(Archived) pasting in android evernote app

sirikan

In previous versions of evernote I was able to paste the contents of the android clipboard to an evernote note. Don't seem to be able to do that any more.

Probably due to the improvements you guys made to the way notes are handled. Would be nice if you add a button to paste the contents of the clipboard into a note though :D.

• 5 months later...

Hello evernote guys (and girls),

I have a Verizon 4G HTC Thunderbolt (soft keyboard android phone) and I find interesting stuff I would like to save from the internet by copy and pasting into evernote and the pasting doesn't work into evernote. I can copy to the clipboard just fine and when I go to evernote a long press of my thumb on the screen is noticed by the OS (my phone vibrates) BUT no paste option pops up on evernote screen. You need to fix this bug!

Thanks,

Frank

ps: my android version is 2.2.1

Hi Frank,

I just try to copy some texts from msn.com into a new note in evernote and it works for me.

If it is still an issue for you, can you use SendLog to access the logs from your device and email them to:

android-preview@evernote.com

I will assign an Engineer to investigate from there.

Thanks

Ah Fan (a guy)

Evernote team

• 4 weeks later...

My Toshiba Thrive tablet has this issue, too. I can not get Evernote to paste copied text into an existing note. My workaround is to highlight the text and then select Share > Evernote - Create Note instead of selecting Copy. That action will create a brand new note with the copied text. I really want to be able to copy into an **existing** note.

My Toshiba Thrive tablet has this issue, too. I can not get Evernote to paste copied text into an existing note. My workaround is to highlight the text and then select Share > Evernote - Create Note instead of selecting Copy. That action will create a brand new note with the copied text. I really want to be able to copy into an **existing** note.

I finally figured out how to do this on the Thrive, so I'm recanting the post I made yesterday. I was trying "press and hold" to get the Paste option to display, but a little tap needs to be used instead. So:

1) Highlight the text you want to capture and use the Copy option.

2) Switch over to Evernote. Make sure that the note you want to add text to is in Edit mode.

3) A little tap in the note will display a green insert icon. Slide the green icon to the place in the note where you want the text inserted.

4) Tap the green icon to display "Paste", and then tap "Paste".

Yes, I can confirm this problem with my HTC sensation. I cannot paste into evernote no matter what I do (even if I'm in edit mode in an existing note). This is actually a big problem for me since one of the main ways I would like to use evernote is to paste interesting clips from my email, browsing etc while on the go. It's actually the main reason why I got the program. I realize that this issue may be fixed in the new version but I'm very reluctant to download a potentially unstable beta program with unresolved bugs and issues. I would appreciated some info as to how stable or robust this new version is before trying it.

Yes, I can confirm this problem with my HTC sensation. I cannot paste into evernote no matter what I do (even if I'm in edit mode in an existing note). This is actually a big problem for me since one of the main ways I would like to use evernote is to paste interesting clips from my email, browsing etc while on the go. It's actually the main reason why I got the program. I realize that this issue may be fixed in the new version but I'm very reluctant to download a potentially unstable beta program with unresolved bugs and issues. I would appreciated some info as to how stable or robust this new version is before trying it.

Hi,

We have just updated the client on Android market with new features.

Pls update and check if the problem of pasting is solved for you.

Thanks,

Hemant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hm, i didnt get this problem at all, i copied a wikipedia document and i was able to paste it into evernote, with my Sony Erricsson Xperia Mini pro.

There's a way to counter act this:

e-mail it to your special evernote e-mail which you can find in the settings, use @ in the title of the e-mail to put the note in a specific notebook, e.g. @SCHOOL or something like that

HTC Inspire Android 2.3.3

Evernote Build: 198968 Version: 3.2.2(public)

I get the haptic feedback on long press but not option to paste. No option on tap either. No menu option. This is the case with a new note or with an existing note in edit mode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

When I start new note, there is no "long tap" working in note body.

So it's not possible to get popup menu for paste text in clipboard or switch input method.

Long tap is working in note name field (where it has no meaning in fact), but not working in most important note part - body.

Seems that New note is running in some semi-edit mode, since in editing mode for existing note the long tap works.

Fail?

Hi,

What is the make and model of your phone?

Try clicking the note body and then long press in the note body to get paste options.

New note and edit note is exactly same screen.

Long press & copy paste options are managed by your phone.

Pls send us logs and I will investigate what is the problem.

Thanks,

Hemant

Hi,

thank you very much for your reply.

