Can an image be resized?

Can an image be manually resized in a note, or at least automatically to fit the display? For me this is in Windows on a laptop and in an android mobile.

I tried a search first, and found exactly this same subject, but then realized the conversation was in early 2012. Is this now something we can do?

Also have I asked this question in the right section, Im a bit confused by all the instructions, and not sure what all the terms mean  :unsure:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Rain's wet,  wind blows,  Evernote doesn't re-size images.  It's not exactly a given that a storage and retrieval system will also help you manage images - there are lots of options out there that already do that;  they don't do OCR,  multi-gigabyte storage or sophisticated searches either...

• 1 month later...

Try the Image Resizer+ app!

I just discovered this! I agree it's pretty ridiculous that Evernote doesn't have some sort of in-app solution for this, but until that happens I really needed to resize images I upload to notes so they simply don't take up so much darn space. I consulted the forums and found lots of very irritated longtime users. I'm still so new I don't even know what Skitch is, except to note that users didn't find it all that satisfactory for this use.

Everyone has different needs, but mine are essentially these:

I snap pics with my iPhone 5S. I occasionally upload one or a few to Evernote. Never thought I had an issue until I had a particularly active month and got a notice that I'd maxed out my space for the month. Huh? Well I'm moderately tech savvy, but this just shows my shortage of understanding. I just thought it would magically upload and resize itself...apparently. So I stopped using Evernote so much. 

And then I downloaded Evernote to my desktop and saw some of the images I'd previously uploaded, but this time on my laptop (an ancient MacBook with a small screen). They were HUGE, and needlessly so. Some look a bit distorted.

So I happened to mention the issue to a tech friend who consulted the App Store for a solution. Enter the Image Resizer+ app for 99 cents. SUPER simple. I'd tapped the buy button before seeing that there were some bad reviews. I swore. Then I tried the app. Not sure what the others are trying to do and not accomplishing, but it is PERFECT for my needs. The only thing better would be if Evernote incorporated something like it into their menu of options... anyway, for 99 cents, that's my solution. Hope it helps someone else out there with simple needs like mine.

Here is my procedure:

1. right click photo or note and select "rename".

2. rename with something appropriate and include the file name extention ".jpg".

3. right click and select "open with" select irfanview (my image manipulating program).

4. Resize, resample, cut, crop, whatever, then I select "save as (original location)" and replace the file.

5. Problem solved.

I perform this task so as to not have very large images for my receipts (photo taken with Samsung Galaxy S4)

-Gawain

• 2 months later...

Here is my contribution on the topic.

I use evernote a lot to take downs notes, or to organise ideas in my head. When i need to resize a picture in my notes, i will copy and paste it onto MS Powerpoint. Re-size it by dragging the edges, before pasting it back into evernote again. This is the fast method i have found so far.

Might take some trial and error to get the perfect size you are looking for.

Howdy, Nana:

In the Windows world, there are a myriad of options that resize and compress images.

A simple and fast freeware option is: RIOT

It can be found at: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/riot.html

My favorite is a fantastic photo application (freeware) called: Zoner Photo Studio

It can be found at: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/zonerphoto.html

Hope this proves helpful!

Alan

In my opinion this thread can be said to be about two things.
A lot of it so far is about whether Evernote is an image manipulation tool or not and other tools to resize (adn crop etc) images.

I'm guessing that Nana was after a solution for the same problem I am:

I don't want to modify the image I attached to a document. All I want to do is to be able to include it in the text flow in something other than 1:1 pixel size. Any image snapped with a camera will be much to large in evernote (not in terms of actual size in bytes but in terms of screen real estate.

I.e. all I want to do is to be able to do is to resize the displayed image (i.e. not the underlying image). This should be much easier than "image modification" as someone mentioned.

