(Archived) V5 beta

dlu

Hello folks! We're excited to announce the beta, there is plenty of new and exciting updates. We're looking forward to everyone's feedback. I may not respond to ever single post, but rest assured that we'll be reading all of them.

And of course, we're not done yet. We're working on addressing early feedback, even more new features and tidying up. Thanks for trying it out!

cheers!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

Everntoe is worth what it's always been worth (a lot, and worth paying for, in my case). Reminders, when they come to the Windows client, will only make it that much more of a great deal.

• Level 5*

Hello folks! We're excited to announce the beta, there is plenty of new and exciting updates. We're looking forward to everyone's feedback. I may not respond to ever single post, but rest assured that we'll be reading all of them.

And of course, we're not done yet. We're working on addressing early feedback, even more new features and tidying up. Thanks for trying it out!

cheers!

dlu -- now we know who you are:  Daniel Lu!  :-)

Great video.  Congratulations on EN Win V5.  Looks like it is a huge change of UI as well as adding new features.

Did you remove any features?  Still have the Vertical Note List?  Still have the Horizontal Note List?

Can you tell us what is different from the current EN Mac ver (5.2.0)?

I think that, in addition to the video, it would be a huge help to us all if you would list ALL of the new features, and give a brief description/how to use/shortcut keys (if any).  This would be a great draft that could go into the KB and User Guide.

What is the inslallation process for Windows V5 Beta. I have curentely installed the latest Evernote 4 stable version and I'm eager to try out the new beta. Do I simply install one along side the other or do I have to deinstall the old one. What is the process? I would appricuce some instructions. Thanks.

In looking at the new features, and goofing around with the beta, which rocks so far by the way, I was playing with the left sidebar, and I found how to remove items, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to add them back. I'm sure it's obvious. Any help is appreciated.

And, if this isn't the best thread to post questions about the beta, my apologies, please direct me where to post them.

Thanks! :)

Thanks for the new Beta, but unfortunately after installing on Windows 7 64 Bit (upgrading from latest stable), I receive the error that Sqlite3Fts3InitTasTermsModule was not found in LibSQLite.dll. Manually removing and reinstalling the Beta 5 doesn't help either.

Update: Also cannot cannot get Evernote 4 to run again after reinstall. Same error (as amirmasoudabdol below).

Update 2: You can get Evernote 4 to run again by (i) deinstalling Evernote 4, (ii) manually removing the directory Evernote from Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote and then (iii) reinstalling Evernote 4 - installs then into AppData

Thanks for the new Beta, but unfortunately after installing on Windows 7 64 Bit (upgrading from latest stable), I receive the error that Sqlite3Fts3InitTasTermsModule was not found in LibSQLite.dll. Manually removing and reinstalling the Beta 5 doesn't help either.

Same thing here  :-(

Win 7 64bit

Screenshot_071813_031814_PM.jpg

Getting the same error. Plus I couldn't install the Evernote 4.6 anymore, getting the same error for that too.

Is the the appropriate place to provide feedback on the beta?

I'll just go for it....I like the interface look, it seems to resemble the Mac Evernote layout...however I think it is a little too flat in design. I think it could use a little color to break up the sections. It is a lot of grey. Personally, I like the green and earthy tones that Evernote uses. I would like to see that sprinkled around the app.

Just installed the Windows V5 Beta.  Installed just fine on Win 7 64bit.  I had moved my databases in the past version and it didn't give me the option to point to where my databases were.  It just installed them in the default C drive.  I was able to change that after.

One thing that is missing is the icons that show which notebooks are shared.  There are no icons at all showing next to the notebooks.  Is this done by design?  I liked the blue icon showing which notebooks were shared.

Update: Also cannot cannot get Evernote 4 to run again after reinstall. Same error (as amirmasoudabdol below).

Same thing here  :-(

Win 7 64bit

Screenshot_071813_031814_PM.jpg

Getting the same error. Plus I couldn't install the Evernote 4.6 anymore, getting the same error for that too.

Folks with installer issues, would you  mind PMing me? We'd like to take a look at your logs at %TEMP%\EvernoteSetupMSI.log and %TEMP%\EvernoteSetup.log files. It looks like something isn't getting upgraded properly.

thanks much!

Great thing - great work! Thank you!

Okay, seems to have some bugs - but it is beta - that is okay.

One example: embedded image vanished in the note - thumb is still here: http://is.gd/PHFgdY

Verticale and horizontale list is there! Very fine!

Differences to Mac5 in the moment: no Reminder, no textmarker, no "Clearly-View"

Clearly formatting should be in this version. Highlighter and reminders are definitely on the way!

Is there a way to add notes and notebooks back to the sidebar if you remove them?

I managed to install new evernote 5 beta on Win 8 64 bit but there are is problem with the interface. I'm attaching screenshot where I marked the problem.

Problem with evernote window not aligning with the windows 8 taskbar. There is a visible whiteline seen trough the semi transparent taskbar. No other windows application that I know of has this issue. Please resolve it.

Also where can I find reminders in evernote 5 beta?

post-142307-0-08394500-1374178356_thumb.

I managed to install new evernote 5 beta on Win 8 64 bit but there are is problem with the interface. I'm attaching screenshot where I marked the problem.

Problem with evernote window not aligning with the windows 8 taskbar. There is a visible whiteline seen trough the semi transparent taskbar. No other windows application that I know of has this issue. Please resolve it.

Thanks for reporting!

The empty trash function (right click on the trash notebook) does not seem to work. I get a pop up dialog, click ok, but the notebook is not emptied.

Thx! Will check it out

I installed v5 beta a few hours ago and while I like the changes, it's very - very slow. 

My laptop is no slouch:

Dell Inspiron 17R SE (intel core i7-3630m 2.4ghz w/3.4ghz turbo) w/8gb ram. 

I have just over 9800 notes.

Scrolling through my list of notes is insanely slow in snippet view - card view is slightly better, list view is perfect.  

Having said that... the same database is very smooth to scroll on my android/ios device using snippet view.  

I installed v5 beta a few hours ago and while I like the changes, it's very - very slow. 

My laptop is no slouch:

Scrolling through my list of notes is insanely slow in snippet view - card view is slightly better, list view is perfect.  

Having said that... the same database is very smooth to scroll on my android/ios device using snippet view.  

Is it the scrolling speed, or is the rendering not catching up to the scrolling? (Just wanted to double check).

Is this hugely different between V4 snippet view?

I reverted back to Evernote 4, to be honest I think the beta is actually alpha. The interface bug plus all the other bugs and lack of reminders is not really worth the upgrade for me. I was curious about it and really excited but I'm a bit disappointed after trying. Hope you guys will actually work out the main issues and make it worth the upgrade. Since you have been ignoring windows users for so long I was hoping for more. No upgrade for me yet.

I reverted back to Evernote 4, to be honest I think the beta is actually alpha. The interface bug plus all the other bugs and lack of reminders is not really worth the upgrade for me. I was curious about it and really excited but I'm a bit disappointed after trying. Hope you guys will actually work out the main issues and make it worth the upgrade. Since you have been ignoring windows users for so long I was hoping for more. No upgrade for me yet.

Could you elaborate on what you'd like to see?

My laptop is no slouch:

Is it the scrolling speed, or is the rendering not catching up to the scrolling? (Just wanted to double check).

Well it's so jerky that by the time it scrolls a few lines, the thumbnail pops up for that note.  I don't remember this frustration with v4 and I'm a very heavy Evernote user. 

It's like the computer is running at 100% cpu with low memory... except that it isn't... it just feels that way. 

Is it possible that it's still indexing stuff because of the new install (even though it already imported my old DB)?.

My laptop is no slouch:

Well it's so jerky that by the time it scrolls a few lines, the thumbnail pops up for that note.  I don't remember this frustration with v4 and I'm a very heavy Evernote user. 

It's like the computer is running at 100% cpu with low memory... except that it isn't... it just feels that way. 

Is it possible that it's still indexing stuff because of the new install (even though it already imported my old DB)?.

It could be the indexing. We're generating a new index for type-ahead search. So that happens even if you've already imported/upgraded your old DB. It could also be your mouse (I've seen a gaming mouse & wacom pen/tablet give us some trouble). How is scrolling within an individual note?

It could be the indexing. We're generating a new index for type-ahead search. So that happens even if you've already imported/upgraded your old DB. It could also be your mouse (I've seen a gaming mouse & wacom pen/tablet give us some trouble). How is scrolling within an individual note?

