(Archived) V5 beta

dlu

Please, please, please, keep the title visible at all times. There's no logical reason that I can think of to hide it!

.The GUI speak of the day is "flat design" and "minimize distractions and let your content shine through" :).  Translation: "you don't need to see no stinking titles, that's too much distraction for you to handle" :D

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll pile on a bit.

- The note title should be visible. Really.

- Some contrast to the functional areas of the app are really helpful.

- Use some color to help distinguish between notebook types. Icons work too.

- I get the concept of clean, but some color is not illegal. If I wanted a Mac, I'd buy one.

I have used it a lot since it was released. The thing that stands out the most is the blinding whiteness. I may have to go Hollywood, shades in the office.

I'm in this for the long haul, not threatening to bail on the app, just bitching.

Regards,

Gary

Some day, DLU, you will be over 40 and realize just how important high-contrast text, and a reasonable text size, is to readability.  You young kids just don't get it.  :-)

Quick question, which section of text gives you the most trouble? We're mostly using black text on a light gray background, so there's probably an area I'm missing.

I miss the possibility to change the size of cards/thumbnails (I know it is not the same technically but for me from a user point of view it kinda is).

I agree with other about title of the note - would be good to see it all the time without having to scroll. In green, preferably ;)

• Level 5*

Some day, DLU, you will be over 40 and realize just how important high-contrast text, and a reasonable text size, is to readability.  You young kids just don't get it.  :-)

Quick question, which section of text gives you the most trouble? We're mostly using black text on a light gray background, so there's probably an area I'm missing.

DLU, many thanks for asking.  You surprised me!  :-)

(BTW, please pass this along to the Mac team.  EN Mac has the same problem)

Actually it appears to me that MOST text is GRAY on WHITE.

I would suggest BLACK on LIGHT GRAY as your standard default text color scheme.

A pure while background is actually hard on the eyes on a backlight screen.  So using light gray background with black text gives great contrast with less eye strain.

EDIT:  A GREAT example is this forum page.  Notice that the Quote is BLACK text on GRAY background whereas the main body is black on white.  To me, the Quote is easier to read with less eye strain.

When you use smaller text (rarely I hope), then it becomes even more important to have excellent contrast.

For example, the very small text in the Snippet view.

For key fields that are usually important to most users, black, or even better, bold black, text on a small area of white background is great.  The main Note text body is best with normal black on gray.

Here's a screen shot from your demo video that points our the gray text.

EN_Win_5_Beta1.jpg

Thanks again for asking.

A pure while background is actually hard on the eyes on a backlight screen.  So using light gray background with black text gives great contrast with less eye strain.

EDIT:  A GREAT example is this forum page.  Notice that the Quote is BLACK text on GRAY background whereas the main body is black on white.  To me, the Quote is easier to read with less eye strain.

When you use smaller text (rarely I hope), then it becomes even more important to have excellent contrast.

For key fields that are usually important to most users, black, or even better, bold black, text on a small area of white background is great.  The main Note text body is best with normal black on gray.

EN_Win_5_Beta1.jpg

Thanks again for asking.

One small nitpick... have you tried using Skitch??

Where you've pointed out "most text look gray" that is actually black text. Does it appear black on your Windows screen? I'd be curious to your screen resolution & DPI setting.

The small text is a bit of a balancing act. We want to have information density as well. The snippet text actually is the same as it was on V4, the screenshots were made with a high resolution monitor (looks like it is 1920x1080) so everything may seem a bit smaller if you're coming from a lower resolution monitor.

• Level 5*

OK, dlu, a question: how do you restore the Shortcuts entry to the sidebar? You can remove it by right-clicking on it, and selecting "Remove from sidebar". You can right-click on saved searches in the search control and select "Add to shortcuts", but that doesn't make the shortcuts appear. You can edit the "ShowNavPaneShortcuts" registry entry to your heart's content, but that doesn't work either. I feel like I'm playing some kind of point and click adventure game here...

• Level 5*

Where you've pointed out "most text look gray" that is actually black text. Does it appear black on your Windows screen? I'd be curious to your screen resolution & DPI setting.

The small text is a bit of a balancing act. We want to have information density as well. The snippet text actually is the same as it was on V4, the screenshots were made with a high resolution monitor (looks like it is 1920x1080) so everything may seem a bit smaller if you're coming from a lower resolution monitor.

I am using SnagIT, a high-end screen-capture/annotation tool -- much better than Skitch actually.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster P2350 with a dynamic contrast of 50000:1.

Resolution is 1920x1080

Everything else on my screen is very sharp and black.

The problem is probably the screen capture came from your demo video.

Let me get a capture directly from EN Win, and I will report back.

Another "Entry Point Not Found" error. 

