postach.io

gazumped

• Level 5*

Hi all - I've (almost) joined the blogging generation,  by setting up myself on postach.io; but by the time I'd gone through the sign up pages,  signed for disqus too and read about all the other stuff I need to know,  I'd pretty much lost the will to blog.

It might be the age - a certain impatience sets in as one matures; the alcohol (though I do still have active brain cells);  or just the need to get everything done in a hurry: but I can't get a grip on how to get comments (like this.  but longer...) into a blog rather than on the forums.

There are folks here who have done the deed and seem mighty pleased.  If anyone who has gone through the process would be willing to put up a how-to - explaining the whole process (in the words of the immortal Sarris) "as you would to a child" I'd certainly be grateful - or if there's an existing FAQ that I skimmed past and you can point me to,  I would be in your considerable debt*.

Thankyouverymuch

*considerable debts are redeemable only in the UK and have a face value of .00000000000001p or (considerably) less.

• Level 5*

I'm running my own business which overlaps with communications (the written kind),  IT,  plus insurance,  banking and the law - Evernote is great for clipping stuff from all those areas which is relevant or which interests me,  but I often want to respond in one way or another to the material I see.  It's that age think again I think - there's often a strong urge to do a "what are you - 12?" type response to the 'latest' fad in any of the above.  I promise to stay far away from poetry, fiction, any medical conditions and food - although whisky might get an occasional mention...

Hi there! I'm one of the co-founders of Postach.io. Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting things setup. I'd love to help! 

You can either post in here, or send me an email directly gavin[at]postach.io and we can go from there.

Cheers

• Level 5*

Hi Gavin,  thanks for the come-back.  In fact after I posted my little plea from the heart I got an automated "now you've had an account for a few days" follow-up from you direct.  I'll email you off-line to follow this up,  but thanks for the very positive support here.

• Level 5

I went to the Postach.io web site. These types of start-ups that offer little-to-no information, unless I sign up first, always send me running away. And I am apprehensive when  when a new program wants full access to my personal Evernote data without a very detailed explanation on the security measures they utilize.

Gazumped, I thoroughly agree with your taking the time to set up postach.io. I have just set it up myself, and will admit it did take me a while to get the comments and everything working.

You get the code for your comments from your disqus setup. Set your theme on your postach.io blog first, and then insert the source code for disqus on the postach.io dashboard. A tiny bit of HTML knowledge will help you, or the support team from postach.io - they are awesome. You can also insert Google Analytics at this time, which is worth the effort.

The finished product is really worth it. I chose a very simple theme to compliment Evernote - you can check it out by pasting this link into your browser: tyabblemons.postach.io

My domain should be linked to it in just a couple of hours time (fingers crossed).

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it when you finish this rather steep learning curve. It's worth it.

Regards,

Brad.

gazumped: no problem! glad we could help!

jbenson2: thanks for the feedback! you're absolutely right, we should be listing why we need the permissions we do. regarding security, we follow all guidelines outlined by the evernote api best practices to ensure user privacy.

tyabblemons: nice looking site! really glad to see you're enjoying postach.io - let us know if you have any questions or suggestions!

• 1 month later...

Registered on postach.io in April but never managed to make it work. First, it asks me to sign in with my EN account, which means re-authorizing. And then it says "Welcome!" and asks me to register with my email, but when I type my email it says "That email is already in use". Sure it is! But how can I sign in with it? 

There's no help page or support email address on their site.

Apart from losing time, I got two spam messages from postach.io: an advertisement for a webinar and a question: "What should we charge?"

Very funny.

A bit off topic, but I gotta say... my biggest fear about postach.io is ... if it goes away.

It is the *best* thing that's every happened with Evernote (imo)

Just stick with it a while it will be worth it.

I've linked EN with postach.io and because postach.io has a rss feed, I use twitter feed to push the links to twitter and facebook.

The amount of time that saves me is insane.

I type once, and it goes to my blog, facebook, twitter and years from now, I will always have a backup of my posts.

Before I was backup up my blogs/twitter/facebook to Evernote, now I don't need to bother, because Evernote is the *source*

Gavin and Co - thank you for this gift, please give it time to catch on - for people realise the value of this product.

Registered on postach.io in April but never managed to make it work. 

I will admit, it took me all my patience to set it up. Once you've done it once, you find it's actually pretty easy - but there are some third party sites you need to register with, and this can be tedious. I promise the result is worth it, as you experience control over your blog like you've never had before.

I'm running 3 blogs. At the moment, it's free, but soon we'll have to pay (for more than one) in order for postach.io to make money - hence the email about what to charge. Of my three blogs, one is my own personal blog, one is the website for a wildlife conservation group, and another is a 'business' website - I managed to break all the rules and bend it to host a very nice business site using postach.io and Evernote. I haven't paid a cent for web hosting.

