How to scan directly to EN cloud.

I would like to avoid storing all my scanned documents on my computer. Is there a way to have them go directly to EN cloud? I can't find anything in settings.

It's helpful to indicate which client you're using.

If you're using a Mac and/or Windows desktop client, docs added will be contained in your local database. IOW, you're not really saving any disk space by adding it to Evernote. It's highly recommended you backup your

local database regularly. Please search the board on backup for more info. I would also recommend you keep copies of important docs also on your computer (outside of Evenote) or an external drive because of the reasons I mention in this post: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22654-newbie-with-basic-scan-questions/?p=115754

You can do this a number of ways. First way depends on your scanner, which if it is a Fujitsu scansnap, has the option of putting the scanned document right into evernote (or dropbox as well as any number of other cloud services). Fujitsu is the best option for converting paper into PDFs. I assume you don't use Fujitsu since you are asking this question. A second way for the mac involves an applescript which sets up a folder on the desktop that puts everything that goes into it directly into evernote without saving a copy on the computer. You dump your scanned docs into the folderand they go straight into evernote, and you can choose which folder to put the doc into. I have used this for some time and it is great! The web site is: http://veritrope.com/tech/evernote-desktop-folder/

THere may be a similar way on Windows, but since I don't use it, I can't help you there

• Level 5*

THere may be a similar way on Windows, but since I don't use it, I can't help you there

The premise of the question was to have the documents go directly to the cloud. I'm not sure that the import folder quite meets that, but it might, since the question's a little underspecified.

Technically, jefito, you are correct that the documents temporarily go to a local folder in the method described. The folder is however used only as a transient conduit to the cloud and no documents are stored locally. That is to say that as soon as they are directed to evernote, the local copy in the folder is immediately (and automatically) erased and no hard drive space is used up over time. 

. The folder is however used only as a transient conduit to the cloud and no documents are stored locally.

To clarify, the document is put into the local database, so disk space is consumed on your hard drive. It does not live only in the cloud, like it sounds like OP is wanting to do, if he's using a Mac or Windows client. The only way to have the docs only in the cloud is to use the web client, upload the files & then delete them from the hard drive. And I would not recommend that for the reasons in my previous post.

I would like to avoid storing all my scanned documents on my computer.  Is there a way to have them go directly to EN cloud?  I can't find anything in settings. 

I believe this could be done using a Doxie scanner (either the Doxie One or the Doxie Go) and using an EyeFi SD Memory card.  You would need to be using the scanner in an environment with wifi access to the internet and set the EyeFi up to send images to your Evernote account.  Pls note that the images sent would be JPG files - i.e. one image file for each page scanned - and not any PDF files.  And I'm sure there will others that will quickly point out the limitations of the Doxie scanners - i.e you can only scan one single-sided page at a time.  Still, I love my little Doxie to quickly scan a page without having to deal with a piece of software on a computer and clicking through numerous options. 

Warning - I have not done this personally, but had an e-mail exchange with the support folks at Doxie.  It is on my "bucket-list" of things to try one of these days. 

Another warning - ditto on what Burgers and Fries points out - having your stuff only in the cloud is a dangerous situation.  While you may want to send stuff directly to your Evernote account in the cloud, you should definitely sync that with a "PC" and maintain at least a second local copy of your data.  And then back that up.  Evernote has plans on being a "100 year company", but ya just never know.  Stuff happens. 

• Level 5*

Technically, jefito, you are correct that the documents temporarily go to a local folder in the method described. The folder is however used only as a transient conduit to the cloud and no documents are stored locally. That is to say that as soon as they are directed to evernote, the local copy in the folder is immediately (and automatically) erased and no hard drive space is used up over time.

I did realize this, hence the "but it might" disclaimer. I also didn't bring up the case where one might have an import folder set up as "keep" rather than "delete".
  • 7 months later...

You can do this a number of ways. First way depends on your scanner, which if it is a Fujitsu scansnap, has the option of putting the scanned document right into evernote (or dropbox as well as any number of other cloud services). Fujitsu is the best option for converting paper into PDFs. I assume you don't use Fujitsu since you are asking this question. A second way for the mac involves an applescript which sets up a folder on the desktop that puts everything that goes into it directly into evernote without saving a copy on the computer. You dump your scanned docs into the folderand they go straight into evernote, and you can choose which folder to put the doc into. I have used this for some time and it is great! The web site is: http://veritrope.com/tech/evernote-desktop-folder/

Sanj, thanks so much for the link. This was just what I was looking for.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow..I just got my ix500 and I think I might return it.   I was under the impression that I could send it directly to wirelessly.... The wireless neat connect has the capability (asks for evernote name and password).  It appears that the only real way to get it into evernote is some email workaround.  That's a bummer.  Does anyone know if Fujitsu/Evernote will allow a direct wireless upload?

Archived