Just look at MS word for example, simple image handles at the edges would do it for me =)

Thanks

Any image snapped with a camera will be much to large in evernote (not in terms of actual size in bytes but in terms of screen real estate.I.e. all I want to do is to be able to do is to resize the displayed image (i.e. not the underlying image). This should be much easier than "image modification" as someone mentioned.

If this were an AUTOMATIC option with the ability to tap on image to temporarily enlarge for viewing... this would be practical and useful.

Thank you!

Alan

Any image snapped with a camera will be much to large in evernote (not in terms of actual size in bytes but in terms of screen real estate.I.e. all I want to do is to be able to do is to resize the displayed image (i.e. not the underlying image). This should be much easier than "image modification" as someone mentioned.

If this were an AUTOMATIC option with the ability to tap on image to temporarily enlarge for viewing... this would be practical and useful.

Thank you!

Alan

Agreed! That would be even better. I very very rarely want my whole screen filled with the image in question =)

Thanks Alan

I'd actually rather it have a manual option than automatic (or at least a small, medium, large choice) as sometimes I want to really see the image in detail, but most of the time a thumbnail would be fine.  Also, width resizing is already automatic but that still makes for a much larger (height-wise) image view than necessary at times.)  Sometimes the best reason to have an image in a note is so that a search on text in the image will find the note later.   Whether automatic or not, the ability to shrink the view (not edit the actual image file) as described above would be very helpful on the OS X and Windows versions of Evernote to provide a little more control of the formatting of a notes page.  (I'm not looking to make it a word processor but some formatting makes it easer to read longer notes later.)  That is one of the features I miss from Microsoft OneNote.  I was a huge OneNote user (and trainer) for many years.  (I even switched to Evernote about five years ago then went back to OneNote.)  However, I'm back to Evernote (congratulations to the developers for all the improvements in the past five years) and sticking with it now having given up OneNote. This is primarly due to Evernote's ease of use across the four platforms I use.  (Android phone, iPad, Windows laptop, and occasionally a MacBook.)  I'm now heavy Evernote user (and training others on it), but there is definitely room for improvement with regards to note formatting. Resizing an image "preview" is a component of that.

I suspect one issue with giving the user a size choice for an image view is that would complicate how the current automatic preview size works especially on mobile devices, which already have the ability to tap the image and see it full-screen.  Maybe just providing a small/medium/original choice with original keeping the current automatic rescaling based on width would be a best of both worlds.

On OSX:

1) open up your note with the image in the OSX Evernote app. 

2) right click and Open With…  -> Preview (default)

3) resize your image in preview

4) save and close preview

done.  Image resized.   No need to get any extra app. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is my number one gripe with Evernote.  I would very much like to be able to insert a photo into a note, grab the corner, and shrink it down to a smaller version.  And when I say smaller version, I mean smaller in terms of the note area it occupies, not the file size.  I'm well aware of multiple ways to reduce the file size of an image.  I'm not concerned about that.

This is one of the areas where I think MS OneNote is so much better(or is that the program whose name we dare not speaketh here?).  The note area of a OneNote note is a blank canvas where one can insert pictures, text boxes, tables, etc., and move them around freely.  IMO, that is far superior to the EN way of doing things.

I'm bothered so much by this that I'm considering switching to OneNote.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're told that the editor is having a rewrite,  so maybe there'll be some more functionality in there in an update or two..

A highly overdue rewrite. If there wasn't such a lack of competition - and I don't include awful Dropbox synching tools such as MacJournal, Scrivener et. al among them - EN would not be used by half as many people today.

• Level 5*

Well we're told that the editor is having a rewrite,  so maybe there'll be some more functionality in there in an update or two..

A highly overdue rewrite. If there wasn't such a lack of competition - and I don't include awful Dropbox synching tools such as MacJournal, Scrivener et. al among them - EN would not be used by half as many people today.