On the postach.io page, there's a question mark in the bottom right corner (when you log in - you'll have to sort out that password problem using the recovery options). Click on the question mark, and the guys will respond pretty quickly if it's during their daytime. They even responded to me in their pyjamas just before getting into bed! (Don't ask me how I know that...) They are approachable, and they want to help you set it up and for you to be happy with your blog, because frankly, you're their best ad. The setup process is being streamlined as we speak. I was going to write a 'how to' blog about setting it up, since I've done three blogs now. They've advised me to hold off for a moment. In its current form it takes a lot of patience, but the end result is definitely worth it. It's not a Google product - it has to be installed with some flair! If you get really stuck and just can't get it set up, post here and I'll talk you though as best I can. I'm a big fan of postach.io. I'm disappointed that you had trouble with it. Would love to see you as happy with it as I am.

I will admit, it took me all my patience to set it up. Once you've done it once, you find it's actually pretty easy - but there are some third party sites you need to register with, and this can be tedious. I promise the result is worth it, as you experience control over your blog like you've never had before.

I'm running 3 blogs. At the moment, it's free, but soon we'll have to pay (for more than one) in order for postach.io to make money - hence the email about what to charge. Of my three blogs, one is my own personal blog, one is the website for a wildlife conservation group, and another is a 'business' website - I managed to break all the rules and bend it to host a very nice business site using postach.io and Evernote. I haven't paid a cent for web hosting.

On the postach.io page, there's a question mark in the bottom right corner (when you log in - you'll have to sort out that password problem using the recovery options). Click on the question mark, and the guys will respond pretty quickly if it's during their daytime. They even responded to me in their pyjamas just before getting into bed! (Don't ask me how I know that...) They are approachable, and they want to help you set it up and for you to be happy with your blog, because frankly, you're their best ad. The setup process is being streamlined as we speak. I was going to write a 'how to' blog about setting it up, since I've done three blogs now. They've advised me to hold off for a moment. In its current form it takes a lot of patience, but the end result is definitely worth it. It's not a Google product - it has to be installed with some flair! If you get really stuck and just can't get it set up, post here and I'll talk you though as best I can. I'm a big fan of postach.io. I'm disappointed that you had trouble with it. Would love to see you as happy with it as I am.

I'm glad for you, but my situation is totally different: there is no way to login, no password recovery option, no question mark, no way to contact developers in their pyjamas - just two screen: sign in with EN and "email already in use". 

I'm glad for you, but my situation is totally different: there is no way to login, no password recovery option, no question mark, no way to contact developers in their pyjamas - just two screen: sign in with EN and "email already in use". 

Yes, that's a problem! I'll see if I can get one of the postach.io team to have a look at the thread. Good luck.

Hi Parf! I'm sorry that you're having issues. Try entering in a different email address that the one you normally use and it will allow you to proceed. There was a bug created when we switched to Evernote-based authentication which causes some users not to be able to use their current email address to login with. Once you're logged in, click the "?" in the bottom right corner, send us a message letting us know what email you were using originally and we'll delete the email address manually.

Hi Parf! I'm sorry that you're having issues. Try entering in a different email address that the one you normally use and it will allow you to proceed. There was a bug created when we switched to Evernote-based authentication which causes some users not to be able to use their current email address to login with. Once you're logged in, click the "?" in the bottom right corner, send us a message letting us know what email you were using originally and we'll delete the email address manually.

I am not sure if you are serious.

Are you telling me that I should register another email account, just for the sake of trying this application? Instead of fixing this bug?

No way. 

It's something I really don't get: I can't use your service with my email, but you can use my email to spam me?

Really?

Winner of EN Developer's Cup?..

Are you telling me that I should register another email account, just for the sake of trying this application? Instead of fixing this bug?

No way. 

It's something I really don't get: I can't use your service with my email, but you can use my email to spam me?

Really?

Parf I'm sorry for your poor experience! We're working hard every day to improve Postach.io.

The reasoning behind using a different email address is this: it doesn't create a new account because we use your Evernote account to authenticate you, we only use the email address to associate it with the evernote account so we can send updates and support. It actually doesn't matter what email address you use to sign up with, the key part to Postach.io is the Evernote account. Email me at brandon[at]postach.io and we'll see about getting your account reset so you can use your email address!

No way. 

Really?

Parf I'm sorry for your poor experience! We're working hard every day to improve Postach.io.

The reasoning behind using a different email address is this: it doesn't create a new account because we use your Evernote account to authenticate you, we only use the email address to associate it with the evernote account so we can send updates and support. It actually doesn't matter what email address you use to sign up with, the key part to Postach.io is the Evernote account. Email me at brandon[at]postach.io and we'll see about getting your account reset so you can use your email address!