Scrolling within a note is smooth, regardless if it's text or an image or a mixed note (i.e. full clip of a webpage).  

The new UI looks flat like in Office 2013 or Visual Studio 2012 but in the current status it still needs some work. Compared to Office it lacks colors and black/grey for all these icons doesn't look good.

At the moment I have 3 4 complains:

1. The new scrollbars are ugly. The default Windows scrollbars and the ones from Office 2013 or VS 2012 are looking much better. There is also no visible distinction between the normal application background and the scrollbar area.
  2. Bug: I can use this resize area only once. To use it again I have to restart Evernote. I marked it in yellow on this screenshot.
  3. Due to the flat UI I actually have problems with distinguishing these two windows. Yes, I may get used to it but currently it is just a pain. ;)
  4. While I was taking the previous screenshot I noticed that I still have to use the title bar to drag a window. Currently there is no visual distinction between the draggable titble bar area and the non-draggable area. I marked this in the previous screenshot.

As you can see I am currently not satisfied with the new UI. Personally I prefer native UIs and Evernote 4 was already looking good. Even on a Windows 8 desktop these flat apps are looking odd. Sure, you won't change it back anymore but I hope that you will improve it until the final release of Evernote 5.

I would be happy to. (if it doesn't fall on deaf ears again)

1. First I think that the interface as being flat really matches the look we can seen in Microsoft office 2013 applications. I like the modern design direction, but it's not really polished. seems halp baked and like a bad imitation of Microsoft as it is now. I'm a designer myself so... Anyway,  the interface bug I posted the screenshot of few posts back. That should have happen if it was tested properly, No other application on windows of thousands that I have seen has that. It's almost like the interface was design to fit another platform and was not tested enough.
  2. There is a small size toolbar for buttons but a very long one for search bar, It should be other way around, since it make no sense that you limit the space for buttons, but leave so much space for simple search bar. Tool bar is a place for shortcuts. limiting it's space like this is either do to lack or experience on who ever was the designer of the interface or it is something you have not polished out yet. Either way it limits the user experience and it's an simple design decision.
  3. If you are making a flat looking interface than as someone already mentioned there should be at least a small difference in the shading in between UI elements, that is UI design 101. White next to light gray next to darker gray for example. Someone already posted that. Microsoft office 2013 had the same problem when it was in beta stage, after a lot of complaints they have finally fixed that. I hope you will to. There are other UI bugs as pointed out by another user so it definitely needs more work.
  4. It is well known that windows users have been ignored for a long time, regarding information about the future release and features. All one has to do is read the forums. So when you release a beta or new version to not include reminders feature again, the most requested feature and every other platform has it already, that is an insult to the windows users. Plain and simple. For a company that has 60 mil + users that should be unacceptable

in my humble opinion. 

5. Some common features that I would have expected from a seemingly mature application such as evernote is better more intuitive word processing, you could take hints again from Microsoft word. Right mouse click and real time word editing. It's an application for taking notes after all. To not have something so crucial seems very strange to me.
  6. Every other little feature could turn into a feature request list and I don't think this is the place for it, but the things I listed above are so crucial in my opinion that I just don't see how any company, especially one so established can ignore them for so long. This is the fifth version of the program, it's not version 1.0. User based has matured enough to make this a serious app.

Anyway, I won't do a rant here out of respect for the thread but since you asked those would be my top priorities if I was part of the team. I just hope the silent treatment windows users are getting is not going to continue because it is damaging the company long term. I don't know who is in charge of PR but they are doing a bad job. Users don't need much, but one thing they definitely need, is to know that the evernote team cares about it's users. Without that there is no loyalty. And sooner or later Evernote alternative will show up that is better and treats is users with a bit more care. So I would advise the evernote PR department to take that into account. But I'm only stating the obvious.

My point is that after so much delays for win users what Evernote 5 beta offers now it's not enough.  And it should be in fact called Evernote 5 alpha. Reminders are not working yet and there are big UI bugs. It's a simple UI, it's not a game or something like that so I think that such bugs cannot be a luxury. That is why I'm hesitant to consider this beta.

P.S.

And one last thing. The things I wrote, I wrote because they need to be pointed out. I love evernote (v.4) even with it's flaws. It changed the way I run my life, regarding notes and organization. I don't know if I should be greatful for it but I guess I should be so thank you. I would really love to see it as something I can use for the rest of my life. But when I see Evernote so openly ignoring certain segment of users, it breaks my hearth and make me hesitant to committed fully to it. (reason why I did not go premium yet). Somebody is working hard to make the code and servers and all that right and some yahoo in charge of marketing is pissing that away with their policy. I mean YouTube video where comments are disabled, what is that. How is that, hey tell us how we can help you. It's not it's a one way commercial. Anyway, I just hope that internal part of the company can work more towards the common goal - make the app that will make all our lives easier and better. Which I was under the impression was the original intent.

I would not mind waiting for six more months to see evernote 5 but to buy that time sense of participation must exist. I'm writing this to express my thoughts. But you are only a person working here. Somehow I doubt this will reach people at the top who can make such decisions. But thank you for the opportunity to at least express it here. Maybe you or some of the readers share some of pain points with me as the user. Thank you.

Kruno

My laptop is no slouch:

I'm confirming that indexing was the culprit.  Everything is fine now and smooth.  

I noted that EV was running about 3% cpu for the past several hours and I checked it again and it's 0-0.1% on idle, so indexing must have completed. 

Can you tell us what is different from the current EN Mac ver (5.2.0)?

It looks like Evernote 5 for Windows is also a dumbed down version, just like Evernote 5 for Mac. I do not know exactly if any significant features are missing, but in many ways it seems very similar to the Mac version for better and worse. The most obvious difference in terms of UI is that the Windows user get full control over which icons to show/hide both in the general menu bar (including new camera and audio notes) and in the note window (including back and forward buttons) - a luxury that Mac users are apparently deemed too dumb to administrate. Also Windows users are not burdened with the "all information in the world whether you want it or not"-thing for .pdf-attachment, nor are they burdened by the Reminders feature. In contrast, though, in terms of shared notes they're just as screwed with regard to tags as Mac users. The Atlas feature is just as borked as it is on the Mac version.

A possible bug, though: When I removed "Notebooks" from the sidebar (which is not white text on dark background, which is also a significant difference), I could not find a way to add it back.

• Level 5*

do not like this commingling of Business and Personal notebooks, as well as Business tags and Personal tags. Especially the tags. I have 20+ notebooks and can muddle through that, but I have 300 personal tags and hundreds and hundreds of business tags that me and fellow co-workers have set up.

There are no icons next to notebooks either, so you cannot tell what is:

• Personal
  • Personal Offline
  • Personal Shared
  • Business

My tags are a mess. I have a Personal tag called "#quote" that I use for work (GTD method). Evernote 4.x properly reports that there are 10 notes tagged that way in my personal notebook "pending actions" and 407 notes in my Business notebook. Here is what Evernote 5 reports:

• #quote (myname)
  • #quote (myname) (407)
  • #quote (myname)

What the heck does that mean? :wacko: Personal tags should be visible when personal notebooks are selected, and Business tags when business notbooks are selected. Why would this be commingled? Have hundreds of tags set up by fellow employees in our business notebooks showing when I am in my personal notebooks. My tag list goes for over 50 screens now!

I do like how the saved searches are in a big dropdown from the Search menu.  :D

Are their any plans to fix the notebook and tag listing so it is again usable for those of us with business and personal notebooks, or even just personal that we want to know what is local, shared or just sync'd and not share?

The tag thing is a showstopper for me. I cannot even begin to find what I need and know the difference between the two "#quotes" and one "#quotes (myname)" and that is happening dozens and dozens of times.

Did I mention the tag issue?  ;)

For me the fix is this given the way the UI is structured. (I am just thinking out loud here - not telling you what to do, but what would make sense to me)

1. In the Notes section at the very top right under "Shortcuts" where it is split between Personal and Business (non-business users may not see this) move all personal notebooks under Personal, and all business under Business. You could then do away with the "notebooks" section entirely. (or keep it, but I wouldn't use it, nor see a need for it). Thankfully the dropdown to move notes or the right-click to copy/move notes continues to split between business and personal. Please do not change that to mirror the current sidebar mish-mash listing.
  2. Only show personal/business tags when a personal/business notebooks is shown. Only show them all when the root "Notes" is selected that shows all notes. Furthermore, only show tags that are from shared notebooks that I am not the host for (my wife's recipe notebook for example) when that notebook is active. There is no reason for me to see the "mushroom" tag 99.999% of my life. 
  3. Bring back some sort of visual indicator on notebooks to indicate what is shared/offline. You could ignore Personal and Business icons if they were split as in point #1 above.

