(Archived) (Archived) Evernote Encryption Problems

Mikeee

I use Evernote on my Windows desktop and laptop computers, and on my Android phone. I see real problems with how Evernote handles encryption, which would prevent me from buying the premium version, and perhaps cause me to switch to a different notes app. I notice that others on this forum have complained about it too, and wonder when Evernote plans to fix it.

First of all, that one can only select text and have that text encrypted. I don't know if anyone really only encrypts part of a note. I guess if anyone does, they can keep that capability, but there certainly should be the capability to encrypt whole notes, rather than selected text. Sure, one can select all the text in a note, then choose for it to be encrypted. But what about when one later adds text to that note? One should be able to encrypt a note, and no matter what one adds or changes about it, that note is encrypted.

Furthermore, still more serious, encryption only seems to work on the desktop program. I have an encrypted note (well, all the text was selected and encrypted), created on the desktop. I can read it on my ANdroid phone, by typing in the password. However, I tried to add to that encrypted note on the phone. That seemed to close the note, but then added extra text, which is not encrypted. I saw no way to add that to the rest of the note, which is encrypted. Furthermore, when I open that note on the desktop, that text I added on the pnone does not appear at all. It still appears on the phone, but separate, not encrypted like the rest.

There really needs to be the capability to encrypt a note (on devices as well as on the desktop), and any text added to that note on any platform is automatically encrypted, part of that encrypted note.

When will the encryption problems of Evernote be fixed?

• Level 5*

Encryption has been done to extinction in numerous other threads on the forums,  but the bottom line is: what you currently see is what you get.  Evernote don't normally publish their plans,  so if they do intend to beef up the product security you'll have to wait until the launch to get any details.  Meantime it's entirely up to you whether you use the product or not.

• 4 months later...

Encryption has been done to extinction in numerous other threads on the forums,  but the bottom line is: what you currently see is what you get.  Evernote don't normally publish their plans,  so if they do intend to beef up the product security you'll have to wait until the launch to get any details.  Meantime it's entirely up to you whether you use the product or not.

Gazumped-

I don't know if you work for Evernote, If you do, that is pretty bad customer service--to say "we don't care about your concern, take it or leave it!".

It would make a whole lot more sense to be able to encrypt whole notes, not just selected text. (I would guess that many users would prefer to have that option.)

Now I just had a further problem. I opened a note of mine in which all the text was encrypted, entered the password, and could see all the text. So far, so good. Then I added a couple lines of text to the note. Being part of what I consider an encrypted note, I of course would like the new text encrypted as well. Of course though, with Evernote not being able to encrypt notes, but only selected text, that new text is not encrypted with the rest.

Therefore, I selected all the text of the note (including my new text), and right-clicked that text, expecting to see an encryption option in the context menu. But none was there. I looked in the menus at the top of the app, and could also find no encryption option. Has Evernote now totally removed the option to encrypt text from the free version? (This is version 5.0.3.1614 for Windows.)

• Level 5*

I don't work for Evernote - read my signature.  And I didn't say "we don't care";  I pointed out the facts that WYSIWYG:  that Evernote don't normally talk about plans in the pipeline:  and that this has all been discussed at great length before.  My encryption is still working fine in Windows 5.1.0,  and I have added text to encrypted paragraphs without finding any problems.  I'd suggest you select another note and then go back to your encrypted text.  If necessary try copying the text to another paragraph then adding your edits and encrypting it all..

Archived