(Archived) Evernote for Android 5.2: new widget and document editing

Xavier_

Hi All, 

We released today our latest update for Evernote Android. 

We have some pretty neat new features including: 

- Edit and save back document in Evernote. We have a partnership with OfficeSuite so premium users can use it for free from Evernote. 

- New widget with a scrollable list and a quick reminder action 

- Reminder improvements with the ability to reorder by drag and drop

Here is the blog post to get more details

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/07/17/evernote-for-android-edit-attached-documents-with-officesuite-mark-up-pdfs-with-skitch-and-much-more/

Please let us know here your feedback and any problem you may experience. 

Thanks,

Xavier

Documents editing and saving is flawless. Thanks. However, widget is only scalable to 4x grids, on larger devices like Galaxy Note, the widget doesn't stretch horizontally to fill up the screen (5x size). Widget functionality is fine.

Bonjour Xavier :-)

Nice update, thx to you and the team. Same comment than @indrex: horizontal strech of the widget would be great (Galaxy Tab2 10.1).

Hoping to get the Windows Update incl. Reminders to use the Evernote power ;-)

Hi,

Great update indeed!

Still I don't get why the annotated .pdf files are saved as a separated Skitch note instead of replacing the original file.

Thx

I like the old evernote "large widget" much more then the new list widget, because I can see more text on same space. Is the "large widget" going to be discontinued now? Why is that necessary? Could you please remove the shouting icon on the left side of the large widget and let the users to use the widget that suits them best?

Thank you!

Yay, lock screen widget! So excited! It works ALMOST perfect. I'm having some trouble with the quick reminder, though.

If I:

• Click on the Reminder icon
  • Type in the reminder
  • Click "OK"

It works fine. I can change the date after the reminder has been created while still in the lock screen widget.

If I:

• Type in the reminder
  • Change the date/time of the reminder
  • Click "OK"

The reminder disappears forever as if it was never created.

I'm using a Nexus 4 running Android 4.2.2. 

Yay, lock screen widget! So excited! It works ALMOST perfect. I'm having some trouble with the quick reminder, though.

If I:

• Type in the reminder
  • Click "OK"

It works fine. I can change the date after the reminder has been created while still in the lock screen widget.

If I:

• Type in the reminder
  • Change the date/time of the reminder
  • Click "OK"

The reminder disappears forever as if it was never created.

I'm using a Nexus 4 running Android 4.2.2. 

I am having the same issue as well as others I see on G+

I like that when you annotate a pdf file that it creates a new note. That way I have a copy of each. I don't want to annotate and then wish I had the original back.

The problem is that when annotating a photo you had a Choice to either replace the original or to save it someplace else. And that's the beauty of choice it can satisfy different people with different needs. Not to mention that there has to be some consistency in Skitch, right?

Thanks all for the feedback! We all appreciate that. 

We are fixing the issues on the widget and preparing an update for next week. 

About the PDF not being updated inline, that's a design decision mainly due to a current technical constraint. We want to improve this soon. 

Possible bug: There are 2 ways to open the reminder's date selection dialog:

1. By clicking on the reminder's date in the listview widget.

2. By opening the note, clicking on the reminder button at the bottom and selecting "Change Date..."

The two options lead to the same dialog, but the dialog behaves differently:

In option 1, selecting "remove" completely removes the reminder from the note.

In option 2, selecting "remove" just clears the reminder's date from the note, leaving it with a "no date" reminder.

Personally, I hope that option 2 is the wanted behavior.

I have an issue with the list view widget:
I configured a complex saved search which is working properly on my pc, but on my tablet it shows "no notes found". 
Actually it works for a while and then without any action taken it shows the "no notes found" message.
To get it working again, I have to configure the widget again (toggle to another saved search and back)

The list widget is great on my Galaxy S3 phone and it is lovely to have all my reminders there, but on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 the widget fails every time I restart. Sometimes it comes back after a few minutes, sometimes not. It looks like i will have to give up on the widget on the tablet altogether which is a great shame. Is this because the tablet is only running Android 4.04 ?

I am having some issues with the new widget. It is displaying deleted notes, rather than just existing notes. Clicking on the "deleted" note results in an error: "Note not found". Opening the app shows that these deleted notes are in fact deleted, but they still clutter my widget list. Even emptying the trashcan on my computer and syncing it to the phone does not seem to remove these deleted notes from the list. Reinstalling the widget does not help either.

I am using an Android smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S3.

I think I need to detail on this as the recent update doesn't address it.

Documents editing and saving is flawless. Thanks. However, widget is only scalable to 4x grids, on larger devices like Galaxy Note, the widget doesn't stretch horizontally to fill up the screen (5x size). Widget functionality is fine.

Widgets don't stretch horizontally (to 5 column size)

Compared to Gmail widget which stretches both vertically and horizontally.

