Tags on a Mac

Cornish43

Idea

I have seen examples of Evernote tags being 'nested' which I think must have been done on a PC because when I try to do this on my Mac, it appears to be impossible.  Can someone tell me: a) is it possible to nest tags on a Mac; and B) if it is, how to do it?  I am using a MacBook Pro laptop and running Mac 0S X 10.8.4.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I have seen examples of Evernote tags being 'nested' which I think must have been done on a PC because when I try to do this on my Mac, it appears to be impossible.  Can someone tell me: a) is it possible to nest tags on a Mac; and B) if it is, how to do it?  I am using a MacBook Pro laptop and running Mac 0S X 10.8.4.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. This video ought to help.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/fa16ae3a-a7a3-429a-8fd3-1a5110d3a4c9/4dfa657fb4e46d51c808f84a40c728d9

Make sure you keep your tag names real short - or you will not be able to read them easily to sort and amend etc. Only the first few letter are shown.

This video makes it all look simple; but if you have a lot of tabs, and and any number that are more than a few letters long, you will be in trouble.

Of course with something as simple as this, it should be intuitive. One would just drag a tag in the tag list in the side bar and move it? Well, that how it USED to be, before for some reason EN decided to make it all unworkable.

That's why I'm still on v3.3 sadly.

I don't know about "nesting" tags, but I can't even figure out how to create a tag on a Mac! It used to be simple, just right click on the note, but that feature has been removed, and there is no other visible means to create a tag on a note.

Not sure if this works on every Mac but here's how I do it (now someone else has shown me how!). 1)There should be a Tags icon on the left hand sidebar.  Click on this to bring up a list of tags and the option to create a new tag. 2) At the top of a note, there is a 'click to add new tag.  Just click on these words and type the tag name; click return when finished an a new tag is created.  Easy (once you know how...).

I don't know about "nesting" tags, but I can't even figure out how to create a tag on a Mac! It used to be simple, just right click on the note, but that feature has been removed, and there is no other visible means to create a tag on a note.

I've also responded in the other thread where you asked this. The 'click to add tags' as Cornish43 describes is easy to miss given its grey-on-grey appearance and not looking like something you can interact with. An easier way is to simply use the shortcut ⌘' - it'll bring you to the input field where tags go.

As of Evernote 6.0.2  nested tags are not possible anymore.  Also the shortcuts keys do not work either. The lack of commitment to the Mac version is troubling. Check the mac threads and you'll find they broke more than they fixed or added. The interface is now colorless and terrible (Grey font on white background...no attempt to make the interface attractive or pleasing. The right click options that were plentiful in the 5.x versions are gone. Added work chat which benefits not many. The whole product took a giant leap backward.  I'm about to cancel my premium account.

• Level 5

Nested tags are still possible. I just created a new tag, selected the tags view and put the tag into an existing on by drag & drop. Any nesting level still seems to be possible. And there are still many shortcut keys and right-click context menus. Apart from the different colors I don't see a big difference to previous versions.

Archived