(Archived) Missing notes, please help

lawyerlady

i was literally looking at one note on my iPad and went to my desktop computer (Windows PC) to view that same note, and it was missing from my Evernote account on that computer. I tried every way to search for it (and some other notes I realized are missing) and it doesn't come up. Then I noticed that it says I only have 285 notes... according to my iPad, I have 767 notes! 

My iPad is right (I am still looking at the notes on my iPad that aren't showing up on my computer)... how do I get my computer to get up to date with my iPad?? I synced a few times and it told me right away that my syncing is complete, but nothing changed. I looked at the activity log and my latest activity is from yesterday, even though I created new notes and made changes etc., last night and today, that aren't showing up in the activity log. (And many of the notes that aren't appearing on my computer's version of Evernote are older than today or yesterday... for instance, one is dated in its title 6/12/2013, while one is dated 6/18/2013... none of these are showing up.

Should I uninstall Evernote from my Windows PC and re-install it? Please help, this is extremely frustrating. 

• Level 5*

Hi. Let's take a look at your account at www.evernote.com first. Could you tell us how many notes are displayed there? Please make sure that your login information is exactly the same (the same username and password).

This matches what my iPad says. 

Recently I moved all my Notes into "Inbox," deleted all other notebooks/notebook stacks, and made two other notebooks: "Processed" and "Matt" (my husband/ shared notebook). As I went through the Inbox notes to give them tags or keywords, I then moved them to "Processed." So now Evernote.com says I have 720 notes in my Inbox, 44 notes in my Processed notebook and 3 in my Matt notebook. That sounds about right (I didn't make it very far in processing the notes so far ha ha). It also says I have 56 notes in the Trash.

This only gets more confusing. I just looked on my laptop to see what that version of Evernote says. (It has Windows 7). It shoes 680 notes. 635 in Inbox, 40 in Processed and 3 in Matt. It says 2 conflicting changes. (My desktop says 1 conflicting change).

One of the notes I was trying to find on my desktop shows up on my laptop. the other note does not (it doesn't show up in my desktop or laptop... just iPad).

• Level 5*

Hi. I just want to make sure I understand correctly. All of the notes are on the web, right? If so, this means that everything has properly synced from your iPad, and we can take that out of the equation. The Web client tells you what is on Evernote's servers.

It sounds like a lot of things are happening on the Windows end, and you might want to wait until everything finishes processing. In the meantime, use the Web in order to keep from creating any problems.

Once we get past this point, and everything is settled, you shouldn't run into any more problems with syncing. It is usually a background operation that you don't have to think about.

Yes, everything is correct on the Web. And on my iPad. Things are not correct on my Windows devices (laptop and PC).

The strange thing is is that all the recent changes and additional notes that I was making were done on my Windows devices, not the iPad. When I moved all my notes and deleted my notebooks, it was on the Windows PC that is now the most out of date/incorrect! I also moved some notes and added some notes on my laptop. So the two places where I made no changes to any notes and did no work on Evernote stuff-- the Web client and my iPad-- are the only ones that are correct. So yes somehow the sync did work and that's good but I don't know how the information went missing from the version on my computers or how to restore it. I am afraid to touch/make any changes to any notes or anything on my iPad or the web client, for fear that they too will get all messed up! So I am just pausing and not doing anything with Evernote, which is a shame because I had set part of today aside to work on a lot of things I use with Evernote-- my daily and weekly review tasks, work, and some finances. 

It it matters, I just got the laptop about a week ago and installed Evernote on it. I also recently installed Evernote on the PC-- within the last month or so. I believe i have had Evernote on my iPad since I got it, a couple months ago at the most. I upgraded Evernote all over the place (including on my work computer, which I'm not at but which is the only place I used to use Evernote before lately trying to use it more seriously), a week or so ago when I read about the new upgrade with the reminders feature. So maybe it's a problem with the new version or update or something??

• Level 5*

I'm not sure what could have happened. If it were me, I'd take an extra computer, download Evernote onto it, sync, and see what happens. If everything looks good, back that up onto an external drive (just in case), erase Evernote from all of your other Windows devices (don't open the app and delete notes, because that will sync, but you need to uninstall the app -- I recommend revo uninstaller), and then start the process again. For good measure, I'd backup all of your computers as well. To capture your Evernote data, we're only talking about a few minutes, so backups are always a good idea.

Basically, if it is OK on the Web and you install Evernote, then it will do all of the work for you by syncing everything. There shouldn't be any discrepancies, and it shouldn't have anything to do with when you downloaded the software. I'm unclear about all of this moving of notebooks and deleting things, so that is one concern. I'm assuming this is all of the processing.

If all of this sounds scary, you might want to try the support link (see my signature) and have them walk you through it all. The good news is that if it looks right on the Web, then you know it is all OK, and even if you uninstall Evernote and delete it, then it will be no problem.

Thank you so much. My husband fixed it for me, I showed him his thread because he is so much better with computers than I am. Now all my notes are back on all platforms. :) It was very frustrating but I'm glad it's all back. I appreciate the help GrumpyMonkey!

• Level 5*

Thank you so much. My husband fixed it for me, I showed him his thread because he is so much better with computers than I am. Now all my notes are back on all platforms. :) It was very frustrating but I'm glad it's all back. I appreciate the help GrumpyMonkey!

It doesn't sound like I helped much, but glad to hear that your husband got it working. Let us know how things go :)

You did help because you told me to go to the web and that if my files were there than they had synced and were not lost. This was a huge reassurance because I was freaking out. And my husband used the rest of what you said to make more sense out of fixing the problem than I could. ;)

So far everything is back to being synced correctly, yay.

• Level 5*

You did help because you told me to go to the web and that if my files were there than they had synced and were not lost. This was a huge reassurance because I was freaking out. And my husband used the rest of what you said to make more sense out of fixing the problem than I could. ;)

So far everything is back to being synced correctly, yay.

Well, I'm glad I could contribute to the solution :)

• 4 months later...

This is actually the same problem I am just experiencing. I did rearrange my notebooks on my Mac installation yesterday. Everything is working perfectly on my iPad, the iPhone, my Mac and the web interface. However, the Windows installation is now missing over 300 notes.

Even a reinstall of the Windows version did not do the trick.

Best regards, 

Stef

Archived