I have Desire S running Android 2.3.5

That was strange for me, because behavior was as I desribed:

1) new note - Note Tile long tap: popup menu with options Paste and Input Method appears

- Note Content long tap: just short vibration and nothing happens

2) editing of existing note - Note Tile long tap: popup menu with "Select word", "Select all", "Paste" and "Input method" appears

- Note Content long tap (on new line): short vibration, then popup menu with "Select word", "Select all", "Paste" and "Input method" items appears

I a little played with this matter today and found out, that I am able to get popup menu in New note Note Content, but I have to do long tap directly on "Note content" written in upper left corner.

Sometimes is quite difficult to get popup menu and better is to send Enter and then a few Spaces and use long tap somewhere near upper left corner.

Popup with "Select word", "Select all", "Paste" and "Input method" items appears easily.

I am sorry if I confused you, but man is automatically traying to use long tap somewhere inside of Note Content field, not directly on these two words in corner :)

Sorry, my mistake.

• 1 month later...

Partially resolved, at least on HTC Desire HD:

I was initially unable to paste text that was copied from email into a new Evernote note. After reading the replies here, I typed 1 word (anything) into this new text field, then did a long press where the cursor was blinking got the haptic feedback and the usual pop-up options that allowed pasting of my copied text. Then I just had to go back and delete that 1st unwanted word .

As was mentioned earlier by another poster, it's important to press-&-hold where the blinking cursor is; pressing anywhere else on the field doesn't work.

Evernote needs to fix this, & also allow pasting into new blank text note fields without the "type any 1st letter" workaround.

I can't paste into EverNote from other apps--I can copy from the web and paste into docs, but when I long-press in edit mode in EverNote, nothing happens. I can copy and paste within EverNote fine, but not from other sources. Seriously limits the usefulness of the app!! Am I missing something?

Definitely +1 for a working copy/paste **without** entering into Edit mode.

+1 as well / For the record, I just downloaded the new beta 3 android release and was able to copy and paste text in an EN note for the first time on my Galaxy Nexus (ICS) but an additional issue for me is that there's no way to generate a live link url in a new note (from a pasted text from clipboard) either manually or automatically. And I cannot edit notes to create live link urls from text that begins http:... (at least I haven't discovered how to yet !!)

The app (and the upgrading routine and frequency) are a total ray of sunshine compared to my prior experience on a Blackberry. Very excited to be more productive with Evernote for Android!

• 4 months later...

Hello all!

I just got my new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and installed Evernote. However, I am having a problem. If I copy an image from the Web and it goes onto my clipboard, I wanna be able to put that image directly into Evernote. I know there is the Web Clipper... but lets say I open up Evernote and start a new note... how do I get that image from the clipboard directly onto the new note?

I've tried to long press the blue cursor, which brings up the clipboard and I can see that the image is there but it is grayed out and will not transfer to the note. Only text does this, but not images.

Perhaps someone can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

S2 (original version) user here - I don't seem to have a 'web clipper' in Android (browsing with Firefox mobile); all I can do is download an image to my handset or 'share' it from the web. With the image on the handset, there's no way to cut and paste it - all I can do is share the image to Evernote in a new note, or email it to my evernote account with the email setting headings and tags. Likewise I can share the image to EN directly from the web page. I can also capture the whole page as a PDF file and then have similar options with sharing and email.

Hi Michigander37, welcome to the forum :)

I think that this is down to the way that EN for android works.

The android client cannot paste attachments directly into a note, but they have to be added as attachments manually (the paperclip button)

I tend to save the attachments to my device, then use the share function within android to create a note.

Scott

Hi Michigander37, welcome to the forum :)

I think that this is down to the way that EN for android works.

The android client cannot paste attachments directly into a note, but they have to be added as attachments manually (the paperclip button)

I tend to save the attachments to my device, then use the share function within android to create a note.

Scott

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but that's what I've been doing till now. Thanks for the welcome!

S2 (original version) user here - I don't seem to have a 'web clipper' in Android (browsing with Firefox mobile); all I can do is download an image to my handset or 'share' it from the web. With the image on the handset, there's no way to cut and paste it - all I can do is share the image to Evernote in a new note, or email it to my evernote account with the email setting headings and tags. Likewise I can share the image to EN directly from the web page. I can also capture the whole page as a PDF file and then have similar options with sharing and email.

Even that would be okay by me (sharing the image directly with Evernote) but I can't even do that. How is it giving you that option? When I long press on any given image on the Web, it does not give me the option to "Share" it only gives me four options, "Save image", "Copy Image", "View Image" or "Set as Wallpaper". Is this one of the differences between the free and paid version?

