Exporting note to pdf including inline pdfs on Mac

Hello!

I've been trying to do something which I thought would be very simple - exporting a note I have to a pdf (on a mac). This is in principle straightforward (by printing the note to pdf). However, to my surprise I found that inline pdfs aren't being printed out into the exported pdf.

It seems bizarre that this doesn't work. I had to do the export anyhow so I spent the next hour opening each inline pdf, saving it as png, pasting it in and deleting the old pdf.

There must be a better way to do it, but I couldn't find one googling/looking through the forums. Exporting to html and then printing that to pdf doesn't help either. Does anyone know how to do it properly?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Sorry but I don't think that's possible on any platform.  You can print a note,  and you can open and print the attached PDFs individually,  but there's no way (as yet) to do it all in one go.

Thats really a shame.

It basically means that I can't share most of my notes if the person I want to share it with doesn't use Evernote. This seriously limits the utility of Evernote for me, just as I was started getting used to the program...

Is there any official way to make an improvement request?

• Level 5*

Basically you already have - the developers read these pages for suggestions and ideas. 

You could always share the note via its public URL - not exactly secure,  but you do have the "purloined letter" thing that your data (if its not too personal / critical) is lost withing the millions of documents online,  and no-one knows your URL except the person you send it to..  and anyone they send it to.. and their friends...

:)

• 3 months later...

I don't know when this change BUT THINGS ARE BETTER, at least on the Mac.

There is now a context menu option (ctrl-click) for "Convert Note to PDF". 

When you click this, it creates a new note in your default Evernote folder and have an embedded PDF, with all the same goodness as the original. In this new note-as-PDF, there is a 'Save As' icon within the note where you can save the note as a PDF. 

The saved PDF appears to have all the high fidelity of the original PDF, such as full resolution of embedded pictures, etc.

Nice!

Pj.

• 2 months later...

mmm... I've been waiting for ages for inline pdf's to be printed on the Mac.

So this new export feature does work, but why is it implemented in this way?  It chews up your allowance by replicating everything again in a new note.  I'd much prefer if this feature would just Save As... in the usual way.

So nice, but no cigar

• 1 month later...

Has this feature been removed again? This is exactly what I've been looking for but I just can't find it. I've got the standalone mac version 5.5, newest version. 

Anybody who can help please? thanks!

You need to right click (or control+click) in the individual note and chose the option to convert the note to PDF from the popup.

Has this feature been removed again? This is exactly what I've been looking for but I just can't find it. I've got the standalone mac version 5.5, newest version. 

Anybody who can help please? thanks!

You need to right click (or control+click) in the individual note and chose the option to convert the note to PDF from the popup.

I don't see that option when I right click on a note. I'm using the evernote desktop app on the mac if that makes a difference. Any ideas?

• 8 months later...

So this feature has been removed from the latest mac client and is not available on the web interface either.

It is deeply frustrating.

All I want to do is convert the thing I can see on the screen when I open a note (ie all the pdfs expanded) and be able to save/export that as a pdf.

I use evernote for expenses (I don't think I'm the only one doing that....) and expenses come in the form of photos, email invoices and pdf invoices.  I need evernote to be able to print them.

By the way, it works on the windows client (or ir did at least a few months ago last time I used windows).

• Level 5*

Export note to PDF has never worked on the Windows client unless you had a PDF editor installed (like Adobe Acrobat) when you could print to PDF.  I'd doubt it worked in Mac either unless a similar editor was installed.

Hello!

I've been trying to do something which I thought would be very simple - exporting a note I have to a pdf (on a mac). This is in principle straightforward (by printing the note to pdf). However, to my surprise I found that inline pdfs aren't being printed out into the exported pdf.

It seems bizarre that this doesn't work. I had to do the export anyhow so I spent the next hour opening each inline pdf, saving it as png, pasting it in and deleting the old pdf.

There must be a better way to do it, but I couldn't find one googling/looking through the forums. Exporting to html and then printing that to pdf doesn't help either. Does anyone know how to do it properly?

Thanks!

I am using EN 5.6.0 Direct.

Yosemite 10.10

The best I can do is;

Right Click in the body of the Note

Choose Convert to PDF

It creates a New Note with a PDF of the original Note.  

Then Drag-n-Drop the PDF from the Note wherever you want to, such as your Desktop.

I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

If I understand the problem correctly, I may have a suggested workaround.

1. Place all notes that you want in a single notebook.

2. Export notes to a HTML page.

3. Print this web page to PDF using your print dialog options. 

This will create a PDF with all your notes.

Biggest problem is that you need to move your notes into a new notebook, which is time consuming, and something you may not want to do...

• 5 months later...

To export a .pdf note in Evernote to a non-Evernote pdf file on a mac:  this works for me:

Right-click (control-click) in the body of the note and select "Open With - Preview"

In Preview, under "File" select "Export as PDF," choose a meaningful name and desired location, and execute. 

I'm using OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4, and Evernote Version 6.0.16 (451861 Direct)

• 11 months later...

Just tried this, and had a jumbled result. 4 pages, scanned and arranged in proper order in Preview, but using the arrow icon to send to Evernote, the four came out of order. Disappointingly long time to save some paper from my life…

p.s. I could reorder in Evernote w/cut and paste, but…

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, VitalVet said:

Just tried this, and had a jumbled result. 4 pages, scanned and arranged in proper order in Preview, but using the arrow icon to send to Evernote, the four came out of order. Disappointingly long time to save some paper from my life…

Hi.  What was your source material exactly?  Are you converting typed notes to PDF or trying to save pages into Evernote?  This thread is about getting content out of Evernote...

7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What was your source material exactly?  Are you converting typed notes to PDF or trying to save pages into Evernote?  This thread is about getting content out of Evernote...

Oh, sorry. My source is scanned magazine pages, collated in Preview, then exported to Evernote. If there's a better thread or I need to start a new one, please advise. Closest I could find in searching the forum.

• Level 5*

@VitalVet - I'm not a Mac user,  so can't really help you on the tech side,  but normally I'd get all my pages collated by the scanner into one PDF and then moved into Evernote.  Maybe one of the Mac users around here can help if there's a better way.  Meantime I'll see if we can get these posts moved to their own thread...

• Level 5*
On July 29, 2016 at 4:20 AM, VitalVet said:

Uou're right, I was able to duplicate this
- I imported 4 files (pdf and img) into preview
- Sent the 4 four files as a group to Evernote
- Evernote combined them into one note, but the order seemed random

You can compare this to the result when you sent to mail instead of evernote
Mail preserves the order

If you want to open a support ticket, there's a link below in my signature

Contact Evernote Support   

Archived