(and yes, I liked my own post)

The new UI looks flat like in Office 2013 or Visual Studio 2012 but in the current status it still needs some work. Compared to Office it lacks colors and black/grey for all these icons doesn't look good.

At the moment I have 3 4 complains:

1. The new scrollbars are ugly. The default Windows scrollbars and the ones from Office 2013 or VS 2012 are looking much better. There is also no visible distinction between the normal application background and the scrollbar area.
  2. Bug: I can use this resize area only once. To use it again I have to restart Evernote. I marked it in yellow on this screenshot.
  3. Due to the flat UI I actually have problems with distinguishing these two windows. Yes, I may get used to it but currently it is just a pain. ;)
  4. While I was taking the previous screenshot I noticed that I still have to use the title bar to drag a window. Currently there is no visual distinction between the draggable titble bar area and the non-draggable area. I marked this in the previous screenshot.

As you can see I am currently not satisfied with the new UI. Personally I prefer native UIs and Evernote 4 was already looking good. Even on a Windows 8 desktop these flat apps are looking odd. Sure, you won't change it back anymore but I hope that you will improve it until the final release of Evernote 5.

Thanks for the screenshots!

• Level 5*

1. How come this thread doesn't show up when I select "Windows" in the Evernote section?

The shortcut bar in 4.x was particularly useful because it was available 100% of the time. In 5.x, by putting it in the side bar, it vanishes, and in my list of 50 screens of tags, it is a lot of moving around to get to what should be available 100% of the time. Moving the shortcut bar functionality to "shortcut folders" would be like getting rid of the Menu in Evernote and moving the menu commands to the sidebar. (I am not trying to give anyone ideas here - don't touch the menu location, though I'd be ok if you fixed the ALL CAPS THAT THE MENUS ARE IN AS THAT IS HARD TO READ AND LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE ON OUR AS/400 PROGRAMMING TEAM WROTE IN 1978)

1. How come this thread doesn't show up when I select "Windows" in the Evernote section?
  2. The shortcut bar in 4.x was particularly useful because it was available 100% of the time. In 5.x, by putting it in the side bar, it vanishes, and in my list of 50 screens of tags, it is a lot of moving around to get to what should be available 100% of the time. Moving the shortcut bar functionality to "shortcut folders" would be like getting rid of the Menu in Evernote and moving the menu commands to the sidebar. (I am not trying to give anyone ideas here - don't touch the menu location, though I'd be ok if you fixed the ALL CAPS THAT THE MENUS ARE IN AS THAT IS HARD TO READ AND LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE ON OUR AS/400 PROGRAMMING TEAM WROTE IN 1978)

1. Tried fixing it now, my apologies

2. Noted about the menu. WE MAY OR MAY NOT BE DEBATING THIS ALREADY

Hey Guys,

I like the look of the new beta - hoping this propagates to the Android version as well (clean white look, maybe with a dark theme option hint hint?).

Anyway, small bug:

Select a notebook, CTRL-select two tags, flip "All" to "Any", and no notes show up, even though each tag has notes in it. Saved it as a search, edited it to remove any notebooks, and still, no notes show up.

any: tag:"tag1" tag:"tag2"

Nothing gets returned.

-Tom

Ok i hate to say this, but after waiting and waiting and waiting to finally get a windows update with reminders when i've been seeing all of these other platforms get it(including platforms that frankly would be less important/used imo than the power users who have it open all the time and use it for everything in thier lives with the standard windows installs).. I was extactic to finally see a major update. major revision number 5.. I quickly downloaded it even though it was in beta. Boy...

What a fripping disappointment... One of the single most requested featues of evernote for YEARS.. reminders... is not included.. and this is the next "major" revision.. If this new windows "major" revision does't have the one "MAJOR" most requested feature that you've implemented this year and already implemented on all other platforms, then it should be a minor revision as that is THE MAJOR addition you just left out.. my 2 cents...

Hey Guys,

I like the look of the new beta - hoping this propagates to the Android version as well (clean white look, maybe with a dark theme option hint hint?).

-Tom

yeah there needs to be a dark theme sooooo badly..  my windows and android both have dark themes.. and these white apps are blinding...

• Level 5*

Ok i hate to say this, but after waiting and waiting and waiting to finally get a windows update with reminders when i've been seeing all of these other platforms get it(including platforms that frankly would be less important/used imo than the power users who have it open all the time and use it for everything in thier lives with the standard windows installs).. I was extactic to finally see a major update. major revision number 5.. I quickly downloaded it even though it was in beta. Boy...

What a fripping disappointment... One of the single most requested featues of evernote for YEARS.. reminders... is not included.. and this is the next "major" revision.. If this new windows "major" revision does't have the one "MAJOR" most requested feature that you've implemented this year and already implemented on all other platforms, then it should be a minor revision as that is THE MAJOR addition you just left out.. my 2 cents...

This is a beta, not feature complete. Your post would be valid if 5.0 was released sans reminders, but in a beta? That is the point of a beta. Fine tuning.

Keep in mind that this was put out up front on the "What's New" page, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. 

@dlu

It's pretty good. I won't claim to be a fan of the flat design flavor of the month, but it works with the exception of the scroll bars. They are a good bit more difficult to grab than the standard ones. A bit too narrow.

Also, I'm pretty slow, but I can not figure out how to set the sort order of the notes.

*Edit* Never mind I found it, but it's a little removed for easy access. Perhaps these type things could be addressed by adding more options to customizing the toolbar.

Regards,

Gary

1. First I think that the interface as being flat really matches the look we can seen in Microsoft office 2013 applications. I like the modern design direction, but it's not really polished. seems halp baked and like a bad imitation of Microsoft as it is now. I'm a designer myself so... Anyway,  the interface bug I posted the screenshot of few posts back. That should have happen if it was tested properly, No other application on windows of thousands that I have seen has that. It's almost like the interface was design to fit another platform and was not tested enough.
  2. There is a small size toolbar for buttons but a very long one for search bar, It should be other way around, since it make no sense that you limit the space for buttons, but leave so much space for simple search bar. Tool bar is a place for shortcuts. limiting it's space like this is either do to lack or experience on who ever was the designer of the interface or it is something you have not polished out yet. Either way it limits the user experience and it's an simple design decision.
  3. If you are making a flat looking interface than as someone already mentioned there should be at least a small difference in the shading in between UI elements, that is UI design 101. White next to light gray next to darker gray for example. Someone already posted that. Microsoft office 2013 had the same problem when it was in beta stage, after a lot of complaints they have finally fixed that. I hope you will to. There are other UI bugs as pointed out by another user so it definitely needs more work.
  4. It is well known that windows users have been ignored for a long time, regarding information about the future release and features. All one has to do is read the forums. So when you release a beta or new version to not include reminders feature again, the most requested feature and every other platform has it already, that is an insult to the windows users. Plain and simple. For a company that has 60 mil + users that should be unacceptable

in my humble opinion. 

5. Some common features that I would have expected from a seemingly mature application such as evernote is better more intuitive word processing, you could take hints again from Microsoft word. Right mouse click and real time word editing. It's an application for taking notes after all. To not have something so crucial seems very strange to me.
  6. Every other little feature could turn into a feature request list and I don't think this is the place for it, but the things I listed above are so crucial in my opinion that I just don't see how any company, especially one so established can ignore them for so long. This is the fifth version of the program, it's not version 1.0. User based has matured enough to make this a serious app.

Anyway, I won't do a rant here out of respect for the thread but since you asked those would be my top priorities if I was part of the team. I just hope the silent treatment windows users are getting is not going to continue because it is damaging the company long term. I don't know who is in charge of PR but they are doing a bad job. Users don't need much, but one thing they definitely need, is to know that the evernote team cares about it's users. Without that there is no loyalty. And sooner or later Evernote alternative will show up that is better and treats is users with a bit more care. So I would advise the evernote PR department to take that into account. But I'm only stating the obvious.

My point is that after so much delays for win users what Evernote 5 beta offers now it's not enough.  And it should be in fact called Evernote 5 alpha. Reminders are not working yet and there are big UI bugs. It's a simple UI, it's not a game or something like that so I think that such bugs cannot be a luxury. That is why I'm hesitant to consider this beta.

