(Archived) Sync Problem & How to locate Evernote files on phone harddrive

saz

I primarily use Evernote on my phone (HTC One, Android v4.1.2) and recently my phone has stopped syncing to the server. Here is the error message:

Last sync failed at: 6 Aug 12:41

columns note_guid, tag_guid are not unique (code 19)

My initial problem is that I can't see how to fix this. I have updated to the latest Evernote version, my phone has the latest Android version available, I have restarted my phone. The next stage is for me to uninstall and reinstall the application. But I have another problem!

I have over a hundred unsynced notes on my phone that I need to backup first. This is because they will be deleted when I uninstall and reinstall. However, on my HTC One, Evernote does not seem to have a 'Evernote' folder! (My previous phone did, in device/sdcard/Evernote/). This phone has storage/sdcard0/ but I can't find an Evernote folder.

Can someone please inform me where the folder for the local Evernote notes is on the HTC One? 

Many thanks!

I submitted a ticket a few days ago for the 'how to sync' part of my problem (#103893). I'm hoping if I post here, someone can give me a tip on the second part, too!

I found the Evernote folder on my HTC One:

/sdcard/Android/data/com.evernote/files/user-XXXXXXX/

where the XXXXXXX is a 7-digit ID number.

There are 4 folders:

unsaved_notes is empty.

notes has only 1650 items.

thumbdb has 2 items.

Temp has 2 items.

I want to backup the notes, but I do not think this folder holds all of them! On my phone's Evernote app I have 2558 notes.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know why there is this difference. Why can't I see 2558 items in the notes folder on my phone's sd card?

Thanks.

There should be a dot file named something like .external-444444444-Evernote.db in that user folder (where 4444444 is the user id). That dot file is likely not visible to you in whatever file explorer you are using. The file itself is an SQLite3 database. There will also be a corresponding .db-journal file along with it.

You can use something like aSQLiteManager to open it up and look at the notes table inside the database or issue a query like select count(*) from notes; to get the count of notes in your database.

Scott

Thanks, Scott! That's a huge help. I did exactly what you said and I have 2566 notes in my database. I'm not sure where the extra six notes came from, though!

I have backed up the database and the other folders.

Instead of uninstalling, I just deleted the local data (Settings>Apps>Evernote>Clear data) then logged into the app again to sync the web notes. That solved my initial 'sync' issue. 

There should be a dot file named something like .external-444444444-Evernote.db in that user folder (where 4444444 is the user id). That dot file is likely not visible to you in whatever file explorer you are using. The file itself is an SQLite3 database. There will also be a corresponding .db-journal file along with it.

You can use something like aSQLiteManager to open it up and look at the notes table inside the database or issue a query like select count(*) from notes; to get the count of notes in your database.

Scott

I also received the following note via email from Evernote Support, which said pretty much what I thought they'd say. Uninstall and reinstall. I didn't need to do that to fix things, though. I just cleared data as mentioned above. 

We're sorry you're having issues with Evernote for Android.

To get your Evernote client functioning as soon as possible, please sign out of your account in the upper left and wait for it to close completely. Reboot your Android device and sign back in to Evernote. However, this will cause you to lose any changes that have not yet been uploaded.*

If you're still experiencing issues, we believe that reinstalling the latest version of the Android client may address your issue.

* Please uninstall the Android client

* Reboot (power cycle) your device. This will remove any unsynced notes, so be sure to save any important unsynced data first*.

* Visit the Android Market and search for "Evernote" to download and install the latest Application.
Please let us know if you have any further issues.

*If you are an advanced user, you may preserve your Pending notes by performing the following steps:

Mount the SD card to your desktop computer and look in:/sdcard/Evernote/user###/notes/. You'll find a series of subdirectories containing HTML versions of your notes with .enml extensions. You can copy this folder to your desktop computer. You will need to rename the .enml files to .html first, then you can open them in your browser and "Clip" them into Evernote.

Archived