Well since I have only one email address, it does matter for me, what email address you use - because I cannot sign in with mine. 

So please just delete my email (nadyadeangelis@gmail.com) from your database. No more spam, no more time lost. 

@parf - I would like to help you personally, to get this issue resolved. I agree using a new email or requiring you to create new accounts is not the answer. We can do better than that. Please contact me via gavin [at] postach.io

Thanks for your offer, but no, I don't want to contact you. 

I tried it again - the bug is still there - just delete my email address from your database, thanks for understanding.

@parf - I would like to help you personally, to get this issue resolved. I agree using a new email or requiring you to create new accounts is not the answer. We can do better than that. Please contact me via gavin [at] postach.io

Thanks for your offer, but no, I don't want to contact you. 

I tried it again - the bug is still there - just delete my email address from your database, thanks for understanding.

No problem, I understand. I've personally removed your account/email from our system. Sorry for the hassle.

Gavin

• 3 weeks later...

jbenson2: thanks for the feedback! you're absolutely right, we should be listing why we need the permissions we do. regarding security, we follow all guidelines outlined by the evernote api best practices to ensure user privacy.

tyabblemons: nice looking site! really glad to see you're enjoying postach.io - let us know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Tyabblemons: everything on that blog of yours was done via postach.io? Impressive.

Gavin: Postach.io just plain won't work for me. I tried to sync yesterday but it still doesn't wanna work after many hours .. it says no posts yet with a sadface. and, at the risk of sounding like THE ultimate nimrod of the century,  how do i log into Postachio? there's no link for that

(General question to all now) How can I quickly go to non-edit mode using a keyboard shortcut (from edit mode) (in the web app version of EN)? i know i can click to another note with my mouse but i'm keyboard oriented that's why i'm asking. thank you

Tyabblemons: everything on that blog of yours was done via postach.io? Impressive.

Gavin: Postach.io just plain won't work for me. I tried to sync yesterday but it still doesn't wanna work after many hours .. it says no posts yet with a sadface. and, at the risk of sounding like THE ultimate nimrod of the century,  how do i log into Postachio? there's no link for that

(General question to all now) How can I quickly go to non-edit mode using a keyboard shortcut (from edit mode) (in the web app version of EN)? i know i can click to another note with my mouse but i'm keyboard oriented that's why i'm asking. thank you

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, everything is done with postach.io. Of course the comments are hosted by Disqus, but they're easy to set up on the blog. I've found new ways to push the platform - and I openly abuse it. I try to break it! I give the team reason to pause, sometimes, I think. I use it in an unusual way for live fire blogs, for wildfires here in Australia. These must run in real-time, and the only platforms that let me do this are Evernote and postach.io.

@will it ever work: The most common problem for posts not showing is either they weren't tagged with "published" or Evernote wasn't synced. If you've done that, you can try logging into your Postach.io account and manually syncing your site. This connects to Evernote and ensures all notes are on Postach.io. To login, simply go to http://postach.io and click the "Sign-In With Evernote" button. You'll be taken to Evernote to authenticate your account and then redirected to your Postach.io dashboard.

Hope this helps! 

@tyabblemons: Your implementations of Postach.io are always epic. Love it :)

Glad its working for you now :) I've responded to your support message with some more details regarding the issue you were having.

Cheers!

I would advise any user who encounters any problems with postach.io to simply click the help button at the bottom right of the postach.io dashboard screen. I have found the support team to be very responsive - although they are opposite time zone to Australia. I wouldn't have had such success with my postach.io blogs if the support team weren't as good as they are. No, I don't work for them, but I am a fan ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Just came across this post searching for something else.

I was a little irked at some misguided comments above.

postach.io does not spam people and since I signed up around the Dev cup I've never once gotten an email about "how much?". (edit: I just saw the blog post mentioned, really, you thought that was intrusive?)

I've never blogged because it seemed like a hassle, this makes it so easy and streamlined that I might just do it for my friends instead of using Facebook. thank for a great supplement to Evernote.

(and no I'm not associated with them, yeah this might sound fanboyish, but it's not right to treat a developer like that.)

Hey @monkeygrip, thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you're enjoying Postach.io.

To be fair, we had sent out some automated emails in hopes to get some feedback from our users. Many of them didn't like this approach, and we've since put a stop to those. Most of our feedback now comes through blog posts and comments as well as Twitter. Seems to be working for everyone :D

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with sync/ post to postach.

Even I have added new note with published tag or amend the old post.

The blog cannot be updated. I tried to reauthorised postach to retrieve my evernote account but seems not work.

So anyone have same experience?

I have a problem with sync/ post to postach.

Even I have added new note with published tag or amend the old post.

The blog cannot be updated. I tried to reauthorised postach to retrieve my evernote account but seems not work.

So anyone have same experience?

