Runtime error on program start

Everytime I start the program I get the a runtime error (see details in the attached screenshot). This started quite recently and has kept on happening regardless of what I did to prevent it (reinstallation of a newer version of Evernote, repairing the Visual C++ runtime libraries). Any advice that would lead me to eliminate the problem would be welcome.

post-143736-0-38077300-1375038489_thumb.

• 1 month later...

So far all my attempts have failed. It is possible that it is Win7 update that did the damage but I cannot be sure. The funny thing is that it happens only on my main computer. On my laptop and on the android and iOS versions that I use everything works fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried it but no luck for me. Same result as before :-(

The problem has appeared again - so REVO uninstallation didn't help.

I found the cause of the problem (in my case) and the solution.

There is one note, just one buggy note! When I open it, when I find it through search or just when I click on it, Evernote crashes (Runtime error appears).

After I deleted the note, Evernote started operating normally.

To delete the note, I used the following trick. Right after the program start I clicked (very-very fast before the program crashes) on another notebook. Next time I run the program, Evernote did not crash (because it opened a different notebook where the note was absent). Then, I opened web-version of Evernote, removed the buggy note. Then, synced the client.

Now it all works fine.

PS: just in case, if developers read this topic, I paste the URL with the note that caused the trouble (.enex file, exported note): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5601099/note.enex Import it into your test Evernote account and see how your Evernote crashes (probably).

Alternatively to delete the note, you may create a new one (Ctrl-Alt-N), so that Evernote starts with this new one.

Hope it helps!

I can happily confirm that sergey_mipt's solution actually works but you firstly need to identify the dodgy note. When you do (I belive that it is the note your evernote opens automatically when its window appears on your desktop) delete it immediately by following the instructions above. I would also suggest emptying the trash. I did exactly that (although it took me about ten minutes to finally complete the whole process - you have to be really quick with your fingers) and now everything works as it should. Thank you all very much for your input and your ingenuity.

geoavg, thanks for letting that the solution has worked for you.

At me, the dodgy note was the one that first appeared after the program started (as geoavg said).

Regarding the trash, I deleted the buggy note from the trash as well (I didn't empty the whole trash, only the buggy one).

Just wanted everyone to know that deleting the 'corrupted' note worked for me as well. It's a matter of selecting a different directory quickly when it opens, then cleaning up the note in question. I'm still not 100% sure which note it was, but I think it must have been the one that opened automatically with the software.

In any case, I trashed a whole lot of superfluous notes, including the one I suspected was the issue, emptied the trash, then went to the browser version and emptied the trash there again to be sure, and the application has been stable ever since.

Thanks to everyone who pointed out this solution!

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much sergey_mipt, your solutions resolved my issue! 

I clipped the page below with the Chrome plugin called "Clearly" and that turned out to be my bad note.  I've never had issues with "Clearly", so I tried to use the "Clip to Evernote" plugin for Chrome and had the same result. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/syslog-guide/logsevp.html

There is obviously something on the above page, that Evernote doesn't like.  Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much sergey_mipt, your solutions resolved my issue! 

I clipped the page below with the Chrome plugin called "Clearly" and that turned out to be my bad note.  I've never had issues with "Clearly", so I tried to use the "Clip to Evernote" plugin for Chrome and had the same result. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/syslog-guide/logsevp.html

There is obviously something on the above page, that Evernote doesn't like.  Thanks again!

Murcury, thanks for thanks.

I had the same issue: I clipped a very long-long (like the page you showed) page with Evernote plugin for Firefox and it killed Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that seems to be the solution.  I thought it might be the last note (a web clipping) I had entered.  I deleted it from the web version of Evernote, but the Windows version would not sync to delete it fast enough, so Windows EN would crash.  As soon as I got Win EN open, I immediately clicked on another note.  It took several tries, but finally EN called up the "good" note, went through the sync and deleted the "bad" web clip note.  I reported the problem to Evernote Tech Support on Monday and they are still :"looking into it".  Wonder why they don't know this is happening, what is causing it and how to fix it. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, that seems to be the solution.  I thought it might be the last note (a web clipping) I had entered.  I deleted it from the web version of Evernote, but the Windows version would not sync to delete it fast enough, so Windows EN would crash.  As soon as I got Win EN open, I immediately clicked on another note.  It took several tries, but finally EN called up the "good" note, went through the sync and deleted the "bad" web clip note.  I reported the problem to Evernote Tech Support on Monday and they are still :"looking into it".  Wonder why they don't know this is happening, what is causing it and how to fix it. 

Just had the same thing with a web clipping, and solved it the way you did. Needed several tries to be quick enough before the error cut me off. I use windows 7, evernote version 5.1.2.2387 and the chrome web clipper 6.0.9. The clipped article itself wasn't long, but the (facebook) comment-section with expanded threads, which I included, was.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the same thing with a web clipping, and solved it the way you did. Needed several tries to be quick enough before the error cut me off. I use windows 7, evernote version 5.1.2.2387 and the chrome web clipper 6.0.9. The clipped article itself wasn't long, but the (facebook) comment-section with expanded threads, which I included, was.

Thank you for all the answers above. I did do the mouse trick before I read this posts, but insane. Now it turns out that the problem is the speed of click-move-click, LoL.

For me,  the buggy clip seems to be a web page which had latex code embedded equations, however, the note can be open on another computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the solution to this problem (still an issue in March).  As I couldn't get the click-before-it-crash to work, I deleted the dodgy entry online then uninstalled and then deleted the cache on my windows PC.  (C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Evernote) which forced a resync on reinstall.

• 1 month later...

If you think how to fix runtime error when you start programs then you can apply these steps on your computer system for the fixing of this runtime error easily:

•  You should restore your system.
  •  You should update your older windows versions.
  •  You should uninstall and reinstall the program.