Possibly a bit harsh?  I have quick and free access to a (Windows) image resizer outside of Evernote when I need it - which is very infrequently -  and I'd imagine quite a few of the other 100M or so users fall into the same camp.  I know it's frustrating when the app doesn't do exactly what you want,  but there's a long list of things Evernote is probably working on either because various people have been very vocal about their need for this or that feature,  or about the fact that something isn't working so well and needs an update.  Delivering on any of those is going to take a little time,  depending on where it is in the list...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was a dealbreaker for me, as I write a lot of notes with images for work, and it was

annoying to have to resize large images out-of-app to make my note readable.

Just came back and happy to see that annotation is integrated, though mysteriously, 

no resize. So I can draw funky arrows on my images, and even crop them... but still

no resize.

I find now I can right-click on the image and open up my own editor (Irfanview/Paint.Net)

and do the resizing from there. At least that's a work-around.

What I'd love though is actually an in-note resize, just for display. So the original image

stays the same resolution, and just the view/display of the image changes, so I can lay

out my note more nicely. Whaddya say?

• Level 5*

The developers don't (normally) comment on individual issues,  so I doubt you'll get any detailed explanations.  As a matter of interest what OS are you running and which version(s) of Evernote do you use?

I agree, Nana Helen and others, that it's a pain not to be able to click and resize notes in Evernote. I have no doubt they will add that functionality at some point :)

My chosen solution to this, usually, is to use my favourite screen capture utility – Snagit. Yes, it's paid for; but it's far superior to any other screen capture solution – free or paid for – that I have ever used.

If I want to add an image to Evernote, then very often I can just capture it with Snagit – as a screen capture – else open its as an image, which is just as with any image editor. Having resized it I can then "Share" it to Evernote directly, choosing the notebook, note title and description, on the way.

It's an extra step – but it's a decent workaround. And the editing features in Snagit – arrows, circles, squares, text, et cetera – are superior to those in Skitch.

Cheers

Malc

• 2 months later...

To resize image:

1. Open up the note in Evernote that has the photo already in it that you want to resize.
  2. Right click on photo and select "Open With" > then chose Paint.
  3. Once inside Paint resize the image
  4. Click save in Paint
  5. Close paint and go back into Evernote
  6. Ba da bing bada boom, the photo is now resized in your note!

To resize image:

1. Open up the note in Evernote that has the photo already in it that you want to resize.
  2. Right click on photo and select "Open With" > then chose Paint.
  3. Once inside Paint resize the image
  4. Click save in Paint
  5. Close paint and go back into Evernote
  6. Ba da bing bada boom, the photo is now resized in your note!

but it does not keep the resolution of your file.

• Level 5*

Paint is a fairly basic tool - use 'open with' and another application if you wish to specify the resolution.  Note that HD images added to Evernote are coded into the database and may lose definition because of that translation,  not because they are being edited elsewhere.

Many of the responses and comments and this thread answer the very general question of:

How, in Windows or on a Mac, do I change the resolution of an image?

That is not Evernote specific and, I my opinion, not what this thread is about.

The original question still stands:

From an Evernote note layout perspective, Is it possible to re-size an image (while keeping the original resolution)?

And the answer to that question is sadly still No.

The workaround suggestions are somewhat helpful, but Evernote, please realize that these are nowhere near usable workarounds.

Thank you

And the sad thing IT WAS THERE! I stiil have old notes with resized images and being still in original resolution. The main question: why this feature was removed?

Many of the responses and comments and this thread answer the very general question of:

How, in Windows or on a Mac, do I change the resolution of an image?

That is not Evernote specific and, I my opinion, not what this thread is about.

The original question still stands:

From an Evernote note layout perspective, Is it possible to re-size an image (while keeping the original resolution)?

And the answer to that question is sadly still No.

The workaround suggestions are somewhat helpful, but Evernote, please realize that these are nowhere near usable workarounds.

Thank you

• 2 months later...

But why is re-sizing not part of Evernote.  This is also my number one gripe with the product and I would use it far more if it was part of the basic functionality.  When using Evernote on my cell phone it uses up my bandwidth very quickly and it is not as if my phone can show high resolution images (or that I care to have them).