Hi Guys, 

I figured I would give the beta a shot. Installation seemed to go ok, but the new version won't run, failing with the error dialog "Evernote.exe - Entry Point Not Found". The specific error message in the dialog is 

"The procedure entry point sqlite3Fts3InitTasTermsModule could not be located in the dynamic link library LibSQLite.dll" 

(not sure how to paste in an image here). I saw a couple of earlier reports of the same error but no resolution. Unlike the earlier folks I am installing on Windows XP, not on Windows 7 64 bit. 

For what it's worth I can confirm that I have one (and only one) version of libsqlite.dll on my machine, located at "c:\program files\evernote\evernote": 

3/16/2012  15:43         630,784  libsqlite.dll

Any suggestions or advice? 

Thanks, 

Wilf.

Could you try an uninstall and a reinstall? If that doesn't work, PM me

Thanks very much! Uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick! Evernote 5 for Windows runs fine for me now. 

• Level 5*

EN_Win_5_Beta1.jpg

Thanks again for asking.

DLU, my apologies.  I stand corrected.

As you stated, most of the text is BLACK on GRAY -- good job!!!  :-)

The problem was that the resolution of the demo video made it appear to me as gray text.

Once I got the Beta installed, I can now see that it is very readable.

May I make one small request:  Could you please make the note counts be in a med-dark BLUE?  The very light gray text of the counts does make them hard to see for us 40+ males.  :-)  I won't say how many +++ it is for me.  LOL

I can live with the Snippet text, but IF I had my wishes I would make the Note title BOLD, and then the Snippet tags a darker blue.  :-)

Thanks again for asking, and sorry for the confusion.

On the readability front, several users have also begged and pleaded for zoom capability, a feature which IMHO should not be missing from a program such as this.

Hi

Like the v5 beta so far in respects of functionality.

Feature request

As you are now in version 5. Could you make the search bar/box "floating".

keep it docked  where it is for the new users by default.

But enable us power users the option to drag and position it where ever we need it.

a simple pin icon on the search box could always allow user to pin it back to the default position.

Search is the core function of evernotes power, restricting the search to the top right corner

is where you expect to find it in a word processor or PDF reader etc.  Where search is just more a 

convenience tool.

regards

Hardcopy

• Level 5*

I believe the "find in Evernote" hotkey in v4 would clear any prior set search settings and give you a search of all your notes.  In this version if you (as an example) first search by tag and then press the find in Evernote hotkey the tag search is still applied.  The only way to remove it is to manually cancel the tag from the search.  The global search hotkey should clear all prior search settings.

• Level 5*

In the left panel notebook list and tag list there is an inconsistency.  Shared tags have the user name shown after in parenthesis.  Shared notebooks have no indication if they are shared or not.  Identifying these as shared is useful, but there should also be an option to allow you to remove shared notebooks and shared tags from the left panel list.  Most times we are working with our own notebooks and tags and showing the shared is not needed or desired.

I've seen the other comments about the menu options in all caps.  I'm guessing that was done to make them stand out from the toolbar.  How about making the menu bar background green (you have to put green in there ... somewhere) and then the menu items can be mixed case but will stand out from the toolbar since the background will be green?

Now I'll echo a few other comments mentioned.  The note edit scrollbar is impossible to see and the note title should stay fixed while you are scrolling the text.  Having to click on the info box just to see or edit the title is inconvenient.

Overall, visually, the changes in v5 are pleasant, but I will admit that I thought v4 was fine as well

Not sure if this is posted already, but here are some bugs I found: 

1. When in fullscreen mode, with the Windows taskbar on autohide, and with Evernote window in focus, moving the mouse to the bottom of the page does not bring the taskbar back up. I have to either manually tap the Windows key or minimize/close the window via upper left buttons. 

2. When entering tags, they are not autocompleted. When there is a suggestion, I have to select with the arrow keys first. If I hit "tab" or "enter" before finishing typing, the unfinished letters become the tag. In the older version, if I were to do that, the first suggestion becomes the tag instead. 

Another suggestion. 

On the What's New page for this Beta it says this: 

Note Information

We've made it easy to add or change the metadata associated with your note. Just click on the "i" in the Note Editor and a flyout will appear to let you edit your note’s information.

This same i should be available in the single note view as well. That way, we can access the metadata on an individual note we are looking at without having to enable a separate toolbar for all notes. 

Thanks. 

Yes I understand the intent to minimize the UI so that our notes take visual prominence, but how about a little ios blue highlight like what you see when the ios Alarm clock is selected on the iphone clock app? See attached Screenshot. Evernote 5.0 is sooooo gray its depressing :(

post-50413-0-34752300-1374441130_thumb.j

• Level 5*

BUG: search engine has a problem with international letters. Tags etc. with å ä æ ö ø doesn't show up except in word suggestions and still not displaying the letter.

BUG: search engine has a problem with international letters. Tags etc. with å ä æ ö ø doesn't show up except in word suggestions and still not displaying the letter.

Confirmed in part: "öffentlich" in search - "offentlich" in search proposals - "öffentlich" found in notes ...