I believe there is an outage at the moment. I have problems too. I have recently heard from the team and they are working on the issue. Hope it won't be long.

Just wanted to chime in here.

We've released a couple updates since yesterday, that have solved most of the problems users are having. Have you tried again recently? If its still not working, the best way for us to help is to open a support ticket. You can do that by logging into your Postach.io account and clicking the "?" icon in the bottom right corner :)

Cheers,

Gavin

I'm trying to sign up for this, but I'm having some issues. One: The 'Create Site' button does do anything half of the time. Two: At sign up, it creates a notebook for you. When I try to change the default notebook it never recognizes it. It simply will not sync up. I am using the 'published tag' 

I really want to use this service. :)

• 1 month later...

I had a nice little blog called http://walker.postach.io/, then suddenly a few months ago, I got this

404: Not Found

Sorry mate, but that content you're looking for has apparently sprouted legs and trotted off.

I did send off a few emails to Postash.io, but got no reponse, the then I tought "Hey, wait a minute .... all my blog posts are still in Evernote, so I'll just recreate the blog site, by updating each note by adding  a single dot to each page .... and then sync EN"

Nothing ... just the "Welcome to Postach.io" page.

I really wanted to like this site. I was a big fan of the whole concept, but it just isn't working - at least for me.

:(

Worst part is that all my twitter links and facebook links to my blog will now follow through to the 404 error message.

I was hoping to use Postash.io and my one stop shop to send to twitter, facebook, and blog from one point.

• 1 month later...

Quick question: is there any way to "monetize" postachio by way of "ad" widgets... Say, advertising an ebook? I know that we could create a clickable link to take our readers anywhere... But it does seem to me that this would be the one element I could not work around. I am prepared to go for a minimalistic approach which is part and parcel of the pistach.io-Evernote setup... But I think this is an essential one.

Sure... On any blogging platform, a minuscule percentage of the users are actually professional bloggers or anyone who makes any sort of income.... But think about it... Being able to monetize a blog creates a space where one will find some of the most sought after material. Those who want to drive traffic to their blogs will be those who promote any platform that is hosting... They will do the heavy lifting of attracting more people to postach.io. Those are the power players who get stuff to go viral. In any case, that's a hurdle I can't get past personally.

Another thing would be some sort of email subscription for readers... I know it may seem old fashioned... But kind of important. Most of what I see on postach.io at the moment are test posts of newbies testing out the waters... And they never seem to get past that first post. The idea is novel, but there are a few "musts" that need to be present even for the biggest of Evernote fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a video about your platform on DottoTech this afternoon and have been researching Postach.io.  I like what I see, but have a couple of questions.  

1. Other than my password protecting my notebooks or notes in Evernote (other than the one Postach.io adds) what keeps my information private from your developers (in my EN account) and other employees?
  2. I have seen listings for blogs that are simply .com and others that are .postach.io - is the difference premium vs. free?
  3. I have just started a blog on a Weebly hosted site - will Postach.io interface with this site and domain (I own)?  If so, will the free version permit this, is it the "custom" option I saw on the video or is it premium service?
  4. Am I limited to the stock templates on Postach.io or can I import my own (not necessary if you interface with Weebly)?

Thanks for the help.

• Level 5*

Watched a video about your platform on DottoTech this afternoon and have been researching Postach.io.  I like what I see, but have a couple of questions.  

1. Other than my password protecting my notebooks or notes in Evernote (other than the one Postach.io adds) what keeps my information private from your developers (in my EN account) and other employees?
  2. I have seen listings for blogs that are simply .com and others that are .postach.io - is the difference premium vs. free?
  3. I have just started a blog on a Weebly hosted site - will Postach.io interface with this site and domain (I own)?  If so, will the free version permit this, is it the "custom" option I saw on the video or is it premium service?
  4. Am I limited to the stock templates on Postach.io or can I import my own (not necessary if you interface with Weebly)?

Thanks for the help.

Hi

1. http://evernote.com/legal/tos.php
  2. No clue - I recommend playing with the free version to see what it will do
  3. Don't think so - unless you can convert your Weebly content into Evernote 'blog' notes
  4. AFAIK Postach.io only supports its own templates.

- All of which is largely unhelpful I know,  but while the Postach guys have replied here they seem a bit quiet lately.  

currently using your own domain name is free, but they say it "may become a premium feature in the future". The process for linking it to your own domain is very easy and, unlike with Wordpress, you still maintain control over all of your other DNS settings (redirects, email etc) in the domain manager of your choice. 

I didn't stay with this blogging platform, but not because I didn't like it. Anyway, if you already have a blog with Postach.io, I seem to recall you can just click on the question mark in the lowe right side of your screen to ask for help. The response time was pretty fast when I used it a few months ago. So was the response time to the email I sent before signing on.