• Level 5*

Do you have the widget installed? Don't know how I got the feature, but "share to" comes up after a long press, and Evernote is one of the options. It's not related to my account - the menu comes up even when Evernote is offline.

Do you have the widget installed? Don't know how I got the feature, but "share to" comes up after a long press, and Evernote is one of the options. It's not related to my account - the menu comes up even when Evernote is offline.

I do have the widget installed but I see in your signature that you are a premium member. I have a feeling that is the main difference. I wish I just could just get a yes/no from the developers. Even though Evernote is offline, the functionality is always there so that shouldn't make a difference, I don't think.

Thanks for the help, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Firstly... hello to the evernote community!... I've been using evernote commercially for close to a year now and it is working out beautifully.

Secondly... i have a query:

When creating a note on my Android device (Galaxy Note to be exact), any pictures i take with the camera appear simply as attachments all lined up next to each other at the top of the screen.

However... i would like to be able to insert some text, then insert a picture, then more text, then another picture etc....

PICTURE

TEXT

PICTURE

TEXT

PICTURE

TEXT

... and so on...

I can do this when using Evernote on an iPad but, as mentioned above, on a Galaxy Note all "inserted" pictures do not appear in the body of the text but as attachments at the top of the (ever)note.

Is there any way i can achieve what i desire on a Galaxy Note? Any help would be much appreciated...

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the Forum. I'm not a Note user, but I do have a Galaxy S2 which shows pictures fine. What version of Android does the Note run? If through some OS or Evernote client quirk you can't see pictures the only work-around I can suggest would be note linking one picture+text entry to another, so each note has one picture attachment and contains a link to the next note in the series. Clunky I know, but it gives you something to work with...

Hi - welcome to the Forum. I'm not a Note user, but I do have a Galaxy S2 which shows pictures fine. What version of Android does the Note run? If through some OS or Evernote client quirk you can't see pictures the only work-around I can suggest would be note linking one picture+text entry to another, so each note has one picture attachment and contains a link to the next note in the series. Clunky I know, but it gives you something to work with...

Hi Gazumped,

Thank you for your reply but im not sure you quite understand the issue from your suggested resolve.

The pictures show up fine in Evernote but you cannot arrange them in the body of the text on the device itself when creating/editing a note.

If you insert a picture into an evernote then it shows up like this (attachment at top of page):

export_02.png

As opposed to this (fully inserted into body of text):

export_01.png

I would like to see my inserted pictures in the body of text when creating an evernote on an Android device... Is this possible?

• Level 5*

I got the picture (sorry) from your earlier query, and certainly in other Android versions on other platforms I've seen pictures included in the note and separated by text as you describe. I don't know whether it's a feature of whichever version of Android you're operating under on a Galaxy Note, or something to do with the Note's architecture, or the Evernote version you have installed there, but I only see pictures along the top margin in that way when I'm actually creating a note and before it's saved. When the note is synced back to the database I get the full image display. I was suggesting the note-linked string of pictures only as a way to keep separate comments with individual photos in a specific order. I realise it's not what you requested, but I guess we need a Note-friendly comment from a more enlightened user to throw more .. light on this.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the clarification - just tested this out, and for the record (and more clarification) everyone in this thread is right. It IS possible to see a note on an Android client with inline pictures, but the layout has to be authored on a desktop client first. You can't add a series of pic / caption / pic details - the pictures are all lined up at the top of the page, with headlines grouped below. If you create a note this way and subsequently edit it in a desktop client, you will see the text at the top of the page, and the pictures listed below. Cut and paste the captions between the pictures if you wish to correct the layout.

• 6 months later...

Hello, everyone. I know this may not be the solution for everyone, but I have paired my Galaxy SIII with a Logitech K760 Bluetooth keyboard. It makes taking notes and general tasks extremely easy. May be not completely portable, but definitely functional. I use the Ctrl-c and ctrl-v with great success.I have been using it to copy my template notes into a new note. Open the template note for edit, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C. Close note. Open new note in desired folder, Ctrl-V. Takes just a few serconds. hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...

I too got the almost the same problem on Samsung note 10.1 tab.

I want to copy a picture from clipboard into an existing note.

When I click on the paste button available in the keyboard, a new pop up shows all the clipboard copied items. However the pictures are locked. All I am allowed to copy is only the texts :-(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I concur with this being a major need. 

I use my Note a lot for creating visual notes,  say at my sons birthday party, and the present way of putting notes and images separately is dissaponting in terms of creating a nice representation of the party with captions to give each picture context. 

I've requested this also quite a while ago. 