A major failing of Evernote and one reason they need some competition to get these types of legacy feature failures resolved.

There is something slightly arrogant at Evernote.  They never respond to individual requests or comments.  When you are the market leader I guess you can afford to be a little aloof. 

I am looking at a QNAP solution with their Qnotes app.  This might be the answer as then you have high speed note taking capability in your own building as well as when out and about.

Regards

Thomas

• Level 5*

There is something slightly arrogant at Evernote.  They never respond to individual requests or comments.  When you are the market leader I guess you can afford to be a little aloof. 

Just a comment on this: the forums here are set up as user forums, and not as an official support forum. The support situation is described here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/. Evernote staff do have presence on these forums (and more would always be welcome), and do read everything, including feature requests, but traditionally they don't reply to everything. Personally, I don't find it to be arrogant; I've always found their interactions here on the forums to be polite and professional. Frankly, there are a lot of us, and less of them...

• 1 month later...

On PC, my way is to right click the image, and open it with mspainter, or any other image edit programs.

For example, the mspainter can resize the image and after saving, you can get the resized image in evernote.

However, I still not found good way to do it on ipad or iphone. So the final solution would be that Evernote add some image operation functions.

• 1 month later...
  • Ex Employees

Yes! (and no) You can resize images on your Evernote for Mac Desktop. Any images that you have in a note can be resized by clicking on them and dragging the corner.

mac-5.6-2.gif

I realize that the OP was asking for Windows and Android - This is currently not available for those device, but hopefully will in future versions.

• 4 months later...

Yes you can. Go to "Annotate this note" (top right) , choose an image. In there you have a resize option at the bottom left. (the tool can be switched from crop to resize. :)

What OS does this tip work with?  I'm on a Chromebook, and I don't see anything that says "Annotate this note".  :(

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't work in Windows either (Win 10, Evernote version 5.9.2.8975).  OneNote (as much as I hate to say it) is way better if you are constantly pasting in pictures and need to resize.  Sucks that Evernote focuses so much effort on iOS.  I actually switched to OneNote and trying to go back to Evernote because of it's ability to integrate with other apps I use (Nozbe, Dropbox, Xmind).  But this simple concept of not being able to resize an image is nuts.  I left in the first place because Evernote messed up links (I use lots of links to move around to different notes in the desktop app). And also the support for bullet lists (especially checkbox) is horrilble when you attempt to edit your notes on an Android device.  And I'm a Premium member - but finding it difficult to pay for what has become a horrible note taking App.  I resist OneNote because I just don't want to commit anymore to that eco-system (MS).  But it's all about productivity and right now, I'm spending more time just trying to do simple things with Evernote that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and kiss this app goodbye.  Sucks, have been using for 4 years or so...

From another thread on this topic:

Posted by Justin Street

*** Paste ***Hi there,

This feature is in beta in our latest beta release: https://discussion.e...ndows-592-beta/

We'd love to know what you think. 

*** End Paste ***

I had the Beta and needed to actually press many times before I could get it working, but it WORKS!  btw, Beta of 5.9.3 is out now so if you allow Prereleases, this one behaves better (can quickly see a difference between 5.9.2 and 5.9.3)

I think I may have goofed. Is this thread just for Windows and MAC users of Evernote?

(I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm the only one chiming in from a Chrome OS perspective.)

Please feel free to chastise and/or throw me out of this thread now. I'll try not to cry - - too much!

I think I may have goofed. Is this thread just for Windows and MAC users of Evernote?

(I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm the only one chiming in from a Chrome OS perspective.)

Please feel free to chastise and/or throw me out of this thread now. I'll try not to cry - - too much!

I think the original question was about Windows but the need is for sure universal. And if Evernote monitors these posts, all OS feedback is useful.

• 4 months later...

STOP COMPLAINING!

There is other note software that allows you to do this if you don't like your images taking up your whole screen you should switch to one of them and not complain.

