jtp51

windows 8 How do I search within a note?

The Windows 8 Search Charm works great for finding a note. However, how do I search within a note?

In the Evernote Mac App, I can type command+F when I'm in a note and I'm able to search within the note.

Thanks,

Todd

@ShugaShane: Thanks for the reply, but I think that jtp51 is looking for how to search inside a note on WIndows 8, rather than how to filter your notes list. The search grammar doesn't work in the internal note search. I was going to answer similarly to you, then I realized what he was asking for, and I didn't have my Win 8 client available at hand.

@jefito - That is correct, I want to search inside a note in Evernote Touch on Windows 8. This is a sizable feature missed.

I know it's been a while and everyone is aware that a fix is available for this now but control+F in the note will bring up a search box

• Like 1

On windows, Ctrl + F now brings up a thin bar at the bottom of the window. I missed it at first, but just start typing and you'll see it work.

58 minutes ago, ReidGould said:

On windows, Ctrl + F now brings up a thin bar at the bottom of the window. I missed it at first, but just start typing and you'll see it work.

Yes. That's been available in the standard Windows client for quite a while, years years, in fact, but I think that the original poster was referring to the old app you cloud download from the Windows Store, which is a different beast altogether; if it's been added there, then cool...

Although I liked it better when the default for the search box always displayed up top was searching all notebooks, not just the one you happened to have open.   Now I have to remember to do the CNTR F extra step.

Regards,   Jay

5 hours ago, Jaybird said:

Although I liked it better when the default for the search box always displayed up top was searching all notebooks, not just the one you happened to have open.   Now I have to remember to do the CNTR F extra step.

You can change the default behavior of that search control: Tools / Options / Search / "Clear context on search": when checked, the F6 search notes key will search all notes. When unchecked, F6 will keep the current context (notebook, tags, etc.).

5 hours ago, Jaybird said:

Regards,   Jay

Ctrl-F is just for text inside the note you are viewing.  

If you want search to be for all notes every time you hit F6, go to Tools - Options - Search and make sure Clear context on search is checked.

Sorry, I believe I meant the CNTR Q searches everything.  I tried your config idea, and my clear context was already checked and if I am in a small notebook, it still will not search other notebooks unless I do a CNTR Q search.  I am not sure what F6 is doing, I do not see it in the menus that I can find.

26 minutes ago, Jaybird said:

CNTR Q searches everything

Ctrl+Q appears to follow the same rules that F6 does. The setting for  Tools / Options / Search / "Clear context on search" applies.

27 minutes ago, Jaybird said:

I am not sure what F6 is doing

Try it?

37 minutes ago, Jaybird said:

I am not sure what F6 is doing, I do not see it in the menus that I can find.

Got to Tools - Options - Shortcut keys and you will see some of the shortcut keys for EN.