(Archived) Windows Beta 5 is Not Visually Pleasing

describer

I may be in the minority on this one, but wanted to voice my opinion. I know that the team worked hard to flatten the GUI of Windows Beta 5 - but I don't like it.  It looks like a work in progress and not a professional product that people will pay money to use.  I miss the lack of color and hate the bold, bland toolbar.

Granted - functionality comes first. So far I have not had any bad surprises on the usability front. So thumbs up there. But if you're staring at a screen for hours on end, it should look good.

+1 on this.  The new Windows "flat" look is bad enough as it is, but Evernote's implementation is even worse.  It is much harder to work with, slower, and some of the moves of commonly used functions are difficult and unnecessary, IMO.  I might tolerate this in Windows Metro, but not on the desktop!

Sorry buddy  - nothing is visually pleasing on Windows. Trust me, I have both top of the line machines on the Mac and Windows 8 end - after using Windows 8 for 3 months, it is just rubbish and nothing works like it should. I think the OS (i.e. Windows 8) is fundamentally flawed....hopefully microsoft to fix it soon ; the OS is designed for a tablet and not a desktop

• Level 5*

Distinguish:

OS -- operating system

UI -- view on operating system objects, plus associated look/feel requirements for applications.

The OS is actually quite good, particularly with respect to prior versions of Windows. The OS for tablets and desktops is actually pretty much the same, modulo special device requirements (pointing devices, tough screen, etc.)

The UI, not so much.

• Level 5*

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. I'm fine with Metro, and I am quite keen on the Windows update for Evernote. I mainly use Mac and find the UI (and the OS) to be quite enjoyable as well. It is all a lot better than it was ten or twenty years ago, so you won't hear too many complaints from me about Microsoft or Apple.

Any change is bound to annoy people. Ideally, we would have more customizability. I don't understand the aversion to making the Evernote UI customizable myself, and would like to see that coded into the app someday.

• Level 5

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. .

Assuming the eye of the beholder has 20/20 vision and also has no problems with shade differences in the subtle color differences of the UI, then the new version will be fine.

• Level 5*

Assuming the eye of the beholder has 20/20 vision and also has no problems with shade differences in the subtle color differences of the UI, then the new version will be fine.

As you probably know, I actually like grays quite a bit, but cannot tolerate the gray text on gray background that plagues Evernote on the Mac (and other Apple stuff as well). I am pleased to see (the last time I checked) that there is no gray / gray in the Windows UI. I would call this a considerable improvement.

Regardless of how I feel about gray, though, the point I was making (and have been for years) is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and users ought to be able to customize their UI a lot more than we currently can. Why everyone should be forced to use exactly the same UI is a mystery I have not solved yet.

Tastes do differ. For me, I feel like I'm going blind looking at an undifferentiated snowfield.

Regards,

Gary

I may be in the minority on this one, but wanted to voice my opinion. I know that the team worked hard to flatten the GUI of Windows Beta 5 - but I don't like it.  It looks like a work in progress and not a professional product that people will pay money to use.  I miss the lack of color and hate the bold, bland toolbar.

Granted - functionality comes first. So far I have not had any bad surprises on the usability front. So thumbs up there. But if you're staring at a screen for hours on end, it should look good.

+1 on this.  The new Windows "flat" look is bad enough as it is, but Evernote's implementation is even worse.  It is much harder to work with, slower, and some of the moves of commonly used functions are difficult and unnecessary, IMO.  I might tolerate this in Windows Metro, but not on the desktop!

I'm with you on this. My first impression of the flat look of Beta 5 was a very mature "yech". Functionality is fine (once I got used to where everything is). I would prefer some more definition between sections - be it colour (non-american, forgive my excess vowels) or tone. 

Also why the ALL CAPS in the menu bar? Makes it harder to read and again, visually displeasing. 

Archived