(Archived) Thin Scroll Bar in Windows 5.0

Tom Maddox

On Windows 7, Evernote desktop client 5.0--I hate the ultra-thin left scrollbar. In fact, I dislike the new! improved! UI design immensely--it makes me snowblind, metaphorically speaking--but that's neither here nor there. The scroll bar, on the other hand, is a usability issue. It's too thin for easy use, especially when I'm somewhere in the midst of a whole bunch of notes or tags. It's just a very light grey, very thin vertical bar, and so putting the cursor where it needs to be to scroll is too much of a task. (See attached screen clip for example.)

Is there any way to change the color scheme? Or the default width of the scrollbar?

If this is a dumb question, so be it. I don't mind looking foolish if I can get an answer.

Thanks,

Tom Maddox

post-113276-0-42553200-1375590336_thumb.

• Level 5

No it is not a dumb question. This problem has been voiced by several other users.

My question is how did something this obviously wrong get passed the quality control people at Evernote?

• Level 5*

It'd be good to remember that the version 5 for Windows is in beta, and while beta *should* mean that the release is feature-complete (i.e., all features are in the product in some form), some issues may still exist and some features may be in transition as feedback comes in. And this is fine feedback.

Conversely, it just may be that that's exactly what the designers want (i.e a choice, and not a bug/wrong)

Aside from that, I don't know of any way to change these settings; there may be a registry setting for either/both but I don't know of any.

Aside from that, I don't know of any way to change these settings; there may be a registry setting for either/both but I don't know of any.

Sometimes I feel that is a subtle shout for me to go looking :P

Regardless, into the registry I delve...not too hopeful though, as I don't recall anything off hand.

EDIT: Nothing that I can see unfortunately.

• Level 5*

Scott, I figure if anyone outside of Evernote would know, you would, though in truth, I'm not that subtle. :)

I didn't see anything in the registry myself, and ProcMon was taking too long for the time I had allotted to going that route.

don't like the thin scroll bars either, maybe if they contrasted more they would work but they slow down grabbing them with the mouse or figuring out where you are

In fact now you mention it there's an irritating design inconsistency at least when I'm using on my netbook, the notebook scroll bar is like this

the note list scroll bar (in list view) is like this:

and the actual scroll bar in a long note is like this:

oh I was going to show you but I can't see how to upload my screenshots.

Any way the note one is is the thinnest and worst, the notebook one isn't too bad but the whole monochrome thing doesn't do anything for me and the note list one seems to be just like the last version.

post-49419-0-81126800-1376146797_thumb.p

post-49419-0-23973400-1376146820.png

post-49419-0-66987200-1376146820_thumb.p

Glad to know others are having problems with this. I keep accidentally clicking on notebooks and dragging them all over the place. It's like threading a needle every time you want to scroll down through your lists. The sooner they fix this woe, the better, in my view.

• 6 months later...

Archived