FEATURE REQUEST: Better Table Formatting

Brian Crockett

Idea

I make a lot of my notes in a tabular format to keep them organized.

Typically I have an item number, a couple of check boxes, a description, and maybe a image.

As of Evernote version 5.2.0 the things you can do with tables are still very rudimentary. I can't set column width, border style, or even vertical cell alignment .

To get these tables to show as I want them I have to edit the HTML source in a text editor. 

Can we expect to see additional table commands in the near future?

29 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, tanschadha said:

Why cant there be more table formatting options (like add a row or column) on Evernote web!? ?

This is the forum is for making feature requests for the Evernote Windows client. This is something that you should ask in the Evernote Web Client's Feature Requests forum (https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/234-evernote-web-client/), after first checking there to see whether the topic of table formatting has not been broached yet. 

It sounds like there is already a lot of support for better table formatting options in Evernote. One enhancement I would love to see is the ability to select a piece of content and automatically insert that content into a table. (I.e. how this works in MS Word). Tables are one of the best ways to keep organised, especially if you are trying to answer long sets of questions from clients etc. and being able to grab a long list of questions and quickly turn this into a table for thoughts/drafting responses would be really helpful. At the moment in EN it requires too much dragging and dropping to be usable. Thanks. 

To be fair, since my original post they've added a lot more capability regarding tables and I'm grateful. Still, they have a ways to go with this. It's buggy and doesn't have a complete feature set. I still can't select a column, set header rows, merge cells and lot's of other stuff that is rudimentary in other editors.  But each feature they add makes it less necessary for me to waste time editing the HTML.

What surprises me is that it's even gotten worse - in evernote 6.0.13 I can't even copy/paste a table from one note to another without it falling apart completely. Every cell is detached and spread over the entire with of the window. How is this even possible?

It's just amazing that Evernote still hasn't built table editing into their apps/web page.  This is core functionality for note taking!    At least give us the ability to drag/drop column size.  That alone would make me happy.   I keep toying with OneNote, but I really don't want to switch.

Sets sights, aims...Metrodon seeking stapler missile away!

Lots of new table editing features in the current mac beta (as well as a new editor) which I'm sure will be coming to you poor Windows souls soon.

(or you could just get a decent computer)

(runs for the hills)

• Level 5*

Lots of new table editing features in the current mac beta (as well as a new editor) which I'm sure will be coming to you poor Windows souls soon.

(or you could just get a decent computer)

(runs for the hills)

I agree with the others. The value of all the spiffy annotation and presentation capabilities of Evernote is notably diminished without some basic abilities to edit existing tables. 

Okay here's another work around. Instead of editing the HTML every time I need a table, I created a template note with some commonly used table styles and put that note in the shortcuts.  So when I need a table I copy and paste the tables I need from the template.  Thankfully, Evernote finally added the ability to add and remove rows/columns and the rows/columns retain the custom style when added.

I like this idea for now. Thanks for this, Mr. Crockett.

But Evernote developers... please enable better table editing. This should be a basic feature. Thank you.

Okay here's another work around. Instead of editing the HTML every time I need a table, I created a template note with some commonly used table styles and put that note in the shortcuts.  So when I need a table I copy and paste the tables I need from the template.  Thankfully, Evernote finally added the ability to add and remove rows/columns and the rows/columns retain the custom style when added.

i have an easy fix for the poorly designed table feature in evernote. Since it is practically useless, just DELETE it or fix it.

NO!!! Don't delete it. It's better than nothing.  It gives a place to start that I can then edit the HTML to give me what I want.

• Level 5

Actually the GreaseMonkey approach has proved fruitful for me: But it IS very RYO. :-(   It's a real shame I can't share my (admittedly prototypical) efforts with GreaseMonkey. And it only works on Firefox against the Evernote Web Note Editor page.

• Level 5*

It's been since July and there hasn't been much progress here. I'll settle for just being able to adjust the column width and turn off the borders so they're invisible.

Right now I open the HTML file in Textmate, search for my table in what maybe a very long note and edit the table properties there.  It's a long, tedious process and very easy to ***** up so that Evernote wont read the file again. I tried a few free HTML editors but most of them insert <BR> or other tags that Evernote doesn't like.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good free/cheap HTML editor?

Perhaps even a little better than an HTML editor is the third-party web app ENMLEdit: http://enml-editor.ping13.net/. It allows you to edit an Evernote note's markup directly. If you pair that with the Evernote markup language document (http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), you should be able to be able to modify your tables to your liking, albeit not as conveniently as if you could do it directly in Evernote.

It's been since July and there hasn't been much progress here. I'll settle for just being able to adjust the column width and turn off the borders so they're invisible.

Right now I open the HTML file in Textmate, search for my table in what maybe a very long note and edit the table properties there.  It's a long, tedious process and very easy to ***** up so that Evernote wont read the file again. I tried a few free HTML editors but most of them insert <BR> or other tags that Evernote doesn't like.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good free/cheap HTML editor?

• Level 5*

Can we expect to see additional table commands in the near future?

While better table formatting would be welcome, it's Evernote's policy not to make commitments to feature roadmaps in general.

Archived