P.S.

And one last thing. The things I wrote, I wrote because they need to be pointed out. I love evernote (v.4) even with it's flaws. It changed the way I run my life, regarding notes and organization. I don't know if I should be greatful for it but I guess I should be so thank you. I would really love to see it as something I can use for the rest of my life. But when I see Evernote so openly ignoring certain segment of users, it breaks my hearth and make me hesitant to committed fully to it. (reason why I did not go premium yet). Somebody is working hard to make the code and servers and all that right and some yahoo in charge of marketing is pissing that away with their policy. I mean YouTube video where comments are disabled, what is that. How is that, hey tell us how we can help you. It's not it's a one way commercial. Anyway, I just hope that internal part of the company can work more towards the common goal - make the app that will make all our lives easier and better. Which I was under the impression was the original intent.

I would not mind waiting for six more months to see evernote 5 but to buy that time sense of participation must exist. I'm writing this to express my thoughts. But you are only a person working here. Somehow I doubt this will reach people at the top who can make such decisions. But thank you for the opportunity to at least express it here. Maybe you or some of the readers share some of pain points with me as the user. Thank you.

Kruno

Thanks for the post! Sorry this is coming as a more delayed response.

1. I really like the new flat look. We'll be going through and adding polish. Overall, we wanted to involve the community early on, so there's some known issues that we're still working through. (And features that are yet to come!) The screenshot you posted earlier is something we're still working through. I don't have the technical expertise to give if a thorough explanation so I won't even try. I do suspect though that it is the cause of many gray hairs...

2. Ah yes the search bar. How do you like the type ahead search and such? Currently that drop down menu lines up next to the snippet & cards, which seems more usable than having the search bar far away in the top right. I do appreciate the feedback, it is something that we will probably keep discussing internally.

3. We'll be tinkering at different things here and there. Again, we're out a bit on the early side. I appreciate that folks are using Skitch to point out things though :)

4. Again, it's about communicating with folks early and opting for early feedback. Much of what we've done so far is the backdrop for upcoming features and fixes. We're super excited about Reminders, I hope no one here thinks that we're "putting them off" or something like that.

5. Yep, plenty of work to do in general. The note editor is something that always needs more work, and we're hoping to get better coverage on that. I know we have plenty of feature requests there as well. If all goes well we'll... wait sorry can't give a roadmap :P

6. Instead of repeating yet again about getting early feedback, I'll talk a bit about our team structure. We've got a Windows team that is separate, independent and only works on the Windows client. So I don't think it is curious to hear that you feel as if we have been ignoring the Windows client. We've been working on it non-stop! I'm sorry you have gotten that impression. We have been juggling a V4 and a V5 client for some time, so from the public's point of view we have been a little quiet lately.

But yes, we definitely do take into account user feedback and opinions. I hope that I have a good enough track record on the forums to lend me some credibility on that front. (And I'm rather proud of my overall post count, even if I'm no where near Dave Engberg) I don't have any insight to the YouTube comments, but personally, I can see why

Anyways, now that V5 is out in the public, I hope your impression will change as we roll out new updates.

cheers!

@dlu

*Edit* Never mind I found it, but it's a little removed for easy access. Perhaps these type things could be addressed by adding more options to customizing the toolbar.

Regards,

Gary

Yeah we had to shuffle a few things around to keep things clean. Sort order is something where most users never deviate from the default, and those who do tend to set it and forget it. So I felt less bad about having it a bit removed.

So far I like it and had no problems with the upgrade.  Bit of polishing but otherwise great.  

Have noticed that enscript isn't working, I assume this will be sorted as we get closer to a final release.

• Level 5*

@dlu

Regards,

Gary

Yeah we had to shuffle a few things around to keep things clean. Sort order is something where most users never deviate from the default, and those who do tend to set it and forget it. So I felt less bad about having it a bit removed.

DLU, this is exactly what I mean when I say that the Evernote design team puts form AHEAD of function.  Somehow you guys think that how it looks is more important than how it works.  This is just wrong.

@dlu

Regards,

Gary

DLU, this is exactly what I mean when I say that the Evernote design team puts form AHEAD of function.  Somehow you guys think that how it looks is more important than how it works.  This is just wrong.

I have to completely disagree. We've moved things around to make the app more usable. A cluttered & un-prioritized interface is a hard to use. It is better to have often used elements out in front and infrequently used items to receive a lower priority. (Of course there's more nuance in real life) But we didn't decide to move the Sort options because we felt they were ugly

• Level 5*

I have to completely disagree. We've moved things around to make the app more usable. A cluttered & un-prioritized interface is a hard to use. It is better to have often used elements out in front and infrequently used items to receive a lower priority. (Of course there's more nuance in real life) But we didn't decide to move the Sort options because we felt they were ugly

Then how do you explain Evernotes continued use of LOW contrast text (like gray text on gray background)?  There is ONLY one reason to use such a color scheme:  because you think it looks cool/better.  This completely ignores the fact that it makes it MUCH harder to read for a lot of people.  Black text on white (or light gray) is much, much easier to read, and eliminates a lot of eye strain.

So your are putting form (cool looks) AHEAD of function (readability).

Then how do you explain Evernotes continued use of LOW contrast text (like gray text on gray background)?  There is ONLY one reason to use such a color scheme:  because you think it looks cool/better.  This completely ignores the fact that it makes it MUCH harder to read for a lot of people.  Black text on white (or light gray) is much, much easier to read, and eliminates a lot of eye strain.

So your are putting form (cool looks) AHEAD of function (readability).

Are we talking about the sorting options still? It is starting to feel like we're drifting away...

I'll add you as a +1 to more contrast in V5 for the Windows client

• Level 5*

Some day, DLU, you will be over 40 and realize just how important high-contrast text, and a reasonable text size, is to readability.  You young kids just don't get it.  :-)

I can confirm I also have this issue on my Windows 8 64 laptop.  Also I have a dual monitor set up and the side of the evernote program is showing up on the other monitor when maximised.

• Level 5*

It is well known that windows users have been ignored for a long time, regarding information about the future release and features. All one has to do is read the forums. So when you release a beta or new version to not include reminders feature again, the most requested feature and every other platform has it already, that is an insult to the windows users. Plain and simple. For a company that has 60 mil + users that should be unacceptable

Your actual criticisms of the new UI are fine; I've touched on some of them myself during the early alpha releases.

This one (the one that's not related to the actual software) is off the mark. First off, Evernote does not, in general, give out information about future releases and features for *any* platform. It's a company policy, and it's no different with regard to the Windows client. How do I know this? Plain and simple: I read the forums, a lot. All platforms have users here who think that their favorite platforms are being ignored by Evernote (or worse, I guess, that Evernote favors other clients more): Mac users, iOS users, Android users. And yes, Windows users. Well guess what? It is not an insult to Windows users. Or to Mac users. Or iOS users. Or Android users. It's just the way that they run their business.

If you think that leaving reminders out of the WIndows version is an insult to Windows users, then I guess that you also think that leaving out features from other clients that exist in the Windows version is an insult to the users of those clients? How long did some Mac users pine for vertical list view? How about the mobile platforms? They can only dream about note editing that does as much as the Windows platform does (of course, the Windows users know that that's not perfect). Get a little sense of perspective on this: all of their clients have some strengths relative to the others, and all have their weaknesses. It's not an insult; it's due to the way that their client developer teams are run, independent of the others.

Would I like more openness about their future plans? Dunno, I wouldn't mind it, I guess, but then again I base my use of Evernote on what's shipping on the platforms I am using today, not what I wish it will be like tomorrow.

Another "Entry Point Not Found" error. 

Hi Guys, 

I figured I would give the beta a shot. Installation seemed to go ok, but the new version won't run, failing with the error dialog "Evernote.exe - Entry Point Not Found". The specific error message in the dialog is 

"The procedure entry point sqlite3Fts3InitTasTermsModule could not be located in the dynamic link library LibSQLite.dll" 

(not sure how to paste in an image here). I saw a couple of earlier reports of the same error but no resolution. Unlike the earlier folks I am installing on Windows XP, not on Windows 7 64 bit. 

For what it's worth I can confirm that I have one (and only one) version of libsqlite.dll on my machine, located at "c:\program files\evernote\evernote": 

3/16/2012  15:43         630,784  libsqlite.dll

Any suggestions or advice? 

