(Archived) [Evernote V5 beta] Feedback: 'Remove formatting' function seems to work strangely

Gigony

Evernote V5 is great! I have been enjoying using EVERNOTE for long time.

During using Evenrnote V5 beta, I think I found a weird behavior.

Reproducing process:
1) Current default font setting is 'Tahoma' in the configuration dialog.
2) Create a new note.
3) Type anything in the note's content. (e.g., 'asdsffd')
4) Press Ctrl+Shift+Space.
5) Font style is changed into 'Courier, Courier New, monospace'
post-143150-0-30971700-1374730071_thumb.
6) When I copy the text and paste int WYSIWYG web editor in my blog and see how the text is converted in HTML, I saw the following code.
'<div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Courier, 'Courier New', monospace; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2; font-size:12pt;">asdsffd</span></div><p><br /></p>'

Expected Output:
- The default font should not be changed in the EVERNOTE editor.
- I should see '<p>asdasdf</p>' in  the WYSIWYG web editor just like I copied and pasted the text from Notepad.

Suggestion:
- For the text that the font formatting is removed, EVERNOTE need to show the text in the editor applying default font style.
- When the text is copied, font style (including font size) should be removed in the clipboard information.

Actually, that change to explicit courier new is a carryover from Evernote 4. I'd mentioned it before. Even weirder, if you select a different note, then come back to the note you just stripped down to plain text you should find it is no longer displaying as courier.

Actually, that change to explicit courier new is a carryover from Evernote 4. I'd mentioned it before. Even weirder, if you select a different note, then come back to the note you just stripped down to plain text you should find it is no longer displaying as courier.

You are right.

Even though the text is no longer displaying as courier when I did like what you said, the problem related to the clipboard is not solved.
I want to see '<p>asdasdf</p>' not '<div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Tahoma; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2; font-size:12pt;">sdfsf</span></div><p><br /></p>' in the WYSIWYG web editor.
Actually, we can use pressing [Ctrl+Shift+v] to paste a plain text, as  a workaround.
Anyway, I think the the problem on UI needs to be solved.

Agreed . . . even if harmless, I encounter it daily and find it rather jarring/annoying. 

How are you testing your clipboard results? I've tried reproducing your findings using the WordPress visual editor (in chrome) and after removing formatting in Evernote, it's just pasting <div>blah</div>. 

Agreed . . . even if harmless, I encounter it daily and find it rather jarring/annoying. 

How are you testing your clipboard results? I've tried reproducing your findings using the WordPress visual editor (in chrome) and after removing formatting in Evernote, it's just pasting <div>blah</div>. 

It seems that the result depends on the web editor. WordPress visual editor may simplify the clipboard information before pasting it.

I am using Tistory Blog that has built-in visual editor (made by Daum). 

You can check it here after clicking 'SAMPLE - load contents to editor' and removing all content in the editor.

You can also test it in the email composition window at gmail (web) although you cannot see real HTML code.

There are other visual web editors:

Xinha Editor: http://xinha.raimundmeyer.de/x_examples/ext_example.html - cannot handle

CKEditor: http://ckeditor.com/demo - can handle (but it seems to always remove text format).

tinymce: http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php - can handle.

Now I see what you mean, that markup is pretty gross. A workaround (one that I use constantly, not just for Evernote) would be to plain text paste (ctrl+shift+v in firefox and chrome)

Archived