Maybe your email was lost in cyberspace? I'd try again just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

If you see no posts, there can be several reasons. 

1.  The notebook you are publishing from, is not Public.

• That's not a problem: you do not need to make the entire notebook public.
  • Simply make the post(s) you want to appear on pistachio as Public: Menu > Note > Share > Copy Shared URL.
  • Now this specific note is Public and you can tag is with "published" and it will appear on Postach.io

2. Sometimes, Postach.io has the hick-ups and just won't show any posts, no matter what you try.

• One workaround is to do a search in Evernote for all posts tagged "published, then select them all.
  • They'll go on a heap at the right side of your screen.
  • Now you can easily remove the tag "published from all of them in one go.
  • !!! Tag them all as "Unpublished !!!
  • Sync Evernote.
  • Then put the tag "published" back on again and remove the tag "Unpublished".
  • Sync again.
  • And voila, everything is there again on Postach.io!

Hmmn.  I guess blog posts by definition have to be public,  but I don't remember seeing anything about needing to share the notes in the initial set-up...

Me neither. I discovered this, because I did not want to create a new Notebook for Postach.io but instead prefer to use my existing Diary. Of course a diary should be Private - i don't want to have the whole world read what my inner thoughts are. But sometimes I write something that can be shared and those posts/notes I want to publish on Postach.io. Therefore I need to makes those notes Public, which in my opinion, can only be done by going to Menu > Note > Share > Copy Shared URL.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the added info.  I was happy to find that I could create blogs within separate notebooks in a stack,  and that the content of notes can be assigned to blog pages with the addition of a tag;  but I believed that process assigns content only,  not the limited metadata from the note which is visible in a public share.  

That extra data's not necessarily totally bad - you get a 'shared by' forinstance which may or may not match the name in your blog.  But it also means I could just stop using Postach.io and publish the pages myself.  Don't have time now to work through the implications,  but I'm definitely not going to be publicly sharing the blog notes I have,  whether they work or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post.. Is there a way to trim a post so a user can click read more, which would go to the actual post in Postachio? I know it can be done in Wordpress.

Yes, easy, go to settings on your dashboard and check the box for 'Show post excerpt'. Hope that helps :)

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post.. Is there a way to trim a post so a user can click read more, which would go to the actual post in Postachio? I know it can be done in Wordpress.

Yes, easy, go to settings on your dashboard and check the box for 'Show post excerpt'. Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much! 

• 4 weeks later...

Gazumped, I signed up with Postach in the 2nd half of last year because, being slightly Evernote-crazy & interested in writing, I thought it would be good to get some more functionality out of Evernote. But I but could not get it to work properly either, when I looked at the final result of a post on the website it was crappy. Support from Postach was virtually non-existant, in fact I found it pretty amateurish. I turned to Blogger (by Google) & found a good-looking, professional set-up which actually makes you happy to blog.

I don't know how Postach has evolved over the past few months, but the fact that you have got frustrated too suggests that they have not made much progress. They have a long way to go & in the mean time they will be losing users for good.

• 1 month later...

Help for a newbie! I've just created a postach.io account, and linked it to my Evernote and Dropbox accounts. All well and good. I get the email to confirm my email address, and click on the link. And now I'm going round in a circle: I get directed to http://postach.io/account/finished with the friendly greeting shown below, and get sent another email to confirm my address, etc etc. Simply typing postach.io as the URL doesn't help, I get redirected to the same page. Before I give up in disgust, is there anything obvious that I'm being stupid about?

Thank you for signing up
email-happy.png

You will receive an email shortly with a link to confirm your account. Thanks again!

Help for a newbie! I've just created a postach.io account, and linked it to my Evernote and Dropbox accounts. All well and good. I get the email to confirm my email address, and click on the link. And now I'm going round in a circle: I get directed to http://postach.io/account/finished with the friendly greeting shown below, and get sent another email to confirm my address, etc etc. Simply typing postach.io as the URL doesn't help, I get redirected to the same page. Before I give up in disgust, is there anything obvious that I'm being stupid about?

Thank you for signing up
email-happy.png

You will receive an email shortly with a link to confirm your account. Thanks again!

If you see no posts, there can be several reasons. 

1.  The notebook you are publishing from, is not Public.

• That's not a problem: you do not need to make the entire notebook public.
  • Simply make the post(s) you want to appear on pistachio as Public: Menu > Note > Share > Copy Shared URL.
  • Now this specific note is Public and you can tag is with "published" and it will appear on Postach.io

2. Sometimes, Postach.io has the hick-ups and just won't show any posts, no matter what you try.

• One workaround is to do a search in Evernote for all posts tagged "published, then select them all.
  • They'll go on a heap at the right side of your screen.
  • Now you can easily remove the tag "published from all of them in one go.
  • !!! Tag them all as "Unpublished !!!
  • Sync Evernote.
  • Then put the tag "published" back on again and remove the tag "Unpublished".
  • Sync again.
  • And voila, everything is there again on Postach.io!

