Setting up widget to display a specific Note?

khayes

Idea

Is there a way to make the EN widget on Android display a specific Note? Currently, it displays all of my Notes and I can scroll through to a specific Note, though I'd like it to display just a single Note at full size of the widget.

Thanks.

• Like 2

12 replies to this idea

I have been searching far and wide for this feature, which provides for an essential use case that satisfies one or both of these conditions: 1) You need a particular note that is always in your face, and 2) You require frequent access to this note (at least a few times a day). An obvious example of this would be a "Daily Objectives" task list with check boxes.

In order to be effective at this use case, such a widget would include khayes' request of (implied) features, including a whole note displayed with its formatting in tact (unlike in list view), being vertically scroll-able, and re-sizeable while spacing and line-breaks are automatically adjusted. In addition to these features, the ability to interact with such a note from the widget (without opening the entire app) would be fundamental to such a use case, due to the need for frequent (yet brief) accesses. The most prominent example is the ability to check/un-check boxes from the widget.

Personally, I find this feature so important that I would dedicate at least 40% of my home screen widget space to two instances of such a widget (sized 4x1 or 4x2 each), aside from possibly more instances of this widget on non-home screens.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

One way to do it is to give your special note a special, unique tag. Then set up the widget to display the results of a saved search that searches for that tag.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Using Android version 5.2.1 public release. I think you need to install the widget separately. I am using a widget named "Evernote List" to do this. The "Evernote Widget Large" widget can do this as well. Both of these widgets give you cut-down views of the note list that's referenced, with note snippets only, not a full note display.

• Like 1

I really wish the Evernotes widgets was updated to do this :(

FWIW, Google Keep does this somewhat well. But its not anywhere the same if Evernote would get around to doing this ...

I've attached a screenshot of the Google Keep widget in action.

post-181143-0-33534700-1392146737_thumb.

• Level 5*

With regards the original request: you don't need a widget to do this. Find your note in Evernote:

* in the note list, you can long press on the note, and select "Add to Home Screen"

* In the note display itself, you can click on the menu and  select "Add to Home Screen"

In either case, a shortcut will be created on your home screen that will take you directly to the note in Evernote.

What I (and I highly suspect others) are asking for is a note you can edit on the home screen of the phone.

I find this immensely helps me jot down things I need to remember, and gives me a chance to properly store and sort the items when I'm in front of my laptop.

I don't understand why the current widget forces you to view three notes, even if you set it to only match a single note.

So this is pretty awesome. Its 1092034834758374584 times better than the official widget. However I'm somewhat nervous of continually allowing a 3rd party app access to my evernotes.

The ultimate (not evernote) solution I've found is a gnotes (www.gnotes.me). I can edit the exact same note on the widget/app and the website. Its incredibly useful.

post-181143-0-32310200-1411593733_thumb.

In case you haven't noticed, Mobislenotes - who offered such widgets on android - is shutting down. I believe there may be a few hundred users looking for this option to be inbuilt to Evernote, as they will be switching to other apps due to the closure. Well, I've already subscribed with you as I see your UX has gone far ahead and it's much simpler. For now I'll use that 3rd party widget - Sticky note for evernote - as it does the job - but whenever u get it built-in, that'll be great! All in all I see that evernote has improved a big lot. Too bad to see mobisle out of business - maybe it's bcoz they didn't do a subscription-based model like you but oh well... congrats on a faithful user base and the new UX!