Wishlist of new features

Er... This might seem weird. I'm new here, never posted before. But I wanted to share my wishlist of desired features, other than on Twitter.

Please see my post here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s121/sh/69912bfe-7304-41ce-9cef-d5f47fa2178b/1882a20f0968e686e5f3825e0ec537b8?noteKey=1882a20f0968e686e5f3825e0ec537b8&noteGuid=69912bfe-7304-41ce-9cef-d5f47fa2178b

Thanks very much for reading :)

Is it okay if I point out that I think that we people who use Evernote have a completely unfair advantage over the rest of the world, because our lives are all sorted, stored and searchable?

Regards,

Brad.

• Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for posting your suggestions. I'm sure the developers will appreciate the feedback. I know that a lot of people (myself included) are keen on using Evernote as a platform for blogging. There are a couple of ways to do this (see the forums if you are interested), but I don't think anyone has quite hit all of those points yet. My guess is that a third party developer could do the things you are asking.

----------

Desktop features:

A highlighting pen

The ability to input in html

Embedded video

An icon for strike-through text format on the toolbar in desktop client.

Web related features:

The only reason I would use a blog rather than Evernote is the ability for the reader to insert comments, and statistics. Otherwise, Evernote is a crisp, clean blogging platform. I'm using it now.

A preview of the page as it would appear published on the web. The web version format varies considerably from the note on the desktop client, mainly in line spacing.

Ability for readers to insert moderated comments at the bottom of the web page. (Yeah, I know, big ask. Perhaps a 'write-only' note?)

Style-sheets or another way to change theme for published version.

Readership statistics for web-page views. The ability to embed html widgets would achieve this.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for sharing! I don't know which desktop platform you're using, but we recently debuted highlighting in Evernote for Mac  :) And though we don't have an icon for strikethrough text in the text editor for Mac, there is indeed a keyboard shortcut - CTRL-CMD-K.

As for wanting to use Evernote for blogging purposes, I am excited to point you to http://postach.io/ -- in which a great team (non-Evernote affiliated) has already created a blogging platform powered by Evernote. Try it out!

Thank you both very much! Grumpy, I should have listed my wishlist in the post. It was lazy of me to just link my note. Thank-you for cleaning up. Lesson learned.

Forever, what an amazing link! I'll spend the morning exploring Pstach.io, but it looks to me like you've found just the thing I needed. Clever people have been there before me :D

I'm very grateful for the interest you took in my post, and I thank you for responding. Grumpy, I should have mentioned, I'm running the Windows7 client. Evernote is Evernote - it just runs on everything, and it's easy to forget.

I'm very much an amateur in blogging, but the rigid disciplines of most blogging platforms annoy me. I can do whatever I want with Evernote, like even editing the post after it's published. And the features just keep coming. I'd pay my 5 bucks a month just to keep the R&D team ticking over - they do an amazing job.

I'll admit I haven't crawled the forum here before, but have found so many interesting posts that I'm sure to hang around. Hope to see you both around. Thanks again for reading and responding :)

• Level 5*

Find the keyboard shortcut, Brad. Now why didn't I think of that?

Glad to help. Personally, though I use keyboard shortcuts a lot, I think the functions should all be easily accessible from somewhere. I don't remember if this one is, but there are other things I think have hidden shortcuts, like the vertical list view (Ctrl+Shift+F5). The only way to discover them is to learn about them here on the forums. I am prodding the developers to put the stuff into the UI and menus. Hopefully, with the next update, we'll see some more :)

Evernote is a work in progress, and I actually like that about it. You blew me away because I just haven't been using keyboard shortcuts at all much, and I've realised I've been denying myself the use of a lot of easy functions. D'oh! 

My goodness, postach.io really works! Took a little bit of setting up, but I've got it working and I like it very much. All the third part apps are a bit to manage, but I very much see the advantages of setting them up. Having some trouble with disqus - it's late, and I'll look at it again tomorrow. 

I really do appreciate the great tips and this wonderful new toy that I have to play with :D

Brad :)

...As for wanting to use Evernote for blogging purposes, I am excited to point you to http://tyabblemons.postach.io 

There is a small glitch where two of my pictures aren't showing up in a post. Could be the naming of them or something - I've got a support ticket open with postach.io. They are very clever people getting all this to work so well. 