Thanks, 

Wilf.

• Level 5*

So, the ongoing list of issues that I've found:

* ENScript still crashes when you try to execute commands. For example, ENScript showNotes /q "tag:Todo" will crash.

* The UI will allow you to filter the note list in ways that you cannot do with the search grammar, and when so filtered, you cannot it in a saved search. Easy example: select from the left panel "Personal Notes" or "Business Notes". Those are useful commands. Your note list filters accordingly. Now try to save as a saved search: it comes up empty. Not so useful.

* The easy selectors for some of the more esoteric searches (images, attachments, pdfs) are no longer anywhere to be found (they used to be over in the left panel). Maybe they'll come out of the search control someday -- is that like the Mac client? The Android client can do something like this as well. In the meanwhile, the change make it hard to do things that were once easier to accomplish.

* My favorite hobbyhorse is that the new location of the search bar is now disconnected from the element that it operates directly on: the note list, unless you're using the horizontal list view. I use the snippet view, and while that's in the middle-left of my Evernote layout, the search control is over on the upper right. They used to be tightly integrated; now they're not. I have yet to be convinced that this is a good UI choice. I am happy that the search info has remained, as it is ever useful information.

* I miss the toolbar -- I felt like that was my space, and I could put as many or few saved searches and other controls there, in the order that I preferred. It would be nice to have that back -- I used it a lot.

I do give yáll a pass on the Reminders thingie. I know that the version 5 stuff was a big rewrite, and reminders didn't make it in. Definitely a nice-to-have, but not fatal, and I know they're coming.

• Level 5*

This is a beta, not feature complete. Your post would be valid if 5.0 was released sans reminders, but in a beta? That is the point of a beta. Fine tuning.

I'm not so sure: beta is supposed to be feature complete; all that should be left should be the fine tuning (not all companies work this way, I understand, but see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle -- alpha ends when the software is feature complete). If betas don't make it to the first official 5.0 release (and at this point I expect them not to be, but who knows?), that doesn't make this any less a beta; it just means that it's not part of the feature set for this release, i.e., it's feature complete with respect to reminders, at least. The 5.0 designation most likely refers to the UI overhaul, which brings it more or less in line with the Mac version 5 (pre-reminders).

I understand the disappointment, but I don't get the handwringing over the lack of reminders; it's almost as if some folks think Evernote left them out just to thumb their noses at us (this is not directed at you, Ed, btw). If they could have gotten reminders into the previously planned UI update in a safe manner, I'm sure that they would have. They've got to have known that they were going to take flack over their absence...

Here's a suggestion: 

In the new v.5 beta, when you are looking at a note, the title is now more or less part of the note. The problem is, if you have a long-ish note, and you scroll down, you cannot see the title of the note you are in. It's not in the topbar of the note window, either. So you no longer can see what note you are in. 

One of 2 things need to be done to fix this: 

1. The title should not scroll, or...

2. The note should (optionally) show in the topbar to the right of the menu, perhaps. 

Thanks. 

Hi Guys, 

I figured I would give the beta a shot. Installation seemed to go ok, but the new version won't run, failing with the error dialog "Evernote.exe - Entry Point Not Found". The specific error message in the dialog is 

"The procedure entry point sqlite3Fts3InitTasTermsModule could not be located in the dynamic link library LibSQLite.dll" 

(not sure how to paste in an image here). I saw a couple of earlier reports of the same error but no resolution. Unlike the earlier folks I am installing on Windows XP, not on Windows 7 64 bit. 

For what it's worth I can confirm that I have one (and only one) version of libsqlite.dll on my machine, located at "c:\program files\evernote\evernote": 

Thanks, 

Wilf.

Could you try an uninstall and a reinstall? If that doesn't work, PM me

I'm not so sure: beta is supposed to be feature complete; all that should be left should be the fine tuning (not all companies work this way, I understand, but see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle -- alpha ends when the software is feature complete). If betas don't make it to the first official 5.0 release (and at this point I expect them not to be, but who knows?), that doesn't make this any less a beta; it just means that it's not part of the feature set for this release, i.e., it's feature complete with respect to reminders, at least. The 5.0 designation most likely refers to the UI overhaul, which brings it more or less in line with the Mac version 5 (pre-reminders).

I always thought Alpha meant it was open to internal testing (those who were part of the development process) and beta included users who were not part of the development process. Anyways, we will be adding new features in upcoming betas.

Here's a suggestion: 

In the new v.5 beta, when you are looking at a note, the title is now more or less part of the note. The problem is, if you have a long-ish note, and you scroll down, you cannot see the title of the note you are in. It's not in the topbar of the note window, either. So you no longer can see what note you are in. 

2. The note should (optionally) show in the topbar to the right of the menu, perhaps. 

Thanks. 

Could you give a few examples/workflows where you need to refer to the title after you've scrolled down? Thus far, we are hoping that users can quickly hit the "i" in order to bring up the Note Title and other metadata.

Here's a suggestion: 

Thanks. 

Could you give a few examples/workflows where you need to refer to the title after you've scrolled down? Thus far, we are hoping that users can quickly hit the "i" in order to bring up the Note Title and other metadata.

Sure. When I have a few notes open and a couple of them are long notes, and I am adding something to the end of one of the long notes. If I go to another program, like Chrome or Word or SQL Server Management Studio, and then back to my EN notes, I cannot tell from the top of the window which note is which. 

Try it yourself, you'll see. Create 3 notes. Paste in some long test from the Wikipedia (for example) in each one. Scroll to the bottom of them. Go to Chrome or some other program. Go back to you EN windows. Hard to tell which is which. If you use ALT+TAB, its in the windows switching dialog, but if you're using a mouse you have to scroll up to see which title is which.

That's a problem. You should be able to glance at the note window and know immediately by seeing the title what note you are looking at, regardless of how far down you have scrolled

Thanks. 

Chalk me up as someone who very much dislikes the way the UI is going. I did not like it when VS2012 went this way and it is sad to see Evernote is going this way as well. (No, I do not like most of the flat UI design Microsoft cooked up, it violates too many UI design principles, Android has a better balance between flat and functional).

• Menu titles (yes, I know you're discussing this already), basically you are defying hundreds of years of typographic knowledge and design, full upper case is more tiring to read for us humans.
  • You lost any clear UI distinction between what is chrome and what is interaction elements, Evernote now has become a point and click adventure game next to a note editing application.
  • You also lost any semblance to having a clearly defined unique look to your app. The Evernote green colour is nowhere to be seen and this app could be anyone's at this point.
  • A pity formatting is still limited, would've been nice to be able to edit background colours without having to export and use an editor to fix things up.

Sorry to sound so negative, but the Evernote Windows client with v5 is now a negative user experience for me.

Edit: if you want an example of a high contrast flat design application: MetroTwit on Windows 7 is a nice one.

Hi Guys, 

Thanks, 

Wilf.

Could you try an uninstall and a reinstall? If that doesn't work, PM me

I found that if I uninstall v5, then delete the entire C:\Program Files(x86)\Evernote directory, then re-install v5, the application starts up fine.

Hi,

i'm running the new beta 5 and i noticed that in v5 the shared notebooks have the same color as the rest of the notebooks. In version 4.X the shared notebooks had a slightly different color and this made them easier to distinguish.

Also the interface reminds me of the Zune Player and it does not feel like a "native" Windows UI.

• custome templates are not displayed properly in the new beta 5. Evernote web is displaying them correct, as well as the older versions. screenshots attached. Evernnote%205%20beta.pngEvernote%20Web.png

Cheers,

shemeta

Hi,

Evernote is my best friend, and my best best friend are the short cuts alt-shift-t and alt-shift-n. where is? 

In Ev5 there aren't these shortcuts, I have found that I can use the search for the same function, but this is slow compared to only tag menù. Reintroduce they, please!

I agree with these issues:

Delete trash does not work

Scroll bars are MUCH too hard to use, too small

All caps in titles makes them harder to read

Grey on grey makes reading harder for us older folk. Higher contrast as default is better than lower contrast.

Other than that, good job, a significant upgrade

do not like this commingling of Business and Personal notebooks, as well as Business tags and Personal tags. Especially the tags. I have 20+ notebooks and can muddle through that, but I have 300 personal tags and hundreds and hundreds of business tags that me and fellow co-workers have set up.

