• Announcements

• Shane D.

Announcing 'Spaces' for Evernote Business!   02/27/2018

Hi All, We're very excited to announce the launch of Spaces for Evernote Business! I invite you to find more details and learn more in our most recent Community Announcement! 
    • Shane D.

Code of Conduct   03/26/2018

Hi All, The updated version of the Code of Conduct has been implemented, and you will need to accept those terms before proceeding. If you would like to review the Code of Conduct, you can do so Here
    • Shane D.

Update to Evernote Subscription Plans   04/12/2018

Hi All, We've made some updates to our Evernote subscription plans. To learn more, please see the 'Update to Evernote Subscription Plans' thread in the Community Announcements forum, or you can go here.

Idea

113 replies to this idea

+1 here as well.

Having the ability to do more with one product is more and more important.  Yes there are other apps that can do reminders and alerts, but it is not a stretch for evernote to provide this.

• Like 1

This would be a great idea. Adding reminders was a great step forward, but it's a little surprising that this wasn't included from the beginning. Allowing recurrent reminders would be a very natural step.

• Like 5

+1 - this feature would be a complete godsend!  :)

I had a look at the QEver app, its nearly there, but you can't use Notes already created in Evernote... which is a bit of a pain. I'm currently using an app called Due on iOS which works great, and so I think I'm gonna stick with that until Evernote steps in with our feature requests!!!!!

I also really need recurring reminders. I was going to ask for the ability to set reminders on the Windows interface, but I see that that feature will be released soon. Thanks:-)

Also, one minor irritant with the reminders is that if I have several of them waiting for my attention in my notification shade (Android - Jellybean), and I must turn the phone off and then on again, the reminders do not reappear there. The other reminder app I was using before always made sure that if I rebooted the phone while there were still reminders unaddressed, that they would ding at me again and patiently wait their turn in the notifications as soon as the phone turned back on. As it is now with Evernote, if I must reboot, those reminders have the potential to be forgotten and buried.

But overall... THANK THANKS THANKS for a wonderful product! Evernote makes my life so much more productive.

+1!

This would make Evernote THE app. The only thing you'd need apart from the OS and a web browser to make your pc functional.

I just signed up for the premium service. Evernote is the best kept secret in the mobile world IMO.

Recurring tasks would be awesome. I would also like to suggest the following:

1) Persistent reminders for overdue tasks

2) Option to regenerate tasks "after completed" rather than on a fixed cycle. If I had a task to wash my car last Friday, and I didn't get to it until today, I'd like the next alarm to be X days from today, not the original due date.

I suggest you take a look at Google Tasks Organizer, which is what I currently use, and it syncs with Google Tasks. I'd love to move all my tasks to Evernote, and will do so as soon as the functionality described above is available.

Thank you for making this great app and for your continued support for new features on Android.

• Like 3

Yes, please recurring reminders. It's the only thing keeping me from stopping to use my existing To Do app. 

Plus, I will sign up for another year if you get it out! Yay!

Sadly Evernote are impervious to bribery,  not to mention ambush, attack, barrage, battery, belligerency, blackmail, condemnation, denunciation, flattery, incursion, invasion, maltreatment, mishandling, mistreatment, molestation, opposition, oppugnation, resistance, or violence.  However they do improve things with time,  so we can all hope...  Besides waiting is much cheaper than any of the alternatives and involves rather less effort.

:P

• Like 3

recurring reminders would be perfect!  every week (multiple days options), every month (day # of the month and things like 2nd Saturday of the month) would be really helpful!

• Like 2

Just another plea to please add recurring reminders - the lack of this feature makes it very challenging for me to migrate over to Evernote from other tools after a test drive.  

• Like 1

It can't do any harm to add another vote for the recurring reminder feature. Ideally from my point of view it would be something along the lines of being able to set a single reminder for a single date as now plus the option to set a daily, weekly or annual reminder. For me at least that would be plenty and if I need to remind myself any more than that about something then I really ought to start looking at the task and doing something about it rather than just setting reminders and changing them  :rolleyes:

Considering that Remember the Milk has Evernote integration, I was actually wondering if the recurring feature in RtM updates the reminder in Evernote.  Just a question that occurs to me reading this thread. :)  So I did some research and edited this post.

First:  ...and I just finished reading the thread and found that article mentioned above.   And per RtM's blog, the reminders can repeat.  Can be a nice workaround in the meantime, I guess?  Or are there limitations that I haven't found yet?

Second: Limitations that I've found in two minutes after making the last edit.  The integration between RtM and Evernote is based on the Evernote's Webhooks feature.  That feature does not allow integration with Shared notebooks and Evernote for Business at this time.

Third: One more issue I've found.  The sync between RtM apps to Rtm servers is limited to once every 24 hours.  However the sync between Evernote goes directly to RtM and back... and there doesn't seem to be a limit on THAT sync method.  However, I would prefer to work with the RtM app in my tablet rather than just rely on RtM web app for my reminder management needs.

Conclusion: Using RtM will enable repeat reminders and other task management tools.  However, for full functionality across all platforms at Evernote's level (along with location based reminders), you'll be paying $25 a year.

So yeah, consider this my fully researched +1 for a repeat reminder baked into Evernote itself.  RtM is very powerful, and very nice.  However, I would prefer it to sync to my tablet more than once every 24 hours.  I could work around this using the web app, but I'd like to be able to make changes into RtM itself whenver I need to do so.

As far as I am concerned, it is absolutely mandatory to be able to make a reminder recur.

Absolutely necessary.

I really hope that the amazing crew over at evernote, sees to this functionality.

• Like 2

I find the built in reminder app on my iPhone very helpful.

I use the "when arriving at location" type reminders all the time.

So in addition to recurring reminders I would also like to see EN add location type reminders too.

If you could add this feature, it would make my life complete!!!!

So it would be a reminder/alarm at a regular period ie. every Monday at 10am, the last day of each month, every day at midday etc. etc.

Another vote for recurring reminders.

• Like 1

A possible workaround in the mean time is to create an IFTTT (if this then that) recipe to create new notes at the specified interval.

http://www.matthewkimberley.com/evernote-reminders/

Good thought,  but that script will only generate a new note,  it won't (unless I misread it) allow me to set my regular Wednesday evening meet-up as a reminder and repeat it for every second Wednesday in the month like Google Calendar will...

Don't Google send reminder emails if requested?  You could always have that reminder email sent to your Evernote account email with a suitable header...

• Like 1

Don't Google send reminder emails if requested? You could always have that reminder email sent to your Evernote account email with a suitable header...

Google calendar will send an email (or SMS, my choice) for appointments if you have that option selected in the reminders section of an appointment. It's probably one of the top 5 reasons I use Google Calendar.

The criteria that can be used as triggers for IFTTT with the Date & Time Channel are the following:

• Every day at
  • Every hour at
  • Every day of the week at
  • Every month on the
  • Every year on
Doesn't look like you could do "every second Wednesday in the month". Might be a good feature request for IFTTT.
As I mentioned, this is just a possible workaround, just like the Google Calendar could be used. Maybe if you "invited" your Evernote email address in Google Calendar, they would get a reminder?
Naturally, best would be native recurring reminders in Evernote itself, but hopefully folks that need it can use one of the options discussed in this thread in the meantime.

Have fun!

With so many ways to input so many different "notes" I believe this to be a significant feature.

For me, I save many online articles and posts form online sources that I would like to read again over time.

+1 recurring reminders for me

+1  Yes, Please!!  Disappointingly, I haven't really been able to use Evernote Reminders as they lack this important feature.  Serial procrastinator here.

• Like 1

I want to clarify - recurrent reminders would be great, but what I'm looking for is the ability to "snooze" a reminder.  E.G. when I get the reminder email, if I could hit "Reply" and email back a typed out date and time in standard format, it would reset the reminder with that date/time.  Or something like that.  That would be the bo-dizzle.

• Like 1

Ben350, thanks for clarifying. what you're asking for is different than what's being discussed here.

You're searching for a snooze feature, while we're talking about recurrent reminders: e.g. birthdays, or getting the trash out every Tuesday, or (in my case) paying the taxes every 3 months.

You can "snooze" by clicking on the reminder icon or the date, and modifying the date to tomorrow. Involves 3 clicks...

• Like 2

I am not going to really use evernote until the recurring reminders are implemented

I am not going to to recommend evernote until the recurring reminders are implemented

LDM

• Like 2

Yes, please create recurring reminders in Evernote. I'd like to drive my organization/life from Evernote and not Google Calendar reminders :)

+1 for me too. I have several recurring items and I want daily reminders of them. At the moment I don't have weekly etc. reminder needs but its value is clearly obvious. It's been a while too since it was rumoured / let slip so I hope it will be sooner rather than later please.  :)

For those using EN and RTM, you can create a reminder for an EN note, and then in RTM, modify the reminder/task to recurring. Would that mess anything up on the EN side?

I would love this feature. Any.do doesn't have it as well.

Yes, Any.do does have recurring tasks. It's not incredibly flexible but it is there.

There is a fantastic & easy to use site from which you can easily set up recurring reminders from Evernote.

Go to FolluwUpThen.com. The possibilities are almost limitless.

• Like 2

There's also FollowUp.cc - pretty much the same service as far as I can see;  you can email reminders to your Evernote address (if you set it up) so you get a correctly dated note for each repeated event.  CC your own email address for a direct headsup.

There is a fantastic & easy to use site from which you can easily set up recurring reminders from Evernote.

Go to FolluwUpThen.com. The possibilities are almost limitless.

I love FollowUpThen.com. Even have the paid version. Mostly, I use it to send SMS reminders for emails I need to act on. 

One thing Evernote definitely doesn't do is preview pipelines.  I would hope and imagine there's more to come on reminders,  but meantime...

• Like 1

If you’re a Windows user, you can now have recurring reminders in Evernote, via TuskTools Calendar.  See this forum post for more information.

TuskTools Calendar has many other features; you can take advantage of any or all of them, or you can just use the new recurring reminder functionality on its own.

This is seriously the most obvious thing missing from evernote.  I love everything else but no ability to repeat tasks is a let down.  

Srsly.  This is the second time I've downloaded and attempted to use Evernote.  But what I really need is a "To Do" list with more detail.  Frankly, I get better functionality for that with Wunderlist.  Why would I convert everything to Evernote if they can't figure out this very basic feature?

A "To Do" list with the ability to recur tasks would be awesome.  In Evernote, it would seem that I could add so much detail to tasks.  Seems like a no brainer and very simple thing to add.

Let me know when you do, I'll probably be a premium member at that point.  The app then becomes worth it.  Right now, it isn't.

This post is *not* aimed at anyone in particular, so please do not take it personally. It's just me blowing off some steam in a response to a number of posts I've seen around the forum boards lately.

It's not that Evernote *can't* do recurring reminders, it's just that for whatever reason, they haven't. At least not yet, anyway. As has been repeatedly stated, Evernote is a digital data storage program. Despite all the additions to what they started with, EN's core mission remains the same as the day they opened for business.

I am one of those users who would love for EN to be my "every digital need, desire and whim" kind of software, but I don't think they or any other program is every going to fulfill such a dream. EN is growing at an astonishing rate, they still have no where near the power or resources of industry giants like Facebook, Microsoft or Google, yet they still put a much higher priority into protecting our data and treating us all - paying *and free* users - more like human beings than the faceless cash cows so many other large businesses and corporations seem to consider their customers to be.

If recurring reminders are a really big deal for you ("you" in a generic sense) are a number of Evernote compatible apps, both free and paid, available at the EN App Centre. I strongly encourage you to take a look:

http://appcenter.evernote.com/apps/

If none seem agreeable to you, there are a number of completely free alternatives to Evernote on the market. I can't say I've come across any as well established, or as accomodating to their free users, but they do exist.

In fact new ones seem to pop-up every few weeks. Of course a fair number also seem to go under or get swallowed up by the big internet shar..er, players, almost as fast...

I'm sorry, but I just gotta say it... I truly don't understand why people get so worked up about what they see as " crucial missing features" in products they use, yet don't pay a single penny for! (Hence the disclaimer at the start of this post.)

Where does this concept of "I want it, ergo I *should* have it!" even come from? Do you work for free? Would you give away your time, effort and resources just because someone else insists they deserve it? Even if whatever they wanted is "easy" and cost you little, if anything, I bet you'd be a bit put out that someone had the audacity to assume such a thing about you.

