(Archived) Probably lost 1300 notes ?

Rafal108

Windows 8 / Evernote 5 Beta

I have already send the ticket but maybe you would help me faster/too.

Today I lost probably arround 1300 notes as on my unsychronized phone I got the number 3763 and my sync Ipad and web shows 2448. 
My Evernoted (v5 beta) hung and then it appeared only 4 notes in Evernote Soft (i had around 13 000 including 3700 online), and then when I wanted to quite Evernote it started to synchronizing and I saw that on my ipad the notes number was going down.  Now I dont know what to do, I see my left 2448 on my evernote web client. Should I uninstall and go back to v4? Will my local notebooks be preserved? Is there a way that the lost notes will be somehow restored (somewhere in the evernote servers) ?
Sorry for my english but i am totally in shock!
  • Level 5*

Hi - sorry for your loss,  but you really need to wait for Support to catch up with you.  There's a risk to using Beta software and you just found it.  I'd suggest that you DO NOT uninstall / reinstall or even start up any Evernote versions on any hardware. 

Have a look in your browser at Evernote.com and see what notes you have there.  If they're all present,  you have nothing to worry about - and I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

If there are any missing,  wait until you hear from Support who may be able to help.

However you recover from this,  please look around the forums for our advice on backing up your data,  and please beware Beta software - sometimes it bites!

Hi - sorry for your loss,  but you really need to wait for Support to catch up with you.  There's a risk to using Beta software and you just found it.  I'd suggest that you DO NOT uninstall / reinstall or even start up any Evernote versions on any hardware. 

Have a look in your browser at Evernote.com and see what notes you have there.  If they're all present,  you have nothing to worry about - and I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

If there are any missing,  wait until you hear from Support who may be able to help.

However you recover from this,  please look around the forums for our advice on backing up your data,  and please beware Beta software - sometimes it bites!

Thank you for quick reply. Surely I lost the notes (online) as when it started syncronizing the number of the notes on my Ipad was decreasing. As said I have 3763 notes on my phone and 2448 on my Ipad. I will wait for the support but do you know maybe if my lost notes could be somewhere in any Evernote servers to back them up or they are lost forever if lost on evernote-web-server?

• Level 5

Thank you for quick reply. Surely I lost the notes (online) as when it started syncronizing the number of the notes on my Ipad was decreasing. As said I have 3763 notes on my phone and 2448 on my Ipad. I will wait for the support but do you know maybe if my lost notes could be somewhere in any Evernote servers to back them up or they are lost forever if lost on evernote-web-server?

As Gaz suggested, go to Evernote.com with your Web-browser, sign in and see what notes you find there. The Web version is the one that everything is based on. Don't sync (yet) on any device.

Look in EN TRASH (on the Web) and you may be lucky to find your notes there. In that case everything can be retrieved.

And yes, BACKUP is vital when you work with EN in any serious manner.

Once you have cleared your current problem with support, do a backup of your database.

Wern

• Level 5*

Check on Evernote.com via your browser.  The number of notes you see is the 'official' figure - unless you were lucky and there is a backup of the server that can restore a previous total.  I have no information on that - only Support will be able to tell you.

As Gaz suggested, go to Evernote.com with your Web-browser, sign in and see what notes you find there. The Web version is the one that everything is based on. Don't sync (yet) on any device.

Look in EN TRASH (on the Web) and you may be lucky to find your notes there. In that case everything can be retrieved.

And yes, BACKUP is vital when you work with EN in any serious manner.

Once you have cleared your current problem with support, do a backup of your database.

Wern

Yes, its saying 2000 notes in trash, but I dont know how to select them all to restore, I dont see any button, also shift doesnt work..

and i have 2 days back copied the [username].exb file to another folder, is that enough to restore everything?

Try drag and drop..  (maybe set up a new notebook first,  called "restored" to drag them into ?? )

Unfortunately doesnt work, created folder, drag/drop trash icon on it, it will not copy...i dont see 'select all' button either..