Personally, my vision is impaired so I am quite happy that the images take up my whole screen as i don't have to wear my glasses it's perfect.

On 02/03/2016 at 11:13 AM, dragotron said:

"....if you don't like your images taking up your whole screen you should switch to one of them and not complain."

Just for clarification - - I don't think the people here are "complaining" about images being too large, per se, but rather about having no ability to Resize an Image (to make it Smaller - or even Larger if you like) so as to fit nicely in a specified area of their publication.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread is funny haha - how long can one spend discussing a feature that is so blindingly obviously MISSING and so incredibly obviously USEFUL?  To an alien it would be hilarious... just DO IT and stop talking about it PLEASE PLEASE!  We are no longer in the 1980s and the ability to RENDER an image in a user defined WINDOW is just... soooooo basic. Please. No more chatter.  Or excuses.  Bring it.  Thank you.  Love you.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, ballyhoo said:

This thread is funny haha - how long can one spend discussing a feature that is so blindingly obviously MISSING and so incredibly obviously USEFUL?  To an alien it would be hilarious... just DO IT and stop talking about it PLEASE PLEASE!  We are no longer in the 1980s and the ability to RENDER an image in a user defined WINDOW is just... soooooo basic. Please. No more chatter.  Or excuses.  Bring it.  Thank you.  Love you.

You can resize images with the current Windows app, have been able to for a few releases.  Only smaller though.

Well filled with excitement and hoping that EN might have the latest in WYSIWYG technology (remember that from the 80s?) I have just downloaded the latest windows update (6.2.4.3244) onto my Windows 10 machine, and blow me down it seems just the same ie I can open it natively in Skitch, I can crop, but resize?  Where are those nice drag-handles in the corners? Maybe I am missing something, I sincerely hope so, but it seems like the same old cack.  Other features are really nice, don't misunderstand, I love EN but this stuff is embarrasing, like 'oh, yes, to edit an image you first do sync, then do 'edit a copy' and then copy it back - or if you wait a while it might just work properly all on its own but anyways you should be really grateful it works at all coz its free' - these things put people off EN in my experience.

Many thanks for your persistence @csihilling! I find that after reboot and creating a new photo note in the latest windows version... I can indeed resize by dragging the blue dot, just exactly as you say!  It does not work on old notes, but lets emphasize the positive - this is a great leap forward.  Again, your support on this thread much appreciated, and perhaps others will find it and thus be saved from certain drudgery.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ballyhoo said:

Many thanks for your persistence @csihilling! I find that after reboot and creating a new photo note in the latest windows version... I can indeed resize by dragging the blue dot, just exactly as you say!  It does not work on old notes, but lets emphasize the positive - this is a great leap forward.  Again, your support on this thread much appreciated, and perhaps others will find it and thus be saved from certain drudgery.

You are welcome.  Not sure why you can't resize older pictures.  As a test, I just resized a jpeg from 2010, well before the change.  FWIW.

I see what you mean - I cannot find any other image that is unresizable, except the pwo I was looking at, which still refuse!   I think it may be too low-res after my efforts yesterday, but anyway I'm not at all bothered and this new feature is ace.  Hats off to Evernote. I am a paying user and these upgrades make me happy to do so.

• Level 5*

Just curious, @ballyhoo - I can't test at the moment because Evernote is rebuilding my notes full text search index. I have had problems with images in notes that have not been synced not being resizable. I wonder if the old notes are local, would it help to move them to a non-local notebook, synchronize, and try again? No idea why it should work/not work, but worth a try.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, FactMan said:

Just curious, @ballyhoo - I can't test at the moment because Evernote is rebuilding my notes full text search index. I have had problems with images in notes that have not been synced not being resizable. I wonder if the old notes are local, would it help to move them to a non-local notebook, synchronize, and try again? No idea why it should work/not work, but worth a try.