Hi Evernote Team!,

I have a remark about the tagging in this Beta: It used to be that when you start typing in the name of the desired tag, a drop down list would show and be refined the more you type the tag-name. This is still the same now, except that the top choice is no longer highlighted. which means I now have to press the "down arrow" key and then the "Enter key". Instead of just the "Enter key" and continue to the next tag.

As said: just a request/remark

Thanks!

Mark

• Level 5*

BUG: When I try to filter by tag, by pressing the tag at the top right and clicking the empty tag, it only displays the relevant tags which has an exclamation mark as the first letter. Somehow these tags seem to filter out the rest.

Is it just me or you cannot currently customize the left panel except removing smth?

I was experimenting and removed everything from there (atlas, tags, notebooks - everything.) Now I've got an empty left panel with no ability to add anything back to it.

• Level 5*

Is it just me or you cannot currently customize the left panel except removing smth?

I was experimenting and removed everything from there (atlas, tags, notebooks - everything.) Now I've got an empty left panel with no ability to add anything back to it.

I believe that that's the case -- I reported it already and dlu confirmed it.

Registry keys are HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ShowNavPaneNotebooks, ShowNavPaneShortcuts, etc We'll get this into the UI soon

• Level 5*

Registry keys are HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ShowNavPaneNotebooks, ShowNavPaneShortcuts, etc We'll get this into the UI soon

I did try monkeying with the shortcut entry, to no effect. Even so, I'm no stranger to the registry, but that doesn't mean that didn't get the sequence wrong, but I'm pretty sure I exited completely out of Evernote, refreshed the registry view, changed the value in question, and then restarted Evernote. Maybe they're not just 1's and 0's, though. I also didn't see any correlation between what I turned off and the corresponding (guessing at the name, of course) registry value, so I'm a little puzzled. Will try again, though, just to satisfy my own mind; no need to worry about my experiments -- I'll look forward to the UI implementation. :)
  • Level 5*

Just to follow-up on the registry thing: I was able to restore my shortcuts entry in the left panel by putting a 1 in the registry value for "HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ShowNavPaneShortcuts" on my work machine, which was an upgrade from the version 4 line. This didn't seem to work for me on my home machine, which has been running pre-beta versions. I don't know why that would make a difference, if indeed that is the difference. Anyways, anyone (temporarily) have the problem of needing to restore a left-panel item should try using the indicated registry entries, if you feel comfortable spelunking the registry. If not, you should wait for a newer version of Evernote 5.

Just to follow-up on the registry thing: I was able to restore my shortcuts entry in the left panel by putting a 1 in the registry value for "HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/ShowNavPaneShortcuts" on my work machine, which was an upgrade from the version 4 line. This didn't seem to work for me on my home machine, which has been running pre-beta versions. I don't know why that would make a difference, if indeed that is the difference. Anyways, anyone (temporarily) have the problem of needing to restore a left-panel item should try using the indicated registry entries, if you feel comfortable spelunking the registry. If not, you should wait for a newer version of Evernote 5.

Worked for me. Thank you, jefito!

I installed EN5b for Windows. I noticed that the Tag field no longer auto-predicts as I am typing Tag names. Because I like to keep my Tags tidy, I had to uninstall the beta and revert back to the previous 4.x release. I spoke with Customer Service who told me that is a known issue and is being worked on. Once I hear it's fixed, I'll continue testing the betas.

• Level 5*

I installed EN5b for Windows. I noticed that the Tag field no longer auto-predicts as I am typing Tag names. Because I like to keep my Tags tidy, I had to uninstall the beta and revert back to the previous 4.x release. I spoke with Customer Service who told me that is a known issue and is being worked on. Once I hear it's fixed, I'll continue testing the betas.

Which Tag field?I see auto-predicting in the note info tag entry field, and also the search control (suggests tags, among other things).

I seem to have found a bug..........v5.0.0.782

A previous note has files attached (zip files). When I go to add another zip file, it appears to attach normally, but never appears. For example, when attempting to attach it to the end of a note, it never appears anywhere within the note. Tried synching & re-opening without luck. Finally had to create a new note, attach the file there & then merge the 2 to get my new attachment at the end of the original note.

I think I found a new bug that I have not seen reported here. 

When I click the New Note button in the banner, the new note appears in my All Notes list. I then double-click the new note to open it in a new window. The new note has the tags, info, and notes from the note that I had most recently updated. 

Is anyone else seeing this? 

I seem to have found a bug..........v5.0.0.782

A previous note has files attached (zip files). When I go to add another zip file, it appears to attach normally, but never appears. For example, when attempting to attach it to the end of a note, it never appears anywhere within the note. Tried synching & re-opening without luck. Finally had to create a new note, attach the file there & then merge the 2 to get my new attachment at the end of the original note.

Thanks! Will test this out

When I click the New Note button in the banner, the new note appears in my All Notes list. I then double-click the new note to open it in a new window. The new note has the tags, info, and notes from the note that I had most recently updated. 