The idea behind Postach is good & would be a nice extension of Evernote's functionality. Unfortunately the app still sucks. The support team might be responsive but progress on fixing the app seems to be slow.

There's no question Postach.io is a great but VERY light weight blogging platform and I think it was done that way by design. I don't think Postach.io set out to necessarily compete with or match the features of Wordpress or Blogger. I think Postach.io was intended to help reduce the friction of posting on those websites by stripping a platform down to its core. 

I gave postasch.io a whirl and never was my blog more active than in those days. I have Evernote running any time I am at my computer, so posting something was a trivial matter of writing a few words, adding a tag, and syncing. I've relocated back to wordpress for a variety of reasons (I'm not entirely happy with WP either, I'll be moving again sometime), but my post frequency has dropped considerably. 

Postach.io is great for getting posts out there, but it is NOT blogger or wordpress, and I am not surprised many people have moved (back) to those platforms. If you are running a serious blog that has some branding associated with it (I use "branding" loosely), Postach.io isn't going to be a great fit necessarily.

Strange to hear reports about bad support, granted I was trying it out in the earlier days, but during that time, I found support to be rather responsive. Perhaps it is growing pains. 

There's no question Postach.io is a great but VERY light weight blogging platform and I think it was done that way by design. I don't think Postach.io set out to necessarily compete with or match the features of Wordpress or Blogger. I think Postach.io was intended to help reduce the friction of posting on those websites by stripping a platform down to its core. 

I gave postasch.io a whirl and never was my blog more active than in those days. I have Evernote running any time I am at my computer, so posting something was a trivial matter of writing a few words, adding a tag, and syncing. I've relocated back to wordpress for a variety of reasons (I'm not entirely happy with WP either, I'll be moving again sometime), but my post frequency has dropped considerably. 

Postach.io is great for getting posts out there, but it is NOT blogger or wordpress, and I am not surprised many people have moved (back) to those platforms. If you are running a serious blog that has some branding associated with it (I use "branding" loosely), Postach.io isn't going to be a great fit necessarily.

Strange to hear reports about bad support, granted I was trying it out in the earlier days, but during that time, I found support to be rather responsive. Perhaps it is growing pains. 

If they did not want to compete with Blogger, Wordpress etc ten they are confusing (potential) users with this on their website:

The easiest way to blog

If they did not want to compete with Blogger, Wordpress etc ten they are confusing (potential) users with this on their website:

The easiest way to blog

hmmm I may have been a bit unclear. I suppose they are competing in the sense that they are offering a service in the same category as Blogger and Wordpress. I guess my point was more that they don't appear to be attempting to match or replicate or the type of blogging platform being offered by Blogger and Wordpress. Postach.io is blogging "light", while Blogger and Wordpress are (arguably) full-blown blogging platforms. 

I guess I see Postach.io as Honda Civic, while Blogger and Wordpress are like high-end BMW and Mercedes. Honda is competing with the other two inasmuch as they are all making cars, but Honda is really catering to a customer that just needs to get somewhere without advanced features and luxury of the BMW/Merc.

Odds are if you are buying a Civic, you weren't just about to buy a BMW z5. They are both cars but not really directly competing. The number of people who are just as likely to buy a Civic as they are a z5 is likely quite small.

However, If you are buying a BMW z5, you quite likely might have also been looking at a Mercedes SLK. The number of people who would consider a z5 and ALSO an SLK is probably quite large. 

So, yes Postach.io is arguably competing with Blogger and Wordpress, but I would suggest that they are offering a fundamentally different service. Nobody thinks a Civic is stealing customers away from the SLK, and the Civic isn't trying to. I would suggest that Postach.io is just the same. I think Postach.io is grabbing people who might not have been on Wordpres or Blogger, or who ARE on those platforms but for whom those platforms are excessive. 

Anyway, a bit of a digression ultimately. Postach.io - Dead simple blogging for people who don't need the stuff of WP or Blogger. Competing? Not Competing? I dunno. 

The easiest way to blog

hmmm I may have been a bit unclear. I suppose they are competing in the sense that they are offering a service in the same category as Blogger and Wordpress. I guess my point was more that they don't appear to be attempting to match or replicate or the type of blogging platform being offered by Blogger and Wordpress. Postach.io is blogging "light", while Blogger and Wordpress are (arguably) full-blown blogging platforms. 

I guess I see Postach.io as Honda Civic, while Blogger and Wordpress are like high-end BMW and Mercedes. Honda is competing with the other two inasmuch as they are all making cars, but Honda is really catering to a customer that just needs to get somewhere without advanced features and luxury of the BMW/Merc.

Odds are if you are buying a Civic, you weren't just about to buy a BMW z5. They are both cars but not really directly competing. The number of people who are just as likely to buy a Civic as they are a z5 is likely quite small.

However, If you are buying a BMW z5, you quite likely might have also been looking at a Mercedes SLK. The number of people who would consider a z5 and ALSO an SLK is probably quite large. 

So, yes Postach.io is arguably competing with Blogger and Wordpress, but I would suggest that they are offering a fundamentally different service. Nobody thinks a Civic is stealing customers away from the SLK, and the Civic isn't trying to. I would suggest that Postach.io is just the same. I think Postach.io is grabbing people who might not have been on Wordpres or Blogger, or who ARE on those platforms but for whom those platforms are excessive. 

Anyway, a bit of a digression ultimately. Postach.io - Dead simple blogging for people who don't need the stuff of WP or Blogger. Competing? Not Competing? I dunno. 

I understand your point, but with the cars you have a physical product you can look at & very quickly evaluate its slot in the market. With a virtual product this is not possible. So someone who hears that it is possible to extend EN's functionality to blogging (as I did) without any further info, caveats or, to use your analogy, indication of which type of car you are getting is not right.

Furthermore, the company does itself more harm than good because they end up frustrating people who will walk away (like I did) & are unlikely to come back. Moreover, EN users can still use EN to prepare their Blogger or Wordpress posts with.

So as far as I am concerned as an ex-Postach user, I don't care how they play it because, as the saying goes, there are plenty of fish in the sea, and very tasty ones at that, like there are plenty of cars in the market, one is not limited to that Honda Civic or BMW Z5.

The easiest way to blog

I understand your point, but with the cars you have a physical product you can look at & very quickly evaluate its slot in the market. With a virtual product this is not possible. So someone who hears that it is possible to extend EN's functionality to blogging (as I did) without any further info, caveats or, to use your analogy, indication of which type of car you are getting is not right.

Furthermore, the company does itself more harm than good because they end up frustrating people who will walk away (like I did) & are unlikely to come back. Moreover, EN users can still use EN to prepare their Blogger or Wordpress posts with.

So as far as I am concerned as an ex-Postach user, I don't care how they play it because, as the saying goes, there are plenty of fish in the sea, and very tasty ones at that, like there are plenty of cars in the market, one is not limited to that Honda Civic or BMW Z5.

Can't disagree with you on that! You're spot on, really the only way to tell Postach.io's potential is to try it, which you did, and so did I. After a while, we both saw it wasn't for us. It did "cost" a few hours of work on each end to get my stuff INTO Postach.io, and then OUT of it in the end, but no harm done. I had a sense of what I was getting into at the time anyway, and thought it might work. It didn't. 

Thank you for signing up
email-happy.png

Sorry you're having trouble getting started! Please send us an email at hello@postach.io outlining your issues, or send us a message by clicking the "?" in your sites dashboard.

You know, I still think the concept of Sentinote is good, but I've had my free Wordpress blog for six months now and no longer feel there is really a need for such widgets. At least not for people like me and I *suck* (badly) at all things tech related. YouTube is my friend...

You know, I still think the concept of Sentinote is good, but I've had my free Wordpress blog for six months now and no longer feel there is really a need for such widgets. At least not for people like me and I *suck* (badly) at all things tech related. YouTube is my friend...

If I want to keep the text of a post in Evernote as a back-up copy, or even draft my original in EN, it's easy to Copy & Paste it into WordPress. Their text editor is great for formatting too.

I have not tried Sentinote. I should probably take a close look since I really do need to get my blog going properly.

But at the same time I am really considering just making a big switch to Octopress/Jekyll.

And wordpress now natively supports markdown, which is great for me. I can draft things in Evernote in Markdown and past it into Wordpress, or vice versa, without any formatting probs. 

• 3 months later...

I've been blogging for several years now and also as an Evernote user thought that this would be an interesting application to use in concert with Evernote.  However, Evernote is not very "friendly" when it comes to text/media editing and when I tried to search for this topic on the Postach.io site I get nothing - sent in a digital circle.  So aside from Evernote's minimal editing tools are there any other tools through Postach or another application that can be used?  Can I copy/past from another application and will it then retain all embedded editing?

I've been blogging for several years now and also as an Evernote user thought that this would be an interesting application to use in concert with Evernote.  However, Evernote is not very "friendly" when it comes to text/media editing and when I tried to search for this topic on the Postach.io site I get nothing - sent in a digital circle.  So aside from Evernote's minimal editing tools are there any other tools through Postach or another application that can be used?  Can I copy/past from another application and will it then retain all embedded editing?

When I briefly used Postach.io, I wrote everything in Evernote using Markdown, which worked much better than trying to use Evernote's formatting tools (which I don't find to be terrible, but didn't always translate to the Postach.io page in the way I had anticipated, Markdown was 100% consistent). 