Secondary question:  2 days back I copied the [username].exb file to another folder, is that enough to restore everything?

• Level 5

Well, in that case you ARE lucky.

The basic process is this:

1. Go to Trash
  2. Select the note(s) you want to restore.
  3. Right click and press Restore

Again, it may be a good idea to wait for SUPPORT response before you do anything as there might be other issues involved that you are not aware of.

And yes, if you have backed up your .exb file, you can restore your database from there.

Well, in that case you ARE lucky.

The basic process is this:

1. Go to Trash
  2. Select the note(s) you want to restore.
  3. Right click and press Restore

Again, it may be a good idea to wait for SUPPORT response before you do anything as there might be other issues involved that you are not aware of.

And yes, if you have backed up your .exb file, you can restore your database from there.

Thenk you, but they are 2000 notes...so ....i am looking for 'select all' button..

and for the exb just to be clear -- this one file is enough? because in that evernote folder there are more files and I have copied only this one.

• Level 5

First question: Do Ctrl-A

Second question: Yes, replace your current database with the username.exb backup you made. That is your database and is all you need to restore your notes.

hth

Wern

Second question: Yes, replace your current database with the username.exb backup you made. That is your database and is all you need to restore your notes.

hth

Wern

Thank you for answer for 2nd. 1st - ctrl-A doesnt work in web-client when i am in trash directory and clicking it to select all..but I think i prefer to just copy exb file and put up with loss of 2 days notes...will wait for support too. Thanks guys a lot ! I am bit more relaxed now...

• Level 5*

hth

Wern

Thank you for answer for 2nd. 1st - ctrl-A doesnt work in web-client when i am in trash directory and clicking it to select all..but I think i prefer to just copy exb file and put up with loss of 2 days notes...will wait for support too. Thanks guys a lot ! I am bit more relaxed now...

..and don't forget to do that 'copy exb' thing daily from now on ...

hth

Wern

..and don't forget to do that 'copy exb' thing daily from now on ...

Thank you! Do you always copy [username].exb it after logging out from Evernote, or to log out is not necessart and just copy? and one more thing: I have copied the .exb file whilst using v5 beta, now i want to go back to v4, will this work with v4 when i replace the exb file? 

• Level 5

How often you copy your username.exb file depends on your needs. If you feel comfortable only backing up once a week and your notes for a week are not that vital to you, then once a week is enough.

If you have a serious business going on and you depend on EN, I would backup daily.

Yes, username.exb will work with V4 and V5.

How often you copy your username.exb file depends on your needs. If you feel comfortable only backing up once a week and your notes for a week are not that vital to you, then once a week is enough.

If you have a serious business going on and you depend on EN, I would backup daily.

Yes, username.exb will work with V4 and V5.

Thank you! my question was: if you have to log out from evernote to copy the file (I was reading it somewhere in EN Tutorial, that log out is necessary to the backup becomes safe)?

my question was: if you have to log out from evernote to copy the file (I was reading it somewhere in EN Tutorial, that log out is necessary to the backup becomes safe)?

You don't need to log out. But many copy functions will not copy/backup if the file is open.  So you need to have EN fully closed.  There are some copy/backup apps that will backup an open file, but IMO, it's best to have it closed because it could possibly backup a file that's only half updated.  IE, if  you're moving several notes from one notebook to another, the copy may take place while EN is in the middle of moving the notes.  And if you had to restore from that backup file, it may be problematic.

my question was: if you have to log out from evernote to copy the file (I was reading it somewhere in EN Tutorial, that log out is necessary to the backup becomes safe)?

You don't need to log out. But many copy functions will not copy/backup if the file is open.  So you need to have EN fully closed.  There are some copy/backup apps that will backup an open file, but IMO, it's best to have it closed because it could possibly backup a file that's only half updated.  IE, if  you're moving several notes from one notebook to another, the copy may take place while EN is in the middle of moving the notes.  And if you had to restore from that backup file, it may be problematic.

Thank you!

Archived