I couldn't get the same thing to happen. Does the newest note need to have a tag or something in it?

Not sure if some of those are not posted already, but bugs I found are: 

1) 'Simplify Formatting' function does not work properly. It does not anymore format text to the font and size defined in my settings, and what's worse, it adds spacing (as if "Enter" key had been pressed twice) after each paragraph.

2) The program keeps closing all of a sudden unexpectedly. For instance, sometimes, when I press the "New Note" button at the top of the window, the whole program just closes and I need to re-open it. Also, I have noticed several times that it has been closed by itself for mysterious reason - e.g. it just disappears from the taskbar even if I did not do anything with Evernote and the program window was just "sitting" there, minimized. This problem comes and goes and can't catch the trigger.

3) I work with two monitors, and if I press maximize button at the Evernote window, the edge of that window hangs over to other display a little bit. The same effect happens at both displays - no matter at which display the window with Evernote is being opened at max, a thin overlay of it then hangs at other display. The surplus edge is not too wide, but, still. Strangely, it is shorter than actual Evernote window opened at the other display, and it ends in the middle of the screen.

To help to understand this bug, I made a picture of the overlaid edge, please see it here: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s115/sh/6fbec548-2585-4a16-b23b-e8b7c70b11fe/d393b0d132c3a02c8f9411c44c74c892

I've only just got round to trying out EN5, had to sort out a new VM, new account etc to avoid the risk of trashing my existing notebooks.

The new look is ok-ish, but I do wish you'd just stick to a native style. I'm using Windows 7, but you've forced a Windows 8 style on me. Even then it's inconsistent; a strange mix of styles, horrible thin vertical scroll bars which are barely visible and far too easy to miss, normal horizontal scroll bars (in list view). The less said about the menu titles in SCREAMING CAPITALS the better :( Dialogue boxes haven't changed one iota and remain resolutely native, clashing with the main window style: the new look is all purely on the surface. I agree with other comments here about the blandness and flatness of it all, it's very difficult to work out which parts of the interface are active. Some colour in the icons is all it would take to brighten it up a bit.

Having the note title scroll away out of view is absolutely infuriating. It's right back to the way EN2 behaved!

What's happened to the note author field? It's gone completely. Maybe the author name is added automatically (hooray if it is, this is one of my irritations with EN4), but if it is, it's not displayed anywhere, not even in the note's Info pop-up.

I've found a bug in the pop-up window for changing a note's Created or Updated Date field. It doesn't close once opened and it's necessary to kill EN5 and restart it to get control back.

My main massive disappointment with this supposedly major new version though is that after all the requests on these forums over several years, there is no change whatsoever to the note editor. I'm almost dumbstruck that you've apparently put so much effort into a UI redesign but have done nothing at all about the many shortcomings of EN's basic functionality. I'd really hoped that this version was going to offer image resizing, better table editing, better tab handling for example.

On a positive note, the Shortcuts area on the left side seems much better than the favourites bar in EN4.

Really sorry to be so negative about this, I appreciate that somewhere a lot of work has gone into this. I'm a big EN fan, it's been my most used application for six or seven years now, but this is really disappointing.

• Level 5*

The new look is ok-ish, but I do wish you'd just stick to a native style. I'm using Windows 7, but you've forced a Windows 8 style on me.

You should note that Microsoft forces a Windows 8 look on Windows 7 users with its apps, for example the Office suite and Visual Studio.

On a positive note, the Shortcuts area on the left side seems much better than the favourites bar in EN4.

Not sure I quite agree -- folks who like to operate without a left panel (due to preference, or lack of horizontal screen space, for example) are now out of luck. I was fine with the favorites bar, myself.

Horses for courses, per usual... :)

• Level 5*

My main massive disappointment with this supposedly major new version though is that after all the requests on these forums over several years, there is no change whatsoever to the note editor. I'm almost dumbstruck that you've apparently put so much effort into a UI redesign but have done nothing at all about the many shortcomings of EN's basic functionality. I'd really hoped that this version was going to offer image resizing, better table editing, better tab handling for example.

Really sorry to be so negative about this, I appreciate that somewhere a lot of work has gone into this. I'm a big EN fan, it's been my most used application for six or seven years now, but this is really disappointing.

I agree completely.  The same is true about the new EN Mac Ver 5.  A new coat of different colored paint, moved some of the furniture around, but the main function remains the same.  Two notable exceptions with EN Mac V5:  Added Highlighter and Reminders.  I would expect both of these to come to EN Win V5 before too long.

The other major disappointment is that, AFAIK, none of the Search bugs have been fixed, and maybe some new one's added.

Evernote, IF you have fixed some of these bugs, please list them so we can test/confirm.

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere, my eyes were starting to bleed from reading through the posts.  

I do like the concept of co-mingling the business with the personal as it makes scrolling through lists of notebooks easier since they are sorted but there needs to be a visual cue of some sort differentiating the types.

