Evernote widget often shows wrong notes

I use saved searches to show notes from a specific notebook containing a specific tag. When I add an EN widget, and set it to show a saved search, it shows the correct notes initially, but starts showing incorrect notes after a while - notes that do not match the tag specified as part of the saved search. Both the old "grid" style widget and the new "list" widget suffer from this issue.

I used to get around this by pressing the arrow buttons on the old grid style widget which would force a "refresh" and the widget would display the correct notes again. However, I learnt today that the old grid widget is going to be replaced by the new list widget which has no arrow buttons and thus can't be refreshed. This makes the widget pretty much unusable to me.

This happens on both my LG Nexus 4 and my Galaxy Note 8.0.

• 5 weeks later...

Did you get anywhere with this? I've got the exact same problem and it's very frustrating. 

Adding shortcuts of saved searches to the homescreen suffers from similar issues too - works once then just doesn't do anything.

Closing Evernote from the task manager seems to reset both issues temporarily, but shouldn't need to do this.

Did you get anywhere with this? I've got the exact same problem and it's very frustrating. 

Unfortunately, no. Sometimes the widgets "refresh" themselves correctly and sometimes they don't; it's hit and miss. I've noticed that there are times when the widget shows the incorrect notes after I create a new note but then refreshes itself after about 30 seconds. It's way too buggy at the moment for me to trust..

• 3 months later...

Update: interestingly, the "Evernote Widget Large" widget stays updated on saved searches while the "Evernote List" widget (the one i was referring to in my last post) fails to stay updated. I prefer the list format, but I'll go with tiles for now. Perhaps a comparison between code of those two widgets could quickly shed light on this bug.

• 5 weeks later...

Still a problem with EN 5.7 on Samsung Galaxy S4. 

I use two widgets displaying 2 different saved searches, and it's completely random what shows up in each widget - sometimes it will display correctly if I refresh by selecting the same search again. This will usually not last for long.

This is a continued huge annoyance and prevents me from using GTD efficiently as I cannot trust the widget to provide correct action lists.

Please prioritize this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I filed a new support ticket for it (#546509). I doubt older forum threads are followed closely by the EN Dev team. This is an ongoing bug though, so I'm glad they leave threads open so we can compare notes. Evernote is great, and a fix for this issue would significantly improve Evernote on Android.

• 2 months later...

I have a workaround that has been moderately successful.  Saved searches still get messed up in the widget, but I have had a couple weeks of perfect list widget performance when I created a designated notebook for it.

I use (or try to) TSW, where your tasks are tracked according to tags (1-now, 2-next, 3-soon, etc).  I made a notebook called 1-now, and that reliably displays on my home screen even if I make new notes (which would mess up the saved searches).  Maybe this can help someone.  Good luck!

I switched to Todoist and doubt I'll look back. Todoist makes everything GTD so much easier and smoother. One click to mark something done, instead of dragging to the "Done" notebook, or several clicks on a device that doesn't have drag and drop. Creating a new task by default goes to the Inbox, and I can even add new tasks by voice with Google Now (or Siri). Clean, minimal interface built specifically for GTD. The Android widget works, and it's resizable. First-party email client plugins (Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail). Everything just feels streamlined. I signed up for premium after just 10 minutes. I have been using it a few days and I'm in love. It's so much easier now. With Evernote, I got bored of the tedium and eventually abandoned TSW. With Todoist, most of GTD is automated for me.

I will continue using Evernote as a journal of articles I read, but Todoist is where I'll be getting things done.

Archived