes do not contain sensitive data.  So in the unlikely chance someone did find my shared note, it's probably going to be of very little interest to them.

Thank you. Also when building the link-database in local notebook is bit scary for me, let's say that EN one day will remove the option of local notebooks or links within them, then I cannot move it to online notebook, I cannot export it to some other environment, basically I cannot do nothing and will be forced to do everything from the scratch.

• 2 months later...

I just switched computers and had to move local notebooks from the old computer to the new computer.  The problem is that ALL of my links in the my local notebooks were broken.  Nothing worked with basically was going to render Evernote useless since I rely heavily on links.  This after I exported my local notebooks in .enex format and did the import.  However, I did come up with a solution.  Sorry guys, no Apple products are allowed in this household.  Windows/Android only!  The following is for Windows 

1. Do a final sync on the old computer
  2. Exit Evernote.  Be sure to go to the System tray and exit Evernote services from there also
  3. Navigate to the %appdata% path on the computer (if you don't see an Evernote folder, back up one level to try the 'Locals' folder)
  4. Copy the entire Evernote folder and subfolders out to a holding area (external drive, usb drive, network drive, etc.)
  5. On the new computer, be sure Evernote is NOT running nor the services
  6. Navigate to the %appdata% path on the computer (if you don't see an Evernote folder, back up one level to try the 'Locals' folder)
  7. Copy the folder you exported earlier right over the folder you currently have.  Select 'overwrite' all files.
  8. Restart Evernote on the new computer.  It took a few seconds for it to reload.  I guess it figured out something was wrong and probably did an autofix.
  9. On my computer, I had to relog into Evernote because it wouldn't properly sync, but afterwards everything worked including local links.

I will probably discuss this with Evernote tomorrow.

I just switched computers and had to move local notebooks from the old computer to the new computer. The problem is that ALL of my links in the my local notebooks were broken. Nothing worked with basically was going to render Evernote useless since I rely heavily on links. This after I exported my local notebooks in .enex format and did the import. However, I did come up with a solution. Sorry guys, no Apple products are allowed in this household. Windows/Android only! The following is for Windows

• Do a final sync on the old computer
  • Exit Evernote. Be sure to go to the System tray and exit Evernote services from there also
  • Navigate to the %appdata% path on the computer (if you don't see an Evernote folder, back up one level to try the 'Locals' folder)
  • Copy the entire Evernote folder and subfolders out to a holding area (external drive, usb drive, network drive, etc.)
  • On the new computer, be sure Evernote is NOT running nor the services
  • Navigate to the %appdata% path on the computer (if you don't see an Evernote folder, back up one level to try the 'Locals' folder)
  • Copy the folder you exported earlier right over the folder you currently have. Select 'overwrite' all files.
  • Restart Evernote on the new computer. It took a few seconds for it to reload. I guess it figured out something was wrong and probably did an autofix.
  • On my computer, I had to relog into Evernote because it wouldn't properly sync, but afterwards everything worked including local links.

I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss with Evernote. It has been repeatedly pointed out on the board that the correct way to backup/restore (which is what you're essentially doing when moving to a different computer) the Windows desktop client database is to copy/paste the exb file. (Please search the board for more info, should you need it). And that exporting to enex is not a backup/restore method but rather a way to restore *selected* notes from a backup or move notes to a different account. Additionally, when copying/pasting the exb file, all note links remain intact.

BTW, the only file you need to copy/paste is the exb file, not all the additional files in the various EN folders. Again, please search the board for more info, as this has been discussed several times.

Furthermore, when importing from an enex file, any notes moved to sync'd notebooks go against your monthly upload limit. Whereas when restoring by copying the exb file, those notes do not, since they are not reuploaded to the EN servers. I know this is not your scenario, but I'm pointing this out for anyone reading this thread in the future.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a really old thread, but it addresses an issue I still struggle with...

After reading a How-To Geek article the difference between exporting copies of my notes versus creating a true back-up I could use to fully restore my EN Database if ever needed, is finally starting to make sense. I think...

I like that Copy & Pasting the .exb file (on Windows) will preserve my Notebooks, Tags and Note Links, so thanks you for that BNF!

One thing I'm still not clear on us will this also preserve clickable weblinks? As in links to web pages not other EN Notes, which are preserved in a clickable form, right?

Argh, starting to confuse myself again...

I just switched computers and had to move local notebooks from the old computer to the new computer. The problem is that ALL of my links in the my local notebooks were broken. Nothing worked with basically was going to render Evernote useless since I rely heavily on links. This after I exported my local notebooks in .enex format and did the import. However, I did come up with a solution. Sorry guys, no Apple products are allowed in this household. Windows/Android only! The following is for Windows

• Do a final sync on the old computer
  • Exit Evernote. Be sure to go to the System tray and exit Evernote services from there also
  • Copy the entire Evernote folder and subfolders out to a holding area (external drive, usb drive, network drive, etc.)
  • On the new computer, be sure Evernote is NOT running nor the services
  • Copy the folder you exported earlier right over the folder you currently have. Select 'overwrite' all files.
  • Restart Evernote on the new computer. It took a few seconds for it to reload. I guess it figured out something was wrong and probably did an autofix.
  • On my computer, I had to relog into Evernote because it wouldn't properly sync, but afterwards everything worked including local links.
I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss with Evernote. It has been repeatedly pointed out on the board that the correct way to backup/restore (which is what you're essentially doing when moving to a different computer) the Windows desktop client database is to copy/paste the exb file. (Please search the board for more info, should you need it). And that exporting to enex is not a backup/restore method but rather a way to restore *selected* notes from a backup or move notes to a different account. Additionally, when copying/pasting the exb file, all note links remain intact.

BTW, the only file you need to copy/paste is the exb file, not all the additional files in the various EN folders. Again, please search the board for more info, as this has been discussed several times.

Furthermore, when importing from an enex file, any notes moved to sync'd notebooks go against your monthly upload limit. Whereas when restoring by copying the exb file, those notes do not, since they are not reuploaded to the EN servers. I know this is not your scenario, but I'm pointing this out for anyone reading this thread in the future.

Archived