OK - I got to test it a little - some 2009 and 2010 notes that had images in them all allowed resizing. Except if they were small - no blue button for resizing was visible.

• 5 months later...

Hope I can contribute something usefull to this topic here. Had exactly the same situation today in a meeting when I imported the business card image into my meeting note. BANG 2448x3264 picture, way too big!

Well, I helped myself with a small trick, not using any image resizing with a tool.

Here what I did on my Windows PC:

1. Add a table with one cell
  2. Size the cell to the width you like
  3. Select the image in your note and cut it out (Ctrl+X)
  4. Place your coursor into the cell
  5. Paste the image back into the cell (Ctrl+V)

This way produced an acceptable result for me. You can still see the border around the cell but that doesn't bother me. The blurring was necessary, sorry.

evernoteimage.jpg.7db403b8d4a0e422ee383a721c6b721e.jpg

• 1 month later...

TheEvernoteer, I found the same solution as you just before seeing your answer. :D

By the way, the more I see posts from Evernote, the more I see the feature like this one which sounds very weird to not be already implemented in the application.

I'm a programmer too and I understand Evernote in some way considering the effort that often looks easy for someone, not a programmer to understand the difficulty to implement the feature. 

However, in a note software, something like resizing images both for readability but also to fit size for printing (that was my issue), the feature should really be an MVP (Minimum valuable product).

I think EverNote use the momentum of the greatnesses of the application in the last few years compared to other note taker tools but if obvious features like this one are continually postponed, EverNote will fall apart. Considering the steep price compared to last year, this sound not good in the following year about the popularity of this software.

For the moment, I paid 90$ for one year and I will do hacks like adding a table for resizing tables but I will not renew if Evernote doesn't listen and ship more obvious feature like this one.

• Level 5*

It's not a question (IMHO) of not implementing 'obvious features' - just the thousands of other outstanding requests; styles, collapsing text, nesting folders, picture editing, markdown, better web features, dark themes, RTL text, harmonised features, backups, print options...  the list goes on.  Oh.  And there's bitterly complained-of bugs in all clients,  variations in Search, and selective sync.  And the fact that all the OS's have this annoying thing of launching new versions every so often (looking at you Microsoft... and Google... and Apple...) - oh yeah,  and the new browser versions that are popping out every day now.

I just don't know what those developers are doing all day...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's not a question (IMHO) of not implementing 'obvious features' - just the thousands of other outstanding requests; styles, collapsing text, nesting folders, picture editing, markdown, better web features, dark themes, RTL text, harmonised features, backups, print options...  the list goes on.  Oh.  And there's bitterly complained-of bugs in all clients,  variations in Search, and selective sync.  And the fact that all the OS's have this annoying thing of launching new versions every so often (looking at you Microsoft... and Google... and Apple...) - oh yeah,  and the new browser versions that are popping out every day now.

I just don't know what those developers are doing all day...

Agree with you. With Evernote being so popular, their backlog must be YUGE and the prioritization is definitely a challenge.

As one who weighed in earlier in this thread, I was delighted to find (with some help from the forum - thanks guys!)  that the answer is 'yes, we added this feature, drag the little green dot - simples!' and I use this feature a lot.  The discussion here seems to suggest that this feature - which works a treat - is somehow not available.  Puzzled.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

As one who weighed in earlier in this thread, I was delighted to find (with some help from the forum - thanks guys!)  that the answer is 'yes, we added this feature, drag the little green dot - simples!' and I use this feature a lot.  The discussion here seems to suggest that this feature - which works a treat - is somehow not available.  Puzzled.

The green dot method makes the note look nice on screen but does not physically resize the actual image.  What you see is not what you get in print.  But yes,  we should still be emphasizing that if the online view is what matters to you,  it's taken care of.  Not sure if that applies to all the devices and clients in current use,  but it does work in Windows.

5 hours ago, ballyhoo said:

It's available on the PC, I just saw it. Great! The iOS app on an iPad doesn't have the feature though.