AND- Why when I'm adding a notebook to a business stack is it created as a personal notebook?  That's just plain not smart.  

Flat is fine, but how about we offer a darker theme and please do something so we can tell types of notebooks apart.

Oh, and bring back the ability to put shortcuts on the toolbar.  I have hundreds of notebooks; having to scroll to the top to get to Shortcuts is not smart design.  

The beta is cutting off the bottom of notes, particularly if there is a PDF attached.  

I'm losing all text below the PDF

Could you post a screenshot? I pulled up a few PDFs with text below and they weren't cut off

The new look is ok-ish, but I do wish you'd just stick to a native style. I'm using Windows 7, but you've forced a Windows 8 style on me.

You should note that Microsoft forces a Windows 8 look on Windows 7 users with its apps, for example the Office suite and Visual Studio.

Of course they do, they have an unpopular new OS to promote. Doesn't make it the correct thing to do from a design perspective though.

Not sure I quite agree -- folks who like to operate without a left panel (due to preference, or lack of horizontal screen space, for example) are now out of luck. I was fine with the favorites bar, myself.

[sorry, broke the quoting here]

I only have room for four or five shortcuts in my EN4 favourites bar, with no way to edit the names of them. In the new arrangement there's more room and the shortcut names can be edited by hitting F2. I conceded that they're going to compete with all the notebooks and tags too, and in my minimal EN5 environment I have very little else there. I'd be happier with the existing favourites bar if the names could be edited.

I only have room for four or five shortcuts in my EN4 favourites bar, with no way to edit the names of them. In the new arrangement there's more room and the shortcut names can be edited by hitting F2.

My mistake... F2 makes the shortcut name editable, but the edit is discarded on hitting enter! Another bug I guess.

• Level 5*

That doesn't make it right or desirable. In fact, Microsoft is foisting the whole metro thing everywhere with the flatness, and quite frankly, it sucks.

The Shortcut bar is, IMHO, a major step backwards from the Favorites bar in EN4 if that is what you call that toolbar that you could customize and it was visible 100% of the time in the main window's UI.

• Level 5*

I do like the concept of co-mingling the business with the personal as it makes scrolling through lists of notebooks easier since they are sorted but there needs to be a visual cue of some sort differentiating the types.

As a heavy business user, I am not sure it is possible for me to more strongly disagree with this statement. See discussion and reasons here.

• Level 5*

@lgretton : The "horses for courses" was code for "I understand that the shortcuts is better for some people, but for some it's not and I'd prefer the Favorites bar myself". Re: broken quoting, you get much more control if you go into BBCode mode (the little button at the top left of the editing controls). One more thing: the OS underlying the UI is fine, and probably better than Win 7; the UI is a bit of a mixup (uncool, where "mashup" is hip these days?); I'd use the touch interface if I had a touch screen, but the desktop seems to work better without a touch screen in my limited usage.

@EdH : it just means that there's a precedent. I don't mind most of the new look, though the all-caps thingie does grate. On the other hand, the flat thing is probably just this year's model, and next year we'll all be wearing chrome again...

^^^ THIS ^^^  In fact, other than search ahead, which is nice, I couldn't identify a single meaningful new feature that will enhance my workflow in any way.  Frankly the discovery of the hidden Shift/Ctrl/F5 in the current version, has proven about 100x as useful as anything I am seeing in this beta.  That's a real change that affects my workflow.  Enhanced tables, highlighting, note zooming, better bulleting, et al, nowhere to be found.

@lgretton : Re: broken quoting, you get much more control if you go into BBCode mode.

Excellent, thanks for that. As you can see, I've got the hang of it now :-)

One more thing: the OS underlying the UI is fine, and probably better than Win 7; the UI is a bit of a mixup (uncool, where "mashup" is hip these days?)

I don't have a problem with Win 8, I'd just prefer that applications stick to the native style for the OS I'm using, and I happen to be using Win 7. The look of EN5 isn't consistent anyway, just a skinning of the main window as far as I can see.

I couldn't get the same thing to happen. Does the newest note need to have a tag or something in it?

No, it does not. To test, I created a new note with a title and one line of text in the body. I then created another new note and immediately double-clicked it. The new note opened in a new window and has the same title and body as the note I previously updated. 

I did a screencap of this in action. Here is a link to it (I could not figure out how to share media directly in this forum with limited time.)

http://www.screencast.com/t/oyh2o5uWpxo

• Level 5*

Oh, and bring back the ability to put shortcuts on the toolbar.  I have hundreds of notebooks; having to scroll to the top to get to Shortcuts is not smart design.

Agreed. Shortcuts should be available 100% of the time in the main UI. having them scroll with the data doesn't make them much of a shortcut anymore.