25%20July%202013%20125244%20GMT%2B0530.p

25%20July%202013%20125409%20GMT%2B0530.p

@Xavier Thanks a lot for the list widget! One thing that could be useful is missing, however: I can choose between last viewed, last updated, my reminders, by notebook, tag or saved search. Wouldn't it be great to have the cross-device-synced "Shortcuts" as choice?

Cheers!

A.

Ditto to what everyone else said; great work on the new Widget.  The List View widget is the perfect thing for the Android.

I'm having an issue with it; however.  I used the Saved Searches option primarily.  Yet, the List View seems to "loose that setting," instead choosing to revert back to All Notes (I'm guessing; it just gets a ton).  I have to change away from my Saved Search and back to get back to my short / focused list.  Hoping you guys can fix that.  That would make the List View the cat's meow.   :)

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here and say that while the new list widget is fine and acts as it should, the fact that it cannot scale sideways is a bit of an annoyance.  The last widget was 4x2 and I've been using Evernote long enough that my android page was laid out using that 4x2 layout.  To suddenly find the new tablet widget is only 3x2 was an unpleasant surprise.  I understand wanting to allow users with less available space to still use the widget but for those of us who have grown accustomed to the 4x2 size the new, unadjustable horizontal size is... unpleasant.

NOW.  That being said, let's end on a positive note.  I LOVE Evernote.  I use it for Work, Grad School, and Personal notes and I have it installed on my Android Tablet (ASUS Transformer Prime TF201), my cellphone (Sprint EVO 4G LTE), and my work PC Laptop.

Hi!

After updating to 5.2.2 my notes get one of the following titles (my translations) :

- unnamed note

- note @ myplace

In previous versions, the beginning of the note text was used as title. Surely this is how it's supposed to be?

I hope it can be fixed quickly!

Cheers,

Lars

Stockholm

Many things I have to act on are mailed in or pasted in from emails, text messages, contact data or the web. Right now I often have to follow up a Widget generated reminder by going into the app and adding this additional data. 

An enabled widget reminder capability that would streamline this work flow immensely would be to click the reminder button on the widget and after the title, be able to paste text from emails, texts, contacts, or Web into the reminder (ie: the actual body of the reminder, if there is one), right there before sending it. 

Yes, you can just email or share those items into Evernote then add a reminder to them BUT...

1. That's many extra steps (assuming U remember;-)  and, 

2. They then are not included on my ever-so-handy Widget List. 

Please include the ability to add text into a Widget reminder Note before sending it. 

xdelplanque Thanks for the fix for datesetting for reminders. One suggestion/request:  It would be nice to see the days of the week when setting a date. Now you can see them only for the first week. To set a date in the further future, you will have to check your callendar to see witch day a certain date is.

The Skitch button on the widget is very buggy on my Nexus 7.

It takes me to the Skitch editor and there is no way to take a picture.

There is Save, Share, and menu at top, and the editing tools at the bottom.

Also, the back button doesn't work, and the home button is the only way to get out.

I'm looking for a way to place a shortcut on the home screen that takes me straight

to the Skitch camera, then I can edit it without going through multiple steps.

Thanks, Joe

• 5 weeks later...

Ditto to what everyone else said; great work on the new Widget.  The List View widget is the perfect thing for the Android.

I'm having an issue with it; however.  I used the Saved Searches option primarily.  Yet, the List View seems to "loose that setting," instead choosing to revert back to All Notes (I'm guessing; it just gets a ton).  I have to change away from my Saved Search and back to get back to my short / focused list.  Hoping you guys can fix that.  That would make the List View the cat's meow.   :)

I wanted to bump this and see if @Browncoat had any input.

• I had the List View Widget set to Tag / !Today (one of my tags) that only had, correctly one note.
  • I changed it to Saved Search / @Now (one of my saved searches) that should only have 8 notes - and it's displaying like 100's.

Like I said above, if the List View can correctly / accurately display Saved Searches, this will be way cool!

Thanks,

• Level 5*

• I had the List View Widget set to Tag / !Today (one of my tags) that only had, correctly one note.
  • I changed it to Saved Search / @Now (one of my saved searches) that should only have 8 notes - and it's displaying like 100's.
Like I said above, if the List View can correctly / accurately display Saved Searches, this will be way cool!

Thanks,

If you're talking about xdelplanque ("Browncoat" is just a forum-assigned title), this is apparently on the way: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41604-evernote-for-android-v53-available-on-google-play/?p=226936.

This topic should probably be closed; 5.3 has been out for over a week, and there's a separate topic for it...

Thanks,

If you're talking about xdelplanque ("Browncoat" is just a forum-assigned title), this is apparently on the way: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41604-evernote-for-android-v53-available-on-google-play/?p=226936.

This topic should probably be closed; 5.3 has been out for over a week, and there's a separate topic for it...

Thanks for correcting me.  I was talking about xdelplanque.  "Haste makes waste."  Sorry about that and glad to see it's on the radar scope.  Very cool.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived