(Archived) Split attachments into individual notes

syntaxfree

I tagged this as Windows because it's what I use at work, but I also use a Mac at home; it kind of applies to both.

It would be useful to be able to split all attachments in a note into individual notes. Use cases:

1. Sometimes I get folder shares with academic literature reviews and individual PDFs for each paper reviewed. I have a curated collection of academic papers myself, and tend to write my own notes next to the PDF attachment in an "Academic literature" folder.
  2. I have rules in Gmail so that messages from people from certain groups that contain Word and PDF attachments get sent straight into Evernote. This is great automation, and makes the Premium feature of search-into-Word shine bright -- I can find files no one else can, because filenames only go so far when there's ad hoc versioning and merging going on. (I live poised on the edge of academia and corporate). I'd still like to be able to annotate received attachments easily.

Right now I have a note with over 25 PDFs that's making me unhappy. Why dump so many PDFs into Evernote you say? Search, silly, search.

• Level 5*

Doesn't cut/paste work? Is this use case so frequent that it would need a special facility to do this? I mean, I can see adding PDFs to Evernote -- I do this a fair amount myself. But how did you get a note with 25 PDF attachments? Was that via an automated process?

But how did you get a note with 25 PDF attachments?

Today? I received a thumb drive with a selection of papers as PDF files, and dragged them to a note. I would rather create 25 notes, but task number one is making them searchable together with the rest of the literature that's already on Evernote.

Eventually cut/paste works, of course, but it's  time-consuming enough that it's unworkable. Maybe the simplest solution to this problem, to cut awkward issues of how to split a note, would be a "paste as separate notes" menu somehow and originating separate notes from the get-go. 

But how did you get a note with 25 PDF attachments?

Today? I received a thumb drive with a selection of papers as PDF files, and dragged them to a note. I would rather create 25 notes, but task number one is making them searchable together with the rest of the literature that's already on Evernote.

Eventually cut/paste works, of course, but it's  time-consuming enough that it's unworkable. Maybe the simplest solution to this problem, to cut awkward issues of how to split a note, would be a "paste as separate notes" menu somehow and originating separate notes from the get-go.

If you drag multiple files into a note, yes, EN will put all those files in the note. Use case? I want all those files in a single note. If you want multiple files to be added one file per note, on the Windows client, it's best/easiest to set up an import/watched folder & copy the files to the import/watched folder. (Tools/import folders.) Please search the board if you need more info on the import folders.

Archived