I've just downloaded the beta and it looks good.  However, unless there is some option I'm missing, the search no longer allows words to be grouped.  In the V4 I used to be able to put two or more words in quotes to form a search term and only those notes matching the full term would be shown.  In V5 each word is treated as a separate term even if they are included withing quotes.  For example, in V4, "user manual" would show only those notes with the phrase "user manual" in them but in V5 it shows notes that have both user and manual in them but those words could be separated by pages of text.  I know there is a "matching any" and "matching all" option but that would only make things worse, the latter showing notes with either of the terms.

I used this phrase search feature regularly in V4.

I really like this new version. However the only thing I can find that is really annoying is performance. I am using a 2.5Gig Core 2 Duo with 4G of ram, and EN is sluggish. It's not as snappy or as quick as V4.xx.x

My home computer is even worse, it's almost not usable. That system is just an old Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz with 2Gig of ram. I know it's an older system, but I had no trouble with V4. V5 is way cool you guys did a great job, but the performance on somewhat older system has suffered. It's not going to make me leave EN, I am loyal fan/user. Jus thought you should know that on older systems this new version has performance issues.

Thanks

I really like this new version. However the only thing I can find that is really annoying is performance. I am using a 2.5Gig Core 2 Duo with 4G of ram, and EN is sluggish. It's not as snappy or as quick as V4.xx.x

My home computer is even worse, it's almost not usable. That system is just an old Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz with 2Gig of ram. I know it's an older system, but I had no trouble with V4. V5 is way cool you guys did a great job, but the performance on somewhat older system has suffered. It's not going to make me leave EN, I am loyal fan/user. Jus thought you should know that on older systems this new version has performance issues.

Thanks

Depending on the size of your database, you might notice a behaviour during the initial conversion of the database. Once that was done in the background, I noticed a considerably faster performance compared to V4. Conversion takes some time ...

• Level 5*

Thanks

Depending on the size of your database, you might notice a behaviour during the initial conversion of the database. Once that was done in the background, I noticed a considerably faster performance compared to V4. Conversion takes some time ...

Agreed. When I initially converted a 11GB database with 12,500 personal notes and 2,500 business notes, EN5 was unusable for an hour or so. Then it became acceptable again. Haven't noticed it is better or worse in terms of performance than EN4.

• Evernote Expert

How to check the upload usage meter in V5? Cant seem to find it anyway.. :wacko:

And i am not able to push the notes down by rolling the mouse ball. I am forced to use the Evernote small slide bar on the right and drag it down. Kindly fix this problem. :(

Just started using V5 beta.. Normally, i wouldnt use beta software, but i love EN so much that i want to play a small role in it becoming more and more awesomer. The search function is definitely an awesome improvement. :wub:

Syncing seems to be working just a touch better. The interface looks more appealing, although the colour contrast between the notes and side bar would be more appreciated as told by other users.  My IOS shortcuts are not syncing in V5 beta. Escape key to close a note is not working.

• Level 5*

How to check the upload usage meter in V5? Cant seem to find it anyway.. wacko:

TOOLS / Account Info?

And i am not able to push the notes down by rolling the mouse ball. I am forced to use the Evernote small slide bar on the right and drag it down. Kindly fix this problem. :(

Push them down where? I see this working in the note view of the current beta. At least with my mouse wheel...

Escape key to close a note is not working.

What context? In normal operation, to close a note, I just select another note; Escape never did anything in that context. Or are you talking about when you open a note in a separate window?

I really like the new evernote. I don't mind the lower contrast within the evernote window, but I find evernote gets lost when it floats over other applications like word. I'd appreciate a clearer boarder around the window. 
I found the two arrows (back-forward) completely unintuitive. Since they were next to my name, I thought they would let me toggle users. Then I thought they might correspond to previous/next note. 

While I love the flat design, I'd like to lobby for having the note titles in the toolbar for opened notes.  (Apologies if this is a frequent request.)

Here's an illustration of the problem.  Today I've been working on a lot of notes, but it's tough to know which is which without using a workaround:

post-79415-0-74317700-1374780858_thumb.p

What context? In normal operation, to close a note, I just select another note; Escape never did anything in that context. Or are you talking about when you open a note in a separate window?

Jeff,

I can't be sure this is the posters point, but in past versions a note opened in a separate window and with focus closed with "esc". You didn't need to take your hands off the keyboard. It no longer functions.

It was useful if you used ctrl-alt-N to pop up a quick note, then simply "esc" and your are done.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5*
I can't be sure this is the posters point, but in past versions a note opened in a separate window and with focus closed with "esc". You didn't need to take your hands off the keyboard. It no longer functions.

It was useful if you used ctrl-alt-N to pop up a quick note, then simply "esc" and your are done.

Regards,

Gary

Have you tried CTRL+W ?

This is the Windows standard shortcut to close a window.

• Level 5*

While I love the flat design, I'd like to lobby for having the note titles in the toolbar for opened notes.  (Apologies if this is a frequent request.)

Here's an illustration of the problem.  Today I've been working on a lot of notes, but it's tough to know which is which without using a workaround:

attachicon.gifNoteStack.png

Agreed. Here is how that would look in EN4.

