Request: Passcode Lock for Evernote Mac

Saad K

Idea

I wonder why isn't there a passcode lock for Evernote Desktop App?

Other people with access to my pc/mac can simply come in and open my evernote and see my private stuff.

I believe having a simple passcode lock (just like the Iphone/android) app solves this problem.

• Like 2

29 replies to this idea

I second this request.

The diary application "One Day" requires a password.  Evernote could to.  And should, given what some of us put in it.

Not sure why this entire discussion thread is about "other ways" to keep Evernote data secure.  Why not just add a password feature and move on?

• Like 2

I am not worried about some sophisticated hacker getting into my Evernote. I just want a simple passcode. It may not be perfect, but it's better than nothing. My computer is only used by me, and sometimes family. All the same, the ability to have a passcode lock just like the app on my phone would be wonderful. 

• Like 3

I've been waiting for evernote to have a passcode feature for macbook and windows laptop but to this date in spite of having premium account, you have not activated this      feature in macbook, windows desktop and laptop!!!! Why???? I've been so loyal to evernote to the point of promoting it to my friends to download because of its usefulness. Would appreciate if you can make the passcode feature soonest so security wise, evernote in my macbook, windows desktop and laptop/tablet is not vulnerable.

thanks,

ms markey

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, markeymac said:

I've been waiting for evernote to have a passcode feature for macbook and windows laptop but to this date in spite of having premium account, you have not activated this      feature in macbook, windows desktop and laptop!!!! Why????

Just curious, why isn't the OS passcode lock good enough?  Personally I can't think of any reason why I would need to lock my EN data but would be ok with having everything else on the laptop open and available.

I know it's true of Macs and I believe it's also true of Windows that you can have different user accounts on the computer. My user account is password protected. If someone else uses my computer, I switch to the guest account for them. Not only can they not see my Evernote account, they also can't see any of my other personal documents. 

• Like 2

I know User accounts on desktop OS gives you an overall security. However if someone really uses Evernote as his/her Second brain, even a slightest mistake of not logging off or switching to a different user can cost big.

It really depends on the use case. If a user uses Evernote for general note taking, to-dos and store clips then they probably wont really appreciate the lock feature. However if you are storing passwords, credit card information, banking information and other crucial details I think having an extra layer of security is a must.

If someone really wants to use your Machine for the purpose of looking at your personal information, they aren't going to ask you for it (so no chance of user switching). They will just see the opportunity and take advantage of Evernote's search feature when you are away for 2 mins.

It really depends on the use case. If a user uses Evernote for general note taking, to-dos and store clips then they probably wont really appreciate the lock feature. However if you are storing passwords, credit card information, banking information and other crucial details I think having an extra layer of security is a must.

You should use a true password manager for this type of info.

• Like 2

Well again its all about convenience and who do you trust. Lastpass was hacked 2 years back.  Evernote makes it easy to store information and find them. Even though i dont condone people to store things like password out in the open, but evernote certainly has the ability to store sensitive information. The encryption feature is also great but sadly its on "Per note" basis and not on entire account or notebook.

A simple passcode lock will certainly add an extra layer of security on the existing secured and awesome Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Well again its all about convenience and who do you trust. Lastpass was hacked 2 years back.  Evernote makes it easy to store information and find them. Even though i dont condone people to store things like password out in the open, but evernote certainly has the ability to store sensitive information. The encryption feature is also great but sadly its on "Per note" basis and not on entire account or notebook.

A simple passcode lock will certainly add an extra layer of security on the existing secured and awesome Evernote.

Hi. I don't think LastPass was ever certain if they got hacked or what was taken, right? My understanding is that whatever happened, if the evildoers got a tiny amount of encrypted data (usernames and passwords), it hasn't apparently resulted in anyone's account actually getting hacked. Evernote does a lot of great things, but when it comes to encryption and passwords, I think LastPass is going to come out ahead in any comparison. That's because they do it for a living. For example, Evernote doesn't offer strong encryption of data (64-bit).

