Note Conflicts Feature Needs Improvement

HarryRad

Idea

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have previously requested a feature for note conflicts, and I would like to know what progress has been made with it.

I would like you to make it easier to see what differences there are in the conflicting notes by highlighting the text which differs.

Yours faithfully,

Dr. Harry Whitehead

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

This is basically a user forum, if you'd like a direct response from Evernote then you should open a support ticket. However, Evernote doesn't discuss it's roadmap.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have previously requested a feature for note conflicts, and I would like to know what progress has been made with it.

I would like you to make it easier to see what differences there are in the conflicting notes by highlighting the text which differs.

Yours faithfully,

Dr. Harry Whitehead

EN does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.

• Level 5*

I did open a support ticket, and they [Evernote] directed me here.

My understanding is that this feature is often requested (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25197-howto-diff-a-conflict-with-the-original/), but we have not seen any changes (that I have noticed). You might find some suggestions for ways to compare notes (see the link). To make the most of what we have available at the moment, my recommendation would be to avoid having Evernote open and in use on more than one machine at once to reduce the frequency of note conflicts.

Thanks, GrumpyMonkey!

I hope that it gets included soon, as if I have any catastrophically bad conflicts I would be considering alternatives to Evernote. 

Harry

This is definitely a case where you should be more cautious about the syncing when switching between computers/devices.  If you're getting a lot of note conflicts, that's an indicator that you are not.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

• Level 5*

Yes, but even when you're being careful some still slip through the net. Human beings are not machines, which is why automation for things like this is useful.

Except when they are machines. You might be a Cylon and just not know it (please excuse the BSG reference).

As for automation, I do think there will inevitably be a certain amount of work needed to resolve conflicts. Part of the problem is that Evernote does not sync (like Google or Dropbox) simultaneously, but is slightly delayed (see your sync settings to adjust this somewhat), so things are just going to end up getting out of sync.

I get maybe one conflict a month. Often, I am only on one device when this happens, and I don't have the diagnostic tools to figure out why I am generating the sync conflicts. Fortunately, it is a rare enough event that it doesn't have much of an impact on me. If you are having frequent conflicts, then something is not working correctly.

I get about one a month as well.

I'm never using more than one machine at a time.

I have my mac auto-sync every five minutes.

My android is set to auto-sync every 60 minutes, so I have now changed that to every 15 minutes; hopefully, this will mean less conflicts, but at the expense of battery-life...

I'm a new user who has had bad experiences with notes conflicts.  Since an Evernote product manager said here in July that improvements in sync were coming, I'm wondering if anyone can share the improvements or other news.

The problem I'm having is one that would make me stop using Evernote if not resolved:  When I create a conflict by editing a note in two places (phone and laptop), Evernote responds by eliminating one of the sets of updates entirely.  So if I have, say, a list of tasks that I've brainstormed into one place, Evernote deletes that list.  This is a fatal flaw to me; I can't have my work vanish.  Why not instant sync like Google docs?  Like HarryRad, I'm human and will never be consistent in syncing if not prompted.

Thanks.

The use-case that affects me is with multi-user collaboration on the same note.  Having something that works similar to the visual Diff tools would be good (i.e. highlight the changes that conflict, and put a note of who changed it), at least when viewing conflicts.

Archived