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

Unless you can link to an external service in some way there's nothing I know of that would accept a subscription or generate a reminder.  Certainly nothing in Evernote,  pretty sure in postach.io - don't know what you might be able to do with the add-in commenting service,  Disqus - http://help.postach.io/set-up-commenting-using-disqus

You could include an external website address in your blog and invite people to subscribe to an external newsletter forinstance...  I appreciate that's not what you're asking,  but just as an option/ alternative...

• 2 weeks later...

If I want to keep the text of a post in Evernote as a back-up copy, or even draft my original in EN, it's easy to Copy & Paste it into WordPress. Their text editor is great for formatting too.

I have not tried Sentinote. I should probably take a close look since I really do need to get my blog going properly.

But at the same time I am really considering just making a big switch to Octopress/Jekyll.

Hello 

I'm the contributor to blogwith.co

Similar service to Sentinote, I even spoke to Sentinote developer. He is an awesome guy and share lots of tips with me.

Anyway, blogwith.co is at early stage, markdown is not ready yet but normal text support is.

If you think it works for you :D do give it a try.

I used to use Jekyll, I love the simplicity 

however it is hard to make a post via mobile, unless you ssh in and do a jekyll build 

WP might seems bloated but it works fine if you want to focus on creating content.

My 2 cents 

• 3 months later...

Hi Gavin or Brandon or Shawn,

1) How do I log out of my postach.io pages?

2) I'm a recent paying customer (monthly) trying to decide whether to commit to a longer term with Postach.io. I have a couple of simple pages.

I think I used to see a popup on the site to ask questions....get help. I don't see it anymore. Now I can find NO WAY of contacting anyone for help, and it has frustrated me greatly.  If I am paying $9.00 per month, I think I should get more help than a FAQ and some published questions. I finally found this on the evernote/postach.io forum.

I found some work-arounds for what I needed to do already, so I don't have a question regarding making the pages work.  I do need to know how to log out, though.  I needed to see what it will look like for other people prior to adding password, and I couldn't log out! 

Am I missing something online that would direct me to a developer to get help?

Thank you,
JaMee

Hi JaMee,

1). You can log out of your account by clicking the avatar icon in the top right corner. That will give you a dropdown menu. From there, click "Logout".

2). First off, thanks so much for supporting Postach.io! We really appreciate it :) Our help system is still available. It never went away actually. You should see a little ( ? ) icon in the bottom right of your browser window while logged into your Postach.io account. Do you not see one? Do you have Javascript disabled in your browser?

If the internal support tool isn't working for you, you can always send an email to support@postach.io - it reaches the same place.

Cheers,

Gavin Vickery

Co-Founder / CTO

Postach.io

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your reply. 

Neither the avatar nor the Postach.io icon do anything....no menus at all. Thus, my confusion.

* Javascript value is set to TRUE. I guess that means it is ON. There is apparently no setting anymore...

I'm running Firefox 38.0. I also tried Chrome (works FINE) and IE10 (works fine)...but not in Firefox. Any ideas?

Hi JaMee,

Thanks for the update! If its not working in Firefox, but is working in Chrome and IE, then its definitely a browser issue. We'll have to look into whats causing that. In the meantime, I'd recommend continuing with Chrome :)

Now that you have access to the ( ? ) help system, could you open a support ticket with us?

Cheers,

Gavin Vickery

Co-Founder / CTO

Postach.io

Hey Gavin,

I've been trying to contact postach.io support for the past month or so but it looks like I might get more answers in this thread than from twitter. I really love Postach.io but if I am paying for the annual plan, pricier than a couple other blogging platforms, I expect to get some better customer service than what I've been experiencing.

Has the team looked into HTTPS and some more secure payment systems? The interface when I used it last was very jenky and it doesn't seem like it has changed. It says that my plan started in January event though I paid in March, so shouldn't it say that my plan started in March? 

There's also some issues with the instagram embeds. I use the short code for it and the image doesn't appear at all. The feature is very buggy and doesn't seem thoroughly tested. I hope you guys can look into this as well.

Thanks so much.

Hi aimango,

Sorry you haven't been able to get a hold of anyone! We currently use Stripe for payments, which is over their HTTPS connection. We hope to support HTTPS for our account login soon as well. 

We're aware of the embed issues and hope to have them fixed soon too. The plan is to come up with an easier way to use embeds vs the long-winded embed code we currently have. Maybe something like supported urls automatically become embeds. For example, if you paste in a YouTube or Instagram url, we'd parse that and embed it instead of just linking the URL. 

I'd love feedback or ideas on the embeds that anyone may have.

Cheers,

Gavin Vickery

Co-Founder / CTO

Postach.io

Archived