As for the password protected account on the Mac, I think it is really just for show, because anyone with physical access to your computer could just open Spotlight and comb through your stuff. Every Mac has far better protection (separate user accounts and filevault) than Evernote could possibly design into an app. That's just my opinion, though.

Hi. I don't think LastPass was ever certain if they got hacked or what was taken, right? My understanding is that whatever happened, if the evildoers got a tiny amount of encrypted data (usernames and passwords), it hasn't apparently resulted in anyone's account actually getting hacked. Evernote does a lot of great things, but when it comes to encryption and passwords, I think LastPass is going to come out ahead in any comparison. That's because they do it for a living. For example, Evernote doesn't offer strong encryption of data (64-bit).

As for the password protected account on the Mac, I think it is really just for show, because anyone with physical access to your computer could just open Spotlight and comb through your stuff. Every Mac has far better protection (separate user accounts and filevault) than Evernote could possibly design into an app. That's just my opinion, though.

I didn't follow up on that news. But all i am pointing out is, even the most secured services may be hacked by sophisticated attacks (be it lastpass, evernote or gmail). A group of people may track down the data centre of Evernote and walk out with their servers that contains user information. But Is it a likely scenario? No. 

But A user leaving his computer unlocked for 5 mins and a co-worker/friend snooping into the Evernote is a more likely scenario...and also a scenario that can be easily stopped by adding a basic passcode.

64-128 bit encryption is great, and I am sure eventually evernote will do more R&D on those areas to prevent unauthorised access. They have well over 200million in funding to date and also looking to go IPO in 2015. So I am sure all those money will eventually go somewhere to make the product more secured for sophisticated external hacks. 

• Level 5*

I didn't follow up on that news. But all i am pointing out is, even the most secured services may be hacked by sophisticated attacks (be it lastpass, evernote or gmail). A group of people may track down the data centre of Evernote and walk out with their servers that contains user information. But Is it a likely scenario? No. 

But A user leaving his computer unlocked for 5 mins and a co-worker/friend snooping into the Evernote is a more likely scenario...and also a scenario that can be easily stopped by adding a basic passcode.

64-128 bit encryption is great, and I am sure eventually evernote will do more R&D on those areas to prevent unauthorised access. They have well over 200million in funding to date and also looking to go IPO in 2015. So I am sure all those money will eventually go somewhere to make the product more secured for sophisticated external hacks.

Good points.

Regarding your scenario, to put my advice another way -- secure your device and Evernote will be secure. If I were in your scenario, I could do far more to protect myself now than Evernote could do with all of their money and R+D. I think Evernote would agree (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/1716-make-encryption-global/?p=18623).

How? I have a hot corner (see your preferences) set so that just swiping into the corner of the screen shuts the screen off. It takes less than a second and the entire computer is locked. Even if it were stolen, the drive is encrypted (filevault), so it is pretty unlikely anything (not just Evernote) would be compromised. If someone wants to use your computer, just tap your name in the upper right hand corner, select the guest account (see your preferences) and you are secured.

A "simple passcode lock" does pretty much nothing except keep out the casual user.  IE, a guest in your home who has access to your computer.  It won't keep out a hacker. 

I don't know about a Lastpass hack.  I do know Roboform encrypts your data on their servers & they do not have the encryption password, which is a different password than your account password, unless the user is uninformed/lazy & uses the same one for both.  IOW, if you forget your encryption password, you have lost your data forever.  Roboform cannot send it to you b/c they don't have it.  What that means is even if Roboform servers got hacked & someone had access to your Roboform data, they still can't view it unless/until they use a brute force attack to get your encryption password.  I would guess Lastpass is similar in that respect, since it's a highly regarded password manager. 

• Like 1

Good points.

Regarding your scenario, to put my advice another way -- secure your device and Evernote will be secure. If I were in your scenario, I could do far more to protect myself now than Evernote could do with all of their money and R+D. I think Evernote would agree (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/1716-make-encryption-global/?p=18623).