Look, I'm currently a free user too, but will not remain so the moment I can squeeze a few bucks out of my budget. In the past, I've paid a lot more for a lot less, so in the meantime, I'm just grateful that I have access to what fast has become a very important tool in in my life.

On the upside, EN reminders themselves haven't been available on all clients for all that long, so who knows, recurring ones could be just around the corner! Or perhaps a nice new sock print is nearing it's debut...

• Like 2

@Wordsgood - I agree entirely, a simple solution is for people to use a diary if recurring reminders are that important. I use Evernote for practically everything but for some things such as managing future appointments etc. etc. a diary is the perfect tool.

• Like 1

One way to have a recurring reminder is to reset the date after the completing the current occurrence.  Add 8/1 to your note, change it to 9/1 when you have recurred on 8/1.  Tag it with "Recur" if you like so you can find them all.  

Perhaps not as elegant as some stand alone solutions, but works within EN, keeps all your stuff in one place (one version of the truth always being best, in my eyes anyway), and has you ready should EN ever add recurring reminders.  FWIW. 

• Like 2

+1 Would be great.

Is it now already possible to store a search as a link like it is implemented with the notes ?

Then I would be able to have an pop up reminder on my phone with a search link in it.

I klick it and get all notes taged with ToDo, now, important.

And that with each reminder possibility a normal smartphone calender has. E.g. daily, monthly, every tuesday and so on.

Would be not a workaround just a usefull integration.

regards PHi

+1 Be like the heart that beats!

And if you really really want to be fantastic, you should not only allow for fixed intervals of repetition, but also include a feature for intervals of decreasing frequency.

Ah, here's the thing though. Evernote does not claim to be a To Do app. Their stated goal is to be a way to collect and store digital data.

I've personally found the best way to deal with appointments and tasks is to use an app dedicated to such a function. If you wish to keep everything connected (so to speak) in an Evernote framework, then your best bet at this point is to get one of the 3rd Party apps offered through their app center.

All to-do app have the possibility to introduce reminders...Evernote no (°!°)

• Like 1

Please add another one to this list. I can't understand why it's takings remote so long to create a recurring task/reminder...

Come on Evernote, get your finger out!

I used the repeat functionality in RTM for a while, but couldn't get used two double notifications. I have settled to not click/tap "Done" in Evernote, but just change the due date to the next occurrence. Often I just put "Repeat every week on Sunday" or similar as first line in the note. Surprisingly this works fine for me.

that doesn't work for me it will only work when en incorporate recurring reminders, i don't know why they haven't yet it should be simple as they already have it set up for 1 remidner why not multiple?

• Like 1

that doesn't work for me it will only work when en incorporate recurring reminders, i don't know why they haven't yet it should be simple as they already have it set up for 1 remidner why not multiple?

It's their party,  Evernote get to choose the music.  If it's not available yet I'd guess it's part of a bigger plan that we don't know about,  or its not as easy as it looks.  If you're up for using any external software at all,  try some of the 'to-do' apps that integrate with Evernote.  I use TickTick.

I am astounded that EN hasn't yet implemented recurring notes, it is a feature on even the most simple of apps. I read here a number of suggestions for using other apps for that purpose but I don't want to use several apps when EN covers so many other functions.

When they are regularly releasing new features, I don't understand why this feature isn't included, particularly when the basic reminder is already there.

I don't like to see the tone of some of these messages.  It's one thing too ask for a feature.  However it's sad to berate or belittle Evernote staff. The feature may be important to you; however that doesn't mean it's important for the product.

And the comments that state how simple it would be to implement the request. That doesn't seem to intelligent.

If you need recurring reminders right now, use an alternate product.  I use The Apple Remider feature. As to the task management comments, Evernote is adequate for me.  If I needed additional features, I would use an alternate product but I would want it to interface with my Evernote data.

I use Evernote for brief notes, but for me its main strength is as a digital filing cabinet.

• Like 2

That's great David, as long as it suits you, the rest of us can go to hell. Some people would prefer to use the one app for several functions rather than use several apps. Apart from that, the Evernote team said almost 2 years ago that they would include this in a future release, of course, they didn't say how far into the future.