There are no icons next to notebooks either, so you cannot tell what is:

• Personal
  • Personal Offline
  • Personal Shared
  • Business

My tags are a mess. I have a Personal tag called "#quote" that I use for work (GTD method). Evernote 4.x properly reports that there are 10 notes tagged that way in my personal notebook "pending actions" and 407 notes in my Business notebook. Here is what Evernote 5 reports:

• #quote (myname)
  • #quote (myname) (407)
  • #quote (myname)

What the heck does that mean? :wacko: Personal tags should be visible when personal notebooks are selected, and Business tags when business notbooks are selected. Why would this be commingled? Have hundreds of tags set up by fellow employees in our business notebooks showing when I am in my personal notebooks. My tag list goes for over 50 screens now!

I do like how the saved searches are in a big dropdown from the Search menu.  :D

Are their any plans to fix the notebook and tag listing so it is again usable for those of us with business and personal notebooks, or even just personal that we want to know what is local, shared or just sync'd and not share?

The tag thing is a showstopper for me. I cannot even begin to find what I need and know the difference between the two "#quotes" and one "#quotes (myname)" and that is happening dozens and dozens of times.

Did I mention the tag issue?  ;)

For me the fix is this given the way the UI is structured. (I am just thinking out loud here - not telling you what to do, but what would make sense to me)

1. In the Notes section at the very top right under "Shortcuts" where it is split between Personal and Business (non-business users may not see this) move all personal notebooks under Personal, and all business under Business. You could then do away with the "notebooks" section entirely. (or keep it, but I wouldn't use it, nor see a need for it). Thankfully the dropdown to move notes or the right-click to copy/move notes continues to split between business and personal. Please do not change that to mirror the current sidebar mish-mash listing.
  2. Only show personal/business tags when a personal/business notebooks is shown. Only show them all when the root "Notes" is selected that shows all notes. Furthermore, only show tags that are from shared notebooks that I am not the host for (my wife's recipe notebook for example) when that notebook is active. There is no reason for me to see the "mushroom" tag 99.999% of my life. 
  3. Bring back some sort of visual indicator on notebooks to indicate what is shared/offline. You could ignore Personal and Business icons if they were split as in point #1 above.

(and yes, I liked my own post)

I agree, a clear separation of personal and shared notebooks / tags is a must. Please don't fix what wasn't broken. :P

--

F

@dlu

It's pretty good. I won't claim to be a fan of the flat design flavor of the month, but it works with the exception of the scroll bars. They are a good bit more difficult to grab than the standard ones. A bit too narrow.

Also, I'm pretty slow, but I can not figure out how to set the sort order of the notes.

Regards,

Gary

Agreed. I like the release in general, but I'm finding the scroll bars a little too thin. In particular the scrollbar for a docked note on the right hand panel. Difficult to see and to grab,

• Level 5*

1. Whether or not you decide to keep small or smaller scroll bars, this is probably the best time to adress the issue of accidentally moving tags within the tag tree by missing to grab the scroll bar and instead grabbing a tag and move it somewhere. As there is no undo, moving tags and notebooks should come with a confirmation box similar to moving a note to the trash.

2. I also miss the option to add a tag seach, saved search, notebook search in the customized toolbar. I understand that this was implemented in the smart search as well, but if you now want to find a tag you have to scroll through suggestions, notebooks and other tags to get to a tag at the bottom, instead of just the tags. This search would also make the navigation on the left jump to the selected notebook/tag. The new search just shows the notes tagged with the selected tag ie.

3. Like others

- I miss the shortcuts in the toolbar

- I would prefer a few splashes of color in the UI

- A dark theme would be nice

- I miss icons next to stacks, notebooks etc.

- Patiently awaiting Highlighting.

4. Right now I'm on a WinXP computer, and the look of the 'search explanation' bar in hasn't changed since v.4 which looks weird as it's in orange and has the old UI. 

Also the note title seem to be placed over the top line of the note, hiding what's underneath. Sometimes the note jumps down a few lines, showing the whole note, but that's far from every time.

in my humble opinion. 

P.S.

Kruno

Thanks for the post! Sorry this is coming as a more delayed response.

1. I really like the new flat look. We'll be going through and adding polish. Overall, we wanted to involve the community early on, so there's some known issues that we're still working through. (And features that are yet to come!) The screenshot you posted earlier is something we're still working through. I don't have the technical expertise to give if a thorough explanation so I won't even try. I do suspect though that it is the cause of many gray hairs...

2. Ah yes the search bar. How do you like the type ahead search and such? Currently that drop down menu lines up next to the snippet & cards, which seems more usable than having the search bar far away in the top right. I do appreciate the feedback, it is something that we will probably keep discussing internally.

3. We'll be tinkering at different things here and there. Again, we're out a bit on the early side. I appreciate that folks are using Skitch to point out things though :)

4. Again, it's about communicating with folks early and opting for early feedback. Much of what we've done so far is the backdrop for upcoming features and fixes. We're super excited about Reminders, I hope no one here thinks that we're "putting them off" or something like that.

5. Yep, plenty of work to do in general. The note editor is something that always needs more work, and we're hoping to get better coverage on that. I know we have plenty of feature requests there as well. If all goes well we'll... wait sorry can't give a roadmap :P

6. Instead of repeating yet again about getting early feedback, I'll talk a bit about our team structure. We've got a Windows team that is separate, independent and only works on the Windows client. So I don't think it is curious to hear that you feel as if we have been ignoring the Windows client. We've been working on it non-stop! I'm sorry you have gotten that impression. We have been juggling a V4 and a V5 client for some time, so from the public's point of view we have been a little quiet lately.

But yes, we definitely do take into account user feedback and opinions. I hope that I have a good enough track record on the forums to lend me some credibility on that front. (And I'm rather proud of my overall post count, even if I'm no where near Dave Engberg) I don't have any insight to the YouTube comments, but personally, I can see why

Anyways, now that V5 is out in the public, I hope your impression will change as we roll out new updates.

cheers!

"Ah yes the search bar. How do you like the type ahead search and such? Currently that drop down menu lines up next to the snippet & cards, which seems more usable than having the search bar far away in the top right. I do appreciate the feedback, it is something that we will probably keep discussing internally."

Search bar is not address bar or like you can find in Firefox or Chrome, both search and address bar. There is less need for adress bar in Evernote becouse unlike a web browser we can see where we are simply by looking at the notebook structure on the left. So the search bar has no purpose being so long. Title bar on the other hand has one important function. To give quick access to the common tool and you also made it customizable. When a user adds more than few buttons they don't fit so they disappear and a user have to click on little arrows to find them. That is the same as diging trough the menus to do the same things, thus defeating the purpose of having a quick access to the tools that should be whole point of toolbar. And off course the search bar is just wasting screen real estate since I don't expect that many people will type a sentence that long in order to find it. But even if they do it should be like any other form or search field. This are all basics of UI design, I hate to speculate how did this happen in the first place but it is certainly something that a professional company should not allow itself to do. I would imaging the goal is to lift standards, not lower them. Other alternative for the serach bar is to make it adjustable in lenght so that the user can fit all their toolbar buttons if they want to. users will appropriate the most two things.

"Again, it's about communicating with folks early and opting for early feedback. Much of what we've done so far is the backdrop for upcoming features and fixes. We're super excited about Reminders, I hope no one here thinks that we're "putting them off" or something like that."

Not sure it's early enough. Windows users have been asking for any feedback for some time without any answer. How much will the Evernote listen to the users now, remains to be seen. But I thank YOU for listening now. I just hope you can convince the rest of the Evernote team that some of these changes are needed.

" We've been working on it non-stop! I'm sorry you have gotten that impression. We have been juggling a V4 and a V5 client for some time, so from the public's point of view we have been a little quiet lately."

My point exactly. You have amazingly loyal and numerous users, that is gold in any industry. The fact that you are working hard is something people would understand I am certain of it. But when Evernote is so openly ignoring them and not answering any questions than the feeling they have is same as mine. All the buzz and new features for Apple users and even other platforms but when all the users who use windows ask "Hey, what about us?" Evernote is silent as grave.

People will back you up if you need more time or testing or anything, people will even pay for it, but all they want is two things. To FEEL understood and to feel empowered. Win users didn't really feel empowered. :(

"Anyways, now that V5 is out in the public, I hope your impression will change as we roll out new updates."