Hope it is implemented. 

Hi there,

I have been using Evernote (free version) for iOS for a few months and really love this product.  I have just changed to an android phone for work and am having several difficulties, particularly around the copy & paste functionality.

Copy

I am unable to copy any text in a notebook when I select it to view.  If I click the edit (pencil) icon, and double-tap a word, the "text selection" title appears briefly (less than a second) and then vanishes again.  At the same time, the two handles for text selection appear on either end of the word and also disappear.  There is no "Select All" provided and because it doesn't stay on the screen, I am unable to copy any note content at all.

Paste

If I create a new note and try to paste text, I press and hold on the page and the "paste" button pops up as expected but then vanishes again almost instantly.  I have found that this always happens if my finder is not where the cursor is located (eg. for a new note, the very left of the screen).   If I press where the cursor is located, the paste button pops up and stays, but any formatting is completely lost as it only appears to past plain text.  All bullets and indented text are reduced to just lines of text which for the purposes I use it for, renders the app completely useless.

On iOS for my iPhone, iPad and OSX for my MacBook Pro, Evernote performs perfectly.  For some reason the android app just does not want to play ball for me.

I am running Evernote version 5.1.3.2 on Android 4.2.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

PJ

• 3 weeks later...

how do you paste in the android version of the evernote app? i have had extreme difficult with this feature and it is obviously very frustrating. if i copy text from somewhere, like another note for example, i am unable to paste it into an existing note. how can this be done?

Thanks!

(...) Edit:  for text in the note.  What are you cutting / pasting from and to?

Create a new note and write some words . Before saving the note, try to copy the text and paste inside the same note. You'll  not be able to do this. But if you edit an existing note (i.e, save the note and then edit it), you'll be able to copy and paste.

I'd also like this feature.  I commonly create field service notes (with Android) and haven't been able to figure a workaround.  I end up taking pictures and the text mashed together in one note.  Then, I have to spend extra time on the desk client to rearrange and verify everything.  PITA ... and time waster.

I sometimes resort to adding info onto the pic with Skitch, but that has it's own set of issues.  Namely, that you can't edit them (the text).  Hey, can we make Skitch edits on a separate layer so they're editable...nvm...

Premium for >2yrs.

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: It may have something to do with the S4 multitask feature. I disabled it and so far things have improved. (Found in settings, my device, display, "Multi Window"). It still seems to be random on whether or not the blue tabs appear after selecting a word in order to select more than just that one word. Sometimes I get the tabs, sometimes not. I don't have this issue in other apps (Gmail for example).

Edit: The single blue positioning tab with a short press also does not appear, which makes moving the cursor to the left edge and inserting text/checkboxes impossible.

I'm having problems with cut/copy/paste in a note as well, even within the same note.

The behavior changes and I don't know why.

1) sometimes I long press on the composition area of the note, I get a system sound like I expect, but no popup. No change in the screen at all.

2) sometimes if I long press a single word it'll get highlighted and I can cut/copy but then cannot paste when I move to another line in the note and long press.

4) sometimes, saving the note first helps, other times it doesn't make a difference.

3) sometimes everything works. The two blue select buttons come up after a long press and I am able to select multiple words and lines. Then cut/copy/paste normally.

There's a bug in there somewhere, not necessarily in evernote (but I haven't had this issue with other apps). Maybe there's an issue with the keyboard (I've tried swype and google keyboards), or with something in the system itself.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon

Android version 4.2.2

Evernote version: 5.2.2? (Aug 16, 2013)

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi all. 

I had the same problem and found an easy solution... Most aftermarket keyboards have a shortcut to the paste button. I use TouchPal, which has a hidden menu for copy / cut / paste (click the little pencil icon to find it). On a related note, Touchpal is totally awesome. Combined with Evernote it makes for a really fast data entry process.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I hope this helps someone. I've been dealing with the same problem. Currently using the ASUS infinity TF700.

did some research into the Keyboard hot buttons, or the shortcut buttons.

when typing in a note you can hold shift and highlight text with your finger. (this only works when "editing" a note, or creating a new note.)For some reason with the blue cursor shows up it won't let you high light. but if you use the Arrow keys, you can shake it off.

to copy- Ctrl + C

to paste- Ctrl +V

I have no answers as to the capitalization of the letters T, S, U, I, B... can't find a way around that one. also... beware capitalizing W... closes everytime. drives me crazy!! This letters will capitalize no problem with caps lock.

anway, i realize this is in NO way a very technically explained answer. but, you get what you pay for.

:)

Archived