Due Date vs Reminder

Blanco-Landau

Idea

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote is still promising features. They haven't stopped doing that.

They promised to have Business by December last year. They promised to have 2fa by March. The Windows update is promised to be more than two weeks (said a week ago?) and less than two years away :)

I enthusiastically agree that a due date field would be very helpful. 

if the due date field were like the created date field (editable by looking up the info for the note, it would be even more helpful if:

1.  the due date could be modifed by clicking on a "cell" in the reminder note view

2.  we could sort by due dates in the reminder note view.

I have to agree with BurgersNFries here.  Evernote the platform can support task managers, but Evernote the note-taking client should primarily be used for basic note-taking. This is a rough analogy, but forcing the client to act like a true task manager is like using a screwdriver to ram a nail into wood – you should really be using a hammer instead.

Here's a thread with tons of options: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49031-evernote-and-task-manager-integration/

Evernote is not trying to be a task manager. You should use a true task manager to manage tasks.

Is that a rule somewhere?  He wants to use it as a task manager, and many other people already do, hence his desire for one feature which would help in that manner.

• Level 5

I'm disappointed because I really like EN, but I cannot use it as a task manager. 

I hear you. The Due Date field would have been a great assist for task management, but that is not to be.

I use a work-around method by altering the Created Date and using it as the Due Date.

At the Leweb 2012 conference in December, Evernote's CEO Phil Libin tried to laugh off this concept by saying "Notes from the future, they are kind of creepy."

It might be creepy but it has been working nicely for me.

I'm disappointed because I really like EN, but I cannot use it as a task manager.  There is no way for me to know what is due today, tomorrow, etc.  It just doesn't work without using a third party app - and all of them simply sync to EN, and you have to manage your tasks from them rather than EN.  I like EN, but without this critical functionality I use it less - or not at all.  

And before I hear anything else about reminders - it's not the same, and it doesn't work like due dates do.  It's a feature with very limited actual usage.  Besides, only Notes get reminders - not items within notes.  

No points, EN.

Evernote is not trying to be a task manager. You should use a true task manager to manage tasks.

• Level 5
For our forum newbies here, we (Evernote employees) do read every post. We can't always respond, but we love hearing our users' feedback. 

An additional point for forum newbies: if you believe Evernote staff actually do read each and every post, don't expect them to respond to the posts containing errors. I have seen users post incorrect instructions and solutions (including a backup procedure from me) that are not addressed.

I'm disappointed because I really like EN, but I cannot use it as a task manager.  There is no way for me to know what is due today, tomorrow, etc.  It just doesn't work without using a third party app - and all of them simply sync to EN, and you have to manage your tasks from them rather than EN.  I like EN, but without this critical functionality I use it less - or not at all.  

And before I hear anything else about reminders - it's not the same, and it doesn't work like due dates do.  It's a feature with very limited actual usage.  Besides, only Notes get reminders - not items within notes.  

No points, EN.  

• Level 5

Very cool that Yammer does that!

Sorry it took a few days to get back to this thread. For our forum newbies here, we (Evernote employees) do read every post. We can't always respond, but we love hearing our users' feedback. 

At an API level, our field used to be called dueDate but we changed it to reminderTime. The idea has always been to provide a way for Evernote users to get some sort of notification that a note has become due. We just decided to go with the term "reminder" over "due date." Although, it is a *very* new feature and improvements are on the way :)

Evernote has undoubtedly learned from their past experiences of commenting on their plans. 
Here are just a few of their past assurances for the Due Date release.

Search Code 47ER92

The question is, did they learn the right thing?  I always get a kick out of it when a company misses dates and their solution is to stop all communication and never ever give dates or talk about anything.  It's like a project manager missing a date and the lesson they learn is to refuse to ever give dates again.  How about fixing the core issue and developing a plan, decide on who is allowed to speak about it, and sticking to it as much as possible?  Even Apple the king of secrecy still gives glimpses of what is coming when they are ready to do so.  My new favorite company is Yammer, check out this incredible interaction they have with their end users!  http://success.yammer.com/product-information/releases/

You'll notice they don't promise dates but they give insight into what is being worked on the relative stage of the development.

• Level 5

Anyway, any word from the Evernote team?

I do feel to have both options it is useful.

Evernote has undoubtedly learned from their past experiences of commenting on their plans. 
Here are just a few of their past assurances for the Due Date release.
Before I gave up, I captured many other Due Date release comments from other Evernote employees as well.

You can read comments from other users here (there are a lot of them)

Now that Evernote has committed to taking the rather convoluted road toward reminders, the simpler approach using the Due Date field is effectively dead. 

Search Code 47ER92

Yes, it would be very helpful, but...

For over 3 years, Evernote (the CEO, the CTO, and others) were promising a Due Date field, but for some unknown reason they decided to go down the considerably more complex and cumbersome road of "reminders". Some non-Windows users like the reminders, but the Due Date column would have opened so many better alternatives for some users and especially 3rd party developers.

In all seriousness, I get the distinct feeling that they just like to be unique and different, and wanted something "sexy".  A simple due date field probably would have been too boring and far too useful :).

• Level 5

Yes, it would be very helpful, but...

For over 3 years, Evernote (the CEO, the CTO, and others) were promising a Due Date field, but for some unknown reason they decided to go down the considerably more complex and cumbersome road of "reminders". Some non-Windows users like the reminders, but the Due Date column would have opened so many better alternatives for some users and especially 3rd party developers.

Archived