error message: "Please check your internet connection or try again later"

Go to solution Solved by Adjusting,

Relatively new to Evernote Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 , Evernote 5.2.0

I am looking to buy Awesome Note app for iphone, which syncs with Evernote, and came today to look again at Evernote.

Launched on my Mac desktop today and every 10 seconds I get error message:   "Please check your internet connection or try again later"

I don't know what to do to fix this.

I can't find this topic answered here on the forum

Thanks, Etana

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue and the signing out of "null" corrected the internet connection issue but now it says there is synchronization failure. I imagine that in addition to the brilliant suggestion by Johnny, their servers must be down.  Will wait patiently.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, something seems to be wrong.  I updated to the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion and the latest version of Evernote desktop (Version 5.2.1 (401587)) and when I try to login to the desktop client I get the error: Please check your internet connection or try again later.  I can login via the web client on Safari just fine.  I've even reset my password but the desktop client still fails with the same error above.

Yeah, something seems to be wrong.  I updated to the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion and the latest version of Evernote desktop (Version 5.2.1 (401587)) and when I try to login to the desktop client I get the error: Please check your internet connection or try again later.  I can login via the web client on Safari just fine.  I've even reset my password but the desktop client still fails with the same error above.

Now it's working again after letting it sit for a while - must be a backend server issue.  

• Like 1

I'm having this problem too but am stuck at a different point because I followed another post to remove everything and reinstall Evernote from Mac App Store.  I have Evernote 5.2.1 for Mac installed and I'm running OS X 10.8.4.  On initial sign in screen I get this message whether I use my email address or username.  Since it's a reinstall, I can't move on and can't see the <null> account option mentioned earlier in this thread.  I can login to website without an issue.  I'm a premium user and so have dual factor security and these problems all see associated with that security.  I had the same before so turned it off and all was well.  I want the securing on, though.  

September 17, 2013; 10:57 PM Update:

I sorted it out as follows:

1. Logged in to the website

2. Turned off dual factor authentication

3. Logged in with email address (not user name)

4. Waited for data to replicate

5. Logged out of both local and website

6. Went to website and turned dual factor back on 

7. Logged back in to local software and website successfully

So far so good. 

I just created my user profile on this site specifically so I could post a THANK YOU to Johnny! I had the same upgrade/error-message issue as everyone else.

What an absolutely infuriating bug to experience; so happy there was a quick and easy fix. 

• Like 1

You are all very welcome :) I have never helped so many random people before. It feels overwhelmingly overwhelming. I don't think I can handle it much longer. This must be how batman feels.

I haven't received the job offer from EverNote yet, but I assume it must be because they are currently putting together a ridiculously huge sign on bonus deal, in addition to an unjustifiably high salary that I cannot refuse. These things take time.

• Like 2

I'm having this problem too but am stuck at a different point because I followed another post to remove everything and reinstall Evernote from Mac App Store.  I have Evernote 5.2.1 for Mac installed and I'm running OS X 10.8.4.  On initial sign in screen I get this message whether I use my email address or username.  Since it's a reinstall, I can't move on and can't see the <null> account option mentioned earlier in this thread.  I can login to website without an issue.  

I'm having the same problem as varic, but I don't have dual factor authentication set up.  I set it up to see if it would fix the problem, but it still appears as though Evernote won't connect to the internet.  The strange part is that it's working from my desktop (an '11 iMac) but it's not working from my laptop (a late 2010 MacBook Air).  Also, I can use evernote online.  It's very frustrating that the laptop version won't let me do anything!  It used to work, but has not since the update.

Update:  The application will allow me to connect to the internet to reset my password, it just won't let me log in.

• 1 month later...

I believe this problem may have something to do with a hardware/device check on the device you are using -- in this case, a Mac with a device UUID. I was getting this exact error. Since I was using two factor auth on Mac OS X 10.9 (on a Retina 15) I thought I would turn off two factor auth. No go. Since I could log in with other computers running 10.8.x and devices, I figured it was device specific. I deleted the app and reinstalled. I killed the data in ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/*. I used AppCleaner to make sure all was gone. No solution.

So I turned on the log and watched as I attempted to log in with my known good email and password. 

Here is what turned up:

2013-11-04 20:14:44 main [ENVideoLoginWindowController] INFO: Making login panel key and front.
2013-11-04 20:14:46  [ENAuthenticator] INFO: Authenticating email_account@gmail.com/Evernote to www.evernote.com
2013-11-04 20:14:46  [ENAuthenticator] DEBUG: -[ENAuthenticator doAuthentication] authentication error. hardwareUUID:
3********************************************3
computerName:

2013-11-04 20:27:02  [ENAuthenticator] INFO: EDAMUserException(errorCode:2,parameter:"deviceDescription")
2013-11-04 20:27:02  [ENAuthenticator] INFO: Unknown EDAMUserException.

[Timestamps are off because I copied a previous failure... ugh]

And then it gave the dreaded error noted in the title.

So I went into System Preferences and renamed my laptop (because my device -- in this case a MBPR15) had a null value (a space) for Machine name (this was on purpose). So I gave it a new non null name, and the app immediately logged me in and requested a sync of my notes, which finished properly.

There is a device auth going on and it definitely doesn't like a no name value.
I'll turn two factor auth and report back if I encounter this again or other.
Hope this helps people out.
  • Like 1

This is an issue that should be fixed in more recent versions of Evernote on Mac.

I downloaded EN today (5.4.3 (402231)) and it isn't.  I was upgrading from 2.3.0 (160287) (which doesn't let users know that they need upgrades, otherwise I would have upgraded sooner).  Once I logged out from that null account and logged back in with my own account, the notification stopped popping up.  Clearly missing a few null checks.