How? I have a hot corner (see your preferences) set so that just swiping into the corner of the screen shuts the screen off. It takes less than a second and the entire computer is locked. Even if it were stolen, the drive is encrypted (filevault), so it is pretty unlikely anything (not just Evernote) would be compromised. If someone wants to use your computer, just tap your name in the upper right hand corner, select the guest account (see your preferences) and you are secured.

The hot corner is a great idea. I think I am going to do that too.

I agree with all the encryption and user switching. I use both. 

But my point still remains -- When my evernote app is closed, and I am away from my computer for 2 mins (without a screen lock) -- Someone can come and sit on my chair, Find evernote in applications ...open it and note down my information...close evernote and leave.

A passcode creates an addition layer of security so that when the application opens -- my notes are not straight away visible.

Think about it...If you leave your computer unattended for even 2 mins today, and your screensaver/lock doesnt kick in (or you forget), I can go and open your evernote and see whats in there. Regardless of all your encryption and security setup, you cant stop me :)

Depending on what you have stored there you would either care or not care.  For my case - i think its absolutely necessary. So I am rooting for a Passcode lock.

A "simple passcode lock" does pretty much nothing except keep out the casual user.  IE, a guest in your home who has access to your computer.  It won't keep out a hacker. 

Exactly. It won't keep out hackers and it doesn't need to. I am talking about those "Casual users" who can come to my computer today and read my stuff. With a Passcode lock, they can't access my evernote. 

Exactly. It won't keep out hackers and it doesn't need to. I am talking about those "Casual users" who can come to my computer today and read my stuff. With a Passcode lock, they can't access my evernote.

Or...just see post #2. That's Evernote's recommendation:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/6002-feature-request-option-to-require-passcode/?p=52934

• Like 1

If I'm away from my computer for two minutes, the screen locks and a password is required. (Depending on circumstances, I may also use Fast User Switching to switch to the unpasswreded guest account) I fail to see how having to remember to close out Evernote every time I walk away from the computer is any more secure. However, we can argue this until the cows come home. Unless and until Evernote implements the feature you want, your option is to use a passcode on your computer.

Best of luck.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Good points.

The hot corner is a great idea. I think I am going to do that too.

I agree with all the encryption and user switching. I use both. 

But my point still remains -- When my evernote app is closed, and I am away from my computer for 2 mins (without a screen lock) -- Someone can come and sit on my chair, Find evernote in applications ...open it and note down my information...close evernote and leave.

A passcode creates an addition layer of security so that when the application opens -- my notes are not straight away visible.

Think about it...If you leave your computer unattended for even 2 mins today, and your screensaver/lock doesnt kick in (or you forget), I can go and open your evernote and see whats in there. Regardless of all your encryption and security setup, you cant stop me :)

Depending on what you have stored there you would either care or not care.  For my case - i think its absolutely necessary. So I am rooting for a Passcode lock.

Well again its all about convenience and who do you trust. Lastpass was hacked 2 years back. Evernote makes it easy to store information and find them. Even though i dont condone people to store things like password out in the open, but evernote certainly has the ability to store sensitive information. The encryption feature is also great but sadly its on "Per note" basis and not on entire account or notebook.

A "simple passcode lock" does pretty much nothing except keep out the casual user. IE, a guest in your home who has access to your computer. It won't keep out a hacker.

Well, I always lock my computer, so the two minute unattended computer just doesn't happen. Why? It only takes a flick of my finger (hot corner > screensaver).

If Evernote did provide password protection, you'd have to remember to lock your app with a passcode as well, so I don't see the difference. In fact, you can log out now and achieve the exact same result. Evernote would be developing something that gives you less security than you have now along with more hassle (how are they going to improve on a flick of the finger that locks up everything in my computer within a nearly impenetrable file vault?). I'm afraid I don't see the appeal.

BUT, that's cool. I don't make the decisions around here. I'm just another user like yourself. Evernote staff read these forums, so they'll see your request.

• Like 2

I second this request.

The diary application "One Day" requires a password.  Evernote could to.  And should, given what some of us put in it.

