Edit original PDF?

arvidlille

@arvidlille - Depends.

If you are annotating an existing Skitch annotated PDF, either through Skitch directly or through opening of that PDF from Evernote to Skitch, then any re-annotations you do to that PDF should replace the existing PDF file with the updated. You should not have multiple copies of the Note.

If you made a copy, exported the PDF, dropped it into an email and sent it around, etc then the PDF may have been flattened (meaning the annotations are directly added to the PDF) then this would be the same as opening a new PDF for annotating and you'd end up with a second copy.

We are working on a solution that would work around this issue. 

@arvidlille - Depends.

If you are annotating an existing Skitch annotated PDF, either through Skitch directly or through opening of that PDF from Evernote to Skitch, then any re-annotations you do to that PDF should replace the existing PDF file with the updated. You should not have multiple copies of the Note.

If you made a copy, exported the PDF, dropped it into an email and sent it around, etc then the PDF may have been flattened (meaning the annotations are directly added to the PDF) then this would be the same as opening a new PDF for annotating and you'd end up with a second copy.

We are working on a solution that would work around this issue.

Ok, thanks for the answer. Keep up the good work :)

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry to bring back this rather old topic, but there's a function I really miss on Skitch and I would like to suggest.

I like the Skitch annotated version of pdf's so much htat I really want to use it for pretty much every pdf i need to work with from finder. However, when opening a pdf on Skitch from finder and trying to save it back, it autoamatically generates an evernote note with the modified version. If i want to replace original, i have to drag it to the finder window, drop it and replace.

It'd be great to allow for Skitch to "Save replacing original" (e.g. cmd+Shift+S) that automatically replaces original finder document.

In case you are wondering about why i need that, I will provide some context: I use a reference software to keep thousands of scientific papers. FOr many reasons evernote is not suitable for this task. however, the Skitch summary function is very very useful to be able to annotate these papers and review them at a glance. I can open pdfs with skitch from the application, but if i want to save the summary  i need to go find the folder where the original file is, and drag it there. Couldn't we make it easier?

Thanks a lot! Keep the good work. Skitch is an amazing tool that would benefit from this and text recognition (for highlighting). Limiting its use to the Evernote notes is putting handcuffs to a very powerful application.

Juan

• 2 months later...

I am having trouble annotating pdf's in skitch as well....It seems if I save the pdf to adobe and then email it to myself it works.  If the pdf comes from another source it is impossible to save it with annotations!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!

Archived