I would really like that, but after previous experiences my expectations are much lower now. Please, I would appreciate a pleasant surprise. :)

It is well known that windows users have been ignored for a long time, regarding information about the future release and features. All one has to do is read the forums. So when you release a beta or new version to not include reminders feature again, the most requested feature and every other platform has it already, that is an insult to the windows users. Plain and simple. For a company that has 60 mil + users that should be unacceptable

Your actual criticisms of the new UI are fine; I've touched on some of them myself during the early alpha releases.

This one (the one that's not related to the actual software) is off the mark. First off, Evernote does not, in general, give out information about future releases and features for *any* platform. It's a company policy, and it's no different with regard to the Windows client. How do I know this? Plain and simple: I read the forums, a lot. All platforms have users here who think that their favorite platforms are being ignored by Evernote (or worse, I guess, that Evernote favors other clients more): Mac users, iOS users, Android users. And yes, Windows users. Well guess what? It is not an insult to Windows users. Or to Mac users. Or iOS users. Or Android users. It's just the way that they run their business.

If you think that leaving reminders out of the WIndows version is an insult to Windows users, then I guess that you also think that leaving out features from other clients that exist in the Windows version is an insult to the users of those clients? How long did some Mac users pine for vertical list view? How about the mobile platforms? They can only dream about note editing that does as much as the Windows platform does (of course, the Windows users know that that's not perfect). Get a little sense of perspective on this: all of their clients have some strengths relative to the others, and all have their weaknesses. It's not an insult; it's due to the way that their client developer teams are run, independent of the others.

Would I like more openness about their future plans? Dunno, I wouldn't mind it, I guess, but then again I base my use of Evernote on what's shipping on the platforms I am using today, not what I wish it will be like tomorrow.

". First off, Evernote does not, in general, give out information about future releases and features for *any* platform. It's a company policy, and it's no different with regard to the Windows client."

Well my criticism is with the "Company Policy". You only confirm that.

I'm a subscriber to evernote newsletter and evernote youtube channel. For quite a few months I have been getting regular updates. All were for other platforms mainly for Apple platforms. Not one was for windows. Over and over again. Event when they show tips and tricks in Evernote blog, not one was on Windows platform. I too have spend time reading forums and what I found was a lot of questions and no answers, so I guess the "company policy" is in fact what I'm legitimately criticizing. You being the Evangelist for the company are not helping. On the contrary you confirm it.

"Would I like more openness about their future plans? Dunno, I wouldn't mind it, I guess, but then again I base my use of Evernote on what's shipping on the platforms I am using today, not what I wish it will be like tomorrow."

You are also a user, but so am I. Company trust is often based on transparency. Especially in today's age of social media and fast communication. To be transparent is a competitive advantage unlike in the past. That is old school. I too release software and had to learn to work with clients and customers. The things that I have learned are:

• Always be transparent and let users feel understood and empowers, in return they will provide evangelism* - small price to pay for such a big gain.
  • Manage expectations well. If you deliver as much as promised, they are satisfied but are not raving fan. If you deliver less the expected they feel disappointment and talk to their friends, that is bad press. But if you promise something and you deliver more than that, you have raving fan. Managing expectations is crucial. It makes or breaks the company.
  • Client, user, customer is always "right". Old school wisdom.

*expect when an evangelist is actually confirming the company policy

At first I was talking everyone into using Evernote, so in an effect I was Evangelist as well. And if I did not know about the company policy and just use the program I would still recommend it and often I still do. But knowing the "company policy" for which I do not feel is right, when I evangelize I worn people of that because I feel it will cost the company in the long run and I do not officially want to be associated with such treatment of it's users. Evernote is an organization that consists of more than one user. So some employees here are obviously instructed not to provide all the information. Unfortunately you are always likely to find a proverbial bottleneck at the top.

What Evernote is doing is nothing new. You can see it in almost every supermarket you go or fast food franchises. People on the top make a policy that is not user/customer oriented. And they put low paying workers with no decision making powers in direct contact with the customer - on the front desk. So when you the customer have a complain you can't get to the people on the top, you are stuck at front desk. And the person on the front desk has been prohibited from helping the customer, so often you hear. "Sorry Sir or madam. It's our company policy not to give that information away. Would you like some french fries with that? " Guess what the customer will do. First they will tell their friends about their pain point and second the will go to their first competitors if there is one. Long story short, it's short term gains traded for long term longevity of the company. And if you study business history you will see that no one is to big to fail and no one is to small to succeed. After all Evernote was once small. :)

Just my 2 cents.

• Level 5*

Here's a suggestion: 

Thanks. 

If you have multiple notes open in other windows, it is hard to tell what note you are in when you click around unless you scroll back to the top. The title in the taskbar doesn't help much as it is often just a few characters, and many of my notes start with the date, so seeing 201307... in 3 note windows doesn't help identify it. By clicking on it or ALT-TAB to scroll through open notes, I can quickly get to the one I want in EN 4. I often use ALT-tab to get to the note I want without using the mouse. EN5 doesn't really allow that since the note title is no longer visible.

Additionally, the way the note title is now sort of part of the note breaks two things:

• It is enough of the note that it scrolls out of view (bad)
  • It is not enough of the note that you can scroll up to it with the keyboard and edit it. (bad)

So it fixes nothing from what I can see, and makes it confusing and a pain to edit when visually, there appears to be no reason you cannot use the up-arrow to get to it.

Not sure what you mean by clicking the "i" to bring up the note title or other meta data. WHen I type "i" i just get an "i" in my note now, and I have 3 notes open and none of them have an "i" on the toolbar, and even if they did, being a keyboard jockey, I don't want to grab the mouse just to see what the note title is.

I guess my question to you is, why is the folder location of the note, the tags, and the dates still in the note header, always visible, but not the title? Why not put all of that in the note so it all scrolls out of view? (not suggesting you do that, please don't) The note title is at least as, if not more than, important as the other data and should be there all of the time.

• Level 5*

If you have multiple notes open in other windows, it is hard to tell what note you are in when you click around unless you scroll back to the top. The title in the taskbar doesn't help much as it is often just a few characters, and many of my notes start with the date, so seeing 201307... in 3 note windows doesn't help identify it.

To clarify why I have the dates in the note subject, it usually refers to an event. So I might have 10 notes that are "20130715 Sales Meeting" with other text after that for the note subject (price list, new products, followup info, etc.) that refer to the July 15 sales meeting, but the notes may be added days or weeks after the meeting as info comes in. So the note dates EN creates are when I edit it, but by sorting or searching, I can quickly find all of my July 15 sales meeting notes. So I cannot change putting dates as my note subject. I'd say 10%-15% of my business notes are like this, and probably less than 5% of my personal notes.

• Level 5*

I have no doubt you have a dedicated and quality team working on the Windows client, but do you have a team in EN that is required to use EN for Windows? So many times I get support and the person's response is "well, I work on a Mac, so let me see what I can find out..." or similar.

I get the impression that almost 100% of the non-development work is on a Mac, which means these issues we see on the Windows side don't come up. Developers make horrible use case testers because they don't use the app. That is almost as bad as how end users make horrible developers. Almost.

The note titles disappearing as you scroll, the tiny scroll bars, and the commingling of hundreds of personal and business tags makes it see, to me that there isn't enough use-case testing by real world users within the organization. I could be 100% wrong, but that is what it looks like from where I am sitting.

Another bug:

I can't edit the title of Skitch notes with Evernote 5. Even Skitch for Windows does not allow this. In the end I had to use the Evernote Android app to edit the title. :mellow:

edit:

And another bug:

In the dialog for adding an email from Outlook to Evernote the selected tags are invisible.

• Level 5*

One more bug; when clicking on the notebook icon in the navigation bar to the left and when all your notebooks are displayed in the main window, the horizontal scroll isn't working. It is working when clicking on tags though. At the same time I must point out that I really like this alternate view!!

EDIT: There bug is present in the tag view as well. However I manage to scroll a good bit to the right but it stops after a while.

Some observations:

General: please make Evernote look like a native app on Windows.

• PLEASE FIX THE SCREAMING MENU :P
  • The scrollbars are too thin. They are harder to click. Why don't you use native Windows controls? When I want to have thin scroll bars, I use a Windows theme with thin scroll bars and have them everywhere. Adding non-standard UI elements destroys the user experience.
  • Why do the outer parts of the app don't follow my Windows theme (even on Windows 8.1 Preview)? The "x" to close is not red but in a different color. See here: http://oi44.tinypic.com/eu3urr.jpg - it should look like on the left.