Hope above these steps can help you to fix runtime error on program start without any difficulty. :)

• 3 months later...

Is there any way to tell which note is corrupt?  I have had the run-time error for a few weeks.  EN support couldn't help me after trying everything that they could think of.  I stumbled across this post and was able to get EN to run by quickly clicking another note when it opened.  Now I don't know how to tell which note is corrupt.  

Any suggestions? 

I had to view all of my notes and go through them one by one until it crashed. When it crashes, the note you have open is the one with the issue. It will most likely be a recent note.

Thank you very much for your answer, the solution, at least for now.  ;)

• 2 months later...

感谢以上各位,我在Windows下同样的问题得到了解决。1.通过登录网页版,删除了诱发错误的日志 2.关闭客户端Evernote,然后删除目录 (C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Evernote) 3.重新启动Evernote客户端,会从服务器重新同步笔记,因为诱发错误的日志已经删除了,所以不会再引起问题。

原因分析:我想,是因为截取的网摘笔记过大或者是其中包含了一些客户端不支持的内容,致使客户端显示的时候崩溃。

• 3 months later...

I encountered this error today on Windows 7, just as others above did, and believe I have a solution:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

As others have said, the crash is caused by is a bad note in the notebook that the Evernote Windows client opens by default.  And in my own case this morning, I solved it by the trick others of mentioned, which is super-fast switching to another notebook in the fractions of a second before the Evernote client crashes.

However, it seems to me that this should work more elegantly, without having to try to change notebooks before the crash (or, at least, is an alternative to try if you can't manage to switch notebooks in time):

Instead of opening the Evernote Windows client, invoke ENscript.exe from the Windows command line, and use it to force a synchronization of the local and server-stored copies of your database:

c:\progra~1\evernote\evernote\enscript syncDatabase

Then go to the webclient (online, in your browser) and delete the offending note.

Finally, force another local synch from the command line:

The offending note should be purged, and the Windows client should open properly.

Hope this helps someone else!

UPDATED BELOW TO ADD MORE-DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS:

You have to get to the Windows command prompt.  In most versions of Windows, you do it by clicking the START button.

From the START menu, look for "Programs" or "All Programs" (depending on your version of Windows).  Click on that.

In that list you should see a folder named "Accessories."  Click on that.

In the Accessories folder, click on "Command prompt."

OK.  You should now be in a new windows, and there will be something like this displayed:

C:\>

There may be some intervening text, such as C:\Users\Rob>, but the string will start with C:\ and end with a greater-than sign. That thing is the command prompt; it's prompting you to enter a command there.

Copy this full line of text to the clipboard:

COPY THE WHOLE THING, including the space and the word "syncDatabase."

Now, PASTE that at the command prompt (right-click with your mouse and select "Paste") so that the prompt is immediately followed by that text, like this:

C:\Users\Rob>c:\progra~1\evernote\evernote\enscript syncDatabase

Hit the ENTER key on your keyboard.

You should see a lot of things listed on the screen, and it may take a little while.  When your computer is done, it will put another command prompt on screen:

C:\Users\Rob>

Okay, THAT'S WHEN YOU GO ON TO STAGE TWO:

Then go to the Evernote webclient online, in your web browser, by going to: https://www.evernote.com.  Log into your account (and ignore any offer to switch to the beta version of Evernote).  Find and delete the corrupted note (it'll likely be the most-recently changed one, or one of the most-recent ones), and it may look JUST FINE in your web browser, but DELETE IT anyway.

Then go back to the command prompt, and issue the exact same command as before: just paste it in again, or hit F3 (which repeats the last command), then hit ENTER.  Again, make sure it's THIS WHOLE COMMAND:

Once more, you'll see updates on screen, and then, when the computer is finished, you'll see a prompt again.

C:\Users\Rob>

Type the word EXIT at the command prompt, hit ENTER, and the Command Prompt window will close.

Now try to run Evernote Windows.

UPDATED BELOW TO ADD EVEN MORE-DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS, IF THE ABOVE FAILS:

The above assumes your Evernote program files are installed in you computer at the default positions for Windows XP and Windows 7.  But what if they're somewhere else?  In that case, you'll get a message when you try to run Enscript from the command prompt that says:  "'The system cannot find the path specified."

If so, do the following:

On your desktop or in your start menu there should be a shortcut to Evernote.  Right-click on it, select the tab named "Shortcut," and look at the field labelled "Start in."  Does it say PRECISELY this?

"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\"

If it doesn't say precisely that (if any part of it, including the initial letter, is different), then copy the entirety of what it does say to your clipboard, and do the following.  NOTE:  It is CRUCIAL that you keep the quotation marks intact.

Go to the Command Prompt and paste in what you just copied, but don't press ENTER yet:

C:\>users\Rob>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\"

BACKSPACE to delete the closing quote, so it says something like:

C:\>users\Rob>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE FINAL BACKSLASH (\) with NO intervening space, type exactly this (note the quotation mark):

enscript" syncDatabase

so that the line says something akin to:

C:\>users\vshepard>"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\enscript" syncDatabase

Remember the "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\ part will be different.

NOW PRESS ENTER.

If that works, then follow the rest of the instructions (go online, delete the note, and run this command at the command prompt again by pressing F3, then ENTER).

Rob (in Toronto)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This problem encountered me several times in my Evernote career. The reason was always a single (corrupted?) note. Charcateristic of these notes was, that they were quite long, had several embedded elements (e.g. Excel sheets) and was almost daily used (e.g. to do lists).

The Quick Click upon opening helped every time. (on the Windows Desktop version). I usually deleted the malicious note beforehand in the evernote webinterface, where everything was always working...

PS: a pity that this problem persists over such along time

Archived