(Archived) if my device is stolen....

My tablet and phone are protected with pattern lock. I don't know how safe that truly is. So if lost and cracked, a nefarious thief could delete all of my Evernotes. So, if a device is stolen, is there a way to avoid this?

I don't log off. So anyone who clicks it would get in. Do most folks log off Evernote on their devices? Or if I change my password through another synced device, would it log off the stolen from device?

My tablet and phone are protected with pattern lock. I don't know how safe that truly is. So if lost and cracked, a nefarious thief could delete all of my Evernotes. So, if a device is stolen, is there a way to avoid this?

You can also use one of the desktop clients & schedule daily backups of your database. This won't keep someone from deleting or viewing your notes. But if they delete them all & sync, you can recover your notes from your backup.

And yes, I use the pin code on my iPad and iPhone as well as the pin lock on Evernote, which is a premium feature.

Thanks. I will have to make sure Carbonite backs up the data files. But does anyone know if changing the password on one device would prevent getting into it on another device that never logged off?

• Level 5*

Thanks. I will have to make sure Carbonite backs up the data files. But does anyone know if changing the password on one device would prevent getting into it on another device that never logged off?

Hi John. Here is a secure scenario:

(1) Install Evernote on your phone. Do not download your notes offline.

(2) Password protect your phone -- if you are on an iPhone, set it to wipe the device after ten failed attempts.

(3) Keep the phone on your person (I carry a murse (man purse) everywhere).

(4) If it gets stolen (unlikely, if you have it on your person), go to Evernote.com and change your password. You can also tell Evernote not to sync with the device (see your settings at Evernote.com).

What will happen? If the thief somehow manages to break into your phone (unlikely if you have it set to wipe after ten failed attempts), they will open a note and see nothing. Why? Evernote will connect with the Evernote server and be denied access. Because you have not downloaded notes offline, only the notes in the cache (recently viewed notes) will be available.

It will have no impact whatsoever on other devices, except (of course) that you will have to update them with the new password. Here is some more advice on security.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

Archived