The positive: it has a cleaner layout, I like that. :)

I like every bit of v5. The new flat UI is much more unobtrusive and I love it. The search function has been finally brought to the 21st century. The related notes feature is also great. Great job. 

• Level 5*

Could you guys take a look at the scroll bars Google uses in Chrome for Gmail and the Google Apps? It is visually similar to what you are doing, but looks to be about twice as wide and I've never noticed an issue with grabbing or using it. In fact, the change was so subtle I don't know if they did it last week or in 2010. It says there is a problem when so many people notice a change to a tool used every day and it is difficult to use.

• Level 5*

@Krunoslav: so basically we disagree on the importance of full corporate transparency, down to the individual decisions/changes/plans that will or might be made in the futures of the various products that Evernote puts out. I don't think that that's as important as you do, but I respect your stance. I do think that there are plenty of successful companies who do not practice full corporate transparency. I count Evernote among them (60 million users, as you note). Some people are going to be put off by their corporate policy. I think that they've already made that calculation, and their response is "so be it". Me, I can live with that.

And now back to the bug hunting/reporting.

• Level 5*

Please stop changing the name of this thread! This is the second time it has broken in email notifications. Man this forum software is HORRIBLE. Changing the name should NOT change the URL.  :angry:

Two observations:

• Where did my scrollbars go?
  • Can you please change the UI so that it looks like a native WINDOWS app rather than something with a custom UI slapped on it? I have a Windows PC, I want my apps to look like they belong on Windows system, not OSX.

A potential Bug

• The "Show Unassigned Tags" menu option in the View menu is unresponsive. It's stuck on the checked state.
  • Level 5*
I always thought Alpha meant it was open to internal testing (those who were part of the development process) and beta included users who were not part of the development process. Anyways, we will be adding new features in upcoming betas.

DLU, with all due respect, the Evernote design/development team either does not seem to understand well-established standards, or chooses to ignore them.  EdH and Wikipedia's definition of "Alpha" and "Beta" reflect the long-standing standard/definition.  The thing that makes any app intuitive is that it uses standard UI controls and behaves like most apps (in the same class) behave, or have behaved in the past.

Innovation is great, and sometimes it makes sense to break the standards and employ a new UI, IF, and only IF, the new UI makes a really big difference.  Changing the UI just to be different, and stand out, is poor design, IMHO.

Having a common UI among the system and all Apps was the GREAT benefit of the original Mac GUI, and then later the Windows GUI.  Once the user learned how to use one app, they could quickly, and often without needing a users guide, learn how to use a new app.  Please keep this in mind. BTW, this applies to both Windows and Mac clients.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Lost all my shortcuts

Yup. Seems nothing from EN4 gets migratged to EN5 in the shortcut. Unfortunately, the EN5 shortcut system is VERY different and limited compared to what EN4 can do. With EN4, I can put a shortcut to my "Business Notebooks" up there and it generates a handy dropdown of my folders to navigate with. With EN5, you cannot. Instead you are expected to find your business notebooks peppered throughout your personal notebooks, and you may have to scroll a long way to get there depending on where you are in the left hand pane. Shortcuts that aren't available 100% of the time aren't much of a shortcut IMHO.

THat would be like browsers havig shortcuts be a part of their web page scrolling, and as you scroll down, your shortcuts vanish and to use them, you have to scroll to the top of the page again. Shortcuts should be part of the interface UI with menus and toolbars, not part of the data that moves around.

I agree, a clear separation of personal and shared notebooks / tags is a must. Please don't fix what wasn't broken. :P

At DLU's request I'll be posting a list of "why" this is critical to me in another thread I started on this issue, but I also want to add my voice here - please do NOT trash the separation of personal and business and shared notebooks and personal and business tags!

• Level 5*

At DLU's request I'll be posting a list of "why" this is critical to me in another thread I started on this issue, but I also want to add my voice here - please do NOT trash the separation of personal and business and shared notebooks and personal and business tags!

Please link to that thread here. It is a showstopper for me. I have EN5 on a PC I don't use much and if this isn't fixed, it will in the short tterm cause or organization to not move forward with EN5, and at some point, we'll move to another solution if this isn't fixed. This is untenable as currently implemented in the beta.
  • Level 5*

Search bug: I reported something like this in the alphas, and someone has reported it separately (at least I think it's the same problem):

If you have a tag in a shortcut (either just a plain tag, or one from a saved search) that exists in a personal notebook and one with the same name that's from a notebook that's shared to you, then this can lead to search failure. When you use the shortcut, both tags get copied to the search expression (so you see "[MyTag] [MyTag]" and you think that this will match any note with tag "MyTag"), but if it's an AND search (the default) it's likely to fail, because the tags are DiFfErEnT.

I think that this is a failure:

• The tags are indistinguishable to the user in the context that you will definitely see them (in the search control), so this is ripe for confusion
  • As far as I know there's no way to specify a tag from a shared notebook in the search grammar, so you cannot make a specific choice using the search grammar
  • Tag names are really their own data; in my opinion, search shouldn't care where the tags come from, just that the names match

Please link to that thread here. It is a showstopper for me. I have EN5 on a PC I don't use much and if this isn't fixed, it will in the short tterm cause or organization to not move forward with EN5, and at some point, we'll move to another solution if this isn't fixed. This is untenable as currently implemented in the beta.

I tried to stay away from the entire "I'm going to take my ball elsewhere" if you do this, but in a nutshell, we're working on a lot of content for our business account right now, but like you, if this gets done, the business account will be cancelled and we'll never look back, this is the second time we're trying to make it work in spite of it's many missing features that are critical for business users.  On the one hand I'm happy that DLU is asking me to explain why the separation is important, on the other hand it really worries me that this needs to be explained!

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39957-has-en-eliminated-destroyed-the-seperation-between-business-and-personal-notebooks/

Lost all my shortcuts

I think that would be expected, because we knew that shortcuts in EN 4 for Windows were different from shortcuts that synced with mac, ios, android, web and windows touch. So, to sync these shortcuts we would have to let that "old shortcuts" go.

But okay, they should have put a disclaimer about it.

• Level 5*

I tried to stay away from the entire "I'm going to take my ball elsewhere" if you do this, but in a nutshell, we're working on a lot of content for our business account right now, but like you, if this gets done, the business account will be cancelled and we'll never look back, this is the second time we're trying to make it work in spite of it's many missing features that are critical for business users.  On the one hand I'm happy that DLU is asking me to explain why the separation is important, on the other hand it really worries me that this needs to be explained!

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39957-has-en-eliminated-destroyed-the-seperation-between-business-and-personal-notebooks/

Thanks. I hear you. No matter what, I'll be a "premium" user for a long LONG time to come, but one of the things that really appealed to me and got us moving with EnB was the strict separation of personal and business notes. It makes it easy for people to keep personal notes out of business notebooks, where they cannot delete them, and easy to keep business out of personal notebooks, but EN5 seems determined to blur that line as much as possible and one thing our organization will not allow is for critical documents to be mistakenly placed in personal notebooks and then be out of our control, or lost if the person leaves the company.

LIke you, this is not a matter of "well, I don't like what you are doing, so I'll leave." It is a matter of company policy. I'll have no choice. I hope it is resolved.

1. GUI blinks when I use Evernote

Shortcuts doesn't sync for imported databases

Map hangs Evernote GUI then opens

While sync map doesn't open

Disabled remember password checkbox. But Evernote still doesn't ask for password

Here's a suggestion: 

Thanks. 

I don't know why the title can't be shown at all times on such a big-screened platform as Windows. The hiding of the title when you scroll makes more sense on the mobile platforms but it even annoys me there. 

The title of the note is a pretty important descriptor for a lot of people and having the only means of seeing it without taking your hands off the keyboard being to arrow all the way to the top is annoying!... wait, scratch that, even arrowing all the way to the top or ctrl-home won't show the title.

So, the only way to see a title is to use the scroll wheel or to go click on the info button. 

Please, please, please, keep the title visible at all times. There's no logical reason that I can think of to hide it! I'm open to hearing the reasoning behind that decision but I don't like it as it stands now.

Another minor issue, again with the title bar and keyboard-centric use cases. In previous versions, if you were in the title bar and hit tab, it would logically take you to the body of the note.

Now, in v5, it takes you over to the notebooks/tags section. I can assume that this is just an oversight in how the field ordering works but please keep in mind that a lot of power users don't want to have to hit the mouse to do everything!

Thanks!

Archived