I cannot help but notice too how EN4 makes it crystal clear where the note's borders are and you can easily distinguish between notes. EN5 blurs that considerably IMHO.

I installed v5 on win 7 64bit with no issues.  On a multi-monitor configuration, hen Evernote is in full screen the window "bleeds" onto the other screen by about 1/4 inch.  See screen shot attached.  Does not effect the functionality.

• Level 5*

I cannot help but notice too how EN4 makes it crystal clear where the note's borders are and you can easily distinguish between notes. EN5 blurs that considerably IMHO.

Great example mcluff and EdH!   That makes it crystal clear how bad the EN5 design is.

You know, strange as it seems, I really get the feeling that most Evernote employees are NOT EN Power Users.  I could be wrong -- I have no facts.  That's just how it seems to me based on their designs and questions on obvious Use Cases.

Great example mcluff and EdH!   That makes it crystal clear how bad the EN5 design is.

You know, strange as it seems, I really get the feeling that most Evernote employees are NOT EN Power Users.  I could be wrong -- I have no facts.  That's just how it seems to me based on their designs and questions on obvious Use Cases.

I've wondered about that many times :).  I also want to know why every single time I see an EN demo video, it looks like the person giving the video has only has about 80 notes total ;)

This is an awesome visual example of how a user actually uses the program, that I have to guess the developers might not even be aware of.  Hopefully that type of feedback will really help.

I can't imagine any reason they wouldn't want a note title on the header bar, so you have to wonder if it's not one of those things that just got dropped because it was a major rewrite and can easily be put back in.

• Level 5*

This is an awesome visual example of how a user actually uses the program, that I have to guess the developers might not even be aware of.  Hopefully that type of feedback will really help.

I can't imagine any reason they wouldn't want a note title on the header bar, so you have to wonder if it's not one of those things that just got dropped because it was a major rewrite and can easily be put back in.

Personally, I don't think I'd be opening all of those windows at once like that, but it's not my place to weigh in on everyone's workflow. On the Mac we have the titles at the top. I think in terms of consistency among the clients, it would also be a good idea to put it into Windows.

• Level 5*

This is yet another example of where Evernote designers have dropped or not followed a well-established UI standard, for no apparent reason.

It makes me wonder about the experience of the designers, and the EN internal QC process.  Does EN have anyone knowledgeable about UI standards who reviews every version before it is released?

Personally, I don't think I'd be opening all of those windows at once like that, but it's not my place to weigh in on everyone's workflow. On the Mac we have the titles at the top. I think in terms of consistency among the clients, it would also be a good idea to put it into Windows.

It isn't a typical part of my workflow either, I confess.  Was consolidating a bunch of notes on a topic and found myself in over my head!  

As someone involved in UI design, I've seen many cases in which a sort of tunnel vision sets in, and even the worst designs start to look 'normal.' On balance I like the beta.  But note titles are more important than the design accommodates.  

• Level 5*

Unfortunately, this whole EN5 process reminds me too much of the "Hey, let's put all notes into tiles on the iPad and get rid of listview" fiasco. Despite the complaints from beta users, they pushed it out, then dealt with enough complaints they finally gave us listview. 

If EN is listening and taking the huge problems of EN5 into consideration (business/personal note blending, UI issues like the note title that is now part of the body of the note, sort of, Shortcuts that are anything but if you have more than 5 notebooks as they scroll out of view, this example of not being able to distinguish notes, etc), they aren't saying anything. I fear 5.0 will launch with most or all of these issues and then wait and see what the public backlash is.

I hope I am wrong, but honestly, I don't think power users are the target, or count for much.

I don't think EN recognizes how engrained its product is into people's work flows, especially those using it for GTD and other productivity methods. It is like Excel is for Accountants. You just don't frivolously mess with it to bey stylistic. 

But man, I really really hope I am wrong.

@JMicheal

"Have you tried CTRL+W ?

This is the Windows standard shortcut to close a window."

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately this does not function either. It does in the rest of Windows, but not in EN.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5*

@JMicheal

"Have you tried CTRL+W ?

This is the Windows standard shortcut to close a window."

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately this does not function either. It does in the rest of Windows, but not in EN.

Regards,

Gary

Why am I not surprised.  One more UI standard thrown overboard.  Why??????

I was not able to find this as an option in the Windows 5 beta but I would appreciate it being added.   Is there a way to simply turn off the "type ahead" searching in the search bar?  It seriously impedes my use of Evernote on Windows and I have no use for it.  I have a slower old desktop computer at work and Evernote basically freezes after I type two characters in to the search bar while it works on creating the "type ahead" search results.

• Level 5*

Was thinking that that might be the case; I don't have a version 4.x around any more to try it out. Thanks.
  • Level 5*

I was not able to find this as an option in the Windows 5 beta but I would appreciate it being added.   Is there a way to simply turn off the "type ahead" searching in the search bar?  It seriously impedes my use of Evernote on Windows and I have no use for it.  I have a slower old desktop computer at work and Evernote basically freezes after I type two characters in to the search bar while it works on creating the "type ahead" search results.

