Three Easy Ways to Create Templates in Evernote

markg

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5

Why not just create a template note in a notebook 'Templates' and copy / paste that template note as often as you need? You can make the notebook or specific templates your favourites.

Pros:

• Free.
  • Fast.
  • No external actions needed.

Cons:

• ?

Good point.

I use markg's option #2, but instead of exporting a template as an .enex file to my desktop, I use your suggestion and keep the template inside Evernote.

Here is a template I copy within Evernote when I make or receive a phone call.

http://goo.gl/4MkCcX

In case you were wondering, I could use a tag, but in my Evernote a grayed-out 7777 is a code I use to find templates. And 7777P is my code for the phone template.

• 4 weeks later...

on iPad you can duplicate a note; on OSX (and probably on Win too) you can copy a note to another notebook. So, a Templates notebook can easily stand in for templates functionality. Weird enough, the Android app (on phone, don't know about tablet) lacks any duplicate/copy functionality on notes (you can copy content but that's more work than I'm willing to do).

Why not just create a template note in a notebook 'Templates' and copy / paste that template note as often as you need? You can make the notebook or specific templates your favourites.

Pros:

• Free.
  • Fast.

Cons:

• ?

One important con for me is that tags aren't copied using this approach. With an exported template, I like the idea that I can create standard tags for each of the templates and they automatically are applied to the resulting note.

• Level 5

Pros:

• Free.
  • Fast.

Cons:

• ?

One important con for me is that tags aren't copied using this approach. With an exported template, I like the idea that I can create standard tags for each of the templates and they automatically are applied to the resulting note.

In Evernote Windows ...

Tags ARE copied automatically if you use Evernote's >right click >Copy Note feature.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*

For Evernote Mac users, you may want to consider this cool AppleScript:

(see the original thread for details/options for installing)

I've made an AppleScript for creating a new note from a template. You can choose a template from a pop up list of template notes which are stored in a single template notebook. You can then choose where (in which existing notebook) to place the new note. Next you can enter a title for your new note. The script can insert a date/time stamp into your note. You can configure the name of the template notebook (default '_templates') and the value of the template tag (default 'template'). The new note can be configured to open in an existing EN window or in its own window.

You can view the code here. The script is attached.

I hope you'll find this script usefull. Please comment.

I've posted a new version of the script with a minor addition: you can now repeat the title of the note in the note's contents. This is done by putting [title] anywhere in your template. I like this, because I want the note's title repeated as the first line of a note (formatted of course). You can find new_note_from_template.scpt v1.1. here.

• 5 weeks later...

New here. Sorry if repetitive. I want to have a form up on my computer so that when I receive a call, i can insert data to a form, save it to a notebook and create additional notes from there. Each notebook would have that "form" as the incoming call log. Notebook = client. This is to keep track of price quotes. Anyone have suggestions for the form aspect or want to discuss further?

• Level 5*

Which Evernote client are you using? Windows? Mac?

On Windows, you would create a note that's a template for your form. Whenever you need a new one, you use the Copy Note function to make a copy of the empty original. and then fill it in. I'd suggest having a separate notebook for templates, and then when you create a new instance, copy it to its intended destination notebook.

• Level 5*

Yeah, in this case there's a pretty easy solution available right in Evernote, though it's a little manual (e.g. you need to remember to edit the newly created note once you've done the Copy Note operation, rather than the template), but it's serviceable for light duty. You can actually make the forms in a word processor for fancier formatting, and paste into your template note. 

• Level 5*

Another way is to export your template note to the desktop in ENEX format.  Double click on the desktop icon for the note and a new note is added to your default notebook.  Tag it and move notebook it from there.

I use a call log, I built a table in the template note.  I have a 2 screen set up so the icon is always visible on one screen (EN has a full screen).  Quick to get to and faster for me than the above mentioned copy process.

New here. Sorry if repetitive. I want to have a form up on my computer so that when I receive a call, i can insert data to a form, save it to a notebook and create additional notes from there. Each notebook would have that "form" as the incoming call log. Notebook = client. This is to keep track of price quotes. Anyone have suggestions for the form aspect or want to discuss further?

FYI, Evernote limits you to 250 notebooks, so you may want to consider using tags instead.   There is plenty of discussion on the topic already on the board.  Please use the search function for more info.

• 2 months later...

I find that there is now a way in Android Evernote to copy a template (or other) note. In a list of notes (All Notes, or a notebook) do a long-press on the note, then select Duplicate. The duplicate note includes the tags and location of the original.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WWW.BIRDFORMS.COM | Form Templates / Evernote!!!

Please sign up for free at Birdforms.com.  This is "Early Access" and the full site is not yet complete. However, you may utilize our "Free" form templates! Link your Evernote account and start sending our beautiful looking "Free" form templates directly into your Evernote account. They look GREAT! Please sign up and give us feedback. The full web site as well mobile & desktop apps are currently in process. PLEASE JOIN US! Thank you.

PS: Yes, when the website is complete you will have the ability to upload or build your own "custom forms" and send them directly into Evernote with ease. Please check us out! 

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2015 at 4:59 PM, Birdforms said:

Hello, we have completed some updates and encourage you all to sign up for free at www.birdforms.com.  Here is a quick video of our early access live environment. Please give us feedback. Email us directly at webmaster@birdforms.com or visit our web site for support. Thanks again.

https://birdforms.ti...MTUyXzE3NzUyNzk

login.birdform.com

Is this no longer available?  The website appears to be down.   I' looking for a customizable form/template creator that can be used within EN. Windows platform. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, RobD said:

I' looking for a customizable form/template creator that can be used within EN. Windows platform. 

I have found that it is easy enough to create a nice looking form using a word processor like MS Word.  

• I create a table in Word for the form, formatted as I like.
  • Then copy the table (not the file) from Word to new EN Note, which will be the "template note".
  • Assign this "template note" the tags (if any) that you'd like
  • You can either put all of your "template notes" in a Notebook, or assign them a common tag.
  • When you are ready to use, just click on the "template note", and goto menu Note > Copy To Notebook…

If you'd like to take this to the next level, you can use a tool like AutoHotKey to automate the creation of a note from a selected template.
I use Keyboard Maestro on the Mac, and it works great!

Archived