khayes

android Setting up widget to display a specific Note?

Idea

Is there a way to make the EN widget on Android display a specific Note? Currently, it displays all of my Notes and I can scroll through to a specific Note, though I'd like it to display just a single Note at full size of the widget.

Thanks.

• Like 1

11 replies to this idea

I have been searching far and wide for this feature, which provides for an essential use case that satisfies one or both of these conditions: 1) You need a particular note that is always in your face, and 2) You require frequent access to this note (at least a few times a day). An obvious example of this would be a "Daily Objectives" task list with check boxes.

In order to be effective at this use case, such a widget would include khayes' request of (implied) features, including a whole note displayed with its formatting in tact (unlike in list view), being vertically scroll-able, and re-sizeable while spacing and line-breaks are automatically adjusted. In addition to these features, the ability to interact with such a note from the widget (without opening the entire app) would be fundamental to such a use case, due to the need for frequent (yet brief) accesses. The most prominent example is the ability to check/un-check boxes from the widget.

Personally, I find this feature so important that I would dedicate at least 40% of my home screen widget space to two instances of such a widget (sized 4x1 or 4x2 each), aside from possibly more instances of this widget on non-home screens.

• Like 2

One way to do it is to give your special note a special, unique tag. Then set up the widget to display the results of a saved search that searches for that tag.

• Like 1

I can't seem to find a setting in the widget to display a saved search. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Using Android version 5.2.1 public release. I think you need to install the widget separately. I am using a widget named "Evernote List" to do this. The "Evernote Widget Large" widget can do this as well. Both of these widgets give you cut-down views of the note list that's referenced, with note snippets only, not a full note display.

• Like 1

I really wish the Evernotes widgets was updated to do this :(

FWIW, Google Keep does this somewhat well. But its not anywhere the same if Evernote would get around to doing this ...

I've attached a screenshot of the Google Keep widget in action.

post-181143-0-33534700-1392146737_thumb.

With regards the original request: you don't need a widget to do this. Find your note in Evernote:

* in the note list, you can long press on the note, and select "Add to Home Screen"

* In the note display itself, you can click on the menu and  select "Add to Home Screen"

In either case, a shortcut will be created on your home screen that will take you directly to the note in Evernote.

What I (and I highly suspect others) are asking for is a note you can edit on the home screen of the phone.

I find this immensely helps me jot down things I need to remember, and gives me a chance to properly store and sort the items when I'm in front of my laptop.

I don't understand why the current widget forces you to view three notes, even if you set it to only match a single note.

So this is pretty awesome. Its 1092034834758374584 times better than the official widget. However I'm somewhat nervous of continually allowing a 3rd party app access to my evernotes.

The ultimate (not evernote) solution I've found is a gnotes (www.gnotes.me). I can edit the exact same note on the widget/app and the website. Its incredibly useful.

post-181143-0-32310200-1411593733_thumb.

Hello all,

Thank you all for posting. Viewing a single note in the widget isn't currently a thing, but would be a good idea. Please make sure to upvote!

• Like 1