You may be able to do this with a registry setting; see this post from Peter, Evernote employee: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26477-request-2-simple-search-options/?p=141919. Relevant quote:

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

Please make sure you shut down Evernote with File/Exit before changing the application registry.

I know that the key still exists in the registry, so it's worth a shot.

The new position of the search bar is absolutely horrible.

In v4 the distances you had to travel with you mouse cursor between the search bar and the notes was very short and optimized.

Now in v5 you have to move the cursor from the note section on the left all over to the top right search bar to clear the search term, just to move the cursor right back to the left again to select a note.

Why do i have to travel in v5 ten times the distance than in v4, to do the same job? It's not like we need such an increddible long search bar anyway or do we? What's the reasoning behind moving the search bar?

• Evernote Expert

Unsatisfied with Syncing Functionality in Windows client  :

Although I am an Evernote premium user, i still have a slow broadband connection of 256kbps ( which is what more than half of India has yet (90% Rural india) , and which is still defined as the minimum broadband speed for India.). I have never been happy with the Windows client sync process , unlike the mobile clients which just need to create templates.

In such a scenario the Windows client syncing for Evernote unlike programs like Dropbox is far from perfect. What dropbox does is that it creates images for each file immediately and shows a download bar for each file. Evernote can do the same for each note, giving the download status for each note, but what i think EN does is that it tries to download all these notes in parallel , which after a period of time, fails with the sync failure icon.

There is no problem with the internet connection, although slow,  because i created a few pdf files from a third party scanning app in total about 15-20 MB and it didnt take me more than ten minutes to sync with the EN server, which i verified when it downloaded to the IOS client. The Problem of sync as always has been the slow Windows client.

As far as i see, there is no great improvement in sync functionality for V5. May be, testers at EN, have broadband speeds of 10Mbps+, sadly, millions of people can only dream of such speeds..

• Evernote Expert

Conflicting Changes Bug in Version 5 Beta :

1. In Windows V4 client, if there is a conflict, the update is mentioned in the Activity icon and the note appers in the "Conflicting Changes" notebook. Now, this is a note that i constantly come back too. Most of the editing for this note, i do in the IOS client. After installing Windows V5 Beta, and syncing, first, i found that the shortcuts which i made with IOS are missing. Now, i find that on 23 July, there has been a conflict for the note. Instead of notifying me, The Beta version has merged both the notes and between the notes, i can see this : "

Conflicting modification on 23 July 2013 17:21:27:" There was no note found in the "Conflicting changes" notebook.

2. This conflicting notes is becoming a major issue in Evernote. For a program that supports multiple clients, conflict is bound to happen. If Evernote does not have a native way of conflict resolution, it should atleast allow the export of each individual note as a standard file format like .pdf or .doc, so that conflicting notes can be compared using other 3rd party tools.
  • Level 5*

Was thinking that that might be the case; I don't have a version 4.x around any more to try it out. Thanks.

Yes, with 4.x, the ESC key closes the currently open not window.

You may be able to do this with a registry setting; see this post from Peter, Evernote employee: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26477-request-2-simple-search-options/?p=141919. Relevant quote:

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

Please make sure you shut down Evernote with File/Exit before changing the application registry.

I know that the key still exists in the registry, so it's worth a shot.

Unfortunately, I tried it out and the problem still persists.  Hopefully, a checkbox can be provided in the preferences for this to be changed within the client.

• Level 5*

Conflicting Changes Bug in Version 5 Beta :

1. In Windows V4 client, if there is a conflict, the update is mentioned in the Activity icon and the note appers in the "Conflicting Changes" notebook. Now, this is a note that i constantly come back too. Most of the editing for this note, i do in the IOS client. After installing Windows V5 Beta, and syncing, first, i found that the shortcuts which i made with IOS are missing. Now, i find that on 23 July, there has been a conflict for the note. Instead of notifying me, The Beta version has merged both the notes and between the notes, i can see this : "

Conflicting modification on 23 July 2013 17:21:27:" There was no note found in the "Conflicting changes" notebook.

2. This conflicting notes is becoming a major issue in Evernote. For a program that supports multiple clients, conflict is bound to happen. If Evernote does not have a native way of conflict resolution, it should atleast allow the export of each individual note as a standard file format like .pdf or .doc, so that conflicting notes can be compared using other 3rd party tools.

I do not think this is a problem with Windows. My understanding is that only the iOS client merges your conflicting modifications into the note without notifying you. This causes horrendous problems (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25197-howto-diff-a-conflict-with-the-original/?p=173274), and I have requested that the behavior of the iOS client be brought into line with that of all the other ones (a separate conflicting modifications note, in a separate notebook, with a notification). Ideally, some kind of diagnostic tools (comparison of notes to identify the conflicts and explanations of why each conflict occurred) could be built into the apps.

Archived