There were lots of themes to choose from, but I chose a very simple one to compliment Evernote. I was impressed with some of the fancy ones! A small amount of HTML knowledge is required to get the comments (disqus) working, and Google Analytics. The only other complication is you might have to register an avatar with a third party which only takes a couple of minutes. 

I've been using Evernote for a while, but this is my first taste of postach.io, and I'm hooked. I thank you very much for the terrific tip. You solved the very problems I posted about. Can you do anything about those other ideas of mine? lol.

I'm a newbie here, but I'm very glad I posted my wishlist. My wishes came true.

Brad.

• 1 month later...

I wish there was a feature for both windows and mac to have a saved searches act as virtual tag. say if they have the same name. This would allow move complicated searching. virtual tags would work like tags but instead of the tag having to be added manual to note it would be automatic base

• Level 5*

I wish there was a feature for both windows and mac to have a saved searches act as virtual tag. say if they have the same name. This would allow move complicated searching. virtual tags would work like tags but instead of the tag having to be added manual to note it would be automatic base

Could you explain this more fully, please? It's not clear, at least to me, what a virtual tag would be. Thanks.
  • 4 months later...

This is my wishlist for EN.  Keep in mind I love all the changes and there are so many good things, but a few of these features keep me from completely submersing myself in this product. 

Resizing of pictures** (I place a lot of tutorials in my EN and it defaults generally to the first picture which only show supplies but I want it to show the finished product).

If Resizing isn't possible, then choosing which picture to be the "face" of that note.

Less crashing/not responding (this happens to me ALOT)

Have a 5 star rating system (great for food or movies and such.. even if just for Evernote Food)
Would like the resizeable feature for the "cards" in the view section again.  It's no longer available. 

Can isolate shared folder tags**.  What I mean is that my sister and I share recipes books, I have all of her tags clogging up my tags.  I would like her tags not to show up unless I specifically click on that notebook. 

If any of these are currently available, please let me know. 
  • Level 5*

A 5-star rating system is not available (I have doubts that it will be any time soon), but you can roll your own using tags. I set one up once by making tags using the Unicode "Black Star" character (you don't have to use this, as it can be awkward to type, I just think it looks better. Just don't use asterix '*' as that makes it so you can't use this in a wildcard search):

★★
★★★
★★★★
★★★★★

To find items that are rated 3 stars and better, use the tag search: tag:★★★*

• 1 month later...

Evernote needs to build in the ability to duplicate and then lock a note.  I use evernote to manage meeting agendas and minutes.  This week's agenda is often built off of last week's minutes therefore I want to be able to duplicate the previous agenda as a starting point (copy paste is extremely buggy and has created formatting issues and crashes), but once I move to the next week, I need to lock the previous agenda to prevent unitentional changes that would mess up my minutes function.

Also, I Love the ability to email from inside the service.  Great feature for this use.

Thanks,

Jon

• Level 5*

Evernote needs to build in the ability to duplicate and then lock a note.  I use evernote to manage meeting agendas and minutes.  This week's agenda is often built off of last week's minutes therefore I want to be able to duplicate the previous agenda as a starting point (copy paste is extremely buggy and has created formatting issues and crashes), but once I move to the next week, I need to lock the previous agenda to prevent unitentional changes that would mess up my minutes function.

The desktop clients have the ability to duplicate a note; I use this in Windows all the time (I keep a weekly journal that I seed from a template note). It was added fairly recently to the Android client, as well. I don't lock my notes, I just refile them in a different notebook that I don't edit. I suppose that you could set up a separate account for archiving; move notes into it from your main account, and then you could then share them back to your main account, in a read-only notebook.
  • Level 5*

The desktop clients have the ability to duplicate a note; I use this in Windows all the time (I keep a weekly journal that I seed from a template note). It was added fairly recently to the Android client, as well. I don't lock my notes, I just refile them in a different notebook that I don't edit. I suppose that you could set up a separate account for archiving; move notes into it from your main account, and then you could then share them back to your main account, in a read-only notebook.

iOS duplicates notes now as well. Screenshot here, for those who haven't found it yet (the three dots):

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1840

• 9 months later...

Talking about wish lists (and now it's Christmas time...): My primary wish would be structured minute taking functions!

There are some nice minute taking apps out there (mostly for iPad: Meeting Pad, Beezy), but they are lacking Evernote's nice sync feature. Having minuting support in Evernote (with access to address book an calendar) would just be great!

Many thanks for taking into consideration...

...Piet

• 2 years later...

Archived