Not sure why this entire discussion thread is about "other ways" to keep Evernote data secure.  Why not just add a password feature and move on?

Other ways are discussed in order to inform users of, well, other viable ways that are currently available to protect sensitive information. We are users, just like yourself. So unless & until Evernote decides to add a password to their desktop apps, other methods are all that are available to users.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, markeymac said:

I've been waiting for evernote to have a passcode feature for macbook and windows laptop but to this date in spite of having premium account, you have not activated this      feature in macbook, windows desktop and laptop!!!! Why???? I've been so loyal to evernote to the point of promoting it to my friends to download because of its usefulness. Would appreciate if you can make the passcode feature soonest so security wise, evernote in my macbook, windows desktop and laptop/tablet is not vulnerable.

Could you add your vote to this request.  (Voting buttons at the upper left corner) Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 10.21.26 PM.png

There is no guarantee, but the more votes we get will indicate user interest and the priority of the requests being made.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, jrpeterson5 said:

I store bank and credit card statements in my Evernote so would LOVE the ability to lock the program at user discretion.  Please add!!

Voting buttons for the request are at the top left corner of the discussion.

As to protecting your sensitive data, you might look into your device security options.

• Like 1
On 8/15/2016 at 3:09 PM, s2sailor said:

Just curious, why isn't the OS passcode lock good enough?  Personally I can't think of any reason why I would need to lock my EN data but would be ok with having everything else on the laptop open and available.

I can! If I let someone on my computer to troubleshoot ANYTHING else, I would NEVER want my EVERNOTE accessible to ANYONE for ANY REASON - all my passwords adn sensitive data are there adn Evernote has completely replaced Word for me logging in all my important creditor and contract info! NEED A PASSWORD on Mac Version of EVERNOTE PLEASE> 

On 7/23/2013 at 10:06 PM, Saad K said:

I know User accounts on desktop OS gives you an overall security. However if someone really uses Evernote as his/her Second brain, even a slightest mistake of not logging off or switching to a different user can cost big.

If someone really wants to use your Machine for the purpose of looking at your personal information, they aren't going to ask you for it (so no chance of user switching). They will just see the opportunity and take advantage of Evernote's search feature when you are away for 2 mins.

I agree 100%! I absolutely use Evernote as my 2nd brain (well put) and a mistake with log out could be devestating! 

Edited by healthyandgreen123
novice user, needed to phrase better, sorry!

absolutely necessary!!! My account has been hacked twice in 2021, from Canada and from Pakistan. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? What the actual F?? This is not acceptable in any way, password protection has to be a standard, as is it on every social media or email account

• Level 5

The EN account requires to enter a password. There is no security gap - except of that mega risk sitting in front of the monitor, I mean.

How can an account be accessed ? Very easy, by one of these deficiencies:

• Reused identical or similar passwords - they get cracked in a breach, and are then tried automatically on a number of other services. Hint: EN has not been cracked, the data is from other services. Check here:   https://haveibeenpwned.com
  • Weak passwords, that can be cracked trough trying or through a dictionary approach. To work around IP blocking, Hackers switched from brute forcing one account (= rapidfire trying lists of passwords on a single account) to spraying (= slowly trying passwords on a high number of accounts, avoiding rapid access attempts to the same account).
  • Having malware on the own computer, often a combination of several tools like keyloggers, screen grabbers etc.

How to avoid it ?

• First and foremost, use individual, strong passwords for each account. Get a password manager to keep track.
  • Enable 2FA to create another Lager of security 
  • Make sure your computer is clean - much less a problem on Macs than on Windows.

If you want to log in every time you use EN, simply log out every time you use it. You can keep your data on the drive, which speeds up logging in. Nobody but yourself stops you to do it, case you want to enter your password every time you open EN. Nothing needs to be changed to make this work, except your own habits.

Personally I think on a personal computer with properly created user accounts, there is no need to lock every single access. On a public or work computer you may use the web client in a private Browser window instead. This will however not protect your login data if the computer itself is compromised. It is safer if on a move to use the mobile client instead.