JohnnyJohnster, you're still a hero and you deserve a pony!

• Like 1

Thanks Johnny! 

@Evernote should be truly ashamed here.  The issue was reported in July and clearly happens after an upgrade to the latest system.  Yet, here we are in November, and the latest version of the software still has this total showstopper of a bug.  Seriously, does anybody at @Evernote still care about its users?!?  

Adding one more to the "thank you" pile. I had this same problem, and signing out (null) and logging back in seems to have fixed it. Weird bug from upgrading versions, I guess. Couldn't tell you what my older version was but I hadn't used the desktop app in months.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Thanks for this discussion! After 15 days of unresolved troubleshooting with Evernote support, my boyfriend finally located a problem in the log after referring to this conversation. I had gone thru many efforts to resolve this problem from re-installing, creating test accounts, checking start up items… more. I had the same error that I was not connected to the internet. I was able to resolve the problem by adding a computer name. It seems like this version of Evernote fails on NULL computer name values. My problem occurred after running an Evernote update, where I hadn't had this problem before. I'm restating it here just for reference to anyone else interested. I've included some FAKE data in my log to not expose personal info. I hope this helps someone in the future. 

THE PROBLEM:  
From Mac OSX desktop Evernote 5.5 you cannot authenticate to that app and you get the error "Please check your internet connection and try again". I did have connectivity, my authentication was correct (could log in via browser and iOS devices).

EXAMPLE of PROBLEM in Evernote.log
"2014-02-11 08:46:42  [ENAuthenticator] INFO: Authenticating yourname@emailprovider.com/Evernote to www.evernote.com
2014-02-11 08:46:42  [ENAuthenticator] DEBUG: -[ENAuthenticator doAuthentication] authentication error. hardwareUUID:
73749B0CA2EB9821911F3FBBEB1D78E1
computerName:

2014-02-11 08:46:42  [ENAuthenticator] INFO: EDAMUserException(errorCode:2,parameter:"deviceDescription")
2014-02-11 08:46:42  [ENAuthenticator] INFO: Unknown EDAMUserException."

THE FIX:
Go to System Preferences 
Sharing
Populate the Computer Name (mine was blank)

After populating a computer name Evernote finally worked!
  • Like 1

Yea, Evernote did not like the null value for the computer name. Not sure if this is fixed in recent versions, or if it will be fixed. I would assume EN is using the value to populate a default value for the device you are syncing... I would prefer it asks, even if a null value is found.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Yea, Evernote did not like the null value for the computer name. Not sure if this is fixed in recent versions, or if it will be fixed. I would assume EN is using the value to populate a default value for the device you are syncing... I would prefer it asks, even if a null value is found.

This should be fixed in the 5.5.1 Beta:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/54610-evernote-for-mac-551-beta/

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh doh the screenshot didn't post on this thread.  It's not my day! It keeps crashing when I try to open Evernote.  Any thoughts? (not sure how to explain the problem it's all gobbledigook to me.  The exception type is: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT).  Does that mean anything to anyone?

Oh doh the screenshot didn't post on this thread. It's not my day! It keeps crashing when I try to open Evernote. Any thoughts? (not sure how to explain the problem it's all gobbledigook to me. The exception type is: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT). Does that mean anything to anyone?

You might want to open up a new thread on this since it's more of a complex issue (judging by other discussions on the same crash issues elsewhere on the web). Include a crash log too if you can. Hope someone can help!

• 5 weeks later...

Johny's solution stopped the error message popping up, but after I Signed Out (null) I got synch error message..

Not sure what this means because the notes look fine to me (I'm not using too many) but perhaps now they won't be synching if I'm working in Evernote from different devices?... I hope this isn't the case!

OMG I'M A GENIUS! Or perhaps I'm a hero, not sure which word best describes my incredible awesomeness. Either way, I'll be expecting a job offer from evernote sometime soon because of this.

May your wildest dreams come true.

JJ -- your impact on the universe lives on! 

See my post:  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/54416-message-comes-up-saying-check-internet-connection-or-try-again-later/?p=273582

I had the same issue and the signing out of "null" corrected the internet connection issue but now it says there is synchronization failure. I imagine that in addition to the brilliant suggestion by Johnny, their servers must be down.  Will wait patiently.

Man you fixed it for me too....YEEE HAAAA !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I bought a new computer and I have been trying to use my evernote on the new one.  It has been quite a while since I used Evernote but now I cant get into my old notes. If I click on open, I get this error message that reads...I need to online to register or perform an inital sync. Check your internet connection".  I am not a "techy"  I am very basic. I just want to use for taxes and letters. Im wanting to scan in the word format.  Also when I scan and if I try to put  it into document file program, (which converts it to PDF only) it doent read it clearly and I get symbols instead of numbers or words Im using windows 10 before I think it was windows 7

• 1 year later...

Couldn't login on my Mac with my email then I used Login with Google feature and this problem happened

image.png.dc55ac1fb5fc3ebaa3be62055e2d87e0.png

I still can use the app normally on my phone and via internet browser but not the app on Mac.

I've got this one for a few weeks already. Used the web version as alternative not not very convenient. I want the app on Mac to get back to work normally as before. Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

P.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:07 PM, Phong Ng. said:

Couldn't login on my Mac with my email then I used Login with Google feature and this problem happened

image.png.dc55ac1fb5fc3ebaa3be62055e2d87e0.png

I still can use the app normally on my phone and via internet browser but not the app on Mac.

I've got this one for a few weeks already. Used the web version as alternative not not very convenient. I want the app on Mac to get back to work normally as before. Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

P.

I found the same issue and can not fix until now. I can login on my phone but not on my Mac.

• 2 weeks later...