(Archived) evernote ios and real world note entry - sloooooooooow!

konnektor

i'm using evernote premium on an iphone. it's a slow iphone (3GS), but still...

here's a roughly averaged time it takes to go from launching 3 note apps to seeing the first text character in a new note:

ios notes: 2.3 seconds

simplenote: 2.4 seconds

evernote: 10.8 seconds (password not activated)

even when evernote is already running, the time to go from "create new text note" to seeing the first character can be approaching 10 seconds, with the wait for "tap to edit body text" permission to appear, and sometimes having to press it twice while the note location updates itself.

there are only 2 reasons for opening evernote: to create a new note, edit an existing note, or view a note.

on ios, for me the most common one by far is to create a new note. that 10 seconds can be an awfully long time while on the go, so i often end up using another app then pasting to evernote later, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a one-stop note app...

so my feature request is either to:

• have evernote do its launch sequence as quickly as the other apps

• have the option for a default "new note" on launch, ready for text input

• have a rapid and responsive "add note" button right on (in my case) the password screen.

the time to create a note at the moment is prohibitive, and i don't need to switch on the car engine and put it in gear if all i want to do is put my lunchbox in the car...

• Level 5*

i'm using evernote premium on an iphone. it's a slow iphone (3GS), but still...

here's a roughly averaged time it takes to go from launching 3 note apps to seeing the first text character in a new note:

ios notes: 2.3 seconds

simplenote: 2.4 seconds

evernote: 10.8 seconds (password not activated)

even when evernote is already running, the time to go from "create new text note" to seeing the first character can be approaching 10 seconds, with the wait for "tap to edit body text" permission to appear, and sometimes having to press it twice while the note location updates itself.

there are only 2 reasons for opening evernote: to create a new note, edit an existing note, or view a note.

on ios, for me the most common one by far is to create a new note. that 10 seconds can be an awfully long time while on the go, so i often end up using another app then pasting to evernote later, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a one-stop note app...

so my feature request is either to:

• have evernote do its launch sequence as quickly as the other apps

• have the option for a default "new note" on launch, ready for text input

• have a rapid and responsive "add note" button right on (in my case) the password screen.

the time to create a note at the moment is prohibitive, and i don't need to switch on the car engine and put it in gear if all i want to do is put my lunchbox in the car...

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I agree that the app is slower than I would like, but comparing it to a bare bones app like notes or simplenote doesn't seem fair. After all, they cannot take photos, use rich text, take audio notes, etc., etc. For this reason (and others) I have asked for a stripped down version (Evernote Unplugged?), but it is rather unlikely that the development team will agree to double their workload!

The speed issue has been around pretty much from the beginning of the Evernote app. Over the years, I think many people have turned to alternatives like FastEver. It won't help if you want to quickly view a note (one of the reasons for its speed is that it doesn't try to manage all your notes), but for note creation, it is quite fast. 

• Level 5

konnektor,

I had the same speed (and storage) problem with Evernote on my new Android mobile phone.

Finally gave up and uninstalled Evernote.

The suggested work around solution was to create multiple accounts of Evernote.

Evernote's 2nd-brain (store-everything) strategy eventually ends up bogging down most mobiles.

It will work for a few hundred or a thousand notes,but not if it is used as your primary storage location.

You'll find that you are not alone in thinking the iPhone version, especially once you have a decent amount of notes, is unbearably slow. If I need to enter some text quickly into Evernote on the go, I will always use FastEver or Drafts to send the text. For me, the delay/bugginess of trying to start a new note from the official iOS app isn't worth the hassle.

I will say that though I prefer the Drafts interface, it doesn't offer the geo-tagging on the note text. So if I want to make sure there's a location associated with my new note, I will use FastEver.

I agree. I wonder whether there are technical limits to making the app start up faster. Maybe has something to do the way NIBs/resources are loaded. I remember that the iPhone app OmniFocus (used to) start up unbearably slow. They ended up implementing a quick-capture workaround: The whole interface was shown grayed out (a static image) while the rest of the app was initializing, only the plus sign was available. Tapping it opened a bare-bones editor for quickly capturing a todo item.

And, totally unrelated to the topic:

"Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise... Two chief weapons: fear, surprise ... Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, ..."

• Level 5*

I agree. I wonder whether there are technical limits to making the app start up faster. Maybe has something to do the way NIBs/resources are loaded. I remember that the iPhone app OmniFocus (used to) start up unbearably slow. They ended up implementing a quick-capture workaround: The whole interface was shown grayed out (a static image) while the rest of the app was initializing, only the plus sign was available. Tapping it opened a bare-bones editor for quickly capturing a todo item.

And, totally unrelated to the topic:

"Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise... Two chief weapons: fear, surprise ... Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, ..."

Good idea. I think the problem might be that the app has to do 101 things, but most of the time you just want to create a note. Getting that part of the app up and running would be a huge help. At the moment, though, FastEver is fulfilling my needs just fine, and it hasn't really been much of an issue for me.

Archived