(Archived) Bulk data file copy_Word files to Evernote?

I've got 75+ recipes in various sub-directories beneath the parent local computer 'cooking' directory. I'd like to copy most if not all to Evernote. If I were to select all the sub-directories then drag them to the Evernote cooking notebook would Evernote parse out the directory names and collect all the recipes or must I open each directory on the computer and select each group of Word files separately?

Mark

I don't know what operating system you are on (I'm on Mac OS X), but I'll assume Windows.

About dragging in the main directory: Have you tried dragging the "cooking" directory onto your cooking notebook?

If this didn't work: In Windows Explorer, you should be able to search for "any file" in your cooking directory ("*.*" as search tearm should work). This should yield a complete list of all the files in that directory (no matter how deeply buried in subfolders). Select all (Ctrl-A) and drag them onto your cooking notebook.

Again, I'm pretty much flying blind here, so I'd be glad to hear if this helped any. :-)

I've got 75+ recipes in various sub-directories beneath the parent local computer 'cooking' directory. I'd like to copy most if not all to Evernote. If I were to select all the sub-directories then drag them to the Evernote cooking notebook would Evernote parse out the directory names and collect all the recipes or must I open each directory on the computer and select each group of Word files separately?

Mark

As Anjoschu said, it's helpful to post what client(s) you're using.  If you're using Windows, you can set up an import/watched folder.  Since they only go one level deep, you'd need to copy/paste all your Word docs into that folder.  Please search the board on import/watched folders, should you need more info. 

Hi,

I assume that the above method will wield notes with attached msword documents.

Anyway for EN to create a single note per recipe in bulk?

The example is 1000 recipes in a excel spreadsheet, can that be imported yielding 1 note per recipes in bulk without having to do that manually?

That's correct. The original poster didn't state the details. I assumed him/her wanting one note per word document with the file as attachment.

The example is 1000 recipes in a excel spreadsheet, can that be imported yielding 1 note per recipes in bulk without having to do that manually?

Hm, I don't think this is possible without using some sort of macro recording or scripting language (such as, depending on the operating system: VBA / AppleScript / ...).

Hi,

Yes, AFAIK, Anjoschu is correct.  EN will not "break up" files into multiple notes.  Exporting/scripting would be the way to generate individual files than can then be imported into EN thereby generating a single note per recipe.  But honestly...1000 recipes in an Excel file???  I've used Mastercook for about 14 years & can't imagine anyone having 1000 recipes storing them in Excel.  Heck, even my "current" version (which isn't all that current - 11.0.01, copyright 2010) has an export to Evernote format...!!!

post-48228-0-84212700-1373045196_thumb.j

Hi,

anjoschu: Thanks for the info

BurgersNFries

Thanks for the advise.. I will look at MMC, in fact i think I used to own a copy. I don't have the recipes in excel, actually in a highly customized MS Access database.  MMC and all other recipe apps fell short years ago when we needed additional fields added for very detailed searching.. so we created our own. But now with everything on the road I wanted something that would be available to a team and accessed Via the web.  Podio.com can do that but will take a long time and i really hate to have the data in 2 places but may not have a choice. Another option may be emailing to Evernote a PDF report per recipe from access.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry for the delay in responding--I didn't receive posting notification.

OS=Windows 7

Clarification of point by example: Viewed using OS file explorer--parent directory=cooking, sub and sub-sub directories beneath. Within each subsidiary directory are 'individual' Word files. Object: drag the entire tree containing 75+ 'individual' Word file recipes to EN and have EN automatically(?) remove the directory names and simply keep the 75+ individual files vs. me going to each directory and dragging each directory's file/file grouping.

I'm hesitant to try this not knowing the potential negative consequence.

Absent further information, I will check out the prior suggestion and read thread on an 'import/watched folder'.

Mark

Sorry for the delay in responding--I didn't receive posting notification.

OS=Windows 7

Clarification of point by example: Viewed using OS file explorer--parent directory=cooking, sub and sub-sub directories beneath. Within each subsidiary directory are 'individual' Word files. Object: drag the entire tree containing 75+ 'individual' Word file recipes to EN and have EN automatically(?) remove the directory names and simply keep the 75+ individual files vs. me going to each directory and dragging each directory's file/file grouping.

I'm hesitant to try this not knowing the potential negative consequence.

Absent further information, I will check out the prior suggestion and read thread on an 'import/watched folder'.

Mark

Thanks for the the update. Appreciate the feedback.

As for negative consequences -- I don't think there would be any. If you are afraid of cluttering up your Evernote account, you could create a notebook to use for trying things out.

By the way: If you're a non-premium user, you might want to carry out your experiments using a purely non-synced (offline) notebook. Otherwise, with multiple import attempts, you might get above your monthly upload limit with all those Word files (particularly if they have pictures in them).

Archived