• Level 5
39 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The green dot method makes the note look nice on screen but does not physically resize the actual image.  What you see is not what you get in print.  But yes,  we should still be emphasizing that if the online view is what matters to you,  it's taken care of.  Not sure if that applies to all the devices and clients in current use,  but it does work in Windows.

I just tried it in Windows (it's a blue dot on the bottom right corner of the image for me), and it works brilliantly. And I find that when I print the note (whether to PDF or paper), the image is indeed resized. But perhaps this excellent functionality is because I haven't updated to the latest version? ;)

• Level 5*

Learning something new again..  last time I tried a print out,  the image took up a couple of sheets of paper - maybe the current version sticks for both display and printing.  In which case Evernote did a secret stealth fix and didn't tell any of us!  (Or maybe I saw it and forgot :huh:)

Anyhoo.  Good News!  Resize now seems freely available! :blink:

• 2 months later...

2017 and I still cannot tell my Evernote camara to take pictures in a reduced size... I have to do workarounds.

Is it that hard to implement it in the app?

Sometimes I wonder if its worth it to keep paying the premium subscription.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, l3utterfish said:

2017 and I still cannot tell my Evernote camara to take pictures in a reduced size... I have to do workarounds.

Is it that hard to implement it in the app?

Sometimes I wonder if its worth it to keep paying the premium subscription.

This is the Windows forum, in a thread discussing the possibility of resizing pictures after they're taken in the Windows desktop software. You may be looking for this thread in the Android forum:

• 1 month later...

I came here looking to resize images in my Evernote note, because when I insert images into a note, such as a journal page, Evernote ostensibly arbitrarily decides that some images have to be kept on screen in such a size that no matter how I large I make my window, my notes scroll off the screen; --which makes reading, editing, and otherwise working in / with that note awkward and difficult.

Sooo, while rain may be wet, and wind may blow, that Evernote behavior kinda sucks; --so putting the dismissive comments about rain and wind aside, I think wanting some control over how Evernote decides how large to make images in context of displaying the note onscreen is a legitimate and reasonable concern and request from us paying customers.

Oh, and unlike rain and wind, Evernote is a human creation that humans can do something about; if they are so inclined.

• Level 5

This was asked less than a week ago, in this post:

The answer is: Click in an image. This should cause a thin blue outline to appear around it. Go to the bottom right corner of the image, and there's a little blue dot. That dot is the handle to drag to resize. (I'm often windy, and sometimes all wet; but I think I'm right about this. ;))

Thanks Dave-in-Decatur!

My fault for not specifying the IMAGE FILE FORMAT information, as I find there is an important distinction now that I tried your suggestion.

I NOW find my problem is with .PDF FILE IMAGES posted into Evernote notes. For whatever reason, some of them cause Evernote to insist on running off screen, pretty much regardless of how big you make that window.

I find that your answer of clicking on the "image" and finding the blue dot on the bottom right corner, does work for JPEG images (e.g. .jpg) but does NOT work for .PDF files.

Is there another Easter-egg for .PDF file image resizing?

I don't have much call for, and haven't tried any other file formats.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are two main choices for PDF 'image' sizes - 'inline' so that the page can be read,  or 'attachment' where it shows up as an icon only.  In Windows rght-click the file to toggle between them.

Not sure what could be causing your issue with variable sizes - all my scanned documents come out scaling accurately to the window size.  That's in Windows and Evernote Desktop - what device and OS are you running?  Can you see any linking factor in the big images - are they all from your scanner / websites / internal emails?

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, MCShults said:

Is there another Easter-egg for .PDF file image resizing?

I keep my easter eggs are in a table
A pdf or image placed in a table cell will be limited to the cell width (tested on a Mac)

59703d2f6046d_ScreenShot2017-07-19at22_17_38.png.ed74ecbefc2080f17a2a35e52c07df01.png

This image shows a 2 column table with the pdf in the second column

Archived