Evernote reminders - change the time from 8am

jmcdhome

Idea

Is there a way to change the time on a Reminder? If you start work before 8, it may be too late by the time the reminder pops up. And if you start later (I start at 11 am some days) then it comes way to early. On those days, I'm not even out of bed yet at 8.

23 replies to this idea

The trouble is, what works for one person inevitiably won't work for another. 8AM is a perfectly fine default for me. Often for "all day" things like "submit this form on this day", 8am does not need to be changed.

If it were, say, 12pm, the number of times I'd have to change away from the default would go up (I change from default about 75% of the time anyway). I suppose it isn't a big deal since I can easily change the time so I wouldn't get too worked up about a different default...

But my main point is that a default is fairly arbitrary and will invariably not work for some people. If they change the default, a whole new set of people will get miffed and request the default get changed again. And so on. 

That's why there should be a preference to set YOUR OWN default time not one chosen by Evernote. 

Ideally, the user should be able to set a default time as a specific time or as the current time.  But it's not just the default time on a newly created reminder that's the problem.  It used to be that if all you did was change a date on a reminder the time would not change.  Now if I want to push a reminder forward to a future date at the same time I have to change both the date and the time.  It sounds like such a small thing, but it does get to be pretty annoying.

to be honest, if I really need a reminder at a specific time I use iOS Reminders.

The 8am feature is (for me) nice, because I receive an email with all due notes for today - that's fine. I realized Evernote is not a reminder app...

But, of course, there are different persons with different approaches/needs :-)

+1

This thread is now 2 1/2 years old.

There was a response from someone at Evernote to the initial message, it totally missed the point of the question and answered a different one, but I suspect that that marked this thread as having been "through QA" so nobody's looking at it any more.

Bump!

[snip]

(being hard or easy is irrelevant). It is quite possible this has been put on their list but is a low priority (below, you know, things like sync integrity and major bugs!). Time will tell. 

[snip]

The solution (create a user setting where they can specify their prefered default reminder time) is easy to implement.  Since it has been over a year since this request was made, I think the fact that it is easy becomes very relevant.  Also the fact that they have NOT, so far, fixed the major bugs like sync integrity, adds to the relevance IMO.

Every dev team worth anything will occasionally declare war on low hanging fruit - bugs that may not be critical, but are easy to fix. A sucessful low hanging fruit campaign can be a tremendous morale boost for everyone, inside and outside the company.

C'mon Evernote, get in gear!

I wonder if Evernote employees are reading this forum? It looks like an easy option to add to a "Reminders" section to the Preferences, yet no one made it.

Clearly Evernote employees do read this forum. In fact, an everyone employee has participated in this exact thread, See the quote below (and the actual post above). 

Only Evernote can say whether they intend to add this feature or not (being hard or easy is irrelevant). It is quite possible this has been put on their list but is a low priority (below, you know, things like sync integrity and major bugs!). Time will tell. 

Is there a way to change the time on a Reminder? If you start work before 8, it may be too late by the time the reminder pops up. And if you start later (I start at 11 am some days) then it comes way to early. On those days, I'm not even out of bed yet at 8.

Sure. Let's say you want to set it to 6:49PM:

1. When you're setting the date, click on the 8 from 8:00AM

2. Type 6

3. Hit the Tab key

4. Type 49

5. Hit the tab key

6. Type P

7. Dismiss the date setter

The trouble is, what works for one person inevitiably won't work for another. 8AM is a perfectly fine default for me. Often for "all day" things like "submit this form on this day", 8am does not need to be changed.

If it were, say, 12pm, the number of times I'd have to change away from the default would go up (I change from default about 75% of the time anyway). I suppose it isn't a big deal since I can easily change the time so I wouldn't get too worked up about a different default...

But my main point is that a default is fairly arbitrary and will invariably not work for some people. If they change the default, a whole new set of people will get miffed and request the default get changed again. And so on. 

That's why there should be a preference to set YOUR OWN default time not one chosen by Evernote. 

Good point. 

Is there a way to change that 8AM time in a default way?… I mean, JMCD's question is relevant. I NEVER want reminders at 8AM and ALWAYS need them at, say 11:18… And manually changing it every time seams too painful on the desktop app, and simply impossible at the iOS app (for which you can adjust the time at desecrate portions of 15 minutes…) This just does not seam something like Evernote app, Queen of efficiency… Why isn't there simply a field on the Evernote preferences to define a default time for new reminders?

Thank you

• Level 5

Sure. Let's say you want to set it to 6:49PM:

1. When you're setting the date, click on the 8 from 8:00AM

2. Type 6

3. Hit the Tab key

4. Type 49

5. Hit the tab key

6. Type P

7. Dismiss the date setter

Archived